Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Official 2011 forum Presidency campaigning thread!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 19:43
Before I begin, allow me to speak with you as the official President of the TGC forums, and address some of these rumors and allegations circulating Apollo about me. I did not have intellectual relations with that book! I am not a crook! Rhyme scheme unintentional, but what a hook! The best friend of my Vice President, Agent Dink, is recovering quickly from being shot in the face by the VP during their hunting trip. We still haven't found weapons of mass destruction in Middle Earth, but I'm telling you, they exist!

Amidst all of this controversy, I've decided to step down as Forum President. We fought a long, hard campaign back in 2008, (I announced my run on page 7) beating out some very serious competition along the way. In the end, the moderators attempted to steal my victory from me, but with the help of an unnamed moderator turn-coat, and through a violent coup to overtake IanM's moon base, our geek army won the gruesome civil war -- carpe diemed, if you will -- and after a short time as a moderator myself, I was officiailly declared forum President.

My administration has accomplished a great deal. We reduced the presence of LOLCatz by 90%, reduced forum taxes to a whopping 0.0%, fireproofed Apollo, eradicated threads about Paris Hilton(when was the last time you saw one of those?), and restocked the soda machine in the mod lounge. I'd say that's a pretty impressive track record. But I've been President for many years now; I'm well into my third term now! So amidst the controversies, I've decided to properly step down as Forum President.

In my final act as your first official President, I'm going to administer open, fair elections. All forum members who have been signed up here as of April 20th, 2011 are eligible to run. Read through the 24 pages of the last forum elections thread to see how we all campaigned, and to learn more about how I dominated the crud out of everyone who tried running against me . Here are the rules for the election:

ELECTION RULES
You must be a forum member as of April 20th, 2011
You must have announced a running mate (vice president) by May 9th, 2011
Presidential terms are now limited to one year, beginning and ending on May 15th of each year
You can run for re-election to your heart's content

Voting begins on May 10th in a voting thread that I'll create that day. Everyone will have five days to cast their votes, with the votes being tallied on May 15th, and the winner being announced that day. Everyone will be allowed to submit one (1) vote. If the next President doesn't host an election thread in 2012, any moderator can make one, if they decide to do so, so don't try to be as totalitarian as... well... I was.

I'm going to miss my Forum President banner. I wish there was one for former Presidents, lol Good luck to all of the prospective candidates!

In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 19:53
I thought this day would never come..........

Good luck in your days as a Former President of TGC.

And good luck to whoever attempts to take up the mantle on these boards as well, I imagine you'll need it!

-Keith

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 19:53
You put a lot of thought into this thread. Laughed for about five minutes lol.

Enjoy life as Former Mr. President.

AKA Jenkins
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm, interesting. Just curious, what function does the president actually serve? Do they actually do anything relating to forum moderation, or is it more like the royal family where they don't actually serve a purpose but to look good?

I just now realized I've had a typo in my signature for the past 3 years.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 20:21
@Crispex, well it was originally a joke but it got taken up seriously. Now the forum president gets his own army of secret agents.

Haven't seen you around in a while Matt, what happened to MIsoft? Everything's been quiet there recently

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Vote Indicium, or forever be given virtual saddened looks.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I accept!

woah, it feels good to be president!

Tell me if there's a broken link to images in a thread I post, and I'll fix 'em.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 21:54
Quote: " what function does the president actually serve? Do they actually do anything relating to forum moderation, or is it more like the royal family where they don't actually serve a purpose but to look good?"

As blobby mentioned, it started out as a gag, but it grew and grew until one day I ended up with a mod badge, and then the spiffy badge I'm sporting today. It's pretty much a ceremonial title, but you do get full access to IanM's moon base and free .

Quote: "Haven't seen you around in a while Matt, what happened to MIsoft? Everything's been quiet there recently"

It's been a really nutty few years for me. MISoft bit off more than we could chew by trying to develop two different games at the same time, and it took its toll on us. Last year, I sold our two domains to an app company with our same name, and I've courted a few offers to buy some of our game designs, though I've never felt like the offers were fair for the amount of work the MISoft team had put into stuff. Since then, I've been focusing on music and writing, and in the past week or two, I've been working solo on a new FPSC game. I've also been playing around with the idea of developing a text adventure game for Facebook, though on the development end that's never going to happen without a lot of help. Anyway, that's what I've been up to

Quote: "Good luck in your days as a Former President of TGC
Enjoy life as Former Mr. President"

Cheers! I'm kinda bummed that my Presidential library will be built entirely with stock media, and I don't get to fly around in TGC-One anymore, but three years as President really puts some age on a guy!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 22:05
Is there anything that you've felt you left "unfinished"?

