Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Edsteroids Revisited

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 05:23 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 01:09
EDIT: FOR LATEST DEMO SEE LATEST POSTS

I fancied taking an old db classic project of mine and sticking it into DBP, So i did. I also worked on it a bit- now there is 8 directional motion instead of just plain thrust, and the camera is now angled and rotates with the ship. I also improved the graphics a bit.
I'm trying a thing whereby the camera position is dependent on your speed, so you can pay more attention to where you are going.

OK controls are wasd for 8 way thrust, arrows left and right for rotation, up arrow or spacebar for fire, and down arrow for missiles. Destroy all the asteroids as quick as you can, and post up your time when you're done.

I want to finish this, but am going to be busy again for a bit. I have an extensive to do list already, but feedback still helps. Hope you like.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 17:46
Well done, nice effects, good graphics... just a bit fast and it's hard to get used to the controls.
But even though it's funny.
Keep it up.

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2006 01:49
Thanks for playing. I do get the feeling that the time in which you, or anything else can cover a screen's distance is a bit too short, and you may as well fly using the radar instead. I'll probably tone the speed and weapons range down a bit, or maybe tilt the camera so you can see further, although this does mean you'd be liable to crash into stuff from the side.
I should also stick in a redefine keys, and a joypad option.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. Lots of potential. I really like it! I also really like the controls.

Suggestions:
*Add enemy ships. Not boring ufo things, but enemy ships with bosses and space stations and stuff.
*Don't make the missles wrap around the screen. It looks really weird with all the missles flying around really fast.
*When I played this game, it seemed very similar to this game: http://www.miniclip.com/games/real-space-2/en/. It would be really cool if it would be kind of like it, with good ships that you defend and go on full assaults on enemy bases.

I really like everything about this game, including the camera view and gun range.

Can't wait until another demo! Nice job!

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 02:23
Ta very much. I'll be bunging more enemies in as time goes on. I'll start with simple boring stuff like different types of asteroids and mines, then move onto targeting /homing things and then to enemy ships.
The collision system i'm using is very simple and limits me to smallish circular things. I plan to keep things simple and stick with that, but perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to have large static things (like space stations).
I'd love to have bosses at some point too. I found some sinistar .wavs the other day and i know what i want to use them for.
That game you linked is pretty cool. I like the idea of having allied units to help out and protect.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:03
Yep, this is playable

If you want some suggestions, don't let the missiles be infinite. Instead put the typical bonus object that you have to pick to reload, or make player go to some re-arming base.
bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
hery nice start lots of potential, one starting concernm i had was with your guided missles they wrap the screen like 3 times before disappearing.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 01:04
Thanks guys. Here's a slight update. I should really be doing other things, so don't expect more for a while.
I increased the world size and fixed the "missile wrap", doubled the number of objects, and half of them are "mines" that explode on contact. I stuck in some camera "jiggle" and some nicer textures for the ghosted objects, and a few other tweaks.
One notable thing is that i changed from having a parallax BG to not, so there is a greater sense of speed now.
I decided to do this because my ship and missiles are affected by drag that is dependent on their speed relative to the "ether", so as to limit top speed, otherwise i'd need a more complex collision detection routine. I'll keep things simple for now, and perhaps have a proper zero drag system in a sequel someday.
Anyhow enough waffling. Noone reads this stuff anyway.

Attachments

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like the update. I think the camera height should be lowered and look forward more, so I can see a greater distance, but I like everything. It seems to have more speed and energy with each shot and thrust. Good job!

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 03:19 Edited at: 9th Nov 2006 06:15
Thanks. I just tried the camera angled up a bit and it does feel nicer. The reason i'm reluctant to do it is because i had initially planned for you to be able to see about the same distance sideways as forwards, and this is the reason the ship moves to the left of the screen when you are moving right etc, but i think you're probably right.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 06:15 Edited at: 25th Nov 2006 06:20
Here's a slightly newer one. I stuck in a display mode select. If you try it, please tell me at what resolutions it runs OK.

The mines are now attracted towards the player. You can have some dubious fun "herding" them around, trying to crash them into the asteroids, or even harder, trying not to crash them into the asteroids.

Controls as before. WASD movement, left/right arrows to turn, space or up to fire, down arrow fires missiles.

The boxes on the far right represent missiles. You can fire eight missiles quickly, and once fired they recharge slowly. The bar adjecent to this is the gun temperature indicator. When this fills you cannot fire. Release fire to cool the gun.

