Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Headcrab53's Entry - Section A (DBPro)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 01:39 Edited at: 30th Nov 2006 01:39
Section A

Story
The game takes place in the year 2189. Humans have established colonies on other planets in the solar system, and the moons of some planets that are uninhabitable. Since 2187, Earth and Mars have been engaged in a war over natural resources - Mars having a surplus in fuel and water, and Earth struggling to survive on dwindling resources.

Earth’s allies have been supplying the planet with supplies that they can no longer produce on their own. One of these allies is a moon of Saturn, Titan. A cargo ship was recently sent to Titan to pickup war materials and return them to Earth. The ship's usual crew of three was, just as it had been for the past two years, accompanied by three soldiers from Earth’s military, to protect the crew, ship, and cargo if they were attacked.

After arriving at a loading dock at Titan, one of the soldiers noticed two workers talking. One of them was pointing at the cargo ship, and there was a look of terror on the other. Other workers were loading crates onto the ship. The soldier saw four more workers emerge from a door labeled with a “Bio-hazard” sign, carrying a large, wooden box. The two workers the soldier had seen talking were following them, arguing.

The captain of the ship and another working at the loading dock were arguing, their voices indistinct to the soldier. The worker gestured back to the ship, and then at the air lock aggressively. The captain slumped a little bit and returned to the ship. A red warning light blinked, all of the ships doors locked, and everybody in the loading dock moved to their nearest exit. The air was removed from the loading dock and the air lock doors opened. The ship slowly flew upwards out of the loading dock, and began their return to Earth.

Just before the cargo ship returned to Earth, it had a small mechanical error, and jolted to a halt. The soldier glanced out of a nearby window, and looked in the direction of a nearby space station. His expression turned to terror, as he noticed the space stations weapons preparing to fire.

“Captain! The space station is about to fire on us!” he yelled.

The captain turned to look at the space station. He picked up the microphone, pressed a few buttons on a console, and began to speak. “Hold your fire! You are about to fire on an allied ship.”

Everyone on board the cargo ship watched, silently.

The captain raised the microphone back to his face. “You are about to fire on an allied ship. Hold your fire!”

Just then, the cargo ship jolted back to life, and moved out of the way just as the space station fired a bolt of plasma straight towards it. The captain tried to get the ship away from the station as fast as possible. The space station shot again. This time, a bolt of plasma cut through the ship, and burnt off half of it. Two people were in the part of the ship that was destroyed. Every one else held on as the air was sucked out into the vaccumm of space. The captain saw an open launch bay door on the space station, and knew it was their only chance. He steered the ship towards it. The ship jolted to the right, and crashed into the space station. The right side of the ship was destroyed. The captain, navigator and soldier held on to what little of the ship remained.

Out of the corner of his eye the soldier saw the box that had emerged from the door marked “Bio-hazard” emitting a bright, green glow.

Just then, the ship slammed into the floor of the space stations launch bay. Everyone left on board the ship except the solder were killed on impact. The soldier was soon unconscious.

Later, the soldier regained consciousness, and heard the sound of the radio. He stumbled to the cockpit and talked into the radio. He noticed that the radio was damaged, and could no longer transmit. He listened for the sound again. It was a voice, one that he recognized. “We have received a report on Space Station 471A firing on your ship. If any crew members are alive, send a transmission as soon as possible. If any military personnel are alive, look for signs of enemies or traitors, and take proper action.”

The soldier took the nearest weapon he could find, and stepped out of the ship. Luckily, the launch bay doors had closed earlier. He saw the wooden box, still intact, on the floor. He began to walk over to it, when the lights suddenly went out. He reached for his flashlight, but the lights turned back on before he could get to it. The wooden box was gone.

The soldier knew that something had gone wrong on the space station, and that the glowing, wooden box had something to do with it. With the ship destroyed and the rest of the crew dead, it was up to him to find out what was going on.

A bit about the game
This is a horror first person shooter. The enemies will be along the lines of monsters and zombies. The game is entirely lit by pixel shaders, which will make it easy to make flickering lights, blackouts and bright flashes to add to the horror aspect. I’m also using Newton for physics.

Screen shots
I don’t have much to show yet, but here is the launch bay (although empty in these screen shots). I’ll be adding a lot of equipment, such as consoles, later.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got some more screen shots!

Hallway:

Close-up of the floor:

Another room:

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 03:13
Doesn't look too bad

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 04:56
Nice work!

Opposites are different, not wrong
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 16:09
How did you get the normal map to line up with the textures? Is that a .X level and you applied the shaders somehow to each limb, or are all those db cubes and you used regular commands to apply the shaders?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 16:24
Looks good! I hope it turns out as great (or better) than Nuclear Winter is so far.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is that a .X level and you applied the shaders somehow to each limb, or are all those db cubes and you used regular commands to apply the shaders?"

There is a seperate .DBO file for each texture. When they're loaded, I use texture object to add the normal map and height map.