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 01:37
I am announcing my candidacy for president.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 02:40 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 00:02
Hi, my name's Alex, and today I'll be auditioning for the part of the irritating, extremist candidate who no one really votes for but who causes a lot of controversy, genuinely thinks he has a chance, and makes people question the validitaty of democracy... all you UKers think Nick Griffin.
Anyone who wants to be my vice, go right ahead... you're not getting your greasy paws on my dictatorship anyway, but you never know when you need a fall guy. [u][/u]

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 02:49 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2011 02:51
president ham

sure has a nice ring to it i to will put myself forward for this

all who vote for me will be granted the privilege to worship at my feet on the first wednesday of every second week of the month as well as being entered into a free prize draw for my latest blockbusting book
Being Henry Ham

oh & there will be cake

cheers henry

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 02:56
Quote: "cake"

You rang?

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 03:55
A vote for budokaiman is a vote for bacon.

Math is like a toilet. They both go in the other direction in Australia.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 05:21 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2011 05:21
I support phaelax for president.

I haven't heard word from IanM's moon base in a while. I'm deploying an exploratory team, and setting up a base-camp adjacent to the base. It looks lifeless so far.

Tell me if there's a broken link to images in a thread I post, and I'll fix 'em.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 05:40
Quote: "oh & there will be cake"

Quote: "You rang?"

The cake is a lie.

a.k.a WOLF!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 08:35
The moon base camp has been accounted for in the budget, your team has a go.

I called chuck norris, he says he'll back me up. So anyone running against me is running against him. I'm just saying...

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 15:40
Quote: "but you do get full access to IanM's moon base and free "

Hopefully, this time, I'll get someone who doesn't play their music so loud. Honestly, who plays their polka music that loudly?

Quote: "I haven't heard word from IanM's moon base in a while. I'm deploying an exploratory team, and setting up a base-camp adjacent to the base. It looks lifeless so far."

I'll move back in when the polka president moves out.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 16:36 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2011 16:36
Quote: "I called chuck norris, he says he'll back me up."

I've got Bruce Lee, so I'll take my chances. I've also got the support of this puppy

Unfortunately, he's suicidal so every vote against me drives him further into depression. Have a heart, vote budokaiman.

Math is like a toilet. They both go in the other direction in Australia.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 17:10
I knew someone would break out the Chuck Norris Card!

-Keith

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 17:40 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2011 17:42
Vote for me. Unlike some others I know, I won't stand for killing whales, stomping on small children, or putting mercury in our drinking water.

Vote Jerico2day. He won't spread bird-flu to unborn babies like some other people he knows.

[center]
Join the TGC Group!
http://tehcodez.groups.live.com
OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 17:49
I'll try and run. I am pro-banning, anti-fpsc gun control, and I plan to lower the taxes even more..... (maybe get the forum to pay you)

I have the support of Obama, David Cameron, and Queen Elizabeth II. Oh and also Oprah.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 18:40
Quote: "I called chuck norris, he says he'll back me up. So anyone running against me is running against him. I'm just saying..."

nuff said

cheers henry

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 18:59
I'll have to change my sig at last!

Well, it's been fun being the master of unknowable knowledge. If only I'd stayed away from all those books with teeth...

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 19:46
I'll run if I can find a vice president. Kiwi, If I win there's a space for secretary of unknowable knowledge still open

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 21:07
Quote: "Is there anything that you've felt you left "unfinished"?"

Plenty! I feel my administration didn't invade enough third-world countries in the pursuit of blood diamonds, my MI-π^ agents never stole Jeku's World Cup match ball, and I never got to polarize the forums by creating different political parties (the book party versus teh codez party, anyone?). Hopefully the next President can accomplish all that I left undone!

Quote: "Hopefully, this time, I'll get someone who doesn't play their music so loud. Honestly, who plays their polka music that loudly?"

Not just polka... HARDCORE polka! I tried inviting you upstairs countless times but you always turned me down. You haven't lived until you've been in a mosh pit with accordians and buckled shoes!

Quote: "Well, it's been fun being the master of unknowable knowledge. If only I'd stayed away from all those books with teeth..."

You've been the Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge since I was campaigning, I hope the next President keeps you on their staff! To keep knowledge unknowable is unreasonably irreplaceable.

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 04:01
Could we have a presidential debate?

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd run. Even though it's not worth much, sure, why not. I can offer nothing but highly opinionated posts. That's pretty much it.

I just now realized I've had a typo in my signature for the past 3 years.
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 11:14
I see a lot of Presidents, but no Vice Presidents, so if anybody's desperate, then I'd be willing to take the position.

