Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Rush to Adventure

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 13:12 Edited at: 4th Aug 2014 19:20

You arrive on an island, only to discover it is almost overrun by monsters. Assist the islanders, level up your hero, find new weapons and uncover the secrets of the island. Can you rid the island of its curse?

This alpha release contains about 20-30 minutes of content but offers a lot of replayability. Containing 10 short, action packed levels and 4 difficulties. You are also scored and ranked at the end of each level. Trying to S-rank every level is quite a challenge.Play on insane difficulty at your own risk.

Downloads for PC, Andorid and OUYA as well as more screens and movies can be found on my website.
Rush to Adventure

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 13:15 Edited at: 3rd May 2012 13:30

This is what the world map screen looks like. Here you will be able to explore the world and select the level you want to play. I am currently working on the editor for this. Just improved the world map artwork and rewrote some of the code to change how the map is stored internally as well as the feel of exploring the map.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 13:38
Looks promising, the style is well defined.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 13:47
Thanks Baxslash. I wanted something I could do myself and yet looks good. That's why I choose to make it extremely lo-res. The old school look also works well with my old school gameplay. Hopefully it stands out in the crowd as well.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 15:02
Hmm. Looks good... I guess it could bring you some green papers on the market if done right.

What platforms do you target ?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 15:32
Thanks Kamac. I am definitely hoping for some money out of this game. I think it will appeal a lot to fans of old NES games as well as RPG fans. Getting it done right is definitely the key.

I hope to get it to all AppGameKit supported platforms. If I am releasing it myself it will be Android first as it is the cheapest and easiest to release for. I also own an Android phone.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 16:51
This looks good, I can't wait to see more gameplay...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2012 11:01
Thanks Zoq2.

The world map is made up of screens, kind of like in the first Zelda. You swipe the map to move from screen to screen. New screens will be unlocked as you complete levels. I think this will give the player a greater sense of exploration compared to just have a big map that the player can scroll around. What you see in the screenshot above is the first screen of the game, where the hero arrives.

Just got creating, saving and loading of the screens to work 100%. Saving and loading stuff like this is always tricky as it's not just a simple array. Now I'm going to create icons for things on the map that the player can explore, such as levels.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2012 23:09
Many downloads from retro freaks like me
Nice with the reto art!

Upload an demo to the app store as soon as you can so will i beta test it for you!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay! Colourful old school graphics! You must leave them in as an option, even if you improve them later

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 12:45
Thanks guys

All art is final or close to final. The low resolution allows me to do all art myself. It also has its charm and really goes well with the gameplay.

I have added in what I call objects to the world map now. I will upload a screen shot when I get home. I need to install 1071 to add object data from within my editor. Then I will be able to create levels linked to the objects. Hoping to start on the level editor tomorrow.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 16:57 Edited at: 6th May 2012 16:58

And back home with internet connection for my laptop (and wifi to test on my phone). Here you see all the objects for the first screen. The signs contains info on how to play the game (lots on the first screen). ? are points of interest. In this case a fisherman that gives the player a little of the story. Swords are levels you can play. And finally the cave is another level, but you need a torch to play it.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2012 11:14 Edited at: 25th May 2012 11:15

Had a two week break from coding, too much other stuff to take care of. Also been playing more than a little Awesomenauts on my 360. 107 is out and I am disappointed that the text input is still so messed up. I need that for adding data to my objects. But I will make something temporary as I want to start on progression. That is I want to make the world map "playable". Read signs, talk to people, complete levels and unlock stuff. The data input editor is almost complete.

I have also added in a screen transition effect, like in Zelda 1. White arrows will show the directions you can move in. You can change screens by either tapping the arrows or swiping the screen. Certain levels etc will unlock new screens. Made some test screens for this. I have decided to complete the world map before getting into gameplay.

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 11:29
Looking nice, DigAw. I'll take it for a test run when I get back to my PC.

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 15:32
Thanks Greenlig But there is nothing to download, nor do I have anything playable.

Previously I have always started with gameplay and added stuff on top of that. Which usually ends up being a mess of code. This project I'm doing the opposite, coding from the outside in. Starting with the main screen, menus etc. Now I am almost done with the world map editor. This is my most well structured project ever. I have coded some very basic gameplay just to try my control idea, which works really well.

I don't know how far off a demo is, but keep your eyes on this thread for updates.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 15:44
Ha, I thought the download link was for a demo. Well, I look forward to seeing it when ready! Do you still have copies of your older games?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 16:54 Edited at: 27th May 2012 16:56
I haven't finished most of my projects. Tend to make too big projects or simply loose interest. I did a game called The Magic Land in DBP, maybe you can find a demo of that online. I don't know where I might have it. It was part of a competition and was released on CD together with other entries.

