Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Candy Wars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 10:17 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 07:49

Copyright (c) IndiMasters 2011. All Rights Reserved.

Ok, I'm at it again! Welcome to the Candy Wars thread (temporary project name)!

About three weeks ago I started this project, but it's coming along so well (and I could use that support) that I decided to post it.

In a (candied) nutshell, here's the game concept: Player's fly around in a wintery-sugary-happy wonderland in ships/hovercrafts made out of candy cane material. All weapons will be either candy or winter-themed (such as snow-flake blasters, etc.), but most will be candy. This isn't all there is to it, though.

The rounds will be short, because players will use money from kills to buy new weapons and upgrades between rounds. So, the general concept is fairly common, but the difference in this game is the the fun candy theme and the extra emphasis I plan to put on the shop and on the "techy-ness" of some of the weapons (see video: "Guided Candy" ).

The game already supports LAN connections, as well as split-screen mode. This will therefore be a game that people can buy and play right away, even if they have only one computer. Of course, player's will be able to enter an IP Address to connect over the internet.

I'm quite confident in how this project is going, and see no problems completing what I have in mind. I hope you all feel the same way. Thanks for reading!

Videos
Latest Video Demonstrating LAN gameplay: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433318304/candy-war-game-set-in-a-winter-wonderland

Screenshots

Added presents! They work as a great level boundary.

New sky:

Was having some fun modeling a frosted cookeh:

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 11:05
looking nice! Hope this one works out well

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 12:52
The video looks quite dark (the screenshots could need a bit more saturation as well), but apart from that it's a cool and, obviously, rather unique style.

Is there any chance we get to see some actual gameplay soon? The first video awakes the impression that the game plays comparably slow, but that might change once there are more players playing. So a video showing the LAN mode would really help here.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 21:04 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2011 23:03
Thanks guys.

You're absolutely right Mr Kohlenstoff, it is kind of dark. How's this?

Quote: "The first video awakes the impression that the game plays comparably slow"

It probably seems like that, but really it's hard to track the other player. Maybe I will speed up the ships a bit.

EDIT: Ok, I decided, based on your suggestion Mor Kohlenstoff, and also a general feeling I've had all along, that the gameplay does indeed need to feature closer and quicker combat (which is why I said "ships/hovercrafts" in my first post ). I therefore have made the ships hovercrafts, which feels cooler to drive and is much closer to the fight. Here's a new video showing what it's like. I'm much happier with how it turned out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433318304/candy-war-game-set-in-a-winter-wonderland/posts/83668

I'll post a video of LAN combat soon.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 23:45
Quote: "it is kind of dark. How's this?"

Much better indeed. But it might still need a bit more saturation. It seems as if it's going to be a rainy day if you know what I mean.
The theme just longs for some extreme colors, if you ask me. Could be a problem with the usual DBP rendering settings, I'm not really sure since I've never seriously worked with 3D.

The gameplay in the video looks great. Seems very fluid and immersive.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 00:19 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 00:27
Quote: "Much better indeed. But it might still need a bit more saturation. It seems as if it's going to be a rainy day if you know what I mean.
The theme just longs for some extreme colors, if you ask me. Could be a problem with the usual DBP rendering settings, I'm not really sure since I've never seriously worked with 3D"

I know what you mean. All I changed (except for the fog) to get this new lighting is I used "set normalization on". DBP can kind of ruin lighting. I'll look into editing maybe the gamma or something and see how that changes it.

Quote: "The gameplay in the video looks great. Seems very fluid and immersive."

Thanks.

EDIT: Do you think maybe it's just the fog? (also changed the backdrop just to see what it's like)

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 00:36 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 00:37
Quote: "Do you think maybe it's just the fog?"

Possible - the objects don't look as dark as before on this new screenshot, not sure if the missing fog caused that. It does certainly look brighter and happier now (and that's what I'd expect from the scenario), so in my opinion you should keep it that way for now.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 01:32 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 10:50
Ok, will do for now. Thanks.

Added some trees (still need some editing). REALLY improves the look of the level!

