Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DBP Audio Plugin (beta test)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 02:15 Edited at: 16th Sep 2005 07:58
Using Audiere I started to create an audio plugin for DarkBASIC Professional that plays Ogg Vorbis, MP3, FLAC, uncompressed WAV, AIFF, MOD, S3M, XM, and IT files.

There are still a few commands that I need to add but the majority of them are in place and ready for testing. Here is the current command list:

-Command list updated on September 8th-
LOAD AUDIO audio index number, filename
DELETE AUDIO audio index number
PLAY AUDIO audio index number
STOP AUDIO audio index number
LOOP AUDIO audio index number
AUDIO VOLUME audio index number, volume (float)
*NOTE: volume 0.0 = silence, 1.0 = maximum volume (default)
AUDIO PAN audio index number, pan (float)
*NOTE: pan -1.0 = left, 0.0 = center (default), 1.0 = right
AUDIO PITCH SHIFT audio index number, pitch shift (float)
*NOTE: pitch shift range 0.5 to 2.0
GET AUDIO VOLUME audio index number (returns float)
GET AUDIO PAN audio index number (returns float)
GET AUDIO PITCH SHIFT audio index number (returns float)
AUDIO PLAYING audio index number (returns true or false)
AUDIO SEEKABLE audio index number (returns true or false)
AUDIO LENGTH audio index number (returns number of frames in the streaming sound or returns 0 for not seekable)
AUDIO POSITION audio index number (returns current position in frames)
AUDIO SET POSITION audio index number, position
AUDIO USE DEVICE device (1 = winmm, 2 = DirectSound)
SET AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE trigger index, audio index, trigger x, trigger y, trigger z, height, width, depth, trigger type
*NOTE: Trigger Types,
1 = Play sound when trigger entered, stops when trigger exited.
2 = Play sound when trigger entered, keeps playing till done even if the trigger area is exited.
3 = Plays sound only once.
4 = Loops sound when trigger entered, stops sound when trigger exited.
CHECK AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE trigger index, current x position, current y position, current z position
AUDIO WHITE NOISE audio index number
AUDIO PINK NOISE audio index number
AUDIO RESET PLAYED trigger index number

There are 2 files included in the zip file, here's instructions for each file:

audiodll.ini - Add this file to your keywords folder.
audiodll.dll - Add this file to your plugins-user folder.

Thanks for helping me test this plugin!

-Updated on September 16th-
Click here to download the plugin.

EXTRA NOTE: When using this plugin remember to use DELETE AUDIO for each index that you create. The audiere uses a strange method of keeping track of the audio and could cause your program to stay in memory if the indexes are not removed. Also there is a index limit (but error handling to check for the limit has not been set yet), the current limit of indexes is 1000. `

The best audio plugin for DarkBASIC Pro!
Plays Ogg Vorbis,MP3,FLAC,uncompressed WAV,AIFF,MOD,S3M,XM,and IT files.
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
GREAT!!
Just PERFECT dll man..

The worst foe lies within the self..
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 06:16
Louiz ofRohr,

Sweet! Hopefully it goes just as well for others. Tonight I'm at work (on my day off) and I'll be adding more commands here shortly.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 08:30
Four new commands added, and the updated zip file has been uploaded. Check the link at the top of this thread.

AUDIO SEEKABLE audio index number (returns true or false)
AUDIO LENGTH audio index number (returns number of frames in the streaming sound or returns 0 for not seekable)
AUDIO POSITION audio index number (returns current position in frames)
AUDIO SET POSITION audio index number, position
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 14:41
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 15:15
Updated zip file. Added some more error checking routines incase someone puts an out of range index number, and also updated the text strings that were incorrect. This beta is pretty well complete now, and I'd really like people to test it out. Let me know if you find any bugs?
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 01:10
Bump, nobody cares for a useful audio plugin?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 12:46
It looks interesting, lack of WMA support though means I'm not to interested. Though given how many people wanted OGG support, kinda shocking no one seems to be commenting.

Something I would love to see would be 3D/Surround Sound plug-in.
DB/P right now doesn't use DirectSound, it uses WindowsAPI Sound; so it's not as versitile as it really should be imo
Not to mention it can't use Hardware Acceleration, which is a big let down.

If there was a chance you could work on a DirectSound plug-in for DB/P then I'd certainly be VERY interested in that.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 16:42
Because this plugin uses Audiere it supports DirectSound and WinMM. I'll use this fact to take advantage of that and work on the commands needed.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2005 20:13
ZIP file was updated.

