Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] Game Developer - thread 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 11:44 Edited at: 18th Feb 2007 00:33
VIEW THE LAST PAGE FOR UPDATES, PLEASE
Hi. I have stopped updating this page, and am giving information on the last page, so naturally, thats what you should check. The project has changed quite a bit actually. For this reason, I will ask for you to view my website. [href]www.tree3d.co.nr[/href] There is also, a rather, large, forum there for a lot of topics that dont necessarily have to do with this project, however, if you have a question, I ask that you ask it there. In addition, if you register to that website, and get a "Debug Error", thats fine, you will still have your account created, just log-in next.

I HAVE MY OWN FORUM
spider was kind enough to give me my own forum
Here is the link: http://z6.invisionfree.com/gamedev/index.php?showforum=27
Also, if you could please register there. The starting page is here http://z6.invisionfree.com/gamedev/index.php?act=idx
Join and visit those forums, please.

I need 2 more beta testers...
sixty squares decided not to be a beta tester, oh well. The thing is though, i have a beta version ready to be tested, but i have no beta testers. This isnt good. So, please, i need beta testers, hurry! Thanks.

I still need 1 more beta tester...
As of recently sixty squares agreed to beta test, i will just send him/her an email, and all will be good, and i will be ready for another beta tester. The good thing about suggestions is that they are good for the development process. Especially because of BENOJs suggestion about physics (i forgot all about those wacky things). So, it is always a good idea to inform me of what you think would be good for this (as long as its not an insult).

I still need 2 more beta testers!!!!
OK, i still need 2 more beta testers. Just post here if you want to be. Also, i am adding a "Dynamic Object Entity" system. Which will work like fpsc, except, more for my needs. I was thinking of it yesterday, and started on it yesterday night. Also, i think i'm going to get BlueGUI today or tomorrow. That will improve the GUI quite a bit! After that, i'll contribute the GUI to the community.

I need 2 more beta testers!

Demo is expected!
There is a demo expected some time soon. All I have to do is finish the dialogs, and add in my Windowed camera code. As for now, here are some screen shots of the dialogs, and dynamic naming.
DIALOGS:

DYNAMICNAMING:

- I know the name is kind of blury, but it says "Enemy"

Hello all! (I hope this isnt a double post), I have been working on a product called Game Developer, Here is a screenshot! (View the attatchement)

And here is some information!

Game Developer uses a relatively simple UI (User Interface), You can see it in the screenshot. Though, what you can also see is some "Game Maker" buttons, this is just a temporary solution, as I have posted. Anyways, I'm sure some more information about the progress would be nice, so here it is!

= Finished
= Working On
= Planned

User Inteface
Created Functions
Overall design idea
BASIC language
Editting and "Special" views (Special = 3D for checking how it should look)

Porting functions from 0.4 to 0.5
Compiler - 45%
Non "Game Maker" button images
Finishing Dialogs - 39%
Save/Load/Export to DBP/Build

Getting BlueGUI for Dialogs
Help File
Demo for 0.5

That's what has been completed, worked on, and planned.

NOTE: The demo version will not feature the "Build" option, but it will export certain DBP code (And Load/Save).

[EDIT] Who likes screenshots?

Look at how much of an approvement i have made since i started...

Hey, everyone loves screenshots, its the first thing you do when you go to buy a game (Look at screenshots).

[EDIT2] Come view the site for downloads of versions 0.4-0.1!
http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware/gamedeveloper.htm

[href]www.tree3d.co.nr[/href] Tree3D Software... Because a 2D tree isnt good enough.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 12:00
It looks nice, but why are you using gamemaker buttons?

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 12:03 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 13:37
It seems he edited it with information.

so ill edit this too.

WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 13:26
I'm using game maker buttons as a temporary solution. I plan to make differant ones later on. I will make my own (Though i'm not a good artist).

As for the "Hes lazy" comment, i had just attempted to post this thread, but it didnt go through. I said I will edit it later because i was in a hurry and just wanted to get it out.

