Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Lawn Mower Joe

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 23:45 Edited at: 26th Oct 2006 23:49
Lawn Mower Joe and the Invasion of the Killer Groundhogs

Killer groundhogs have invaded the yards of innocent citizens. Lawn Mower Joe is the only one who can stop them.

He must defeat the furry invaders, armed only with his lawn mower.

Screens.

So far only a few of those graphics are final...

right now i'm working trying to find, or make, a decent particle system for flinging bits of grass off to the sides while you mow.

I have a lot of ideas for this game, but i won't reveal them all now (partly because i don't know which ones will actually make it in ) eventually the basic jist of the game will be to run over enough groundhogs to scare them into running away (digging holes and going back underground where they came from). but while you are doing this some of them will be trying to break out of the fence, and if they make it outside then you lose.

For now though you can just move around the lawn mower (which will eventually have a guy riding it) and watch as the grass gets mowed, and re-grows.

demo attached 2.45 MBs

"We make the worst games in the universe..."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 23:50 Edited at: 26th Oct 2006 23:50
Hmm reminds me of that lawn mower snake entry from that 2004 compo. That is a good thing since that's one of my favorite DB games of all time.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 00:36 Edited at: 27th Oct 2006 00:36
Quote: "Hmm reminds me of that lawn mower snake entry from that 2004 compo"

haha, i remember that one to , but believe it or not, i had the idea for this game before i saw that one.

also, in-case anyone was wondering, that lawnmower texture is extremely placeholder

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 00:58
I hope you have a lot of great plans for this game. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun and the best of luck to you.

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 01:03
Oh no!! A lawnmower simulator! There used to be dozens of reader-made lawnmower simulators on the Spectrum - no idea why, it just became a bit of a running joke. One of them you just started it up and it kept going until it hit a stone - at which point it was 'game' over. No controls or anything. Bonkers.

Yours sounds like it'll be much more fun

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 17:01 Edited at: 31st Oct 2006 17:01
@Antidote- Thanks!

@Tinkergirl- haha, unfortunately i'm too young for the spectrum to be in my history... i hope to make my game funner then that, but we'll see

I modelled the hog, and got a good start on it's texture. I'm going to add the animations as i need them.

Really cute eh?

Boy he fooled you.

Wireframe.

All in all he's a modest 388 polygons...

he doesn't need to be very high poly because this is the size he takes up in-game...

not much (which means you can't really see the beautifuly nasty teeth ) part of the work i'll do on the texture will be making it look good in-game... so he could change looks completely, but the shape should stay about the same.

I've also done some work on the lawnmower texture, and added in a speedy grass debris system (it only takes out maybe 5 fps out of 120 fps. all the other methods i tried took me down to 40 fps ) but i'm waiting to show those with a demo, which could be anywhere from 2 to 10 days away

--Peter

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 21:44
I can't wait to see a hundred of those guys running around the screen!

Looks like it could be another addicting game that could take up countless hours, way to go Peter H!

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 22:54 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2006 23:03
Thanks!
Quote: "I can't wait to see a hundred of those guys running around the screen!"

Your wish is my command heheh, except not quite a hundred of them (there never will be that many in the game )

I've spent about 7 hours
on the Hog "AI" and collision.

Attached is a 3MB demo of the Hog ai so far, it has 14 hogs running around (i think ). If it seems like they are running into each other alot, it's because they are, they won't be wandering around so much in the final game (because some of them will be attacking the fence trying to escape) they don't collide with the lawnmower yet, so don't panic if you see a hog walk right through you

again, controls are Arrowkeys, or WASD. (i prefer the arrow keys)

I threw in a very rough draft of the menu system as well. and did a tiny bit of work on the lawn mower texture.

oh, and the hogs have a simple animation to

[edit] oh! i almost forgot! the lawnmower also throws pieces of grass off to the sides as you mow, eventually this system will also be used for ... erm... hog remains..

--Peter

Attachments

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 05:25
WooHoo! Can't wait until the hog guts start flying...