Part of why I am doing this game now is because it is something I can pull off with my coding and artistic skills.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 12:17 Edited at: 29th May 2012 12:20

Here are some more images. Thought someone might be interested in this stuff. The world map editor and the object editor are all done (except creating new levels). Next up is adding progression to the world map. Reading signs, talking to people, unlocking new parts of the map etc.

To the top left is my menu system. It's quite flexible, this is just an example. If you hold the finger on an item it lits up. Not until you release the finger will it activate. It is the same with all the buttons you see below the world map.

To the bottom left is the object editor. It is now fully working and I can edit all the values for the objects. Sadly this doesn't work in the Android player as it uses an edit box for input.

To the right are 2 shots from the map editor. I have made the editor a part of the game code. It will be removed when the game is released. This have a few very good advantages. First off I can jump between editing and testing instantly. When I edit I will see exactly what the player sees. And finally, when the programming is done I can fully edit the whole game on my phone without having to sit in front of my computer.

Attachments

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 13:06
Liiiike it. Having the editor that handy definitely has its advantages. I've thought about making an editor for my game, but haven't got round to it yet. How do you handle the file saving on Android?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2012 13:28
Thanks

Just use opentowrite(), works fine with the player. You can then access the file with a file manager, inside the AppGameKit folder. Don't know how it works with an APK file, but probably same or similar.

An editor is a must for most games. I have coded a few editors before so now I rather start with one. I create content with the editor and then I can code the game using that content. Usually the game and the editor shares a lot of code, making them separate takes a lot of extra time. I just have the editor code in a separate file so I can easily remove it later.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 21:43 Edited at: 5th Jun 2012 21:46

Was planning to code a lot today but been feeling ill since yesterday. Discovered a bug in my save file code last week. Had to delete my old map files and start over. Debugging save files tend to be rather boring.

Right now I am working on implementing text displays to the world map. As seen in the above image. The text is read from my object file (made with my object editor) but otherwise this is a test so far. Going to fully implement object exploration next as well as unlocking new objects on the map. These are the first two objects the player explores, some instructions and some backstory.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 18:29 Edited at: 7th Jun 2012 18:30

These shots shows progression in action. I found the StringToken commands. Made parsing my unlock strings very easy for me to code.

When you start the game you get the instruction to explore the sign. Tapping the sign pops up the sign overlay you see in the above shot. But with a nice black fade behind it, indicating that nothing else will respond. So now you have basic knowledge of how the world map works. I'm going for a learn as you play style, no need for any tutorial or help screens.

Tapping the screen brings you back to the world map. The instruction to explore the sign is gone, the sign has turned gray and a blue ?-mark has been unlocked. Tapping on the sign again brings up the same sign overlay. Tapping the ?-mark brings up the dialog overlay you see above. Now you also get all the backstory you need to start playing. Story will also be given to the player in bite size chunks. I have a story to tell but I believe in letting the player get into the game fast and tell the story over time. I consider giving the player huge chunks of text or long intro sequences to be bad design.

Returning to the map again the question mark is now gray and you see 2 swords (levels) as well as a new sign with play tips. Tapping a sword will launch a level but so far it only turns gray and unlocks new stuff. Here we can see that the top sword unlocks yet another sign but also a new screen to the top. The white arrow in the last shot indicates that the player can now move in that direction. The sign of course contains this information.

I have done a bunch of little tweaks and there are a few more of those to do. Then I will finally start on my level editor. So next time I post any shots will be from actual gameplay. All this work will sure pay off. I have concepts for two sequels, reusing most of the code I am writing now. I am closing in on 2500 lines of code.

Any comments on my world map system is welcome. Do you think it will add to the game compared to a level selection screen or just one big world map as is common in most games?

Attachments

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 18:13
Quote: "I consider giving the player huge chunks of text or long intro sequences to be bad design."

I completely agree as huge chunks of info can turn you down.
Better with little by little as the story progress.

Quote: "Any comments on my world map system is welcome. Do you think it will add to the game compared to a level selection screen or just one big world map as is common in most games?"

Have a big world with quests that get unlocked when the player completes smaller quests.
You could lock some quests by how high experience the player have gained.
Should give players a goal by completing the smaller quests to be able to enter larger ones.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 20:42
There will be some parts of the game that unlocks when the player increase his stats. Some parts of the game will require specific items. But generally the player will unlock new content by completing levels.

I don't know how much of the game can be skipped to complete. You don't have to find all items to complete the game but it helps. As do collecting experience and gold. The more levels you complete the easier the game will be.

Defeating all monsters and collecting all gold in each level is also a good idea. You cannot grind the same level over and over for more exp and gold. But you can replay a level to try to collect everything.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 13:18 Edited at: 1st Jul 2012 13:18

The project is far from dead. I just don't have as much time to code these days. Today I am focusing on coding. The level editor is taking a bit of extra time. I have tried a few different styles and I am also thinking about ways to speed up the creation process. I have now soled these problems and made the artwork. Just need to code in everything.

