Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [UDK] Small SciFi Level Test

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 22:55
Well, I've been working on this for a few weeks now, to get used to the various bells and whistles in UDK. One of the most important for this project being Level Streaming - so I can design the game in small, manageable chunks...

Since I can get more out of the smaller areas, most props are physically enabled, to make it a bit more fun. Story is something I'm keeping under wraps, but the basics is this: You are a person who has woken up in a cyrobed in an unknown facility. Your brain's functions are still numbed by the long, cold sleep, and your only hope to find out who - and where - you are is a voice over the comms aiding you through...

Beginning will be internal corridors and such with small fights, I'm saving up for that Dexsoft buggy thing so I can have a good cross country level with that - should be fun hopefully...

Any, here's some screenshots. Still WIP, and still subject to change/criticism:

Lounge hall area:

Service Corridor:

Small storage room:

...And finally, a habitation garden:

More to come soon hopefully.

Code eater
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 23:42
the screenshots look pretty sweet. Never heard on UDK before though. :S

Thanks,,,

Codeeater
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 00:35
wow, looks sweet, what's it like coding in Unreal?
Oh and area ll those stock models or did you make some? They certainly look very nice and polished!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 02:38
@Code Eater

It's basically a professional level UDK...

@Blobby

No coding required until I start editing major stuff. And most of the models are from the more polished media from my FPSC library. I can't model for my life myself - and can't hire anyone, no money, and no-one'd model all this with me for free...

Once I get money I'm raiding Dexsoft though...

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Great to see your progress CG.. Keen to see how far u can take it..
Storm4
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks sexy lol. What are you using to make the levels?

www.storm4.webs.com
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 10:23
He uses FPSC media and UDK media. And it looks like it is a perfect combo.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 12:30
Nah, IMO the normal maps are still too weak - image generated ones are hardly ever that good...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 01:40 Edited at: 19th Jun 2010 01:41
New update, quite proud of this considering it was made from a mental plan and in about two hours...

Outdoor valley area to break up the indoor corridors. Some hopefully interesting environments to explore in here, I'm liking the fog and God Rays as well - they seem to be a nice combo...

Here's a shot from the south:

Another from the North:

And a little InGame shot I liked:

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 03:01 Edited at: 19th Jun 2010 03:01
Very nice
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 13:10
Awesome job! Looks very neat! The outdoor scenes are the best ever!

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 13:55
They are brilliant. The only thing I've been scratching my head about is how to add custom HUDs and weapons in? How'd you get the HUDs to appear? And how did you get the pick-up to work ? I've added you on MSN anyway, I attached a little note to it so you know who it is .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 14:40
Thanks, the HUDs are default from the May build onwards. Also, the weapons can be unlocked in game for testing by holding Shift+Ctrl, and pressing '. Then type in allweapons...

That's how I get it for these shots, but I can show you how to get weapons in greater detail on MSN when I'm online...

More to hopefully come soon, I think UDK's alot better at outdoor scenes rather than indoor...

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 19:22
Ok cool thanks and yeah, those outdoor shots are some of the best I have seen CG, you need to show me how to edit terrain too .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 01:40
I can link you up with some good tutorials, but I've mainly been working on a couple of background features:

So here's a shot of the FPSC Tavor, in game and fully working (minus reload at least):

And a shot of the Suit light, which has easier than I thought it would be:

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 18:47 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 18:49
WOW, awesome! Can I ask you too which model formats UDK supports? And what to use to convert animated and non-animated ones? Sorry if I'm kinda jeopardising this thread lol, but it doesn't say about the formats or supported programs in the help guide "/. Still, awesome shots anyway .

-EDIT- I also forgot to say that I'm on MSN any time of the day, unless I'm at work with my dad during some weekdays .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 20:13
Nomad Soul kindly re-uploaded my tutorial on getting static meshes FPSC ready. Here's the link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170113&b=2

However, I haven't found a foolproof way of getting animated meshes in. EAI media especially is very problematic...

The Imperfect Sheep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 20:17
Sweet work CoffeeGrunt, you've already inspired me to start work on a UDK game. The FPSC media looks sweet with the terrain.

//Offtopic: I've added you on MSN. Hoping you can give me a few pointers
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 21:25
I'll have a look at that, thanks CG . I guess II can hold on with animated meshes for now . So are you manually adding the animation to the Tavor or something then? I really like the suit light too, quite a cool thing, and is that shadow the character?.

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 21:35
Yeh, the character's silhouetted because I added no other lights so the suit light was more obvious. It'll be an fps, the light's easier to see in TPS mode though...

The Tavor was quite difficult to get in UDK, and harder to get working as a weapon. I want to find a works-for-all method of getting animated meshes into UDK before I write another tutorial for it...

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 21:55
Ah I see, it'd be cool if you added a shadow support for the player in FPS mode and the ASE Exporter you attached in your tutorial is unreachable online as the site's down . Don't worry though, I can wait for the next tut .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 22:40
No look for the upload Nomad Soul put on his post. It should still work...

What do you mean "shadow support" btw?

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 22:56
Yeah I know, I DL'ed the one Nomad attached and the link for Google's ASE Exporter was dead lol.

By the shadow support I mean like in Crysis, where a shadow is cast from the player's body .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 11:53
The link is dead? Hmmm...I've attached it to this post then.

I'm not sure exactly how to enable the player shadow, I was gonna wait until I sorted out a custom player model before I did that...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 21:00
Thanks for attaching the plugin and I would've thought you'd have to tick "Receive Shadows?" and "Cast Shadows?" to enable it, so it casts and receives other shadows hitting it . But hey, I don't even know how to add terrain or make scripts in UDK .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 22:21
There is no player model in the editor to tick settings on...

Look up the 3D Buzz UDK Tutorial, and Hourence's site. They're the best resources for UDK...

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 22:36
So the player model is set via the player options? And cheers, I'll check the tuts in a bit .

-SSG

--=. ,=--

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:30:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:30:57