Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The great Community Graphics purge – Free Web/Graphic design

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 17:30 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 02:01

Current Statistics:
Remaining websites available: 5

Site wips/completed: Nuclear Glory, Tinkergirl

Reserved temporarily for:
Kangaroo 2
Nuclear Glory

(The people above are the ones I personally chose and offered a website re-design to. They are not being forced to accept, and if they decline their reserved position will become free again.)

Hey kids!!!

It’s that time for me to start considering the future – what I’m going to do, how I’m going to do it, and what Plan B is after I screw up Plan A.

Here’s the long-term plan: I have just over a year of high school left, and I’ll have to attend college once I’m out. I now see that’s its too late for me to attend my desired college as the requirements are too high, so I’m going to go to a slightly lesser college that happens to be closer and more convenient for me.

My current short-term goal is to get this “scholarship”
(http://wherecreativitygoestoschool.ca/artinstitutes/toronto/sp/scholarship/) from The Art Institute of Toronto, a private yet wildly advertised college.

My secondary goal is to launch a “Design studio” to try to get in some pocket money for college. Therefore Polycat Studios was born with the aid of a close coder friend.

What do 3 of these things have in common? I need a solid portfolio. That I do not have at the moment.

So this is what all of this is about – over this March Break I will be designing a minimum of 6 websites for anybody who really needs/deserves it. Yeah, every designer needs to put in his share of “free work” and this is my way of repaying whatever dues I have to the community and getting my name out at the same time. So now to get started…

Guidelines:

Post a link to either a game or application that a site is required for. Please note, that since I can make a limited amount of sites I cannot make a website for every RPG that has a few screenies and a test cube. I will only pick the most completed products or the ones with most potential

- Describe your objectives, what you have in mind for the site, and link 2 websites that you like, explaining why

- Not a lot of guidelines really…just don’t request crap like “hey u I need a websites for my mmorpg kk?” but I think that’s pretty obvious already

- Don’t get mad if I can’t do your site, I apologize. It’s a “First come first served VS Quality of Request” system. So if you reserve a site first, but someone else reserves one with a better product and better description, they’re going to get the site.

- Please allow at least a week for me to actually make the site?
(Also, give me some time to look over your request and think)

- Will add more guidelines as people find ways to exploit them

What I am offering:

Website design (Graphics, html template)
Logo Design

What I DON'T do

- Coding: DON'T ask me to code anything. I am not a coder, I just make graphics

- Don't ask for Flash animations, please.

- I don't do pure CSS sites. Don't even ask please.

I might be missing a ton of stuff, but I’ll keep this thread updated. I think this is it for now, so get on with the requests – I hope to get in a good variety of sites for my portfolio.

-Megaton

p.s Samples of my work…

Recent websites:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Megaton/SAMPLES.gif

Recent logos:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=805052

And to finish with, please be aware that I only do graphics and templates. Meaning I create my graphics in Fireworks, and export to generated html. If you wanna some pimped out feature or skin, I an only provide you with graphics. You're gonna have to do the coding work.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 18:04
Well given how much I'm sure you love me, won't hold be waiting by my inbox with baited breath... but I could *really* do with a website.

You didn't specify how you were suppose to request, by e-mail or in here or by pigeon. Hmm wonder if I could train one of my dad's chickens to do airmail..
well before I get distracted, Liandri has recently taken on a project and we need something that'll just looks nice and professional.

Don't have many website in mind in terms of design... In-fact what I'm looking for is something similar to XBox.com, crossed with the XBox 360 Dashboard.

Tried to do it myself a while back, but alas it wasn't to be
I'd actually be looking for some similar features too, particularly direct linking to XBox Live! information (like Live! Arcade). It will also need to be compatible with viewing on the XBox 360; as well as Windows XP / MC / Vista.

I know it's a fairly difficult request, and wouldn't expect all of the features to be there. Just enough of them to provide seemless access from both platforms.