I am about to edit the thread now.

GameDeveloper's EasyEdit v0.5, view thread #2
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 20:13
Why did you start a new thread?

common people are walking in line.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 03:40
The other thread was focussing on a preview, with some demo stuff, as well as offering a GUI. PLUS, with how the other one looked, I didnt think that many people were interested. Besides all that, I was going to start a new thread in about a month, how ever, my internet was still working for some reason, so I decided to take advantage of the flaw in service.

So please ignore the other thread, you can go there to get older versions of GD. Also, incase you havent noticed, the software looks, and works almost completely differant now! (I love how it looks and works now!!!) And the final reason why I decided to use a differant thread was because i had way too many more views than posts, the ratio wasnt right, and I wasnt getting enough information on why people where turning away, and what to do with GD, so now I'm trying to ask you guys.

Looking back, it may have been the wrong thing to do, and now i feel sort of bad for it, but it was late when i started this thread, and I felt like I accomplished so much more with v0.5 than any other version, it just felt like I had started a new project.

If the mods, or Richard, Lee, or someone else doesnt like that I started this new thread, feel free to lock it, and tell me to use the other thread.

GameDeveloper's EasyEdit v0.5, view thread #2
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 06:49
looks cool, I'd like to see how easy it really is to use. Post screenshots in your first post (and more than one), it grabs people attention more than if you just attach one.

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 06:53
Wow, that's odd, i was in the process of posting right when you did! Anyways, screen shots are there. Enjoy!

btw, Please give comments and stuff on it, it helps me out more. (Considering there is no download for 0.5, try from 0.4, dont forget the patch). Again, Enjoy! And thanks for the comment.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 07:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 07:41
This isnt yet implemented, but I thought i would let you all know that the dialogs are being worked on as a part of the GUI, what i have done is, basic windows and window movement, a way to gradient/flat fill windows, write text to windows, write check boxes to windows, and some input boxes were just now done.

[EDIT] Sorry, that wasnt very descriptive, what still needs to be done to them is this:

Add radio boxes
Add Close buttons
Adding certain parts of the other GUI to the dialogs.

There was a few bugs when i first started the dialog development (Really big ones), but I got all (if not most) of them sorted out.

The biggest bug now is a problem with clicking inside a window to make it active. I'm not sure why it's not doing this, but when i click the caption bar of the window, that allows you to move it and keep it active. I like that i can move it anywhere perfectly now though. Once this is done, i won't have a need for BlueGUI. That makes me happy. Any thoughts?

btw, please give comments, criticism, suggestions, etc on the project. You can download versions 0.1 - 0.4 now.

BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 17:26
hi! its me from the other post, you told me to come and check it out... well im here, certainly looks good . Im just a bit confused by how you managed to make a new compiler if its written in BDP. i assume that u made the compiler in c++ or whatever, but how can u make a compiler understand DBP and allow it to run in opengl, because the DBP is all directX ? unless your code generates some sort of script, that you then use to compile... im not sure, but if this is the case, how can it generate DBP code lol, im very confused at how you did this, so if you could shead a lil light on it that would be great.

as i say it looks really cool so far, how long have you been working on it? and when you need some beta testers, ill help

thanks BENOJ

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 06:33
Quote: "certainly looks good "

Thanks!

Quote: "Im just a bit confused by how you managed to make a new compiler if its written in BDP."

The compiler is not written in dbp. Maybe you got what i said wrong, the compiler can export your project to dbp code, but it can also create pure executables. (I like that i got it to do that!) If you go to my website http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware , and then to the GameDeveloper page, you can see how far along the compiler is right now.

It can render in DirectX, OpenGL, and use the systems hardware for rendering. Though, the systems hardware will have some "cut-up" effects on your game, and should only be used on slow PCs. I would also like to state, that a little later i can get it to create executables for the Linux, and I am willing to learn about my most hated OS... Macintosh. (Nothing against the creator, just the product).