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 15:36
Cheesecake you can be my running mate if you wish.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 16:33 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 16:35
I think Cheese would be much happier to run with someone who promises to:

- Not steal candy from babies
- Not to collect stamps to send emails
- Not support internet caps
- Not club baby seals

Just sayin'

[center]
Join the TGC Group!
OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 18:17
@Jerico: Well I just wanted a lollipop, don't be so judgmental.

And here are some of my policies as well as how my administration will be set up.

OutdoorGamer Administration

Policies
- To further the advancement of peoples interest into the gaming world as well as game development.

- To make sure every member has a voice and to ensure equal rights for all members.

- To encourage creativity, fun, and diversity throughout the forums.

(I may list more but these are my 3 main policies)

Cabinet

President
- I will do everything I can to make sure the forum runs smoothly and efficiently with less focus on flame wars and more focus on development.

Vice President
- This vice president will assist me in all presidential duties and will be the second deciding factor that will help me make tough calls.

Secretary of Forum Relations
- This person will have the goal of settling disputes and/or having members make compromises that will hopefully make each side happy. They will see if there are any ways to make the forums more user friendly and better for the community.

Secretary of Member Advancement
- This person will set up contests as well as other demonstrations that tests the talents of all members and encourages further development.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge
- This person will use his knowledge to help new members with the transition. They also use their unknowable knowledge to be awesome.

Secretary of General Meetings
- This person will at all regular meetings keep a record of everything stated and new items that members would like to see brought up before a meeting.

Meetings

There will be formal monthly meetings along with informal meetings during the month. During the formal meetings matters may be brought up debated on and voted on. During informal meetings matters may be brought up but may not be voted on until the next regularly scheduled formal meeting.

Formal meetings will be instructed by Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition. I will have a list of motions up, but if you do not say correctly I will not noob slap you and will just take it how you meant it.

Informal meetings will just be meetings where people can talk about ideas and/or any other matters that may come to hand.

The meetings will be on Skype, however if members do not wish to get Skype but still have business that they wish to be brought up they can send the Secretary of General Meetings their business or idea.

I hope you all vote for me. I plan to work my hardest to ensure that this forum be the best it can.

Regards,
OutdoorGamer

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 18:39 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 18:40
I will not stand for Rhetoric. Rhetoric is the art of the devil. Along with things like rhetoric, I will not stand for balderdash, elocution, grandiose grandiloquence or flatulence.

If you vote for Jerico2day, it's a vote for the people!

[center]
Join the TGC Group!
Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 19:02
I will run as a vice president
I can be a running mate if anyone wants to

The Host Is Aware Of Your Presents

FOR THE LITTLE AFRO DUDE!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 19:28
I will be your running mate Jericho, if you want.

Here is my political bio:
* I stand for National Anthems and urination.
* I prefer good things to bad things.
* The reason I got into politics was in the hope that one day I'd be able to change the classification of ambiguous fruits that are like vegetables (e.g. pumpkins, tomatoes) to fregetables.

Be good.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 19:45 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 19:50
Fregetable? THAT WAS ONE OF MY GOALS

Let's do this.

[center]
Join the TGC Group!
Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 20:23
I say fregetables as freg-etables (as in forgettable..)

An integer walks into a bar, the barman says "Sorry, we don't serve your type here"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 21:11
I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessing on this forum and on all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof!

The only man who makes no mistake is the man who does nothing. As your president I promise to make lots of mistakes for all of you! Wait no, that doesn't sound right.....

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 21:53
Hey Phaelax, do you need a running mate?

The Host Is Aware Of Your Presents

FOR THE LITTLE AFRO DUDE!
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 22:47 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 22:48
If Phaelax and Jerico combine their tickets, they have the endorsement of TGC's first-ever President. I'm 50/50 behind endorsing one or both of them, so if they got together on the same ticket, I'd be 100/0. but only if they'll keep Kiwi on as the Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge, and if they'll promise to feed my pet velociraptor, which I need to leave at the moon base because the laws here on Earth are so redonkulous. For everyone else, you'll have to earn my endorsement with clever uses of photoshop, the same way the Rock/ Dink administration won back in '08

Presidential Edit: Examples of our unbeatable campaign awesomeness -

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 02:03
Vote for your favorite candidate now!
http://dbcodecorner.com/?page=poll

If I left anyone out or added someone who doesn't wish to run, let me know.

This is a preliminary poll. When our current leader tells us its ready rock, polls will be reset and remain open for a specified period of time.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 02:15 Edited at: 25th Apr 2011 02:16
I have several anouncements to make with regards to my policies.

If I, INH (A Vote for Me is a Vote for The System) am made forum president, I shall cut taxes by 100%! That's right, taxes will go all the way down to zero. Now, you may be think, but surely this is an incredible gift from the heavens, there surely must be some sort of catch!
Well, you'd be right.