Oh, and as I said to you, you need to add agent hogs with Sunglasses and chainsaws or other melee weapons.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 20:10
Something like this, except with Chainsaws:

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 21:05
Lol, have a special bonus super secret deluxe platinum edition stage where it's all in bullet time and your fighting agent "smith" hogs!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 00:12 Edited at: 4th Nov 2006 00:14
hehe, well, let's just say that sunglasses and melee weapons are a very big possibility, but we'll see how far i get

I added in hog collision with the lawnmower (if you are sitting still they turn around when they hit you) and hog "mulching" (I.E. Chop chop, splat )

here's a pic of the gore! (looks alot better in-game, like a constant stream instead of broken apart like that, but you'll have to wait for a demo)

(note: the brown stuff is "fur"... sort of... but you can't really tell that there are such huge blobs in-game because it goes so fast)

and for the tender of heart there will be an option to turn off the gore... which will mean you get this!

(the flowers fly in every direction, and looks really funny in-game )

the JPG format murdered those images

--Peter

"One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs."
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 01:41 Edited at: 4th Nov 2006 03:39
Lol that's like in serious sam. If you turn gore off you get flowers instead!

Now if only someone would post on my demo...[sigh]

rabid rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
To stop JPEG from murdering images, use Irfanview, http://www.irfanview.com and save with jpeg quality 100%

Watch out, this bunny bites...
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 16:59
Reminds me a bit of snow plough for the BBC Master.

I lay upon my bed one bright clear night, and gazed upon the distant stars far above, then I thought... where the hell is my roof?
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 02:45
Quote: "
I added in hog collision with the lawnmower (if you are sitting still they turn around when they hit you) and hog "mulching" (I.E. Chop chop, splat )"

Sorry, but I couldnt make sense of this?

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 03:01
When the lawnmower is sitting still the hogs wont walk through you, they'll hit the lawnmower and turn around, and the hog "mulching" is a blood effect when you run over the hogs.

Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 05:35
You should have the character be a Redneck in overalls, with buck-teeth, drool everywhere, riding his tricked out "Jonny Buck" lawnmower jammin to hillbilly contry while yelling out, "God dang varmets!! I'll get ya sonshabichs!"

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 17:26
I second that statement

Javaguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 17:38
er, I third that. Sounds funny

The game looks very nice, I shall have to get moving on mine

A Black And White style Paradise Sim. Check it out in the Nvidia Forums
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 23:02
Now I understand, thanks Antidote.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 19:12
Thanks for the comments all!

I've been swamped with reading the Count of Monte Cristo for school lately, (unabridged, my version was 1095 pages long) and my internet was down yesterday. I finished the book however, so i should be able to make some reasonable progress on the game in the next couple days...

Quote: "Lol that's like in serious sam. If you turn gore off you get flowers instead!"

hehe, actually yeah, that's where i got the idea from

Quote: "You should have the character be a Redneck in overalls, with buck-teeth...etc"

yep, that's basically what i'm going to do, except without the drooling and language

--Peter

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 16:46 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 20:28
Ok, i decided it's about time for an update, since the one month mark is tomorrow! (my birthday is the day after that w00t!)

A hog that has jumped on the front of the lawnmower and is beating it with its fist

Hogs in the corner are wearing down the fence, trying to escape.

Teh video!

I've uploaded a video to demonstrate where i'm at, it's 4.63 Mbs. Fraps took it down to about 40 FPS, when it is usually 105+ FPS.

Things to look for in the video!
Obviously the hogs jumping on the lawn mower! To get them off i run into the fence, and they just dissapear. They will of course eventually dissapear in a shower of gore/flowers.
The hogs attacking the fence!
I switch to normal gore for the very last hog i run over, (i have hot keys rigged right now, but it's going to be a menu option)
The blade spinning underneath the lawnmower

Also, although you can't see it in the video (i haven't made it obvious enough in the game yet) I've made it so that when you run over a hog you make other hogs angry. that's why you have those hogs jumping on you, the non-angry hogs don't attack you or jump on you. (the non-angry hogs either wander around or attack the fence)

Right now their eyes just turn red, but i eventually want them to glow if i can

You might also notice that it didn't take me very long to kill all the hogs! In the game more hogs will be coming out of the ground as you kill the ones above ground. So it will be like an un-ending supply of them, and you have to worry about being beat to death, or the hogs escaping, all while trying to kill enough to win the level.

