Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum going downhill

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:04 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 20:06
I have been looking through the forum lately and i noticed way to many locked thread's. I think there needs to be stricter rules. Like: ALL posts are moderated first. I think this will be better for cleanliness on the board. and also why lock threads and not delete them? It will be more effective to delete the offending thread than to simply 'lock it' Also i have noticed mods commenting on a locked thread. that cannot be done because it is essentialy breaking there own rules. Now dont get me wrong but I like the mods but i feel that standards are slipping.

No referral schemes!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:14 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 16:14
Some of this was mentioned before, and a MOD will probably chime in and give a better, more complete explanation... before locking it.
Removing a thread will many times result in the OP posting another thread to ask why their thread was removed.

As for all threads being approved, there is no paid staff here to do that. We just have poor slobs with real jobs who give some of their spare time to help keep this clean and civil.

Quote: "Also i have noticed mods commenting on a locked thread. that cannot be done..."

Sure it can.

I don't want to get into "the old days", but the forums are clean and smooth compared to what they were.

Brian.

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:16 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 20:06
I see, oh gosh! I can see they are in better conditions than they were a few years ago. Lockings galore.

No referral schemes!
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:19
Quote: "ALL posts are moderated first."

That would be too much work for the moderators then. Would you really want to read every post that is made on this forum in order to approve or deny it? I know I wouldn't.

Quote: "why lock threads and not delete them"

My guess would be because some newcomer or someone who doesn't know how the forum works would make a new thread saying, "Hey! Where did my old thread go?!". However I think deleting offending posts would be appropriate.

Quote: "Also i have noticed mods commenting on a locked thread. that cannot be done because it is essentialy breaking there own rules."

I have to agree here. It also doesn't help the fact that every time they post on a locked offensive thread the thread is bumped back up to the top of the list.

However, I don't think the standards are necessarily slipping. A lot of the locked threads I've seen are not a result of insulting one another or threats or anything of that nature, but simple things like religious debates and/or governmental issues. People certainly should stop debating such matters, but I don't think it's any reason to tighten the rules.

"So hold your head up high and know. It's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:28
Quote: "Forum going downhill"

Says you using signature space for referral money. Oh deary

Not Spanish, Not Eight, Just Ocho

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:31 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 16:31
Referal Money? I beg your pardon. I think you should do your research before jumping to conclusions. I do not get money for a signature.

[img][/img]
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:46
Hey! Ever been to other forums?

You'll notice that compared to its popularity, this forum is extremely clean and has an overall friendly, enjoyable feel to it

-Wolf

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
http://serygalacaffeine.deviantart.com/
Twitter:@Serygala
BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:56
Indeed, as Wolf says, this is a great forum. It is active, everyone is friendly and welcoming, even to newbies such as I was and am probably still.

I wouldn't want this place to be any other way.

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 17:33
Indeed.

[img][/img]
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 18:35 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 18:36
Quote: "I do not get money for a signature."

you're getting something, or at least should be, since the link is http://fxhome.com/ref/155725, not http://fxhome.com/

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:12
I am getting FXhome points. not money. In case you havnt noticed i am a tad pissed off at the moment for accusing me of using a money refer. as i said before: DO RESEARCH before coming to bloody conclusions. Also i can use it as my sig if i bloody want.

[img][/img]
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the difference? You're still using it for personal gain, aren't you?

DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:28
Quote: "Hey! Ever been to other forums?

You'll notice that compared to its popularity, this forum is extremely clean and has an overall friendly, enjoyable feel to it

-Wolf"

+1

[center]
Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:29 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 22:18
Not realy. All you earn is making your avatar bigger and other things. I dont visit the site often so could we please stick to the bloody point. MOD Edit: no swearing with stars and yeah ban me see if i bloody care, I have had enough of people \'Critising me at every oportunity. good day sir.

No referral schemes!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:36
Quote: "I think there needs to be stricter rules. Like: ALL posts are moderated first ... but i feel that standards are slipping."

Well they are now that you're throwing a tantrum. Let's just say that you're on your way to get your wish on post moderation.

Now take a deep breath, and stop shouting at your PC display.

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:38
..... tantrum over.... Sorry about that. its just they wouldnt drop the 'Sig issue' when i had asked now that this has been off topic please lock

[img][/img]
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:41
Don't you mean delete?

Kravenwolf

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 19:59
I like this forum. Although I only browse Geek Culture now.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree that mods should not be continuing discussions / commenting in locked threads. Once it's locked, it should be locked for all.

As for the "standards", there's never really standards. It's actually more based on a mods opinion of what pushes the boundaries. I notice that with any forum, though there is a set of rules to follow, most mods will let the occasional thing slip if they don't find it offensive.

I just now realized I've had a typo in my signature for the past 3 years.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 20:57
I like the flexibility. Anyway, most forums the mods decide whether to punish or not anyway.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 20:57
Most of the time the mods comment in a locked thread for our own laugh and amusement... kind of a way to cheer ourselves up. We're not doing it for any serious purposes or personal gain. Sheesh, lighten up!

