Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Prisoner Of War

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 21:33 Edited at: 25th Jul 2013 21:25

Developer:Tomahawk

Story line:
"General! squad 65 was just attacked, three out of five solderers got out, the other was shot, and killed and squad leader SGT. Rayon was captured"
"No one gets out of there alive, But we cant demoralize the troops on the next run. This is now strictly confidential, and classify him as KIA"
"There must be a chance for him to get out, isn't there?"
"No, the leader of the closest camp is a tyrant, and there isn't much chance of getting a rescue mission to him because the facility is underground and near a city. They have spies everywhere they would kill him if they saw us coming"

Description:
You play as Sgt Ryan, That was captured while on patrol and taken to the closest military base. Your superiors classify you as killed in action because they don't want the troops patrolling to think of the possibility of being captured, and brought to the nearest military base were the leader is a tyrant. No man has ever escaped from the base but Sgt Ryan isn't giving up easy.

Alpha version of the first level out now
Newest version of alpha:1.6
Version of alpha 1.5 [zip]
Alpha version 1.4 [installer]
Survey

More Pictures soon!
Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Follow Tomahawk Games on Google plus!

Credits
Butter fingers
cosmic prophet
Bibo4pc
angusm3
Logrulz123
angusm3
unbound
Corno_1
kingofmk98
Mason Pimental of Grand Pine Productions
COZMediaUK

Thank you one and all for your help! If i have missed someone please accept my apologies, also if you see your media, or scripts, please inform me and i will put your name in the credits!

midget overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 23:23
I have to admit, I didn't expect much from the title graphic, but the screenshots more than make up for it. Can't wait to see what more you come up with.

odog elens a, odog gonds a, min faen brethil.
You're my best friend if you can interpret this.
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 23:25
That lava screen shot is very good. The level geometry looks completely out of FPSC, keep it up.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 04:02 Edited at: 25th Jul 2013 21:28
Thank you. The title graphic is mostly a concept and not a final design. I also really like the lava screen too.

midget overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 05:02
The general idea is very good for the graphic, it just looks like it was made in paint or some such program.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 05:08
Ok so I think i will do a redo, and it was made in such a program. It was made in gimp, its a pretty powerful program but I'm pretty new to it. I have already been thinking up was to improve it!
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 02:50 Edited at: 12th Mar 2013 02:54
Video showcasing the first part of the first level. I got killed . Video attached.
Sorry for the double post

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 17:10
Update: Alpha version of first level available in first post. The alpha contains no cutscenes and need a lot of tweaking
midget overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2013 05:14
I like the new title graphic a lot! It looks much cleaner and professional.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 00:33
I don't like the new title graphic as much.

It's a poorly edited version of the original one. If you want help with that, let me know and i will see what i can knock up for you.

In regards to the screen shots.....well, that a refreshing surprise. Looking very good there. Nice placement of entities, good open spaces that don't feel too open and good lighting.

There is obviously more work needed on it, but, this is a great start.

Let me know about that title......it hurts my eyes.

Unfamillia

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 02:29 Edited at: 27th Mar 2013 21:43
@midget overlord:Thank you

@unfamillia: Thanks for the offer, I would love to see what you can come up with. Yes There are a lot of things in my game that has to be addressed. mostly because of poor management i would start on the first level, then before it was finished start the second one, then go back to the first one then after i worked on that a little bit i would go to the third one.

@all:I would really appreciate a review on the alpha version. this is my first game and i want to see if i'm on a good path for gameplay. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_3uHogtfZD8VldDRFVKelU2VDQ/edit
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 22:23 Edited at: 24th Mar 2013 22:23
@Tomahawk

I have done something very basic for you. I didn't want to spend too much time on it, but, i did say i would put something together.

I hope this helps in some way.

Unfamillia

Attachments

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 03:43
Thank you unfamillia,
I think i will work off of it and perfect it. If you didn't mind spending some more time on it because i really like how you started it and i feel like it could become really great! Thanks again unfamillia

@All:Again i'm not trying to get annoying with it, but i would really appreciate a review of my game so i could see where to go with my game.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 13:37
I forgot to set the permissions for my file to everyone. If you have tried to download it and failed, then please try again it should work this time.
midget overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 18:04
downloading... will play and post a review

midget overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 18:08
hmmm... though it downloaded just fine, it doesn't seem to want to open. I've tried a couple times but nothing happens when I open it.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 18:27
What exactly do you mean, has it installed? or do you mean opining the installer?
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 21:16 Edited at: 27th Mar 2013 21:46
@midget overlord:Just tested out and it worked fine i will try to attach an RAR file for you. If someone can conform the download for me that would be great.

@All: Update out and just a note for the controls

(F) use
(E) power knife strike
(L alt) melee

Another note is that to pick the lock you have to hold down (F) not (E)

Here is the RAR file
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2013 21:28
Any more responses? Sorry if i'm sounding impatient but i'm hitting a lot of difficulties while making this game, and i want to know if it is any good so far. This is my first game so i'm not expecting a master piece, but before i start banging my head against my keyboard trying to figure all of this stuff out, just to make a little progress and repeating it over and over again i want to know if the community thinks it has any potential.