Quote: "how long have you been working on it?"

I started the compiler the day I started programming (which was the day i joined). But, there was quite abit of errors, and i did not know what i was doing wrong (or what i was doing for that matter). So it obviously did not compile. I stopped the compilers work for about 3 months, during the 3 months, after the first 2, i had decided to retry making my game making program "GameDeveloper", at first I thought i would try and make a runtime. I created a simple racing runtime, but the runtime was far from finished, what i had gotten done was the ability to use choose cars, a title screen, a racing engine which involved following a matrix, a skybox, etc. But nothing that a racing engine truly needs, later (about 2-3 months ago), i had given up. Anyways, sometime while i was doing that, i learned abit of non-BASIC programming, so that was when i decided to continue to work on the compiler. I worked on the compiler, and sharpened my skills as much as i could (for any piece of free-time i had). I eventually decided that a simple programming language could be completely out-done by DarkBASIC Pro. And that it would not be accepted for sales, so that's when the thought came into my mind "Open-Source", however i also realised that someone could still the source, or take many code snippets that was (truly) great. So that idea flew away, never to come back again. After that, i decided to work on an editor for it. And about a month ago (maybe 2) i had started designing EasyEdit. My world editor. Now, that was the designing, not actuall programming, or thoughts of code, just how i wanted it to be. Now this next part makes me proud, it was about 3 days before i posted the first GameDeveloper thread, that i had started programming, with just ideas, and nothing else. I ended up creating an Open-Source GUI, and some nifty functions based on what i wanted to come.

Now then, if what you meant was when did I start on this version of EasyEdit? That was a day or two before i posted, and it was great! It supported tabs, the GUI was completely redesigned, and not one piece of code was re-used! I was extremely happy with what i had accomplished.

Oh, sorry for the "story" styled paragraphs.

Just in time to! I would love beta testers, and since your the first to ask, you get to be!

I'll email you with some details and a version of EasyEdit, however, the compiler is currently being "redesigned" to run faster, and better. So you will have to wait a little bit for that.

I'll edit the top post first though to explain that i need 2 more beta testers.

BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2006 23:28
cool, thanks ive replied to your email... i forgot to ask, do you have MSN? if you do add me that way it will be easier to talk about it when its bein tested mine is ben.j.flowers@gmail.com

i am goin away on monday for a week so i cant test it for this week but after that ill be able to thoughrouly test it. are yu looking for like a game made or like just basic testing etc...

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 05:32
No, sorry i dont have MSN. That's because it seems to cost money to use it. Though, for the beta testers (you) and myself, i will make a client to send Net messages about information, include file links, etc. I'm logging into my email right now (in another tab) to check what you answered (just making sure it was a yes).

No, scratch that, it keeps saying i'm entering the wrong user name!! I'll try to fix that problem and check my email as quickly as possible (That site, sucks!).

PS: my email address does not reflect to my personality what so ever. I just searched free-email on google, and that's what i got.

AGAIN: I need 2 more beta testers!!!! Please email me if you would like to beta test, or post here! Thanks

Also, post suggestions and ideas of what you would like to see in the software, even if you think it already has it, it might not, so post. But, please do not post code, as i code everything myself and do not want to be blamed for producing a code that someone else uses and then getting into legal issues or something like that.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 10:27
Quote: "MSN"

its free,but there is a possibility to pay too.

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 14:37
DB:
Looks interesting and there seems to be a lot of potential

I'm confused. Are you saying that you are making this editor in DB/DBP and that you are working on a compiler in C++? Are you planning to use Dark Game SDK?

Are you planning to make it work similar to Game Maker?