Here is the new command to use the DirectSound device:

AUDIO USE DEVICE device (1 = winmm, 2 = DirectSound)

NOTE: You do not need to use this command before playing audio even though it would be a good idea. If you do not set any device the plugin will autodetect the default audio device.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 02:04
That's cool, I'll download it and try it out.
If you could see about the WMA and 3DSound that would be awesome.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 10:25 Edited at: 30th Aug 2005 13:02
Updated the plugin again. Added a few more error checks and updated some string messages.

If you ever receive an error while using the plugin caused by the user, computer, or myself the plugin will tell you exactly which command the error occured with.

Every command was tested on 3 pc's so far and has worked perfectly. There was tests done with the error handling procedures as well, and all come up good here.

[edit]
Tonight while at work I started to program trigger zones. These work in a similar fashion that the zones in FPSC work. For the start of the zones programming I'll be using a primitive trigger, then once that is developed I plan use the audio volume + pan volume to create a environmental audio feeling.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 14:48
really great plugin i will be using it in my game for sure

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 15:33 Edited at: 31st Aug 2005 09:14
Lukas W,

Thanks for the comment, I'll be watching out for one of your games using my plugin.

I have finished a primitive trigger zone, and created a simple app to test it out. The purpose of the test was to see what the impact of FPS would be if I went in and out of a audio trigger zone.

In several tests using trigger zones, and testing without, the return FPS was always consistant and not impacted at all. I believe this is because the trigger zone code (in the plugin) is kept simple, and the audio is streamed instead of being loaded into memory.

Generic picture can be found here.

The tiny cube was in place to help me locate the approximate area of where I set the trigger zone location.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 09:21 Edited at: 1st Sep 2005 08:43
Two more commands added, and one of the two is still in experimental testing stages.

SET AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE audio index number, trigger x, trigger y, trigger z, height, width, depth, trigger type
CHECK AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE audio index number, current x position, current y position, current z position (PRIMITIVE & EXPERIMENTAL)

When I say primitive for the trigger zone function above I mean that the function as of right now only checks the coordinates and if the camera or player position is within the trigger zone ranges then the sound plays, and when not in range it pauses.

Newer updates will occur with that function soon. Feel free to try out the current updates, the zip file was updated.

Here is a link to a DBP test application using the trigger zone primitive. The transparent green area is the signifies the trigger zone.

Click here to download the trigger zone test.

NOTE: Remember to press escape in this example to exit so it will delete the audio properly. If you try closing the program by using the close X box, the program can hang because the audio pointer was never deleted.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 15:43
Quote: "I'll be watching out for one of your games using my plugin."

i use it in this game: zombie hunter.

right now i only use the plugin to load the .ogg music, but these trigger zones do look interesting

i just tried the demo, you should make it so if you have entered the zone the sound will not play again.

like if i want to make a tutorial level (which im not going to for my game) and i want a voice to describe how to open a door.
when the door is opened and i move on, then go back through the door, it would be weird if the voice started talking again just a tip, but you do it however you want

good job by the way

It Wasnt Me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 17:52
I might use this. It looks VERY useful!

If it was me, I wouldn't know it.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 17:56
Just glancing at this - looks good I have worked with auidiere alot in the past and have a question - wouldnt this dll require the auduiere dll present as well? Or have you found a way to static link audiere? I was trying to find some way to get it statically linked for ages, no success :/

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 18:12 Edited at: 31st Aug 2005 18:39
Quote: "i use it in this game: zombie hunter.

right now i only use the plugin to load the .ogg music, but these trigger zones do look interesting

i just tried the demo, you should make it so if you have entered the zone the sound will not play again.

like if i want to make a tutorial level (which im not going to for my game) and i want a voice to describe how to open a door.
when the door is opened and i move on, then go back through the door, it would be weird if the voice started talking again just a tip, but you do it however you want

good job by the way"

The trigger zone functions will change as I said earlier. There are several ideas in my mind for them. I'd like to have the "set audio trigger zone" implement various styles of trigger, but what you ask will be coded in short time.

Quote: "I might use this. It looks VERY useful!"

Great!

Quote: "Just glancing at this - looks good I have worked with auidiere alot in the past and have a question - wouldnt this dll require the auduiere dll present as well? Or have you found a way to static link audiere? I was trying to find some way to get it statically linked for ages, no success :/"

As of right now you will need to have the audiere.dll in your programs directory. I do have the source code to audiere but I have not tried to compile it yet because it requires a couple of extra libs that I haven't installed yet. I imagine in time I will attempt this idea. During these current development times I'm trying to build up my functionality while creating new at the same time.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 02:52
Looks good! Nice to see a free OGG DLL!

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 06:43
Quote: "Looks good! Nice to see a free OGG DLL!"