[edit] if it doesn't work, tell me and i'll upload a different file format

--Peter

Attachments

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Neat! This game looks really cool and fun. I have absolutely no clue how you got the idea for this game. I don't want to be anywhere near you when you're mowing the lawn

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 02:58 Edited at: 17th Nov 2006 21:55
Looks nice! I like how the grass grows back.

P.S. Adding shaders would give you bonus points and a hilarious game!

Tutorials:
Array
Functions
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 03:40
Wow Peter H, this entry looks really nice. The rest of us are trying to get something visible ready and you have a very nice looking game. I can't wait to see how this one looks a few months from now.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 17:41 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 17:43
@UFO- thanks haha, i think i actually thought of this game while i was mowing... (i used to mow alot to get money )

@Sixty Squares- i am definitely planning on adding some shaders... (for instance, some glowing red eyes for the mad hogs)

@Zedane- Thanks! I am certainly trying my best to discipline myself and work on this game even when i don't want to (it's fun to work on it half the time, but when i run across a nasty bug it can put me off real fast)

Lately i've been rewriting a bunch of the hog engine, especially the collision parts. So there's not a whole lot of new visual candy, however i have added a little animation sequence of the hogs coming out of the ground. (it looks a lot better in motion, but ya'll will have to wait for a video or demo)

Here's what it looks like at first, a black crack that grows from the center.

Then some dirt/grass flies out and the hog emerges. (i got a screen of them in various levels of emergence)

The hole then fades away after a second or two.

Now that i can make hogs emerge at command, i have it set up so that every time you kill a hog another comes to take it's place. This results in a fast paced arcade type action that i've been going for, hogs are constantly coming out of the ground it seems. The goal will be to kill a certain number of hogs
(you probably won't know that actual number, there will be a "Hog-o-meter" at the top of the screen that shows how much of the goal you've accomplished) and then once you reach the goal all the alive hogs will dig holes and run away. (TO the next level! )

i must admit i derive ridiculous amounts of pleasure from sitting on top of a hole while the hog is emerging, and choppin them up before they even have a chance

of course you can't be on all the holes at once though.

--Peter

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 18:19
lookin good. i bet this is going to be an addictive game

forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=91115&b=32
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 00:02
Lookin good.

ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 03:00 Edited at: 26th Nov 2006 03:06
Sweet. This is gonna be a good one, so long as the shaders and textures are added.

EDIT: Hey, in the first shot there's a hog OUTSIDE the fence?
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 16:02
Lol, it looks like the point of the game is more to kill the hog things than to mow the lawn. great looking game though so far.

Take heed, never take advantage of the things you need, never let your self be overcome by greed. Walk a strigh line, pick up your speed and try. Everyone deserves a piece of the pie By: Shaggy
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 23:47 Edited at: 27th Nov 2006 23:47
Thanks all for the nice comments!

Quote: "Hey, in the first shot there's a hog OUTSIDE the fence?"

You are very right!

That was a bug in the hog collision when i made that screen, actually there were even worse bugs in the collision that i didn't show in the screen (like hogs actually walking right through a fence )

but i fixed all the collision bugs today. I ran the game for about 5 minutes watching closely to see if there were any more and i think that there aren't. (in the process i made my code a lot shorter which is odd ) I purposely made that test level in such a way that it tests all kinds of collision with the fences. that way I'm not nastily surprised later on when I'm making levels

Quote: "Lol, it looks like the point of the game is more to kill the hog things than to mow the lawn"

haha, yep. the grass mowing is just kind of a visual side thing, definitely not the main point

--Peter

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 00:16
Very nice Peter. I would like to see a guy on the lawn mower and why make the hogs completely defenseless the ground hogs should be able to attack the guy on the mower Rabies, hog bit, random effects on the player

Rabies should screw with the mowers steering

Load Programmer "Crazy Programmer",1
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 01:33
And they should be able to bite the tires and make the mower move all crazy and stuff.

Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 09:46 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 19:05
I can't wait to run over these little buggers. Worked smoothly on my computer.

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 09:58
Can't play the video

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 15:08 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 15:10
@Flashing Blade- I uploaded the movie with this post in .mov format (QuickTime or iTunes) link

Quote: "I would like to see a guy on the lawn mower and why make the hogs completely defenseless the ground hogs should be able to attack the guy on the mower Rabies, hog bit, random effects on the player"

Yep, i am planning on making a farmer guy to go on the lawnmower. As for the hogs, well they already attack the lawnmower (by jumping on and punching it). I don't know about rabies, though i think i might give them chainsaws in later levels if i get the time..