Simple Game Toolkit - Game creation made simple!
Visit my website here or my forum and blog here.
BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 16:33
Hey DB you can get MSN for free, click the MSN to find out more
Quote: "'m confused. Are you saying that you are making this editor in DB/DBP and that you are working on a compiler in C++? "

to be honest im still slightly confused by this. Its just the fact that it can render in opengl and dirct x etc... because to do this wouldnt yuo have to make loads of seperate c++ code to make one render or the other or did u make it produce code for the irrlicht engine or something because you can choose which renderer.It can also make DB code wouldnt you have to make note of every command in DBP and then write ur program to produce this etc... seems liek a HUGE project if this is how you did it lol unless im wrong that is and there is an easier way to do it

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 03:39
Cool more responses!
I just used the msn install that was on my computer and it asked me to pay. It didnt give the free option. I will be getting it now. Thanks for informing me!

Quote: "Looks interesting and there seems to be a lot of potential"

Thanks!

@BENOJ and Dead Glory
What it does is take in code from the BASIC language i have designed, it then parses it. But before it does that, the user has the renderer options of OpenGL, DirectX or the system's hardware. From there, the compiler knows how the file will be made, and linked. You have then created an EXE which uses that such specific renderer.

Quote: "to be honest im still slightly confused by this. Its just the fact that it can render in opengl and dirct x etc... because to do this wouldnt yuo have to make loads of seperate c++ code to make one render or the other or did u make it produce code for the irrlicht engine or something because you can choose which renderer.It can also make DB code wouldnt you have to make note of every command in DBP and then write ur program to produce this etc... seems liek a HUGE project if this is how you did it lol unless im wrong that is and there is an easier way to do it"

Well, I do know how to use the irrlicht sdk. And it is an idea in my mind. But in order to get it to be able to used on TGC, i dont think i would be allowd to do that. PLUS, i would have to give credit to the zlib (and the "jpeglib" (I dont know the exact name)). That is a good idea though, to output C++ code for how to make it, then you can learn from the code, and do it yourself. The option will be added, and credit will be given! Though, since i dont know your real name (and im not asking for it), i will just have to say, "Credit to BENOJ for the C++ idea."

Also, im desperatly working on GameDeveloper to fix a critical bug! Please wait like another day or two for me to fix it! Also, check the top post to see what i am planning...

BTW: Please tell me what you would like to see in GameDeveloper! If i only add what i want, no one else will want it! (Well, maybe a few). So please tell me!!!!!!! Thanks.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 19:14
Interesting concept and looking good to date.

I will follow this closely myself and see how it develops and will certainly give it a test run when 0.5 is available and working.

I wish you much success with the project.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 20:13
thanks uman!
Quote: "I will follow this closely myself and see how it develops and will certainly give it a test run when 0.5 is available and working."

I am still looking for 2 more beta testers, perhaps you would like to help?

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 00:23
Not sure that I can.

Whats the criteria needed to be met by such persons?

I would help if I can and am able.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 00:28
DB User 2006+,

I don't think you'll need BlueGUI, it looks descent enough as it is, plus you dont have to spend money

Look great too, I'll be keeping an eye on this project.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 01:55 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 01:58
Just a quick note :

I got the Black Editor screen when running editor following installation with an error message saying an image could not be loaded as some others have seemed to have encountered.

Fix was to edit the setup.ini I had in the download to show the exact path for the ground texture as so:

[IMAGE]
;floor Image
groundtexture=EditorGround_Texture.bmp where the Editor folder was not specified at all.

I have a couple of initial questions regarding the editor.

Can or will a user be able to specify the World Size?

Can we place a player yet?

Is the 3D view taken out at the moment?

Cheers

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 02:52
Ah, so many questions!

Quote: "Whats the criteria needed to be met by such persons?"

That you are able to know how to use a computer (Which everyone here is able to). And that they dont attempt to sell it. And an agreement an email. That's about it. I'm really in need of beta testers, and i am slightly (about 10%) working on a chatting client for beta testers to talk to each other. They will be given instructions on how to use it. I'm more concerned about fixing known bugs and issues in the editor, and getting all the dialogs up to date. (They need to use my GUI engine, and not use crappy windows calls)

Quote: "Can or will a user be able to specify the World Size?"