Software Engineer - Metamoki
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Most of the time the mods comment in a locked thread for our own laugh"

You get a laugh out of me at times, too.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 21:12
I like the threads where everyone realises the OP is a moron...even the mods.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
You want every post to be moderated? Are you insane? Do you want to lose what freedom of speech you have here? Do you need to be spoon-fed to be protected from the horrible, horrible things that happen here? Jeeze, this forum is great and very clean!

http://lossofanonymity.wordpress.com
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 21:41 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 21:42
Let's be honest, the most hated thing on this forum is cuddly ponies. It's a great forum, trolls are practically non-existent, spam - in comparison to other, larger forums - is also very sparse and rapidly dealt with.

I'd say it's a very peaceful place to post.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Baha, this is like the pg-13 of my community sites.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 22:33
Yeh, this is the only site where swearing is banned that I frequent.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 22:35
Quote: "However I think deleting offending posts would be appropriate. "

They already edit it out, and give out punishments, by slapping them, keeping them from posting for a certain amount of time, depending on the offense. Sometimes they just edit it out and they don't slap. I got slapped for telling a racist joke in a joke thread, and they edited it out. They did that here too:

Quote: "Not realy. All you earn is making your avatar bigger and other things. I dont visit the site often so could we please stick to the bloody point. MOD Edit: no swearing with stars and yeah ban me see if i bloody care, I have had enough of people \'Critising me at every oportunity. good day sir.
"

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 22:35 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 22:36
Quote: "It's a great forum, trolls are practically non-existent, spam - in comparison to other, larger forums - is also very sparse and rapidly dealt with.

I'd say it's a very peaceful place to post.
"

^ This ^

Quote: "Baha, this is like the pg-13 of my community sites."

^ And this ^

Although I would have to add that there is one problem with these boards, and that's the amount of pirates they attract, particularly the FPSC boards.

But hey, no forums are perfect!

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 22:37
Quote: "..... tantrum over.... Sorry about that. its just they wouldnt drop the 'Sig issue' when i had asked now that this has been off topic please lock

Kravenwolf:Don't you mean delete?
"

Bwahaha

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 23:01 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 23:01
Quote: "They already edit it out, and give out punishments, by slapping them, keeping them from posting for a certain amount of time, depending on the offense. Sometimes they just edit it out and they don't slap. I got slapped for telling a racist joke in a joke thread, and they edited it out. They did that here too:"

Ahhhh true. I guess that covers my main complaint

"So hold your head up high and know. It's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 23:52
Didnt i request this locked? Another time i get un-noticed.

No referral schemes!
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 23:53
i think the rules are fine just except for users who kept getting their own threads constantly locked. some just don't mean it and some others just love trouble.

Cormorant5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 23:59
Quote: "Didnt i request this locked? Another time i get un-noticed."

I'm sorry that mods have lives and can't tend to your every command. It takes at least 24 hours for mods to get to lock requests, because they can't constantly check every thread.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 00:05
And we don't always lock on request.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 00:13
Quote: "Didnt i request this locked? Another time i get un-noticed."

Don't feel that your post has slipped under the Mod-radar. It really depends on which Mod read your post. They may not have felt it necessary to lock the thread.

I wouldn't lock this thread. This thread is pretty much free advertising for the forum. People would come here looking for reasons to not like the boards, only to find many reasons to stay.

I'm wondering how many times it'll take removing your sig before they start taking away priviledges.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 00:27
Quote: "No referral schemes!"

Nyah ha ha ha

And since when was making assumptions outlawed, How the forums have degraded

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 00:42
Quote: "ALL posts are moderated first."

yeah and it will scare away even more people (i have a friend, who denied this forum because she was noobslapped for about 3 months + due to lack of posts (when she first joinged)) ALSO it would slow the forums down a lot, and that wouldnt be too nice would it? as it it now whenever iam noob slapped it can take from a few minutes to a full hour to get a post through, depending on mods activity.. do we really want that?? it works fins as it is: something goes downhill, its locked... Whats the matter with having threads locked anyway? "it looks unproffesional"? "it looks.... booring"? i mean come on, some new people post, they dont know what theyre doing, they get noob slapped, the thread is locked with an explanation of why it is, they hopefully learn AAANd were done with it.....

and for the record, I am a man.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 02:43
Quote: "Also i have noticed mods commenting on a locked thread. that cannot be done because it is essentialy breaking there own rules"

I think that considering the mods are all volunteers, this small thing is not too much to ask... mainly because their comments are actually funny.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 03:45
Quote: "I have been looking through the forum lately and i noticed way to many locked thread's. I think there needs to be stricter rules. Like: ALL posts are moderated first. I think this will be better for cleanliness on the board. and also why lock threads and not delete them? It will be more effective to delete the offending thread than to simply 'lock it' Also i have noticed mods commenting on a locked thread. that cannot be done because it is essentialy breaking there own rules. Now dont get me wrong but I like the mods but i feel that standards are slipping."