I also have been overwhelmed with a lot of stuff over the past few week,s but i'm trying to get back into my game and putting out some more updates. also i haven't been able to make sure all the downloads are working. I know everyone else has just as busy lives if not busier but i would really appreciate someone taking a little time out to try the game the first level is really short just like 2 minute if you know exactly what to do maybe 5 if not.
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 00:15
I will download and try it out, but the internet is going really slow . . . anyways, don't feel pressured to have updates all the time. I can easily go a week with no FPSC, no updates and everythings fine. My first game (sort of) is still being worked on and lately there haven't been a lot of posts except for me (and metal devil). But that's not a problem of course.

If not a lot of people are responding, don't worry, it happens. It doesn't mean people aren't watching or reading this.

I would comment on your game, if that download would hurry up . . .

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 03:19
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 09:23
Well, I downloaded and tried out the first level. A lot of problems, no bugs, but there is a lot to do. So I can give constructive criticism easy and in one go, I took screenshots of all the problems I had with that level. I have made a super image and attached it to the post, you may need to zoom to see some bits. Each image is labelled with a number, and in this post I'll talk about each image.

Image 1: The absolute first thing that hit me was the crazy arrangement of huds, and the big white square on the top right of my screen. What is going on? Why is my health at the dead centre of the screen? Why can't I fully see the mp-40 hud image? Why is there a big white square with a small picture of a person in it? All of these things don't make a lot of sense. I'd strongly recommend sorting them out, they're all over the place.

Image 2: Why is it there's a door that opens to the middle of nothing? I walked up to this door and it automatically opened. It makes no sense whatsoever. Perhaps the door should be made static, because I certainly hope this wasn't intentional.

Image 3: Exact same issue as before. Perhaps you should test your own levels more thoroughly, as you'd certainly come across this issue. Also test your levels thoroughly (if not more) after building the game, as its the result the player will see.

Image 4: What's wrong with this picture? A modern day soldier is swinging her knife at me, but in a WW2 prison. What?? Looking back at your description now I see nothing that states WW2, so you're let off there, but this does feel incredibly out of place.

Image 5: Not to big of an issue, but several things need fixing. A), The guard turned around and did nothing to me when I encountered him.
B), The text stayed around and I don't know why. If the guard was already dead, it shouldn't be advising me on how to kill him.
C), does killing him stealthily give any reward? There's nothing in the ahead area (I think), so why should I bother with stealth?
If you were just trying to give the player a bit of a tutorial or demonstration of controls then maybe add hint:, optional: or tutorial:, or something to the beginning to make this clear.
Just some things to clean up

Image 6: Seriously, what's this? Is there a reason the door is like that? I certainly can't think of anything.

Image 7: Small issue but worth noting, the lights aren't actually attached to the walls. Easy fix.

Image 8: Empty rooms are bad for a game, fill in area's with detail. Anything will do, like you did with previous rooms. It almost feels lazy that nothing was put there. Needs to be changed, its a sore spot for the game.

Image 9: Exact same deal as Image 8, except there is an entity in this one. Also, I might ask, why is there a table with war planning material tucked away in the corner of a room and absolutely nothing else? Have you considered filling in the room? It feels hard to justify not adding anything.

Other things that need consideration are:

-Get rid of those stock menu's, loading screens, sound effects. They give a bad impression on your game, it tells me that you haven't even gone to an effort to change them out. While I understand you may not have made custom menu's or anything yet, but anything even down to a one minute job in paint would do. If its W.I.P., then nothing fancy is needed, but it just needs to be something other than that stock menu setup.

-Why can't I pick up enemy weapons? It feels entirely illogical that I can't simply take the weapons from the people I kill. If it becomes to unbalanced, maybe try to ration out ammo throughout the level.

I could go on, but I won't for the moment. Like I said at the top, no bugs encountered, which is good, but some pretty bad flaws in the game. I know this is only alpha, and I know it doesn't represent the final product, which is why I'm recommending the changes now, not later. Some of those changes are desperate, if I'm to be honest. Some fixes are little but will raise the standard of your game dramatically. I hope I haven't been to harsh with my criticism, but what I say is realistic.

Try to remember this when making your game:

Does it break the immersion?
Is that even plausible?
Is there a logical reason for this?
What kind of detail would this room have?
Do I have enough detail?

Little things that should definitely clean up your game.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. I liked the lightmapping, it was a good quality and the shadows were well cast.

Attachments

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 16:39
Thanks for the review burger, most of those errors were just for testing purposes and i forgot to take them out . and i will be fixing them as soon as possible. Thanks for pointing them out in this build because i thought i had already fixed it.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 06:40
No worries, just in future check yourself what you're uploading. Because I would have had a much better experience if some of those easy fix issues were there (huds, doors to skybox, floating lights, weird doors, little script issues). So yeah, those fixed alone will really raise the standard of your game.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2013 04:35 Edited at: 9th Apr 2013 04:35
Update:Main menu concept

Would like to hear thought on the main menu concept

Update: new version coming soon

danieleman
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool,keep up a good work bro!

MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD LIKE YOURS.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 20:28
Update:New version out, Should Address all of the issues stated.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 20:37
Sorry for the inconvenience, i just realized that u again forgot to allow the download of the file. I set it to the wrong file.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2013 01:36 Edited at: 24th Apr 2013 15:04
Update:Survey out for alpha. Download for newest alpha here: Newest version of Alpha. Have fun playing Since i have the survey up, doesn't mean you shouldn't still post here, you can still post a review here if you want to.

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2013 12:02
As much as I want to play and test it out, I can't. It somehow keeps giving me a APPCRASH. Its the same crash error I get when trying to play Alpha Project (a BoTB game that never gave issues to other people) So It might be me... Any help on this one so I can review the game for you?

www.Tangodown.nl
Dutch tactical gaming community.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2013 14:21
As of right now I don't know what the problem is, the only problems I know of is if you don't run the game as administrator, the level is really big. It would be nice if someone could download the game and see if the same error is coming up for them too. Thanks for trying pekelaarSFX

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2013 02:34
I have tried my game out on a different computer, and it doesn't even launch. It goes up for a second then says the program is not responding and closes. Can somebody please conform this?

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 17:58
Can someone please conform this issue, because i am not having this on my computer and it is happening on another computer.

Also i would really appreciate a review.

Thanks for any help

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 22:10
Hey!

I'm downloading it now and I'll give you a lil' review

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 22:29
Great!

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 03:31
POLL:Do you think i should stick with modern or go with a bit more of a futuristic approach? I would really appreciate some feedback, I have been busy for the past week but am about to resume work on P.O.W. Hopefully i Will have a new level for alpha in May!

bojandurmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2013 14:48
Game looks cool . Keep it up

About the poll , keep Modern Day time
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2013 20:33
@bojandurmic:Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 16:14
Thank you to however completed my survey, I will try to work on the parts listed and upload another version!

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 22:36 Edited at: 11th May 2013 22:37
Update incoming!
Main fix: Updated gun sounds suggested from the survey. Whoever took the survey, thanks again, and another update in the near future will address the rest of the problems as well.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2013 15:46
As promised here is the new update. Download here!! Also first post Updated with the newest version, if you prefer to download it up there ^^. Have fun, hopefully the gun sounds will improve the gameplay a little bit, i am really pleased with how they came out, especially the M4A1

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 05:26 Edited at: 14th May 2013 16:02
Here comes another update! worked one the sounds a very little bit, and worked on lighting as well. I know some people were having problems with the Installer so i decided this time it would be a simple RAR file. Plus the installer took a good amount of time to compile and i decided it wasn't needed.

Have fun with the new update!

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 16:07 Edited at: 15th May 2013 22:41
I decided to drop the survey idea, since it was getting annoying at times. Instead i would prefer a quick review on the thread. You can still take the survey, but i would also like you to say you toke it so i can ask you some questions.

On another note, the people that toke my review, thanks a lot, you both mentioned the lighting in the game, if someone would kindly point out the parts of the game that there was bad lighting, i would be most grateful, as i have played my first level so many times i sometimes overlook parts of the game that wouldn't be overlooked by someone else.

If you have any errors or problems with the RAR, wand would prefer a installer, please say so and i will get a installer up and runing.

Muzzles56
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2013 23:19
Screenshots show a nice variety of levels. Looking forward to this!

Specs: AMD FX-8120 8-Core Processor (3.1GHz) / Radeon 7770 / 16GB RAM / Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2013 23:30
@Muzzles56:Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate the support.

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2013 03:48
Thank you to however just gave me another review on the survey! I am grateful of all the support i have gotten. Thanks to everyone that pointed out all the little problems i just didn't notice because i have played it so many times.

@All:I would like to ask three questions though. What parts of the game did you find the lighting inadequate to the rest of the lighting? Also what could make the gameplay better? would it be better at a faster pace? would it be better if there was more tactics involved? Lastly how many weapons did you find in the level? there was a M9A1 and a M4A1, i found that some people missed the M4A1. Did anybody else make the same mistake?

Thanks again!

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 16:56
Announcement:I have started making a dedicated website for Prisoner Of War! This should be released sometime in June.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
I download it right now and I will give a review!
Thanks for your credit(Makes me a smile in my face )

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my review:
I didnĀ“t know why, but I have extrem long loading time.
Then the crosshair of the gun is very bad. Remove it or use one of them:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=195462&b=24

The lightning is very good.
The guys in prison do not react on you! Add some scripts maybe!
Higher the lightmapquality! Then it would look a lot better, I think.

I know this is very unstructured, but this is what I think so far.

I will replay it again to see what you also can do better

Corno_1

Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 15:17
@Corno_1:For the crosshair, which gun was it bad for? Becasue for the pistol i have the crosshair from the pack.

Also thanks for showing me that thread again because i forgot that credit in my game! I'm not sure if it your crosshair or kingofmk98's so i will just put both.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:39:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:39:48