The world size is infinite. The grid is only there as a place holder to give the user a simple layout. It can also be used as a way to show terrains (though the terrains will be much smoother than the matrix).

Quote: "Can we place a player yet?"

Actually, I have thought of an idea regarding it. I will use my "Dynamic Object Entity" system to be able to control objects. The initial idea of this system was originally to give the mesh a texture when the object is placed, but later on it was decided it would also be able to be used to program a specific object. So in other words, it is indeed possible to place a player. This doesnt just revolve around a specific game category as physics can be implemented, and loaded, etc. So the character could be a car, in first person view, and you could play as a car in a first person shooter. Or you can have it race. The possibilities are what your computer allows.

Quote: "Is the 3D view taken out at the moment?"

3D view is something that was added in version 0.5, it works perfectly as far as i'm concerned. Though, for versions 0.4 and below, the user will have to squint their eyes, sorry

Now that all that is answered, i'm glad you guys dont think i need BlueGUI, because i'm negative in the bank, so i'm gonna have to hurry on this things progress!

I'm afraid i'm going somewhere this week, and will have to respond at the library (glad i found my card). I will tell you all of updates, but if a download becomes available, sorry, just wait a few extra days.

Also, i regret to inform you guys, i am redoing the compiler. My new parsing system is much better than my other one, but it cant be implemented without completely redoing the compiler. It wont take long though, it makes it easier to set up code. So in a way, this is a good thing!

Glad you all like it,
cheers!
-db

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 02:56 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 02:59
BTW, if you want to beta test, you are more than qualified.

[EDIT]Sorry for double post. [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]Checking to see if theres a problem with my image uploading, sorry again

[/EDIT]

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 03:15
Quote: "%"

There's your problem. Apollo doesn't like spaces.

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2006 00:33
So all i need to do is rename my picture? Thanks.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 00:59
Um, i do still need beta testers, and i cant access my email right now, so if you happened to email me, just post the email (Or what you can post) here.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 00:59
UPDATE!
I still need 2 more beta testers (Sorry for the bump, but no one seems to be giving suggestions). Unless uman agrees to the email i sent him, then i only need 1.

I have added the ability to display how many objects there are.
I added a Dynamic Object Entity format which means that all you have to do is position the object and your ready. It uses a sort of "scripting" language built in with the BASIC that GD uses. So you can make the object a player, an enemy, a pick-up, or anything. An editor for that is planned once GD becomes more advanced.
I changed how the caption of windows on the GUI looks. However thats it for the GUI.
I am about to implement a function so that the object is placed at the camera position instead of 0,0,0 (Uman brought this to my attention, it was already planned but didnt seem needed).
A few bug fixes have been made. Like a strange camera problem.
Some dialogs have been fixed.
The Game Maker buttons have been REMOVED, i repeat, they are gone. This is due to the Dynamic Object Entity format handling all the programming for you.
The executable no longer relies on about 100 images of Game Maker buttons, so it should be smaller when a demo becomes available.
GD now runs in fullscreen windowed mode. Uman, advised it to be ran in fullscreen, so i did.

PLEASE: Give suggestions, Ask about stuff, etc.
You are free to give free images if you like. Your name will appear in the credits. (If the images are used).

Also, the compiler has been improved alittle bit, but nothing worth mentioning.

Sorry, no screen shots with this post just yet.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 01:24 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 01:25
Is beta testing hard? IF I were to beta test, what would I need to do? Oh, and how did you make that Windows GUI?

VR2
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmm, let me see if I have this right...you are a bit skint, have been programming since february, took a few months off, started again, and now are "Just about to release" this game making system that can target PC, Linux & Mac, and to DBP or C++, using DirectX or OpenGL or "System Hardware" and you're thinking of charging $19.95 for it. And you are posting about all this on a forum full of people interested in game making programs, inviting previews from your bit of free web space.

On the other hand its only at v 0.0.4 (or 5?) and seems to be, from the demo download, un-runable (Error missing image...). In addition, the seperate bitmap images included did not match up with your screenshots, and there were not nearly enough of them either.