Doesn't need to be Mozilla / Safari compatible, in-fact it would be prefered if it was Explorer only. (given the nature of Liandri's business)

There's quite a bit more that I could explain and map out for you in terms of features, but that would be best left for e-mails if/when you choose to develop it.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 18:10
Hi,

I'd like to request a catlick of paint for the Open MMORPG Project. We should be moving the site to the new subdomain within the next week and a half, and having a decent logo, colour scheme and other graphics would be great (as well as a nice late 6-months anniversary present ).

There may be some limitations to the design, as it's based on a forum and we'll need to turn it in to a forum skin, but a mockup should be enough to get the correct graphics in and working.

The genre is classic fantasy, with a 'constructive' theme (as it is a community 'construction' project).

Two websites I admire the style of:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm, in particular, I like the blended wire/render look of the construction kit part of the site.
http://www.darkandlight.net/?lang=en (The layout, not the colours or graphics).

There is already models, screenshots and working code there, should you need it.

Many thanks, Megaton
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 18:15
I would like to request just a logo please, if that is ok?

Just needs the words POWERSOFT in there somewhere (no case preference)

Based on the theme of web, software and game development.

(Could this be provided in PSD format?)

Cheers,
Rich

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 18:24 Edited at: 11th Mar 2006 18:43
Hi guys, I've updated my first post with some stuff regarding coding: I DON'T DO IT!

Raven: Not true, I'm your biggest fan.
Sounds like a reasonable job. I would not know how to get the site working on either Xboc360 or Vista as I have neither. Any coding-related features you're going to have to do yourself. I'm just gonna prepare you the graphics & layout. We can converse via email, but I'll post the final design up on here for all to see. Use my usual Gmail to email full information. I would also be interested about seeing our project.

Tinker: That's where I may have some trouble. As already noted, I can't change any skins as that requires quite abit of coding. I could however come up with a template or a PSD file, and you could take over from there.

Powersoft: Definatly.

Thanks for the replies guys, you've made my March Break a full-time work week.

I guess 'll definatly be doing more than 7 sites then.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:12
Mega, thanks for the offer, I know my site is shite right now, but I will pass. I havent the time right now to think about the redesign of my site but some point soon I will have to. I need to get some other beauracratic crap done first with my business and the taxes etc etc, then I'll be looking to redo the site.

Thanks anyways tho
big fat smelly cat - what are they feeding you?

FREE Automatic file updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum - DBP Demo
Torsten Sorensen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:15
You post this the day after I complement you on your web design.
I need a simple template for my website...something that looks like a web portal, and it needs to be green. I could also use a logo that just says BNTGames in a spraypaint like look...like to one I have on my website. I'll email you the font.

My site was hacked and everything was lost.
Please help me rebuild BNTGames.com!
Home Forums
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:30
Heyla Megaton, don't worry - I didn't expect you to skin the forum yourself, hence I asked if you could make a mockup. A template (as a PSD with layers) would be perfect.

(Funny how people forget to include the "two websites and why" )
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:36
I would ask for one Megs, but I'm intending to give you a lot of money to make me a massive robotic dog in a few days time, so I couldn't expect you to redesign my site too.

Megaton Fido.

But in all seriousness, at some point I will be after a webdesigner, but until I have time to actually put some effort into the PHP and database shizzle myself, it'd be foolish to ask ya. Still, I would ask for some MegWeb action if I had time to do it justice.

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 19:38
I'm still waiting on my model

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 23:27 Edited at: 11th Mar 2006 23:33
Quote: "the ones I personally chose and offered a website re-design to"

What're you implying? What motivated us being on the list, if I may ask? Just curious, it's cool.

I could really use some logo work done. The logos in my manuals and stuff have been this ugly black & white header. I also need to get some logo work done for our clothing-apparel. (Maybe only 2 or 3 logos, since it'll be copied to a version of every physical object we're selling)

Want me to post the details here? Or do you want me to email you?

Edit:
Just read your more current post about emailing you. Will do.

Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Megaton would you be willing to make a site designed to look something that could be considered "emo". I don't really have the time to design a template and layout,etc for a site for my "campaign" against the emos and it's actually more serious then anyone may think it to be. Don't really have any specifics right now just if you're willing I can post up specifications.

On another note... Tinkergirl does this mean that Kenjar's compo is basically useless? Because I've almost finished my design and was going to post it up tomorrow at somep point. =(

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Fryedrycestyle]

[/url]
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 05:31
website looks nice. when i get some more video and game stuff done on syndicate I may look your way.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 07:19 Edited at: 12th Mar 2006 07:21
Quote: "What're you implying? What motivated us being on the list, if I may ask? Just curious, it's cool."

Don't take this the wrong way, but seriously, your site looks horrendous. The layout is unintuitive, spacing is out of proportion and links are thrown wherever there's room. I honestly don't think you could've picked a worse colour scheme, green, blue, grey and yellow? And turquoise roll-overs? Yuck! Oh, and don't even get me started on the template buttons and useless sound effects! Your website makes me want to break out and cry, if you want my advice, take up Megaton's offer ASAP - you're trying to sell a product with an amateurish website, bad idea. Presentation increases sales tenfold.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, I mean, I have seen worse sites, it's just someone had to break the news to you.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Hahaha <falls on floor>

I can't believe you said that. Congrats, your are the 1st person to tell me the new look sucks. After the rollover we got a lot of emails telling us it rocks. So, yes, you can have a cookie...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 13:48
Quote: "What're you implying? What motivated us being on the list, if I may ask? Just curious, it's cool."

Well, Exeat seems to have beaten me to the question and answered it fully.

I just chose people who have fantastic products, yet *ugly* websites. So I decided to change that.

Anyway, thanks for the email Glory. I'll read through it abit again and kep you updated.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 13:49
From what I understand, this offer is for the graphics only right? or is will there be some basic site development done, like the CSS and basic HTML, etc.?

I think that's the main problem most people face when working on new sites, and why templates are becomming hugely popular. It's just a pain in the arse getting a site that works properly on all browsers. What's more of a pain is most web-developers charge ridiculous money for even the most simple designs.

Somethings like TGCs website, if you took away the whole Database system and just looked at it as a website; most developers have quoted me in the region of £250 just for the template system that can be expanded on by myself. That's without any graphics and such.

Just stupid
Which for small companies, expendatures of that size while would be a good investment because of the reason Exeat mentions; is still a lot of money to be spending. Especially when turn-over is still under the taxable bracket.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 14:02 Edited at: 12th Mar 2006 14:05
Indeed, which is the sole reason why I now got a coder working with me proffesionaly - he can't match 2 colours together, so he codes like a maniac. (This guy is not involved in GCGP so don't get any ideas)

Quote: " From what I understand, this offer is for the graphics only right?"

Yes. I only create the graphics in either Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks (I prefer Fireworks as it's Dreamweaver freindly), I slice the design, and give you the blank html website. (And usually a CSS file for the text) Nothing more I'm afraid.

If you want to pimp itup with PHP, or Javascript, or some sort of trojan that infects all visitors, you'll have to do it yourself. Shouldn't be to hard, as you're all coders by nature.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 14:34 Edited at: 12th Mar 2006 15:15
heh, I'm an artist by nature.. coder by choice.
benny at work still finds it amusing to give me little tasks to do for the website at work just to see me fail miserabily.

get quite a bit of free-time there because of the rest of the staff are like completely college preps; so they're still trying to figure out how the PS2 works. end up spending most of the day with benny and carl (only original guys left from when i was last there) doing some random things while the other coders try to figure out what i've done with the graphics pipeline.

still hate working with the PS2 coding wise as it's a pain and i'm not a fan of OpenGL, but it's still awesome in a way cause it pushes me to think up new ways to utilise the limited hardware. The processor isn't a problem, it's quite powerful for most tasks; but try doing anything with the ram without streaming data properly and you've screwed the pipeline.

if anyone tells you that working with opengl's vertex arrays is a good way to spend you're week.. ask them what they're taking, cause they're such a damn pain over direct3d's vertex buffer system.
over the next month i've got to learn to do OO properly as i've got to work on converting the pipeline to be more managable for extensions. (hense the recent code i posted in the other forum using a class for something that really doesn't need it)

always found it weird how most web-designers can work magic with the web languages but give them C++ and they're lost; most of the time it works visa-versa too. I mean when was the last time you saw a programmer's website that you thought 'wow this looks good' with ?