--Peter

Attachments

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 12:01
Quote: "I uploaded the movie with this post in .mov format"

Thanks.

Looks fun.

Oh the irony of your name.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 14:23
Quote: "@Sixty Squares- i am definitely planning on adding some shaders... (for instance, some glowing red eyes for the mad hogs)
"

How's that coming along?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 15:12
Ha! That looked pretty cool! Actually, the only thing I can suggest aside from some better lawn mower textures right now is that you make the turning smoother. It wouldn't even have to effect the gameplay, the lawnmower could turn very quickly but still move as through it changed directions instantly.

I really liked it when the mad hogs started attacking. Very nice.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 15:50 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 16:22
I'm going to christen the new page before someone else does!

I have been bogged down with finals lately, but I'm done now. So i can finally get back to work on this.

I've added in "squishing". When you have a hog on the front of the lawnmower you can run it into a fence and gore/flowers will fly out the sides. OOORRRr... if there is a hog scratching at the fence, you can run into them and they will go splat

Sideways-

At the top-

Quote: "Actually, the only thing I can suggest aside from some better lawn mower textures right now is that you make the turning smoother. It wouldn't even have to effect the gameplay, the lawnmower could turn very quickly but still move as through it changed directions instantly."

o_O I will definitely try that out and see how it works. I would have to change some core code because i use the angle of the lawnmower to check which direction the player is facing, but that wouldn't be hard. Oh, and i can assure you the only thing finished about the lawnmower texture is the tread on the wheels, and the exhaust pipe

There is another thing i just happened to squeeze out during finals ... I modeled lawn mower joe! (and stuck him on the lawnmower of course) he just needs a decent texture before he makes an appearance

--Peter

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 21:35 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 21:37
It looks really good, it just needs some minor graphical polishing.
Great work!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 23:32 Edited at: 9th Jan 2007 23:35
Ok, Christmas break out of the way I'm starting to make progress again (i can never get much done during breaks heh)

Most of the progress today was menu coding, adding support for multiple levels, and debugging cleanup code so that i can go from one level to the next.

Screen shots:

Thanks to Green Gandalf i was able to apply a red "glowy" shader to the hogs when they are mad (which you will notice in the screen shots)

I also gave Lawn Mower Joe a placeholder texture over Christmas break (which you will also have seen in the screen shots)

You might also notice I'm maintaining a healthy 80ish FPS. Which I'm happy with, because i really want to keep this game playable.

demo

I am going to release a playable demo of the game for feedback by the 16th (one month away from deadline). There's a possibility that I'll release it sooner, but if not than you can expect it by that date!

--Peter

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 23:42
Cool, glad to see you're working again. I think this game will be a lot of fun when it's finished and I can't wait to grind up some groundhogs .

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 14:06
Awesomeness Peter! this looks like a very good competitor for the compo.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 23:56 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 23:57
Thank you both for the positive comments, and antidote you'll get to grind groundhogs to your hearts content come Tuesday lol.

Dynamite.

and yes, it explodes (bouncing your lawnmower into the air some)

If you run a dynamite hog into a fence it damages the fence (and you a little bit, but not as much as if it's underneath you)

I am not planning to add dynamite hogs after the first couple levels, not right away.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 00:52
That explosion looks fun.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 00:56 Edited at: 13th Jan 2007 00:57
I don't think Mrs Scraggle would permit me to play this game whilst she was around. Groundhogs are too cute to blow up with dynamite or mince with a lawn mower

She would be happy if they were giraffes, she seems to think they are evil But you don't get many ground burrowing giraffes in your average garden.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 01:36
Quote: "Groundhogs are too cute to blow up with dynamite or mince with a lawn mower"

lol, even on flower mode?

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 03:50
Wow this game looks so much better since i last looked! And it looked fun to start with!

I'm not too big on graphics for this kind of game but those black holes don't quite fit in. Maybe replace them with a simple texture?

Whatever you do, make sure you release that demo! This will be great time sink for I'm supposed to be working on Tauru
*Hopes Cian Rice doesn't read this*

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:26:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:26:59