From your user guide:

Quote: "it is possible to create a game such as Doom3, or even an Xbox, Gamecube, Playstation, Psp, or another kind of game. Though, out of the box it can not create an Xbox, Gamecube, or any other kind of game other than for the PC. The reason you can do this is because you can directly insert C++ and/or BASIC code into your game"

So, you are going to advertise that your game making system can create Mac Games because the user can just type the C++ code in. LOL! And what's gonna happen then?...I notice that your "Compiler" folder was empty. Oh but hang on..

Quote: "What it does is take in code from the BASIC language i have designed, it then parses it. But before it does that, the user has the renderer options of OpenGL, DirectX or the system's hardware. From there, the compiler knows how the file will be made, and linked. You have then created an EXE which uses that such specific renderer."

Oh well that explains it then! You designed a version of BASIC since February (with a few months off), while working on everything else.....LOL!

I'm so sorry, I don't wish to offend anyone but I have never heard such a load of c**p in all my life!
BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 02:29 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 02:30
the reason it can run on macs etc... is because its like a hybrid, obviously i dont know because i never wrote the system but this is how i assume it would work, as it seems logical. What it does is you maek the game or type in the code w/e anyhow when you compile it, i guess it would generate c++ code for that game and then recompile it so in essence you are making a c++ game, Obviously this isnnt fact you'll have to ask DB and his BASIC language wotn eb a complete language, more of a scripting language because it will just work like functions like say in his language say he made a function called put which positions stuff and what it does is generates code in DB.
so it would be somethign like this

put(1,0,0,0) {
position object 1,0,0,0
}

but his will ahev the openGL or the DX code in instead of the DBP if you get what i mean. I think this is what DB means when he says he has a BASIC language . ( This may not be the fact you will of course have to ask DB im sure he will explain what he actually did )

edit: also just becasue he joined in febuary doesnt mean that he started programming in febuary he could have a long history in programming for all you know. (unless he said on this forum he started in febuary in which case ignor this

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 02:32 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 03:02
That was nice VR2.

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 02:57
Totally UnCalled for VR2. You have no idea how much time this person has on his/her hands...

Besides, the time they joined means NOTHING! They couldv'e been working on it before they decided to join.

Actually, what you've said, VR2, is a load of... as you put it... c**p.

Jrock is pronouned Jay-Rock
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 10:44
Thanks Jrock, Sixty Squares, and BENOJ.

Here is what it is,
I started programming before february (not sure how long though).

Quote: "took a few months off"

When did I say that? It might have been, took a few months off the project. But I would NEVER take a few days off programming (let alone a few moths). Programming isnt just a hobby, its exactly what i look forward to each day. (Well, 80% anyways).

Quote: "So, you are going to advertise that your game making system can create Mac Games because the user can just type the C++ code in."

No, no. The C++ code is a perk, but absolutely un needed. It can create mac games because of 2 things, OpenGL rendering, and output format. Now, perhaps one of the reasons that you think that it does this is because the editor was written in dbp? Only the Windows version of the editor. After i complete the windows version, i'll simply port the code to my version of BASIC. See, my version of BASIC must be able to be as advanced as the version of BASIC which made the editor that it runs, otherwise the product will lose attention. So i will do just that.

I did notice my quote, and that sounded a little odd to my ears too. You see, for the game consoles it is necessary to insert C++ code because you will need to have those game consoles sdks, and a license in order to do this. (This avoids legal problems on my behalf).

Quote: "I notice that your "Compiler" folder was empty."

Why would i include the compiler in a demo? The compiler wasnt made with dbp, this wip is focusing on the EasyEdit software.

Quote: "Oh well that explains it then! You designed a version of BASIC since February (with a few months off), while working on everything else.....LOL!"