Thanks! That's true it's free, and will stay free. My goal was to create an audio plugin that would rival DBP's own DLLs for sound. I think they are lacking in that area, and with game creation good audio support helps a lot.

Well, I'm back at the office, and about 20-30 minutes from now I will begin more work on this plugin.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 08:48 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 11:31
Two commands have been changed below:

SET AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE trigger index, audio index, trigger x, trigger y, trigger z, height, width, depth, trigger type
*NOTE: Trigger Types,
1 = Play sound when trigger entered, stops when trigger exited.
2 = Play sound when trigger entered, keeps playing till done even if the trigger area is exited.
3 = Plays sound only once.
4 = Loops sound when trigger entered, stops sound when trigger exited.
CHECK AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE trigger index, current x position, current y position, current z position

Changes include 4 different types of trigger zones (these are fully functional). The use of environment type audio still needs to be added in. I also updated the keywords file, it looked like it wasn't updated in 1-2 days. Hope you like the updates, and I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion on this project.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 06:36
Here's an updated example of trigger zones. Similar to the test program above that demonstrated the primitive trigger zone. This one includes the four zones that are listed in the post above this one.

To switch through the trigger types press the shift key for going up a type, and the control key for going down a trigger type.

Click here to download the trigger test

There are going to be a few new updates coming soon regarding triggers. One is trigger indexes. This needs to be implemented so users are limited to one trigger per audio index. And the second being 3D environment type sound at the trigger zones.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2005 13:23 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 11:30
I updated the trigger points a little bit more, now there is some distance volume changes. Also there is three new commands:

AUDIO WHITE NOISE audio index number
AUDIO PINK NOISE audio index number
AUDIO RESET PLAYED trigger index number

The white and pink noise commands create a stream that you can use for triggers or playback. The "audio reset played" command resets audio trigger 3 (that trigger is the one that plays sound only once)

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 13:42
The zip file that is linked at the top has been updated again. This time while maintaining and updating source code I found that the white and pink noise generators didn't check for device creation before attempting to create the stream. Thus causing the program to just exit out.

I had added checks for this, and if no device was set before the plugin will autodetect the proper device and use it.

I'm not sure how busy the day will be, but if there's time I plan on updating the trigger zone environment stuff.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 10:42
Got a major environmental distance volume update finished. For any of the trigger types that I created--depending on how close you are to the actual point within the trigger zone the audio volume will change higher or lower depending on your distance.

Updated link is still the same:

Directions for where to put the files is in the very first posting of this thread if you need help.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 06:40 Edited at: 6th Sep 2005 06:41
This plugin's beta testing phase is nearly complete and it'll be ready to switch over to a program announcement. Last night I started creating documentation in a help file so programmers have a reference to check out for information on commands.

Maybe if I'm lucky this plugin can be featured in TGC's monthly newsletter.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 07:26
This looks most interesting. I'm soon going to be really going for sound in a big way for a little game of mine.

Can you tell me if your trigger volumes detect the position of the listener as well as, or instead of, the camera?

Congratulations on your work so far though - most impressive!
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2005 07:56 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 11:29
Quote: "This looks most interesting. I'm soon going to be really going for sound in a big way for a little game of mine.

Can you tell me if your trigger volumes detect the position of the listener as well as, or instead of, the camera?

Congratulations on your work so far though - most impressive!"

Thanks for the compliments!

The command "CHECK AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE" checks the location of the user based upon the current x,y,z values you feed it. So you could almost anything in your 3D world to set off a trigger.

There maybe a change to this command in the very near future. As of right now if you notice it uses the audio index number as the referencing index. I would like it to have its own trigger index number to offer more possiblities for users.

[edit]
The command mentioned above was updated.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 11:28 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 11:35
Another update and improvement!

Improvements were made by creating trigger zones that are independant of the audio index number. This means that you can use the same audio file in more then one trigger zone, and use different trigger types!

Here's the updated commands:

AUDIO RESET PLAYED trigger index

You can find the updated zip link above.

[edit]
As I look over this whole thread it looks really sloppy, I can't wait till it's time to switch it over to a program announcement.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 20:06
I think it's not a bad thread - it's informative, and reads as an introduction to the new features in bite sized chunks.

If only I had more time, I'd look at this properly at home, instead of just downloading it and letting it stew.

Darn it, Work! Let me have some free time!
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 21:23
Quote: "audio plugin for DarkBASIC Professional that plays Ogg Vorbis"

Your my hero.

"Dark Basic rocks! Although the things you can do are not as dynamic as C++, just think how long it would take to do the same thing! I can get FPS of over 60!"
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 04:29
Quote: "I think it's not a bad thread - it's informative, and reads as an introduction to the new features in bite sized chunks.