The above shot is a test to see what the final result will look like. It's a cut and paste job using a shot from my gameplay and one of my level editor. And it's an old school platform game! Some of you might have guessed it since the worldmap is inspired by Zelda 2 for NES. I love a good platform game and I don't know why it has taken me this long to code my first. This is not the final look, but close to it.

What separates this game from other mobile platformers is mainly the controls. I do have a distinct look in this game but the 4 big game buttons is what really does it for me. Anyone who have played with virtual controls on a phone knows what I'm talking about here. These buttons doesn't cover up the "screen", no fingers in the way of the action. The buttons are large and easy to hit. You also see them lit up when you touch them, even without looking at them directly. There's no up or down and you don't need to remember where the center of the joystick is. And put this in the hands of anyone and they will instantly get the controls.

Attachments

Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 15:30
This really looks promising i hope you continue and would love to test the beta version. Keep up the good work. And the simple but great graphics.

(Mod Note: Please don't link to suspected maleware sites, thank you!)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 17:36
Thanks Redostrike I'm glad you like my graphics.

Finally got the level paint tool to where I want it. A minor bug or two left but I think I can work with those. Not releasing the editor means it doesn't have to be perfect. Next up is placing the player's starting location, switching between editor/player and collision. I'm doing my own collision code. There's quite a bit of work to do before I can link the levels to the worldmap and make it all playable. Then there's some minor worldmap bugs to deal with.

Should I add enemies, coins etc. to the levels before releasing a little test demo?

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 04:31
@ digital awakening

how is your project coming along. graphics is cool looking.. is this game for phone only or can you play on andriod tablet

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2012 09:13
Thanks leo877

I've been studying up on AGKs built in physics and collision commands. Seems to be really powerful and easy to use once you figure everything out. I can recommend getting the Hands on AppGameKit BASIC book and the http://www.appgamekit.com/bitesize.php tutorials.

The game is progressing every week. However, quite slowly. Working full time lately and I've been ill as well. I'm trying to get in at least a few hours every weekend and a little here and there. Did an animated avatar yesterday showing the walk animation. Not sure if it will look like that when I'm done. But I have to at least modify the colors.

I want to support as many platforms as possible. The controls are obviously optimal on a phone. Getting keyboard controls to work wouldn't be hard. Coming very soon as I need those for testing anyway. For tablets I need to make the buttons smaller. I have not tried this yet so I don't know how well it will work. I don't have a tablet myself, yet. Might get a Nexus 7 or Transformer Infinity.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 20:15
What a cool project, I'm really wanting to play your game!

Keep up the good work!

I used to hate the thought of governments having orbital mind control satellites,
but now I can't really seem to care.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 11:10
Thanks Rich Me too.

I have 2 weeks off from work now so I hope to get more coding done.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 21:26
Well, I got saving and loading, keyboard controls and physics based controls and jumping done. But the built in physics doesn't seem to work well with these kinds of games. I am considering going back to writing my own physics but use the built in collision. That is definitely doable but requires a little bit of extra work. I have to cycle through contacts later anyway. The advantage is full control over movement and collisions. And I want the controls to be perfect.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 19:13
Took a break from the gameplay today and got back to the world map. I have fixed all bugs I had on my todo list and some new ones I found along the way. I have also added some nice transition fades. Read up on particles today. Planning to use them to highlight unlocked stuff on the map. But that's for tomorrow. Seems like I have found a solution for my collision problems using dummy sprites. Not too excited about touching my gameplay code right now though.

Finally some real progress on the game!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2012 22:03
Another day of minor fixes and updates. My todo list hasn't been this tidy in weeks. Among the changes is a basic "compression" on the save files that shrunk them down by over 99%. No particles yet, they seem quite low priority right now. Back to some collision testing tomorrow. Hoping I finally have a working solution.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 04:21
Do you have any youtube videos of your progress?

Android 2.3 Gingerbread , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 4.3 inches , 800 mhz cpu , 512 mb ram
Android 4.0 Sandwich , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , cortex A8 1.2 cpu , 1 gb ram.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 11:20
Nope. Not much to see though. The worldmap is basically what you see in the screenshots above. And since I have had nothing but problems with the collisions there is nothing new to see from the gameplay either. Once I'm done with the collisions, a demo is not far away.