Ive been working on parsers for a while. You would be amazed to see how much i can learn with just a tiny bit of knowledge. I can build from that one piece of knowledge and grow. I knew of games, so i played them, i wanted more (free) games so i went searching (to www.newgrounds.com (Some content not appropriate)). I got interested in how they worked so i went to game dev, the list goes on.

Quote: "
and his BASIC language wotn eb a complete language, more of a scripting language because it will just work like functions like say in his language say he made a function called put which positions stuff"

No, its a complete language. (Well, still in WIP i mean)

Quote: "Is beta testing hard?"

If you are not blind, have arms, hands and fingers, and know what a computer is, it should be down hill from there.

Quote: "IF I were to beta test, what would I need to do?"

What i would suggest as a sort of "course" is to...
1: Use the program normally (as if you were a consumer) and if any error comes up, or something seems odd, write it down.

2: Scout out bugs that you think could happen, like placing objects over another object then deleting 1 which (for now we will say) would delete both objects. (Though, that has already been tested, and does not (and will not) happen)

3: Write down suggestions, comments, give ideas for functions, GUI ideas, What you think might make the software look better, etc.

Quote: "Oh, and how did you make that Windows GUI?"

I refuse to steal code, however if you look for GUI 98 : Open Source (probobly on the 2nd page) it may follow the same lines as mine. I would like to state that i use NO code from GUI 98, or anything/anybody else. Everything i do with GD is hand written by myself. This avoids legal issues.

Well, im not very glad to see that the 2nd response i got was a flame that seemed to quickly die out, and all the responses after that were the "water" to put the flame out. But at least i got 1 response that was more directed towards what i was looking forward to.

My previous post still stands, please respond.

BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 13:02
hey DB i just thougth of something you could work in, im sure you were probably considering it anyway, btu i never saw it on your list. Basicaly a physics system, i wouldnt use DP if your planning on selling it though. But what you could do is, make all the physics customisable e.g. the user could change the am force of gravity and all you would need to do is make it so you can put a mass in for each object (not weight) and take it form there adding more features. Also you could make a cool car phyics/drive thingy so you know when you turn a car at speed it jkinda tilts doesnt it etc... you could make different drive types for the kind of car e.g rally car, jeep, F1 race car. Then what the user can do is wwhen they make the object they can choose to say its a car, and then the drive type

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 16:23
Okay why not I'll beta test
(if I can get the demo working...)Just I tried the demo (v4) and I can't seem to get it to work though. I ran the setup file (GD Setup.exe), and then it made a readme and told me to delete the setup file. However I did not. In the readme it told me to run the setup file (which would have been deleted). So I did. All it did was overwrite the readme and tell me to delete the setup file again. When I got the patch for v4, I ran it and it said that the program had to close. Could you help me out here? It's a big circle

BENOJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 16:28
the beta version isnt out yet, its seperate. DB send you the link for it when you agree to the terms and when its upon the site then you can download it, its currentaly not up atm tho

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 17:04
Oh thanks. And BENOJ, your sig scares me

The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks really nice! But I have question for you.is it truley a compiler or is it an interpreter, or compiled to assembly like dbpro or is it something else.Anyways good job!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 10:18
Quote: "I have question for you.is it truley a compiler or is it an interpreter, or compiled to assembly like dbpro or is it something else.Anyways good job!"

Well.... I have differant versions of the compiler being worked on. (Just to see what would be best). At first i was making an interpreter, but decided that wouldnt be right considering that the user should have more control than the program itself (on the program level). And it should run quick. Then I was thinking of trying to make it go through an object dump and linking type of thing. So i tried that, but its pretty buggy and killed one of the test rigs (woops...). So, im going to try to stay away from that until im certain that that way must be used. Now its similiar to dbpro, except with C++.

@sixty squares
Ill check my email in a second, if you havnt sent me one, i'll still send the agreement. Now I definatly need only 1 more or no more beta testers (depending on uman's response which i might still be waiting for). And about your problem, i beleive that you got that wrong, first use the setup program, then write over the setup.ini with this one here:

And that should solve everything.
If it doesnt, then enter the exact path of all the images.