All posts being moderated, isn't going to happen; besides all the reasons mentioned, taking WAY too much time is on the top of the heap. The reason some threads are locked and not deleted (many threads ARE deleted), is that there may be either some information in that thread that could be useful to someone...or we're leaving it up to make an example of what NOT to post. Commenting in a locked thread is breaking what rule exactly? If it is our prerogative to post in a locked thread, we shall do so. As has been mentioned before; things used to be MUCH more abrasive here (especially in the FPSC side of things).

Quote: "I agree that mods should not be continuing discussions / commenting in locked threads. Once it's locked, it should be locked for all."

As mentioned above; if we choose to post in it, we will. Normally, it's because we have something to add to the reason it was locked, etc. A lot of people take issue with Mod decisions around here; some people single certain Mods out as well....right Crispex?

-Keith

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 04:46
I don't think that mods posting in locked threads happens that often. Of course there is probably a final comment saying it's locked and why (unless it blatantly obvious)...

Also when that does occur it's generally in jest and I haven't really seen it anywhere other than in Geek Culture, which let's be honest is kind of the anything goes 'fun' part of the forums.

If the quality of threads/posts is dropping I don't see that as a fault with the mods. It's not like we are the ones creating all these threads.

Your sig has been redacted by...
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 05:32
Recently it seems as if there are some who want to see who can make the most threads or get the most posts. Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe it's just one of those cycles where a lot of new people came in at once. Maybe it's just me, but there sure seems to be a lot of nothing being posted.

I don't mind though, lately I just come here when I'm bored.

Brian.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As mentioned above; if we choose to post in it, we will. Normally, it's because we have something to add to the reason it was locked, etc. A lot of people take issue with Mod decisions around here; some people single certain Mods out as well....right Crispex?
"

Of course. Trust me, I run a popular GMod server. While my decisions are many times not liked, people continue to play anyway. That's the way it works. There has NEVER been a mod that was completely liked by EVERYONE.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 06:30
Quote: "There has NEVER been a mod that was completely liked by EVERYONE."

True statement.

-Keith

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 07:15
I like these forums, alot actually, this is the only forum i really go to alot, it's well kept, the mods are chosen wisely, and there are some really bright people around here. I don't think they should change one bit.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger that 600 x 120.
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 07:19
Quote: "There has NEVER been a mod that was completely liked by EVERYONE."

Except for Thraxas ofcourse... I mean, how could you not LOVE him when he has that great little avatar ??

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 07:50 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 07:59
I don't mind Thraxas as a poster, I just don't like him as a person. There is a lot not to like about me too. I'll be the first one to admit, I'm very opinionated, and I'm rather narcissistic in some areas. I look at it as this way: It's a public forum. Opinions are tossed around left and right. I'm a very honest person, do people get hurt due to honesty? Of course. Is it always beneficial to be brutally honest? No.

If you are offended by my posts, skip them. Don't read them. It's like when you touch a hot stove and you get burnt, if you don't want to get burnt don't do it again.

Yes, my posts have gotten me into trouble. The only real reoccurring guilt I ever felt was what I said to Xplosys, someone who has defended me and gave me advice, in which I said I didn't support the U.S. Military action. I apologized, and admitted my wrongdoing, but the relationship is forever tainted over what was said. Words change things.

There are many times where I get furious over what people post, but I attempt to use logic and reasoning to explain other sides of things. Just because I'm a non-conformist doesn't make me wrong all the time.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 08:07
Quote: ""I agree that mods should not be continuing discussions / commenting in locked threads. Once it's locked, it should be locked for all."

As mentioned above; if we choose to post in it, we will. Normally, it's because we have something to add to the reason it was locked, etc. A lot of people take issue with Mod decisions around here; some people single certain Mods out as well....right Crispex?"

while i see it might be a good idéa to post something related to the lock/thread, I cannot agree these single events where mods keep conversations about offtopics in locked threads, I cant say I agree with that

and for the record, I am a man.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 08:39
Quote: "I don't mind Thraxas as a poster, I just don't like him as a person. There is a lot not to like about me too. I'll be the first one to admit, I'm very opinionated, and I'm rather narcissistic in some areas. I look at it as this way: It's a public forum. Opinions are tossed around left and right. I'm a very honest person, do people get hurt due to honesty? Of course. Is it always beneficial to be brutally honest?"

Lord... I pray to you... Give me the strength to restrain myself from saying anything in response to this.

donatepctohayden.webs.com
Please go to my site and help me afford a new PC. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 08:49
I couldn't help myself, I dug this up. I don't see anything wrong with mods having a conversation in a locked thread, they can get quite funny.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:10:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:10:57