EDIT: and here's the LAN-game video!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433318304/candy-war-game-set-in-a-winter-wonderland
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 11:22
The video looks really fun. Have you considered making the levels a bit more interactive? Like including certain events (storms, snow slides...) or things like jump pads or some kind of triggers?

And you're right, the trees make quite a difference. I'm generally surprised how much you already got done since yesterday. You seem to be really productive.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 03:02
I'm definitely going to add some interactivity! I was actually thinking of jump pads myself. And yes, I am kind of on a roll. This is a really fun project to code.

Was having some fun modeling a frosted cookeh:

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 07:00
Like I already said via email, fantastic looking project.
I urge everyone to donate, I am really looking forward to this game!
If I may ask though, what will our money go to? Models, plugins, something else?
Anyway, fantastic progress for just 3 weeks!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 09:06 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 07:35
Thanks again DarkByNight.

EDIT:

New list of reasons I need your support (circumstances have changed):

If the funding succeeds many things will happen. First, I will most likely buy the Bonanza package so that I can get some shaders and lightmapping into the game. There is also a chance I would use Dark Physics, which is in the pack as well, to do some fun physics stuff in the game, though this is undecided.

The other thing the money will go toward is making the hard copies once it's finished. I know hard copies are not necessary, but some people like to have it in their hands, and I've always wanted to complete my own game and sell it in hard copies.

I will also use the money to set up a server so that there can be a server list. The game will be totally playable without it since there is split-screen mode, as well as LAN (or enter an internet IP Address), but I want to expand the features of the game.

I will also probably need to purchase game controllers so I can ensure that the game works with some of the more common devices.

Part of the money will be needed to advertise as well, so that there is a good online community. This, as I have said, is secondary.

I will probably love you if you donate here: My KickStarter Project
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 02:46 Edited at: 8th Jun 2011 22:55
Haven't done a huge amount of work, but one thing I've been trying to get to look right is the sky/background. I feel like I finally got it to look good (oh, and I am aware that the tree needs some editing ):

EDIT: Added a background model so that the map doesn't look like it's isolated from everything else.

EDIT: Added presents! They work as a great level boundary.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 12:03
Looking good! If you want any more help for graphics or logos or anything just ask!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 23:55 Edited at: 9th Jun 2011 23:56
Thanks man (for both the compliment and the offer)! You know, it's true that I am going to be needing some interface for the game. I'll email you.

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 04:41 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 04:42
Does every kickstarter project start slow and then burst?
I sure hope so, it would really suck to see this project die!
I'd personally say this looks a hell of a lot better than some 2d game that raised 25000 dollars. o.O;
Ohh well, not every person's taste is the same.
Great work man!
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 09:15
haha! Nice job as usual Sam! This is going to be hilarious to play!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 09:38
Quote: "Does every kickstarter project start slow and then burst?
I sure hope so, it would really suck to see this project die!
I'd personally say this looks a hell of a lot better than some 2d game that raised 25000 dollars. o.O;
Ohh well, not every person's taste is the same.
Great work man!"

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this! I think they do generally start slow, but I don't know for sure whether mine is where it should be at this point. I feel like there should be at least a couple more supporters by now. It would be so awesome if people started pitching in. I read that 90% of projects that reach 25% of their goal finish successfully!

But thanks again for getting it started. If you know any rich uncles, feel free to send them the link or post on Facebook. I too can't wait to see what the project becomes.

Quote: "haha! Nice job as usual Sam! This is going to be hilarious to play!"

Thanks! I know. All kinds of candy, cookies and cake will be flying everywhere; it will make for some epic fights.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 00:59 Edited at: 12th Jun 2011 01:00
Added an explosion effect for the ships (which are temporary by the way). Now, 3D pieces fly out from the ship, and can hurt other players. Here's an incredibly short video showing the effect (and yes, I realize that the 2D explosion particle is not facing the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQQWQVCXOs&feature=youtube_gdata

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 20:26
Hehe I guess your going to have to see your own body when I own you!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 20:13
We shall see which one gets owned.

I haven't been working on this for the past few days because all week long I have a one-week summer class, which is 8 hours of lecture a day! I'm sure you all understand.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 22:43 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 22:43
Quote: "I haven't been working on this for the past few days because all week long I have a one-week summer class, which is 8 hours of lecture a day! I'm sure you all understand."