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 14:39
Quote: "On another note... Tinkergirl does this mean that Kenjar's compo is basically useless? Because I've almost finished my design and was going to post it up tomorrow at somep point. =("

If you need to ask something about my competition then please post on the correct forums.

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Megaton Cat do you think you could make me a logo/icon sort of thing for a flash site of mine, I just need a image not anything done in flash just a image. The site is for a competition known as Cyberspace Pursuit, it is a Technology Student Association (TSA) competition in which students create a web site. Last year I came in at 5th place at the state level. And this year I'm creating a flash site and just need one more graphic a globe, I would like it to look glassy and sort of transparent.

I attached a early version of the site to give you a idea of what im making. The globe graphic I have rate now is crap. If you could make this I would be so happy and that would be one less thing I need to think about. Could you make it?
It would also need to say "Geospatial Technologies" or "Geospatial Tech.".

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 16:43
Hey guys

As already mentioned, I'll be needing some time to sort through the requests and ever longer to actually get them done with so hang in there.

Raven: I appriciate you using the thread as your software development Blog, but I'll probably be needing more information on that design you wanted. Since you're obviously computer literate, a rough mockup sketch for me wouldn't hurt either.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 18:32
Just wanted to show a preview screen screenie of Tinker's request:

Attachments

Torsten Sorensen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 19:28
Wow, nice job on that template Megaton!

Click my sig to go to my site.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I'll play ball. Though I completely disagree, I still can't help but wonder what you might be able to pull off.

So, IF you get the time, toss together a quick template and I'll check it out. If you're done with it (at that time) I'll throw it on our forums and drive some people to it. Then I'll have everyone put it to a vote (been needing a reason to use the polling feature on my forums anyhow).

Sound cool? So go nutz, no limits, no requests, Nuclear-Glorify us! If you win, I'll stick a link to you in the footer etc... and act as a reference too if you ever need one (ie: if one of your higher-ups needs to call and check the reference I'll vouch)

I'd even go as far as to be an "About the designer" page on the site, so people viewing our site can see where all the coolness sourced from.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 17:05 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 17:23
feed back on the first attempt would be great:

Attachments

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 17:05
A preview shot:

Attachments

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 17:24 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 17:40
Megaton: Love the NG site preview. Fuxoring roxxorz. Ahem.

Sorry, i just really really like the look of that ^^

[edit] Although (this is just my personal taste) i'm not too keen on the 'ALLCAPS' impact font-style stuff at the top, AND how close it is to the border.
But that's me. You've seen my sad attempts at designing websites already at some point, i'm sure. So bleh. [/edit]

... installing gentoo ...
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 17:47
I wish i had that level of artistic tallent... I'm about as artistic (as Blackadder would say) as three colourblind hedghogs... In a bag.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 21:17
Wow - I'm jealous NG's stuff looks ace, Megaton - well done.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
It is nice. I think it has too much of a one-man-operation style feel to it though. I'd like to lean more towards a corporate feel (the feeling of high contrast and like something's going on). No jokes please.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 22:19 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 22:22
If you fancy doing a makeover of my Potshot marketing pages, I'd love to take you up on the offer. Hell, I'll even incorporate the new look into the game if it makes a nicer job of it I realise that is back to front, but I'm willing to bow down to your superior graphical skills.