BTW, I just noticed. I have exceeded 3000 lines of code! Compiling is getting slower and slower. Maybe 4000 lines will be enough to complete the game.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 16:18
Finally it is starting to come together. It is very satisfying to move and jump around. Still not perfect but slowly getting there.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 19:11
I think I have finally nailed the level collision. Gameplay feels amazing right now! A demo is not far away.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 13:32
When the level starts scrolling it's like magic

Counting down to the first demo. I have removed the top, left and right parts of the frame to maximize the viewable area. Levels have been fully integrated into the rest of the code now. Except they can't be completed yet. About to add in coins to the levels now, that should make the demo a little more interesting. Only 9 things remains on my todo list before the demo. Then make some levels and prepare the release.

Look for a new screen shot by the end of the week. Maybe a demo on Sunday if everything goes smoothly.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 18:32
wow this sound cool, a new screen shot and a demo..looking forward to the them.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 00:49 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 00:51

Thanks leo877

Things are going very smoothly right now. Except that a new bug just popped up. And I don't know what's causing it. Other than that I am ahead of schedule. Here's a new screen shot, earlier than I hoped for. It is from the beginning of my test map. The camera starts following the hero once you get to the center of the screen, or high up. It stops following when you get to the end, so you can run to the edge of the screen to complete it. You can now pick up the gold coins. And here you also see the jump in action.

So, looking at a PC demo release on Sunday unless the bugs says otherwise. Next week I will try to figure out what is causing the Android player to crash. Hopefully I can set up and compile an APK next week. Would love to show the game to my friends.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 19:12 Edited at: 8th Sep 2012 23:23
Here comes the demo.
I had extra time to add in the particles and fix little things here and there.

This is a first look at a fully playable version of the game. Not much is in here but I hope you will enjoy it. There shouldn't be any bugs. If you find any, please let me know. The mouse cursor should be hidden when you are playing a level, sometimes AppGameKit leaves it visible though. Since this is on PC you should get a solid 60 FPS. If you don't, let me know. All feedback is welcome.

Keys:
Arrows to move and jump
Esc to open up the menu

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 21:23 Edited at: 30th Jul 2012 02:30
@ digital

i dl the demo and tried. very cool concept,game graphics..( aahh nintendo days). i like the guys animation, i enjoy the jump animation.

what button do use to attack with on the key board.

edit 2: to the respond of ditigal
i made to part were you swipe the arrow part but everytime i tried to swipe the arrow, the sword got in the way.

also have tried making apk file to tried on your android devices yet to see how it runs.

i keep trying the demo and let you know.

nice game so far that i got on it.

i also get 60fps.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 21:30
Nice game. I realy like your art style.

Quote: "what button do use to attack with on the key board"

I couldn't find the button either. Also as leo said, is there an android version?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 21:59 Edited at: 29th Jul 2012 22:00
Thanks for trying the demo, and your comments

You can't attack in this early demo. And there is nothing to attack in the game yet. I got a list of bugs related to the editor to sort out next. Then I can get started on other parts of the game. Not sure if it's AI (and attacks), the inventory screen or completing the art and code for the world map.

I have tried this in the Android player beta and there are no less than 4 bugs in it. One of them is related to collisions, the hero just goes straight through. I guess no contacts are registered. So I can't even test the controls on my phone, except walking at the bottom of the screen (that's old code, before I had levels).

Quote: "i made to the sipe part but everytime i tried the sowrd got in the way. "

I don't understand what you mean, sorry.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 02:38 Edited at: 30th Jul 2012 02:44
@ digital

i made to part were you swipe the arrow part but everytime i tried to swipe the arrow, the sword got in the way.

hers pic of what i talking about. i think the border is to big,gets in the way for swiping. reload the sword stage.

Attachments

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 07:55 Edited at: 30th Jul 2012 07:58
Ah. You swipe the screen (or the map to be exact) not the arrow. Make a quick swipe with your mouse (this is meant to be touch controlled) anywhere on the map. It doesn't have to be very long but quickly enough. But you can do it where there are no icons.

Noticed it's a bit hard to do on a trackpad. Have tested it a lot with a regular mouse and on my phone before. Maybe I should take a look at the code for this. I used to allow for clicking the arrows but on a phone those are too small so I went with swiping only. It also gets quite cramped with the bottom arrow almost touching the map button.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 11:14
nope still gettin the same result. i tried swiping on other part of the map. still not going to the other level.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 11:26
I had no problems swiping to continue...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 11:45
With one quick motion with the mouse:
1: Click and hold down the left mouse button above the map.
2. Pull the mouse back, like you are dragging the map down.
3. Release the mouse button.

I have downloaded the demo and tested it on my netbook so I am sure that it works. But you have to be very quick. Again, tricky on a touchpad. But let me upload a new version that works better.

Done!

But I noticed a bug. You can swipe to the next area without unlocking it... My guess something happened when I made the arrows unclickable. Well, at least you don't have to play through to unlock the next screen to try it out. This new version allows 150% longer time to swipe. And I have double checked: It doesn't matter if you swipe above objects.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:23:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:23:27