If only I had more time, I'd look at this properly at home, instead of just downloading it and letting it stew.

Darn it, Work! Let me have some free time!"

I get tired of going to work too. Luckily this weekend I get a day off for vacation! It'll be nice when you get time to check out this plugin. There's quite a bit of function and it's very easy to use.

Quote: "Your my hero."

I saved the day?!

-

The documentation for this plugin is kicking my butt. As with any sort of documentation writing I hate it. There's around 13 more commands for me to document, and then I have to go back and polish what I wrote the first time.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 20:10
Looks good

New dbpro site unleashed go to
http://www.freewebs.com/darkbasicpro
Philip 1337
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 20:44
Sounds good

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 20:52
Well both

New dbpro site unleashed go to
http://www.freewebs.com/darkbasicpro
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 20:17
Quote: "Looks good"

If you tested it out, let me know how it worked out for you.

Quote: "Sounds good"

Thanks for trying it out! Was it easy to figure out how to use?

Quote: "Well both"

This must mean you tested it too. How easy was it for you to use?

Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 02:27 Edited at: 11th Sep 2005 02:32
Well.. it is really really easy to use, Torrey..

But..
The BDP programmers could load a 3D sound (or just a sound),
and set the volume by the listener/camera position..

This plugin was good enough
Those trigger commands wasn't necessary.. but it is still
amazing how you maked that with a dll..
so.. great work

Philip 1337
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 01:16
We need a sticky thread i think to tell people of things like this!

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 02:40
Quote: "Well.. it is really really easy to use, Torrey..

But..
The BDP programmers could load a 3D sound (or just a sound),
and set the volume by the listener/camera position..

This plugin was good enough
Those trigger commands wasn't necessary.. but it is still
amazing how you maked that with a dll..
so.. great work"

This is true but there are several limitations to DBP's audio features. A big example is the file formats they support. Audiere was a great library for creating a plugin. On top of that the trigger zones was an idea I had come up with that could enhance games, and so far it's working pretty well!

Quote: "We need a sticky thread i think to tell people of things like this!"

Tell people of things like this plugin? If so, I'd like that idea too!

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 08:58
Updates:

Finished up another small portion of the documentation. I'm also starting to think that the documentation is too simple. Using this plugin barely requires thought. If you take a look at the command list you'll get a good idea how it all works.

Spent some time over the past weekend researching my next projects for DBP.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 07:57
The most important update before taking it out of beta is now complete!!

This plugin no longer needs the Audiere DLL file. The new audio plugin dll has everything it needs all stored within the same file, and is even a smaller file size!

The download link is the same as the one above, but I'll link it again below.

There are 2 files included in the zip file, here's instructions for each file:

audiodll.ini - Add this file to your keywords folder.
audiodll.dll - Add this file to your plugins-user folder.

Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 08:50 Edited at: 16th Sep 2005 08:52
Quote: "Tell people of things like this plugin? If so, I'd like that idea too! "

Yeah.. I love your plugin because the formats..
I know trigger commands are to make the procedure
above (my last post) much faster..

It is really the best audio plugin for DBPro..
Congratulations, Torrey..
and many many thanks again

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 13:43
i have not tested the newest version yet, and i cant at the moment; im at work..

however my heart still beats for this
Quote: "SET AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE"

this will be really a great effect for my game

really great work, and .ogg support really saved my game because i have these great songs that are in .ogg and dbp couldnt play them.

so thanks alot

[href]lukashangout.tk[/href] Zombie Hunter This is a map editor
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2005 19:36
Quote: "Yeah.. I love your plugin because the formats..
I know trigger commands are to make the procedure
above (my last post) much faster..

It is really the best audio plugin for DBPro..
Congratulations, Torrey..
and many many thanks again"

Really nice comments, thanks! The cool thing is that now since it's all in one DLL it's possible to add more features later on.

Quote: "i have not tested the newest version yet, and i cant at the moment; im at work..

however my heart still beats for this
Quote: "SET AUDIO TRIGGER ZONE"

this will be really a great effect for my game

really great work, and .ogg support really saved my game because i have these great songs that are in .ogg and dbp couldnt play them.

so thanks alot"

No problem! The conversion to this newest version went without any problems. That's either a really good thing, or maybe meaning the worst it yet to come, but I remain optimistic about this release. I tested its features about 10 times during conversion to a single dll.

Think of that set trigger command like an invisible cube when using them with your level. If you have any problems or questions during your use of it, just ask on this thread. I check this site way more then I need to, so I'll see your question fast.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:53:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:53:26