Click the Potshot logo below to see what it's like now. They are basically info pages inside an OsCommerce site, but I'm happy to move it to it's own mini-site if it looks better.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 17:04 Edited at: 19th Mar 2006 20:57
Hi guys

Just a brief update to mention that this thing is still going and I'm still dealing with your requests. Been jugling abit of stuff lately (and dropping them by accident) and had wasted quite abit of time on...irrelevency (Benjmain can back me on this one).

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 19:26
Yes. He just won't stop messaging me. I can't get any work done because of him.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Download the free version
s0l1dsnak3123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 16:25
hey megaton, could you make me a logo for my DBC IDE i'm working on... you'll get a mention and a link in the credits... here are some links that i'd like my logo to look like:

http://70.27.87.59/portfolio/images/logos/personafire.gif

http://70.27.87.59/portfolio/images/logos/ultimate_tennis_logo.gif

http://70.27.87.59/portfolio/images/logos/balance_logo.gif

http://70.27.87.59/portfolio/images/logos/edgelink.gif

http://70.27.87.59/portfolio/images/logos/gamershell.gif

maybe you could get the DBC logo and change it to look more suitable towards my IDE... just a thought... but to be honest - let go. The images above are just a few images that might lead to some inspiration or something...

visit my Forum... Contribute to GAT. DBC's latest GTA remake!!!
http://s0l1dsnak3123.proboards54.com/
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 03:16
I know this is a bit out of topic, but could you maby make a logo for the "Chicago Rush" project (on the dbc board) ? I need it as banner on my site, and i know you are great artist, so i thought you maby might come up with something.

Size 800*110 pixels.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 01:56 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 02:03
Hi guys

Small update: Been working like mad on my own portfolio site (where I will feature all of this)

The college's deadline for everything is March 31...so expect whatever logos & websites before then!

To top it all, I had quite a bloody block lately. Just opening up my graphics app and look at it, without doing anything. The true downside of the design industry.

[insert cheers here ]

edit: Raven, if you still want that design, I'll be needing more information. Use my gmail!

edit2: And yes Nuclear, I'll be re-doing yours to give you a nice corporate (coughfakercough) look!

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 02:00 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 02:03
Alright what gives? I can't edit my first post.

Gawr.

edit: Ok, got it.

s0l1dsnak3123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 21:14
so you arent doing my one... or are you simply ignoring me...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 04:50 Edited at: 29th Mar 2006 04:50
A little bit of column A little bit of column B...

Heh, kidding. I'll try to get around to as many of them as I can.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 09:04
Thanks, Megaton. You're a lifesaver (regarding the work you did for me on several occasions ). When you graduate from your post-secondary institute let me know if you're still looking for work.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 16:30
Thanks Jeku.

Just convert that bloody huge logo to a nice jpg!!!

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 16:41
Megaton, I must say, that Nuclear Glory site mockup is a ton better than the current NG site. Great work, hopefully that site will be used.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 19:23
Quote: "Just convert that bloody huge logo to a nice jpg!!!"

Riiight--- I knew something was wrong

Anyways, I missed what you wanted for a linkback, so next time you're on MSN let me know.

s0l1dsnak3123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 21:29
Quote: "A little bit of column A little bit of column B...

Heh, kidding. I'll try to get around to as many of them as I can."

thanks megaton

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 22:57
Hi everyone

Finished Nuclear Glory's re-design today:

http://www.bouncyrock.com/nuclearglory/index.htm

Opinions appriciated. I'll get working through some other requests and update you guys with the developments. 2 more days till my deadline!!

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
That one is nice.

Kudos!

I'll probably haul it over to the NG forums and see what they think too, lol.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 23:26
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 00:40
Yeah, the flame is pretty funky.

Also Nuclear, lemmi know if you need a shirt design.
(Trying to get as much variety in my Portfolio as I can...shame I can't do print work)

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 01:24 Edited at: 30th Mar 2006 01:25
Not too shabby. The old NGC page was nice enough, but it came across as being built by a mad computer genius in his basement. A bit indulgent, even - tons of confusing parts strung together with nerd wire. The new one is right on - clean, simple, professional.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 16:21:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 16:21:35