Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pong y2k.5 - Balls of Steel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 16:56 Edited at: 12th May 2006 04:24
Okay, this is Pong y2k.5 - Balls of Steel, Beta 2.

It's totally playable, I just want it to be perfect it before I make it multiplayer. It started out as a learning experience and mutated into something crazy. So, play my game and critique it. If it needs improvement, I'll fix it. If it sucks (it doesn't) I'll move on.

It supports joystick and force feedback (I have to hit the analog button for it to work), sound effects, music, 5 levels of play. It started out as the old limp pong, but it got much bigger, longer, and harder... And it's got pong robo-babes.

http://secretbears.com/pong/Pongy2kBeta2.exe

Let me know if anything is funny, quirky, or buggy about it. Let me know things I can improve. I wrote it on a 2ghz laptop, so it should work pretty good.

You can shoot the opponent and the ball! The computer is not as good with the gun, so use it to your advantage.

Enjoy!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice game, good work

BlueLight Online, improved version of MorningOnline
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 03:29
Thanks Hey, any ideas for improvement would be great.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 10:43
Very cool! This gives pong a new dimension

Where did you get the music? i like it!

.::Studying game design at the moment::.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 11:36
OK. A bit better than first version.

Ball angles are still a bit weird. Never seem to go less than 45 degrees. I like pong games where there is a large variety of bouce angles. Angle should vary depending on where ball hits your paddle and it's incoming angle.

The reason I found first version so hard was that you did not explain you could actually shoot! Now I find out, by trial and error, that the spacebar lets you shoot the ball and other player.

What's the point of having a lovely pdf if there are no instructions? I know this is only a beta version but some idea of controls and gameplay would be nice.

Nice to see you progressing though and not giving up like many others do (including myself).

Boo!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 12:23
Thanks Beta 3 is almost out. Various improvements. Beta 4 will most likely be multiplayer.

The ball angle is determined by the momentum of the paddle. If you are moving right, and the ball is coming at you left, it will make the ball bounce straight. But, if it seems weird to you, then it probably still needs some work. I'll tweak it.

Beta 3 will have in game help and an updated PDF. Thanks!

dapaintballer 331
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 23:38
WOW, very very cool, nice job

Are you going to post the source for any of the versions?

~`Gamerssoft.com'~
sub zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice cool
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2006 03:34
Same HERE
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 04:23
Wow, I thought this thing was long dead. Actually, after my RPG demo, I'm going to redo this game. It was written with spagetti code, and not timer based. I think that it actually has a lot of potential, and while it's complete, still has some weaknesses. I actually thought this game was fun.

I'm going to use my entity creation system and better particles as well, as well as new weapons, bonuses, etc. This was my first game ever, and one of the problems I had was keeping all of the media organized. It was a mess, but a pretty well working mess.

Quote: "Are you going to post the source for any of the versions?"

I might post code for this version, but not the redone version.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2006 04:28
Dang it, I bumped this cause I wanted to download it, that way you would repost the game since that secret bears site was down. It would be nice if you could post it using the TGC uploader. Thanks for the consideration?

BTW - Did you get my email, about that model. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:46:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:46:47