Here's my todo list right now:

1) Finish modeling and texturing the first map
2) Add lens flare and the bloom shader
3) Add doors and windows
4) Create objects that will be placed in the map and controled by the pyhsics engine (such as crates, consoles, computers, etc.) including debris and what's left intact of the space ship you were in
5) Create the weapons
6) Create the HUD
7) Create the enemies and AI
8) Add the horror elements to the game
9) Add the quick save and quick load features
10) Create the menu

At that point I'll have a fully playable game, but I'll still add more levels (as many as I have time for)
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I've done some more work on the first level. I've added another hallway and modified some of the lights from earlier.

Hallway:

Here is the layout of the map so far:

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 01:07
looks decent, almost reminds me of halo, though the textures need some work, they don't match very well. The seams all look very harsh. Maybe use a few less color/texture changes.

I can't make heads or tails of the birds eye map but it looks big!

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 02:36 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 02:38
Mmmmm, pretty shaders.... But I agree with Peter H. The texture differences are way too high. Kinda feels like a super Chuck E Cheese playhut. I think it's really just that blue. If that becomes a little duller it wont be so harsh on the eyes and will fit better.

Random fact of the day!
Noland Bushnell (the creator of Pong) quit from Atari after they had sold out to Warner Comm. Because Warner Comm didn't want any competition in the video game industry they had made Bushnell sign a contract saying that if he quit he couldn't become competition to them. This lead to the end of his career making games, but, he later went on to create a series of children's toys and then Chuck E Cheese's.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 04:15
I agree, drop the blue and you'd have a better looking level

NOW SHOW ME A SHOTGUN!

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll keep the blue for variety, but I'll make it much duller so it doesn't feel like a "super Chuck E Cheese playhut" as Antidote put it.

Quote: "I can't make heads or tails of the birds eye map but it looks big!"

The large rectangle on the lower left is actually the first room thats shown in the screen shots, so at the moment the map isn't very big.

Quote: "NOW SHOW ME A SHOTGUN!"

I have to do all of this first:

Quote: "1) Finish modeling and texturing the first map
2) Add lens flare and the bloom shader
3) Add doors and windows
4) Create objects that will be placed in the map and controled by the pyhsics engine (such as crates, consoles, computers, etc.)"

And you'll see the shotgun here:

Quote: "5) Create the weapons "

So Airslide, you should be seing that shotgun in about 1-2 weeks (Probably next weekend). Once I get that far I'll even upload a demo.

I'll try to get the lens flare and bloom shader working today. I can definately finish modeling the first map this weekend. Adding doors and windows should be doable in one day. I should be able to finish the models for pyhsics in 2 - 3 days. Then I'll start the weapons. The shotgun is the fourth one that needs to be made.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 15:57
You know, at certain times when I'm on the forums, I'll get obbsessions over specific weapons that I really want to see or have someone make - like the P90 in the FPSC board

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
It's my lunch hour right now. I made three more textures for the blue wall. I'd like to know which one everybody likes the most.

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 17:48
Number 1 with some scuffs, scratches and dirt added.

Nice looking level. Are you going to lightmap it?

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 21:18
Number 3 with some dirt and scratches.

Looks great btw, I love the floor shader.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 22:01
1, but on all three the indents in the metal look... noisy.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
So far...

2 VOTES for NUMBER 1
1 VOTE for NUMBER 3

Quote: "Nice looking level. Are you going to lightmap it?"

Since I need the lights to be able to flicker constantly, the level probably won't be lightmapped, just lit using shaders. Although, I might add some shadows using lightmaps, I haven't decided yet.

Quote: "I love the floor shader."

In fact, the whole world uses the same shader as the floor.

Quote: "but on all three the indents in the metal look... noisy."

I'll have to make some adjustments to fix that. They don't look noisy if you're far away or really close. I think adjusting the mip mapping would do the trick.

I added lens flare and a bloom shader. Here is a screen shot without the bloom:

Here is a screen shot with the bloom:

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 01:52
Number 3, but with dirt and scratches or something to make it less clean looking.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 11:12
3 , nice level

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so I've worked some more on the first map, and added scratches to the new wall texture. Here are some screen shots of it:

I think I'll keep number 1 and 2 as well and use them all at different times.

I've also increased the performance quite a bit. Instead of using a different object for each texture, I've switched to using a different limb for each texture. All of the limbs are saved as one .DBO object. I also converted all of the .BMP textures to .PNG. I also only have three sections of the level being displayed at once. This way the sections you can't see are excluded. The frame rate is about twice what it was before.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 18:05
looks quite a bit better, though the normal map still is a little granulated.

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 19:11
Assuming the large indents are from the normal map, I agree with Peter, they look a bit - weird. Anyways, good work!