I don't understand... You work! You work now! *starts hitting with stick* lol joking. I hope you are enjoying the one-week summer class... 8 hours of lecture sounds fun, wish I could be where you are... I hope you are getting my sarcasm.lol jk

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 23:23 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 23:24
Yessir! No more slacking I promise! Just please don't beat me!

Haha. Well, I know it sounds terrible (and in a way it is...8 hours is madness), but I love what I'm studying so it makes it much easier (the books of Hebrews through Revelation of the New Testament of the Bible).

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 07:31 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 07:50
Ok! I'm going to try to get some stuff done tomorrow. It's been a terribly tiring week, but it's finally over.

By the way, the donation level for the project has gone up! Hopefully this will encourage more people to help support it. I will be able to make it so much bigger and better if it gets funded. I've edited the reasons why I need the support on that page, and also in my earlier post, since some circumstances have changed.

ozmoz
Years of Service
User Offline
I like this sweet idea
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 04:59
Wow a 200 dollar pledge, that is quite sweet!
Go go go candy wars go!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 06:25
Haha, thanks guys.

I haven't been working on this like I would this week...even though my class is finished I have homework for it, and then the last class starts and ends next week. I'm also kind of waiting to see how the funding goes. But once I get back in the groove things should get rolling.

I'm still really toying with ideas to try to see how I can make this totally unique.

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 06:47
Ohh man that sucks, just got the message that the funding ended unsuccessfully.
I'm sorry man, I wish I could have pledged more but I don't know if that would have even helped.
Maybe the idea or graphics or something just wasn't in people's interest....
Anywho, I hope you keep developing despite this!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 09:39 Edited at: 16th Jul 2011 09:40
Thanks man. I appreciate very much what you did pledge. I guess people are just not interested, as you said. It's kind of a shame, but I can't expect everyone to donate to some game which has not even been made yet. I've now got to decide whether to continue it or not...

Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 00:15
I never eat a sweet in the same way!

it's a good idea !

good work !

I do what i do !!!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 23:50
I think you need to hang in there and show everyone here what us Oregon boys can do! Looks like a great game. It would be a shame for it to be uncompleted.

The fastfood zombie killer
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 03:06
Oh my, I wanna play, I wanna play! Lol, looks tasty bro. Keep at it!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 17:48
Hehhehe, those screenshots look very sugar sweet.
Nice stuff as usual, Uncle Sam! Will this only be online gaming? Or, are there plans to make single player too? I hope so.
That explosion effect is nice!
Anyways, keep up the good work.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 21:38 Edited at: 4th Aug 2011 21:40
Looks like a cool idea; its got an 'all in one' humour and action feel to it. The quality of the scenes are top class.

Just in my personal opinion, and I am not implying that you go with it because what you see in your vision is probably good anyway; but I would have also planned a single player storyline; it is difficult to get players to play against each other early on, with so few players online at the same time due to advertising limits. A a single player mode can keep them entertained until someone logs in.

Quote: "I guess people are just not interested, as you said. It's kind of a shame, but I can't expect everyone to donate to some game which has not even been made yet. I've now got to decide whether to continue it or not..."

Don't give up, years will pass and you will regret it later on. Even worse, someone else might steal your idea and make money out of it. Imagine travelling to work for an annoying boss; the managing gorilla of [insert company name here], and you have to look out an office window facing towards a giant poster that says "Microsoft Candywars, created by Joe Noobican for Windows and Xbox out now".

Start off simple and work your way up, even the tool you are using started off as a 'little' project. Chip in a few hundred lines of code every week, at the end of this year you will have a valuable asset. It gets easier to sell your idea when it is playable.

From what I can see, I would enjoy playing this. (Sorry I cannot donate because I will soon be a struggling self employed developer). Keep up the good work

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
I absolutely don't want to offend, but i'm a bit surprised nobody pointed it out that the big brown lake or something is absolutely not sexy there...

At for me it is quite uncomfortable to look at.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 12:24
Hey sam, sorry about bumping this but I remembered it a little while ago and thought I'd track down the WIP. I see your site's down as well - are you still working on this / on games in general?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:21:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:21:08