There is a catch. (And stop calling me shirley!)

Because there will no longer any income into the TGC administration coffers as a result of this new policy, certain new rules will have to be established to keep the population from rising too high. Some of you may consider this unfair, but I assure you it is for the good of all people.

Firstly, the following groups of people will no longer be allowed inside the borders of Apolloland:

Dark Basic Classic users: DarkBasic is smelly and old. These people are stuck in the past and contribute nothing to society, so must be culled.
Dark Basic Pro users: As we all know, the Pro in DB Pro stands for proffessional, which makes all DBPro users elitists and snobs. We don't need them bringing us down.
FPS Creator users: It is a well know fact that all FPSCers are noobs and know nothing of game design. They are also homeless and smelly. We don't need them cluttering up our forums.
FPSC X10 users: Anyone who can afford this is a rich idiot with no day job. No Jobs means No Income, and No Income means you're out of my country.
Dark GDK users: I don't know what the hell this thing is but the letter K scares me so I want it as far away from me as possible.
Anyone who does not own a TGC product: And by this I mean a product specifically made by the TGC. None of this RealmMaker, GameCrafter rubbish. What is that anyway?

As you can clearly see, these policies will cut the forum population by an estimated 99.9%. We hope to be able to deport everyone by late October.

This just about sums up my policies for the next year, and hopefully even more development can be made over course of my expect six terms in office! I wish the best of luck to all my competition (even though they are scum from the very bowels of hell) and with my tongue firmly in my cheek bid you to vote well. And when I say well, I mean for me. Multiple times if possible.

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 02:48
Quote: "Dark Basic Classic users: DarkBasic is smelly and old. These people are stuck in the past and contribute nothing to society, so must be culled.
Dark Basic Pro users: As we all know, the Pro in DB Pro stands for proffessional, which makes all DBPro users elitists and snobs. We don't need them bringing us down.
FPS Creator users: It is a well know fact that all FPSCers are noobs and know nothing of game design. They are also homeless and smelly. We don't need them cluttering up our forums.
FPSC X10 users: Anyone who can afford this is a rich idiot with no day job. No Jobs means No Income, and No Income means you're out of my country.
Dark GDK users: I don't know what the hell this thing is but the letter K scares me so I want it as far away from me as possible.
Anyone who does not own a TGC product: And by this I mean a product specifically made by the TGC. None of this RealmMaker, GameCrafter rubbish. What is that anyway?"

I have to disagree with what your saying. Yes, their are plenty of noobs out there, but if we just turn them away and don't try to teach them anything, what will we gain? The answer is nothing. The entire point of most of this software is to teach. No, you will not learn the ins and outs overnight however if they try hard enough they will get the hang of it. We all start out noobs but work are way up to something great. And as for the snobs etc. How can you honestly say something like that when I'm sure many of them would gladly help out if you ever needed help. You can't judge a few good apples by one bad one.

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:16
I don't know if you are playing along OutdoorGamer but clearly Insert Name Here is just being overly sarcastic which makes his post even funnier. Especially the FPSC comment warms my heart

You can also vote me but don't bother because I don't caaaare!

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:19 Edited at: 25th Apr 2011 03:20
Quote: "I have to disagree with what your saying. Yes, their are plenty of noobs out there, but if we just turn them away and don't try to teach them anything, what will we gain? The answer is nothing. The entire point of most of this software is to teach. No, you will not learn the ins and outs overnight however if they try hard enough they will get the hang of it. We all start out noobs but work are way up to something great. And as for the snobs etc. How can you honestly say something like that when I'm sure many of them would gladly help out if you ever needed help. You can't judge a few good apples by one bad one."

You know he's joking right? The point of that is, indeed, to laugh. We all know that it's not true... (aside from the FPSC-ers being noobs of course haha.)

I might as well run for office too. Who doesn't want a Grumpy Grill Cheese Samich with a Santa Hat as president?

AKA Jenkins
OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 03:53 Edited at: 25th Apr 2011 04:35
I figured he was joking, but at the same time alot of people do get bashed a good bit and alot of people take offense.

@INA: I apologize for getting worked up over that, just some people do mean what they say, and I just didn't want their feelings hurt.

Anyways my campaign mascot...

*I encourage you all not to watch the whole video.... it is a slight waist of time*

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 04:34
I thought he was serious also.

Equal rights for both Pro and Classic users alike!

I'm still preparing my speech.

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 04:36
When are we giving speeches? I'll start mine if we are.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 04:38
I assume whenever you post it

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 04:42
@Phaelax: So true. However, I may wait a little.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:38:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:38:49