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the noise around the large indents are caused by the parallax shader. I'll see what I can do about it. I've made another room, with a ramp leading up to a higher floor. There's another hallway after that that leads to a vent. You have to crawl through the vent to get to the next room (shown in the screen shot). I've made a new wall texture for it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 23:37 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 23:38
No.3

This looks pretty cool dude, nice use of Normal/Bump maps, I can see myself enjoying this. Sort of like a Doom 3 environment, but someone remembered to change the light bulbs

[edit]
Reading the brief, it seems even more like Doom 3

"Cut down the gods if they stand in your way" - Hakamoto Tsunetomo
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 02:18
How do you do that cool lighting anyway?

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I'm back to work now! I've made more of the first map. Here's a screen shot of the next room:

Quote: "Sort of like a Doom 3 environment, but someone remembered to change the light bulbs"

Yes, it does look quite bright at the start, but that doesn't last long. I'll also be making alot of the lights flicker on and off.

Quote: "How do you do that cool lighting anyway?"

For the lighting I'm using Evolved's Parallax Mapping Shader.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 17:08
That last screen looks incredibly creepy! Nice work!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 18:08
Ah, the parallax mapping, I'm going to check that out (I was looking through it with the wrong word in mind)

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 18:17 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 18:18
I had a few things to do that didn't involve Section A, but I'm back now and have a screenshot of the next hallway. This hallway is wider and higher than the other hallways so far.

After this, I'm planning on adding a room full of cubicles, and another hallway that leads to a medium sized room with a desk. Then a bathroom. From there you'll have to crawl through a vent to the last room in this map.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 19:00
With that lighting, it feels some much more doom like, cool stuff.

"Cut down the gods if they stand in your way" - Hakamoto Tsunetomo
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I finished modeling and texturing the first map on Sunday like I thought I would, but I didn't get as much done yesturday as I wanted to, just the windows and the launch bay door. I've uploaded a video showing them.

Refraction - High Quality (8.37 MB)

Refraction - Low Quality (2.70 MB)

And some screen shots:

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 00:02
Looking good.

I got a feeling that some of these entries are gonna make me realise how old my PC is getting.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 01:05
Unless I can get that juicy new video board I'm looking at after christmas, I'm screwed (Shader Wise)

The shaders really add to the look headcrab, good work. Now if I can just get some damn shaders to work in my game...

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW! It's been a while since I posted. Over a month. I've still been making progress, and to show that without giving away anything scary about the game (which is quite hard to do), here's a picture of the pistol while reloading.

Quote: "I got a feeling that some of these entries are gonna make me realise how old my PC is getting"

Quite possibly. How old is it? Mine is 2 years old and it's slowing down quite a bit for parts of this game. But lowering the settings should help alot. I've kept the settings all on high (which my PC definately can't run well on recent games)

Quote: "Unless I can get that juicy new video board I'm looking at after christmas, I'm screwed "

Did you get that "juicy new video board" yet?

The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow looks really cool! The shaders definetly add to the feel of the game. keep up the good work!

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 22:33
Please post your best in game images to the TGC Gallery.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=gallery_upload

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 00:14
Quote: "Did you get that "juicy new video board" yet?"

Yup PNY Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS w/512MB - my old one was a 5200 with 128mb. This is such a good leap that I couldn't beleive how smooth Doom 3, Quake 4, BF2142 and FEAR were playing when I first tryed them out on the new setup. Could have something to do with the fact I now have 2GB of ram though....

Anyways, good luck! My entry seems to be dying, but oh well. Up to this point I've tried to make entires for 15 or 16 diffrent contests and haven't actually gotten one submitted for any of them

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 23:15 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 23:58
Bad news. I don't think I'll be continuing with this competition. Newton keeps on crashing unless I take out the shaders. The only way would be to switch to a different physics engine, but there just isn't enough time for me to learn a new one and still finish on time. I've searched alot of forums and tried alot of things, but I couldn't find a way to fix it. I did find someone on the Newton forum that's having the same problem, but they haven't received any answers yet.

Maybe I'll finish this game someday...
Maybe not.

But for now I think I need a break from shaders everwhere, on everything and everyone. It's stressful for me AND my PC.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I could probably use a break from darkened hallways and mutant enemies, too.

EDIT:
Actually, I think I'll stick with the dark indoor scences and mutant enemies. They're so much easier to make. For me anyway.

EDIT:
Actually, at this point, I have NO IDEA what to do next... I'll think of something.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2007 00:22
That sucks. DarkPhysics works good for me, and it is well worth the investment, especially with the new lisence coming with the next version (no need to go and get a commercial licese, it's now/going to be included)

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That sucks."

Yeah

Quote: "DarkPhysics works good for me, and it is well worth the investment, especially with the new lisence coming with the next version (no need to go and get a commercial licese, it's now/going to be included)"

I'll definately look into it. But for now, keep an eye out for my new game on the regular WIP board. It should be there soon.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 19:58
I think you should do some smoothing on the walking and strafing; it looks a little robotic in that refraction video, and detracts from the feel. Some extremely gentle smoothing on the mouse movement would more than likely help, too.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:34:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:34:59