Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Objects in Model Packs/Custom Media not showing up? Look no further...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 21:09
Yep, it's me again, and I've done some more personal research into some aspects of X10 which can leave users despising the program. I'm sure everyone has run into the problem of not seeing textures on any custom media and I have a few tips. Let's start:

If your objects displays the model but the texure shows white...

You should either:

-Change the damn texture from white!!! [/blunt joke]

-Open up the .fpi/fpe file.
-Scroll to the texture path of the object.
-Open another window and navigate to where the texture path is described by the file.
-If it is not there, obviously you may have put it in the wrong place or not put it there at all.

To resolve this...

Simply either find the texture and copy it to the required location or edit the texture path in the object's specs.

OR

Re-install/replace the item to see if it is a problem with that. If the installation is the cause, download it again or contact TGC.

OR

Whine. Nah :y noone should do that, it's trial and error, guys!

If the texture is there:

-Make sure it is not transparent.

-Try copying the texture and saving it as another file type (.dds, .tga etc.).

-Create another layer (Paint.NET, GIMP or Adobe Photoshop) and merge it down onto the base texture to remove the transparency filter on the base texture.

-Copy the base texture onto another layer and flatten it (merge all layers together) to strengthen the opacity if it is transparent.

If the object doesn't appear at all...

-Check the model path (although it would usually crash if the model wasn't there) and follow to the highlighted directory.

-Re-import the model or re-save it in the modelling program.

-Check the texture path (do the same as the first part)

-Verify the model you saved contained the right model parts (in Blender, you need to select all the parts of the model and hit "Merge objects" and export whilst selecting the model). Failing to do this can result in nothing being exported.

-Make sure the model has inverted normals (sometimes works without inverted normals) and that it's poly count is not too high, since that'll cause a stir with the engine.

-Check that it's shader (if ituses one) is a Pixel Shader 4.0 shader, FPSC X10 only works with PS4 shaders. The version should be down at the bottom of the file like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading, and I hope this has helped a lot of you working with custom media .

-SSG

Windows 7, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD + 320GB HDD, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Dual Core, ATi Radeon Sapphire HD 4550 512MB DDR3 with DirectX 11
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 21:14
Nice that someone has thought more of this issue. I shall have to look into it tomorrow.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 20:10
Yeah, I had to modify Wolf's segments' textures to get this to work, whilst a few other of my media needed modifying too.

-SSG

Windows 7, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD + 320GB HDD, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Dual Core, ATi Radeon Sapphire HD 4550 512MB DDR3 with DirectX 11
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 02:23
Hmmm...I have this problem(models not displaying) with the Civ soldiers from JFletcher on TGC store. I imported to x10 and everything works(except friend and neutral, but you can just put darkai as the main script) but the models don't display.
So, I'm wondering how to check for inverted normals, cause I think I've done everything else...wait, no, errr...how do you check shaders(like how do you see if it's shader 4.0 or not)?

"Why does everyone quote ButterFingers for their sig?"-Inspire
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 15:16 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 15:18
@le shorte,

To check for shaders, simply select the character/object and look for the 'effect' tab in the Visuals section. If it is blank, then that's a tough problem "/. Does it work when you select it as an enemy then? If so, it may be a problem with the script working the model. Sometimes the engine will automatically swap the current shader on the object to the 'skinning' or 'common' folder, but that only happens if the graphics card won't recognise the shader (I use an ATi HD 4550 and Shader Model 3.0 isn't supported on it so Bond1's Freaks and Abominations won't appear in X9 unless the shader is changed). Could you state your system specifications as it may be a component not the engine (although it's quite rare that a component won't work with the engine). I should have some pics soon of different media so keep an eye out too .

EDIT: Just to let you know, I may not respond as quickly since 1. I have MAJOR GCSE coursework to finish and 2. My Pc's adapter has stopped going online on our network so it's a bit of a sticky situation . Apologies if I do not get back as fast as you wish.

-SSG

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 15:48 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 21:24
My specs are:
Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
nVidia GeForce 9500GS(2.5gb total video memory)
6GB RAM
Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHZ
640GB HD

I think that's all you'd need to know for running programs...if I missed something, tell me and I'll get that info

EDIT: This is a screenie of what's happening...
EDIT(again): Forgot this bit, the fx shader by default is
"effectbank/bumpbone.fx"
EDIT(AGAIN!): Got all imported stuff to work. With the Civ soldiers, Jfletcher used TGA as the texture, so I changed it to DDS. So much for my stuff not being compatible with x10

Cheers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 21:39
I would've primarily noted first to check the image type as well since some .TGA files don't work with X10 "/. Good to hear it's fixed though.

-SSG

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 02:32
Lol yea, I'm kinda noob with that stuff, so I didn't think to check at first. But i did! So I don't completely fail...I think...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:14:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:14:16