Attachments

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 07:33
This machine is very old and I havent upgraded to DX9.0c sorry I cant run it at the moment. I will have a slightly better video card for Jan 2007 and a brand new machine to give a better test result.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice Its alot better, except that it is too dark now for me. Can you add a brightness option?

Thanks, and good job

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 00:01
Thanks for looking indi.
Cheers UFO. It is a bit dark now you come to mention it. I can't stand it when games are too dark. I have since bumped up the lights a bit, and it looks better. Next update you'll be able to see what's going on.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 04:07 Edited at: 6th Dec 2006 04:20
I attached a video so you can look at it. It's about 5 megabytes. The things now shoot back! Demo hasn't been updated recently- i'll do that when there's actually a "game" there.

I have made a couple of different level "looks" with different lighting schemes, all using two directional lights plus the ambient light. The snowy level is fairly evenly lit.

The hell-earth level has some snazzy red uplighting.

I think i'll put this on the back burner for a while again because i've loads of super important things to do.

Attachments

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, very cool.

Good job

Can't wait for demo

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 03:15
VERY GOOD MR TANK.
I had an opportunity to upgrade my machine.
Quite playable on a Pentium III 933 / 512 ram / tnt2 m64 32 meg.

responsive and swift for such a low spec machine.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 02:48 Edited at: 16th Apr 2007 06:13
Thanks guys.
Happiliy, i have some free time again.
Eagle eyed viewers will notice the dark ghosted background to the radar and status bars, so you can actually see them in the snowy level.
Also, the enemy gunships have a nice AI where they "part" from your line of fire, and creep up behind you, making them absolute b*stards to deal with in large numbers.
Also now your guns have a tracking system, and some other things. Lots still to do. Hopefully i'll post a demo by this time next week.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 16:07 Edited at: 15th Apr 2007 21:25
...(old vid removed)...

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 21:21 Edited at: 15th Apr 2007 21:29
Had some more spare time! I'll attached a demo to this post. It's 3.43 Megabytes. What do you think?

WASD, arrows left/right, up arrow or space for gun, down arrow for missiles.

Here's a screenshot

Attachments

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 01:51 Edited at: 21st Apr 2007 01:59
Woah, this game looks really cool! I'll download the demo now.

EDIT: That was pretty fun! I like how you can shoot LOTS of bullets and make LOTS of explosions lol. By the way, how did you do those explosions?

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 05:43
Thanks. The explosions are light ghosted plains- one plain per explosion. The texture changes over time, and each plain is continually rotated to face the camera.
Later i will probably change to explosions consisting of a number of plains parallel to the ground plane, to avoid the ugly effect where the explosion plane slices through the ground.
If you want more information feel free to ask.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 13:40
Ah thanks for telling me that If you want to get rid of the explosion's going through the ground effect you may be able to try DISABLE OBJECT ZDEPTH or one of the similar commands. I'm not sure how it will turn out, so if you try it please let me know!

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 15:11
Wow that was amazing! Loved the feel of it, very fast paced, explosions and guns, dude if you go all the way with this you'll have a great game. You planning on putting in missions and stuff or will this just be a sort of break time shooter?

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 05:39
You're on to something Mr Tank. Very good indeed.
May I ask how you did the radar?

Ad Astra Per Asper
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 05:53 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2007 06:01
Quote: "If you want to get rid of the explosion's going through the ground effect you may be able to try DISABLE OBJECT ZDEPTH or one of the similar commands."

I hadn't thought of that! I think that would work to a degree, but i don't want the explosions to appear to be in front of any objects nearer the camera- such as buildings and that. Nice idea though.

Quote: "Wow that was amazing! Loved the feel of it, very fast paced, explosions and guns, dude if you go all the way with this you'll have a great game. You planning on putting in missions and stuff or will this just be a sort of break time shooter?"

Thanks very much. I definitely want it to have missions, or at least a number of levels. I suppose it will be "break time shooter" as well, in that each level (or some levels) shouldn't take that long to complete, so you can play for five minutes at a time if you want.

Quote: "You're on to something Mr Tank. Very good indeed.
May I ask how you did the radar?"

Ta very much.
The radar is a lot of textured, ghosted plains locked to the camera. There is one dark ghosted circle as the backing so it can be read over bright backgrounds, and the ring with vertical and horizontal line is light ghosted. All the radar blips are very small light ghosted plains.
To get the position of the blips i used a bit of maths. I'm not sure whether this is what you wanted to know about though- if it is i can explain further.

JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 23:48
Quote: "Ta very much.
The radar is a lot of textured, ghosted plains locked to the camera. There is one dark ghosted circle as the backing so it can be read over bright backgrounds, and the ring with vertical and horizontal line is light ghosted. All the radar blips are very small light ghosted plains.
To get the position of the blips i used a bit of maths. I'm not sure whether this is what you wanted to know about though- if it is i can explain further"

Thank you, and if you find the time, a math example would help.

Ad Astra Per Asper
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 05:35
OK. I'll try and find some time to make a code snippet.
I could try explaining in words- basically you need to get the position of the other objects in the frame of the player- so you take the difference of the co-ordinates - ie enemy_x-player_x, etc, then rotate by the player's rotation- you need to use sin and cos for this (rotation matrix). It's easiest if i just make a working example.

I managed to get the terrain on the radar now, which is nice.

FORUM TOPIC
JerBil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 17:14
Thanks, Tank.
I love blasting things into smithereens, although I'm not sure what a smither is.

Ad Astra Per Asper
ozmoz
Years of Service
User Offline
This game is very nice thanks
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 01:05 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 01:15
Thanks very much guys.

I'm attatching a new demo now. (see bottom of this post) Zip format, 3.51 Mb. Will post 7zip in next post (about half the size)

Quite a few improvements have been made since the last version. Runs significantly faster and smoother than before. Has a menu, three levels, and you can win and lose. Comparing this to the last demo posted 3 months ago, i think a new one is warranted.

Level 1 should be really easy. Get a feel of your spaceship before you try levels 2 and 3 and get blown to pieces.

Hints:
1) to avoid enemy fire, particularly from the turrets, try swaying side to side. The enemy guns have a simple predictive algorithm, and are quite accurate if you maintain a constant velocity.
2) The enemy gunships have short range guns. Pick them off from a distance. Also beware of them creeping up behind you.

Please hold "1" during gameplay, see what the framerate is and tell me.

If you want to see my "To Do" list, go to http://www.geocities.com/superwebsite22g/superbadass.html

PS:
Undocumented controls:
shift: show game speed information
numeric 7,4,8,5: mess about with camera
delete: take screenshot

Jerbil- I'd forgotten about doing that snippet. Will try to get on that ASAP. I don't know what a smither is either.

FORUM TOPIC

Attachments

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 01:11
Here's the same again but in .7z archive. 1.84 Mb

FORUM TOPIC

Attachments

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 06:09 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 06:09
Hi there. I'm still working on this inbetween jobhunting and stuff.

There's a bug in the above demos that caused demo to run too fast on fast computers, so i'd recommend you don't download. Has been fixed since.

Quite a few cool other new things have been added. Splash damage from explosions means you can set off chain reactions. Check out this vid- especially at the end:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XvNbsINnzcM

Another cool thing i've added is a record/replay function. Hopefully i'll have put in some more stuff by the end of the week and i'll post up a demo.

FORUM TOPIC
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Neat game, fun and action packed. The controls were solid and easy to figure out. It still needs more enemies, some mission objectives, and some cool bosses.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 05:48
Thanks Jimpo. Glad you like the controls, as i thought they might have been a bit complex.
I should have addressed some of the things you listed by next update. Cheers.

FORUM TOPIC
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 05:56
Whoa. That's a fun little addictive game . Will play more between my Rayhound and Evochron sessions for sure .

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 03:45
Thanks tha_rami. The game will be a little less little soon.

FORUM TOPIC
Micophone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 04:53
Addictive stuff, now this is how games are made!

@ Jerbil: Smither is described as fragments, atoms etc. So destroying things into smithers is destroying them into fragments of matter.

Mico
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 06:35
Thanks Micophone. I'm addicted to playtesting it.
Ah i remembered i still have to do that radar snippet. Is Jerbil still around? I'll get on that tommorow hopefully. Just as well i forgot because recently i figured a simpler way to do it. All will be revealed...

FORUM TOPIC
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 19:43
Jerbil: here's a snippet showing how i did the radar. Sorry it took so long.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115028&b=6

FORUM TOPIC
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 04:29 Edited at: 29th Nov 2007 04:30
Just stopping by to inform you all i'm not dead. Still hoping to release a playable thing soonish. It's better than it was, but there are loose ends to tidy up, media to make, and, well, loads of stuff really. The longer it takes the better it will be.

Cool stuff that is done:

clearer, smoother graphics
correct aspect ratio - so it looks the same on 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 monitors
Collectable ammo/energy
More enemy types
Gameplay recording/playback

And a bunch of other stuff. A screenshot.

FORUM TOPIC

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 14:43:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 14:43:28