You'll be pleased to know that this next version wont use any .ini files to prevent this problem. btw, the caption of the windows have changed, and might change once more because of a CD i recently made off my linux. (It will look better).

hmm.... I should probobly update my site...

Anyways, i think that covers it all.

Oh, yea, BENOJs suggestion:
I can try to make my own physics in dbp then port the code, but remember that everything uses source files for one big chunk of source code, so really i wouldnt be implementing anything but a better source file. (Good idea though.)

Ok, now im sure that covers everything. Beta testing may be soon!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 18:22
Okay well I finally got it to work but I'm afraid I may not be able to beta-test... The game itself has me confused at the moment (too advanced for me???) but I will give you some sugguestions :
-Object movement with the mouse (doesn't workd for me. If it does, that shows how confused I am)
-Faster zoom
-Faster camera movement

That's it for now Sorry, but I cannot beta-test.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 07:10 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 11:43
@sixty squares
Alright, then ignore the email sent to you..

The object movement with the mouse thing is what i want to do, but it just doesnt seem to work for me. Ive tried a lot of things, i even stooped down to using others code, but nothing. So i keep it as it is. The zoom has become faster by the ability to scroll with the mouse wheel, click on the zoom button, and press the "z" key all at the same time will make it go pretty fast. The same goes for the camera too (With differant icons and keys).

Quote: "The game itself has me confused at the moment (too advanced for me???)"

I think you mean app, but if its that advanced for you, i may need to add in a "BASIC" and "ADVANCED" mode type of thing. The help document i provided doesnt help much, it only briefly describes the controls, so for all current beta testers, the help file is much more extended.

@everyone
OH!
I have a BETA VERSION ready!!!!!!!!!!!

It's got an installer and everything, but i still need 2 more beta testers now. So, it will not be released as a demo until I have enough beta testers.

Seriously, its basically like being the person who downloads a demo version, and tries it out, except this would be the full version, and you would tell me of all the bugs. It's pretty easy.

So, post suggestions and ideas.

And one more thing, the dynamic object entity format is this:

Here is an example one

[EDIT] I forgot, i have a screenshot, here you all go

I know, its kind of big, sorry.

btw, i was working on the physics, its open-source (dbpro), but its buggy, heres the code:

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 13:39
Aww, now I feel bad! Anyway, I have yet another sugguestion:

-Print the object index of each object above the object, so it's easier to keep track (unless there is already a way of viewing things like this)
-Have the object change color tint when highlighted/selected.

And, that's it.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 06:56
I'm not sure if changing the color on textured objects work or not, but i will attempt it. But what already happens (As of 0.5) is a shroud comes up around the object (yellow) letting you know what the object's name is, then on top of that shroud (now drawn opaque) is the object's dynamic name. In the picture above, you can see a bug where the mouse is over a window, behind the window is information in a little yellow box about the object.

Any other suggestions? (I could use some, truly)

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 17:26
Ah ok. Well, the mouse drag is a biggie. Here's a messy mouse drag example I just made:

There was a better way but I forget what it was.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 03:46
Thanks, ill try to learn as much as i can from that code, but im not going to steal it, or use the actuall code itself in the project. I just dont like using other's code.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 03:50
Yeah that's fine. I try not to do that as well.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 05:39 Edited at: 30th Aug 2006 07:54
Actually, i just finished one. But im not at my house right now, so i have no sceenshots. But i figured out a good way to do it without using (basically) any math. This makes me proud of myself, i suggest you keep that code for your own editor though (if you make one for your game).

btw, i like your game

[EDIT]
i also figured something out for the compiler, please go to the forums i have in my sigs bottem link to find out what it is.
[/EDIT]

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 01:33
So, now i need more beta testers, is any one interested in beta testing? It's easy to do, really.

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 01:41 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 01:43
I'll beta test for you

Just include some objects and a few instructions.

Jrock is pronouned Jay-Rock

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:32:57