Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Chaos Theory - The Awakening

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 03:50 Edited at: 20th Sep 2006 23:45
-----UPDATE!!!-----
I just uploaded a beta download for you to try out, see my next post for the link!

[original post]
Okay folks, so I decided today that the project I've been working on for a while now is finally ready for the WIP board, and I decided I'd like some input, so here it is without further ado:

Storyline

Year: 2066
Place: Nevada Mountain Range, location undisclosed
Previous Occupation: Mercenary

The year is 2066. In the height of a scientific breakthrough, something goes terribly wrong. In the secret underground facility for researching fission/fusion power, things have suddenly turned up very strange results. All sensors have been cut off, and there is no seismic activity that would indicate the testing is still in progress. All is quiet. In fact, too quiet...

Government officials have reported that an uncontrolled explosion occurred. But that's only the coverup. Sources in the underground network have theorized something much, much worse. Yes, an uncontrolled explosion. An incredibly powerful explosion. So incredibly powerful, in fact, as to launch the entire facility and the surrounding area through time.

Along with these theories comes another startling revelation; the scientists and facility workers are probably still alive, with the assumption they made it through the space/time continuum alive. But what how will those who live in the future react to these new "intruders"? We'd rather not find out.

You, as one of the most prominent mercinaries in the underground, have been contracted by the government. It is your mission to carry an explosive, with the capacity to produce an even greater amount of energy than the previous explosion, to the core of the underground reactor. If you get there and all goes well, the mission will be a success and you will live in peace and happiness the rest of your life thanks to generous grants by the government. If you don't however, well...

There's only one problem. Nobody knows what's down there. And somehow I've got a bad feeling about this... All sensors have been cut off due to the jarring of the extreme explosion. Anything is possible. Expect the unexpected.

Do you have what it takes?

Oh, and good luck.

Screenies

Allright, I know this is really what you wanna see, so I'll cut right to the chase and give you a few screenies and a video (sorry for the bad quality video...)

From a few weeks ago...

Screenshot I took today

And here's the video!!!
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/jeffsto/Chaos%20Theory/?action=view¤t=Chaos_Project.flv

Again, sorry for the low quality, photobucket videos don't work too well....

What's Done
Mouse/Keyboard movement
Weapons, weapon switching
Seperate bullet grouping for each weapon
All Sound effects
'Sniping' zoom
Particles effects
Enemy AI
Enemy destruction

What's left
Player health/death
Options+Credit Screen
More enemies(maybe?)
More Levels!!!
More screen sizes (current only supports 800x600 cause my computer sux!!! )
More in-game music
More, more, more!!!

So that's what I've got so far. What I really want right now is tons and tons of input. Even if you're gonna say "ur game sucks and you should go kill yourself," I wanna hear it.

Also, right now the only thing I have to use for level design is Maplet . So if anyone is interested, I'd love to have some help with some level design.

That's all, folks!

-H4ck1d

[Edit] Forgot to mention, I will have the beta for downloading and testing very soon...

[Edit] Wtf? The pictures don't work.... whatever, just follow the links. Sorry

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those that don't.
The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH'
Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 05:01
cool

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 05:20
Interesting, but what does it have to do with chaos theory? Sorry, but I'm kind of a scifi nut...

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 19:20
For level design, download DeleD. It's free and is perfect for FPS levels. It also does excellent lightmapping

Looks good so far, Screenshots are a bit dark, and aren't very informative of what the gameplay is like though

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 23:40 Edited at: 20th Sep 2006 23:44
Thanks for the input guys! Unfortunately, DeleD doesn't work on my computer, but maybe I can sneak onto my dad's computer when he's not watching

The screenshots are pretty dark, I apologize for that. And as for the gameplay, did you check out the video? That should give you a better idea as to the gameplay. Just copy the link and put it in your browser window.

Any more input is much appreciated!

---Beta Download!!!---

I'm now ready to release the current beta, so follow the link below:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QLWE4CVZ

Currently there is only one (very bad) level and 3 enemies. Read the included "controls.txt" for the mouse and keyboard controls. Sorry for the bad control layout. In the future I plan to switch it to w/a/s/d, but for the moment please bear with me

Input on gameplay would be great. The main thing I need to know is how it works for higher framerates, because on my horrible computer I get an average of 7 frames per second. Yeah it's horrible !. So anyways let me know what you're thinking! Thanks guys!!!

