Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dangerground

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 00:53 Edited at: 11th Sep 2009 22:16
Hi,

as some of you might remember, we have been working on the 2D actiongame Dangerground for nearly 2 years now. We are coming closer to the point where we can release the first playable demo, but we still need some time. However, to give you an idea of the projects current state, we decided to start this new thread.

In case you missed the first one, here is the link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=118390&p=0

Dangerground is a storydriven topdown-shooter set in the near future. It deals with an alternative virus-infection, making humans become zombie-like creatures. We developed a powerful scripting-engine, which helps us to create an exciting, not so say mindblowing gaming-experience nobody should miss. Especially not you.

We started as small team of two dark basic professional programmers, totally unable to create sprites. Fortunately some friendly people helped us out with textures, which partly can be seen in the screenshots below. Furthermore a friend of us (Joel Schumacher) strongly supports us and made our current lighting-system possible by writing a useful DLL, which is also going to feature different shaders like Bloom, Blur, colorcorrection and possibly water- and distortion-effects.

The gameplay mostly stayed the same - anyway, since the biggest changes were related to graphics, here are two new screenshots, showing off the brandnew lighting-system.

As you may recognize, there are no visible light-sources in this picture. This will be changed as soon as possible.

Better quality: http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3166/menuscreene.png

The second screenshot features invisible traffic lights as well as faked softshadows.

Better quality: http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1151/scr0022b.png

As you can see, Dangerground is still alive and we are working hard to finish the demo as soon as possible (probably 2010).

Thanks in advance for any feedback, constructive criticism and of course any other sort of support.

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 10:29
nicee
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow the game looks really good with the lighting and shadows. But there is a lack of zombies Make hordes of them

Your signature has been erased by a mod
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 13:19
Wow, graphically, that's impressive.

MaRo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 16:07
The lighting look impressive. I didn't noticed player character (right?) on the second screenshot for the first time, maybe it's a little bit too dark or it's just my monitor.

DarkGDK - 3D Canvas Pro - LithUnwrap - Gimp2 - CharacterFX
DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote: "But there is a lack of zombies Make hordes of them "

Don't worry about that.

Quote: "I didn't noticed player character (right?) on the second screenshot for the first time, maybe it's a little bit too dark or it's just my monitor."

Right, the screenshots are quite dark due to their purpose to demonstrate the lighting-system. The game itself will be lighter but still play at night most of the time. Furthermore the player, as well as other characters, will be able to use flashlights. Later leveldesign is meant to include more static lightsources such as street- and traffic lights, burning cars/crates/barrels etc.
By the way... we wanted the player character to be hidden in the dark because he looks totally out of place. He fits even worse than these paint-crates.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Pictures taking about 4 minutes to load, I'm not sure why. maybe Jpgs work better.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 01:45
Png is lossless compression; it can't blur over the hard to compress details like grit and dirt and noise like jpg can.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 02:04 Edited at: 11th Sep 2009 22:17
Sorry for that Pincho, I fixed it. Since the images loaded quite fast for me, I didn't really think about the file-size of nearly 2mb.
We might provide some better lighting-screenshots including flashlights and another new technique tomorrow.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 07:52
Im about to piss myself with joy right now. YEEEEEEEEEEEES ITS BACK AND LOOKING BETTER THAN EVER!

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
The screenshots are nearly impossible to see on my monitor. I hope it's just for testing the lighting(which is very impressive btw), and the actual game isn't that dark.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 22:11 Edited at: 11th Sep 2009 22:17
Finally (!) we uploaded the new screenshot. It took us about a week instead of one day but well... did anybody expect something different?

Well, here it is, including some sort of passive lighting in a kind of indoor-level and some (horribly painted and animated) Zombies. We tried to light the whole thing up a bit by using a not that dark ambient light, a less strong radial layer and more lights. So hopefully, the whole ambience is better than before now.

Better quality version: http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3466/scr0029.png

We implemented flashlights (which by the way is not able to create shadows similar to other light-sources... it just lights up a small area in front of the player) as well but decided to switch it off for the player on this screenshot since it looks rather strange atm. However, tell us what you think - thanks.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 01:53
I like it, the light coming through the windows is cool, but it feels a little to dry and static.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:37:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:37:48