-H4ck1d

PS Note on downloading the file - When you get to the page there will be 3 digits and then an input box at the top ([edit] it might bring you to an advert page first, just click on "return to megaupload" and it will bring you to the dowload), you have to put the digits in the box and then press download. Then it will make you wait for several seconds (it's free hosting...), and then when the countdown is done you can click it to download. Enjoy!

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 23:55
Sorry for the double post, but I finally got youtube to work, so you can watch my video there, it's a little better quality albeit still dark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17weP-4DHAk

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 00:55
Pretty cool demo looks like you did a good job. I liked the spark effects when you shoot the ground and when you shoot the bots. I think the spark-filled explosions is a little much though. Other than that, looks like it is coming along nicely.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 05:33
Allright, thanks for the input! I was thinking the same thing about the explosion, so I'll probably be replacing it with a generated explosion effect. Thanks!

-H4ck1d

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 10:50
Ok well ill skip to the chase, to make it better.

1. Change the controls though I didn't require reading the Txt it was pretty painful to use, arrow keys should never be used for movement controls, use WASD like any sane game, reload should be R, r being the first letter in the word reload, and I don't understand why someone would enter a robot filled place with non reloaded weapons.

2. The mousemove x/y commands return Floats, it was very apparent when aiming that you have merely assigned integers to alter these variables because if you try to move the mouse very slowly, you notice that the camera doesnt even turn at all.

3. It was way too dark, though there is alot of sunlight here making it harder to see stuff, it shoulden't have been that dark.

4. The battles with the enemys were rather unsatisfying, as the mech's animations were running rather fast, yet it seemed to walk like a snail, perhaps shooting it would make it slide back to make the effect better.

And there are a few other things but I shoulden't nit pick too much , though the graphics could be better I guess it isn't that much different from other projects .

Hallowed are the ori.
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2006 22:58
Okay, thanks for the input. I totally agree with the controls, it does rather tend to cramp up, as I mentioned I've been intending to change them, but have been too busy with other aspects to change it.

I understand what you mean about the camera movement, I had thought I had checked my code and determined that it must be that the camera only accepted integers, but I'll re-check my code to see if I do convert to integer by mistake somewhere in there.

Haha, as for the darkness, that is definitely a recurring theme I've been noticing . I think I have my screen set too bright, because it looks pretty decent on my screen, but my dad's shows it unbearably bright. I'll make sure to change that.

And finally, I'm guessing the fast animation is a result of higher frames per second, as I mentioned my computer gets only 7 fps on this, so it would obviously change things a bit. I'll get onto fixing the animation for higher frames per second.

DarkCoder, thanks a lot for your input, it's really incredibly helpful as I can't see everything in my game that others can. Thanks!!!

-H4ck1d

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 00:02
Keep going on this, it's looking like it might turn out very good!

PS are you a vampire, who can't bear light?

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 04:34 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2006 05:00
Thanks Diggsey!

Quote: "are you a vampire, who can't bear light?"

Um - Maybe...

[Edit]

Didn't want to double post, so thought I'd just edit this post, turns out I was dividing by an integer in my camera control code that made it not work smoothly. That's been fixed. I'll try to release my next beta after I've done a little more and have a more presentable level. Anyone feel free to give me any more input if you see anything wrong. Thanks!

-H4ck1d

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 07:20

Please draw whatever conclusions you can about my response above.

I didn't actually play it yet, but I downloaded it -- try attaching the .zip to your post next time I can see what the PD users had against me using RapidShare so much Although I find megaupload to be far...worse >.> ads ads ads ads hoops hoops hoops hoops nvm.

Project looks great, although as I said I haven't played it; I like teh particles They go boom. I also like how the peoplez guyz comez outez ofz them wallz therez. Did you use a spawn position/object or just make them come out at random places somehow?

H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 18:33
@Image All

Yeah, sorry about that, I tried to download the zip but then it must have timed out or something because the page didn't load So sorry about all the ads you have to go through. I use firefox with the adblock plugin so I don't see any ads

Thanks for the input! I use a map editor that I programmed to place the enemies for each level in "startegic" places, ie places that would surprise player, etc. Anyways, thanks!

When I get home (I'm at school...), I'll fix the keys and try to make a better level object, and maybe upload another beta. Until then!

-H4ck1d

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:38:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:38:31