Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Mini IDE For DB Classic

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 04:57 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 18:52
[Edit] For anyone joining this thread late, this is a replacement Windows-based IDE for DB Classic and can be used instead of the clunky, non-standard built-in editor. Due to the additional features (present and planned), it might also be worth taking a look if you use another Windows-based IDE already - such as DarkEdit.

All of the download links in this thread point to the same zip file, so whichever one you use you will download the latest version.

The current version implements a project system very similar to the DBPro IDE.

DB MiniIDE For DB Classic

There are a fair few alternative IDE's for DB - many which have lots of nice bells and whistles - many of which work with Classic as well as Pro.

I want a vanilla IDE which just does the basic stuff I need. I also want it to be small and fast.

The results so far is the Mini IDE for DB Classic...

At only 380K it's small and it's also quite nippy too.

At the moment, you can load/create/save files, syntax check, run, make exe and build final.

It has a split screen so you can view two sections of the same file and copy/paste between them.

It also has a useful 'project feature' similar to DBPro but it's not fully implemented yet. At the moment it only has the #Include file option working:

Rather than use lines of #Includes at the start of your program, use the button to add them and they will appear in the Current Source drop-down box allowing you to switch between them at will.

It also (to the best of my knowledge) highlights the correct line when there's a run-time error, although it needs a bit more testing and at the moment this does not include errors in #Include files.

As it's an early WIP, beware. Use at your own risk - preferably on copies of your projects in case it goes belly up!

Download: http://www.computechtenerife.com/dbminiide.zip (373K)

[Edit] Oops - forgot to tell you what to do with it...

1. Create a folder in the Dark Basic SoftwareDark Basic folder (called whatever you like).

2. Unzip the zip into it.

3. Create a desktop icon.

4. Run it!

TDK_Man

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 05:19
Looks cool TDK. Can I ask what you're using for your syntax control? It looks like the syntax highlighting could use a bit more polishing. It looks like you just set every word of all the DB keywords as a keyword (for example, "sphere" highlights, even though in and of itself it's not a keyword.) If you're using Synedit, you're more than welcome to use the highlighting code that CodeSurge uses to get the DB(P) style of keywords to highlight properly.

Anyway, I rarely use DB(P) anymore, but this looks like it could be a nice tool for DBC developers to have. I like your idea of a simple to use, snappy IDE. Make the core features solid and fast before adding anything else is my motto.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 09:46
I remember a while ago you were making a really good looking IDE. Is this a continuation of it, a remaking, or just something completelly different? Looks good none-the-less

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 10:44
Quote: "I remember a while ago you were making a really good looking IDE. Is this a continuation of it, a remaking, or just something completelly different? Looks good none-the-less
"

I was thinking the same thing.

Well done anyway

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 23:53
No - it's a re-write from scratch.

I discovered a flaw in the basic design of the original which prevented me from implementing a feature and it was easier to start again.

At the time there were quite a few very good alternatives appearing and adding yet another wouldn't have been a good idea.

Instead I decided to write the IDE that I would use - coming to the decision that what I really wanted was a very basic, no frills IDE that was easy to use. So that's what I started.

But, with the basic core done properly this time around, there's no reason bells and whistles couldn't be added later.

TDK_Man

Soroki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 20:51
Very nice IDE TDK! I am downloading now. Keep up the nice work!

P.S. Sorry for the late response. Haven't seen this post until today.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 05:09
Just a quick update:

I've now got the project side of things working - just needs a lot of testing.

TDK_Man

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 09:02
this is great TDK,
I have allways wanted to include files (not using #include, but include them the way dbpro does) in dbc.
I've tried to implement it into my own IDE one time, but i never figured it out.

If all works well in the end with your IDE i will make sure I use it myself. it will make my DBC Projects a lot easier to handle

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 13:06 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 13:08
That's one of the few things that worked first time - without teething problems!

I too liked the idea but took it a stage further, though it's not clear from the screenshot what actually happens...

You have a single window (splittable if required) and when you load a DBA file it checks for an accompanying DBP file. If it finds one it loads up the project settings.

If any #Includes are used, they are added to the drop-down allowing you to instantly switch between the main source file and the Include files at any time. You simply select them and they appear in the current window so you can edit or add to them.

When you run/compile and a run-time error is found in the Include file, the window switches to the Include file and highlights the faulty line.

And, although the Set Display Mode command is used in the example code above, the project settings for the display are already working so you don't need to enter them manually - the IDE adds the code at compile time.

This also includes windows - you simply enter the window title, dimensions, screen position and style and when you run or compile it, you get what you selected.

TDK_Man

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 16:50
@ TDK:
That sounds really promissing to me! I hope you have further such cool ideas that you put in it!

I also hope you keep it up and don't come to any more "flaws in basic design" like the last time you mentioned!

I'm looking forward to see the "complete/final" result of your work! (Just take time to implement as much as you like! The more the better it will be (or so I hope)! )

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.2):
http://rapidshare.com/files/3326313/PhysiX-Brick-Breakout---V--1-2.zip
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi TDK wat language did you make this in and what syntax editor are you using?

All bow down to evil
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 19:50
I'm 99.9999999% sure that TDK is using Delphi to write this with. I'm not sure what syntax control he's using, but I know it's not Synedit.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 21:51
I dont now if it's possible in delphi (or whichever language), even though it probably is, but I remember he made a sort of syntax control for DBC (not syntax control, but searching a string and highlighting the word you searched). If it can be done in DBC, it can be done on anything

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 15:52
If it's written by TDK, then- of course- it's written in good ole Delphi!
The syntax control looks like the one by TMS. I could be wrong, though.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 16:24
Quote: "If it can be done in DBC, it can be done on anything "

Harsh! Lol!

Looks pretty cool. If I still used DBC then this would be something I'd be sure to keep my eye on. However, I do not, but I'll still keep an eye on it out of interest!

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 04:27
Just a quick update - still not fully working yet, though good enough to use and test out the project side of things if you are interested.

It's very similar to DBPro in that it creates a .DBP file to accompany the .DBA file. (When you load a DBA it asks if you want to create one if it isn't there).

All project options aren't implemented yet, so you'll have to have a play to see what's working and what's not...

BTW: Anything not working isn't a bug - it's just not been done yet!

Download: http://www.computechtenerife.com/dbminiide.zip (392K)

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 03:51 Edited at: 16th Dec 2006 03:54
If anyone is following this, I've just uploaded version 0.1b which now gives DB Classic working, (but limited) global variable support.

I've just noticed that the last download link had a typo so I doubt that anyone downloaded the last update even if they wanted to.

So, in this d/l, the whole project side of things should be new to everyone.

To create a global variable, simply use the usual method and prefix the variable name with the keyword 'Global' as in:

Global VarName

From then on, the variable name used will be treated as global. An example DBA file is included in the zip file.

Download:

http://www.computechtenerife.com/dbminiide.zip (393K)

TDK_Man

s0l1dsnak3123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 23:00
wow looking good TDK_man... nothing much else to say really

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 01:55
Just added right-click code insertions.

You can now type Ink (or Color Object etc), then right-click and select RGB Colour from the pop-up menu and use the mouse on a colour picker. It then inserts RGB(R,G,B) - with the correct values - into your code. Alternatively, it can insert the colour number.

It also adds code templates for all the blocks and loops like If..Endif, For..Next, Repeat..Until and so on.

Likewise for Functions and Procedures - just enter the name and type into the space left for you.

TDK_Man

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 02:30
Nice stuff! Convenience to the max!

-Mansoor Siddiquie

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 09:13
very nice

i downloaded the latest available version of the IDE, and i was really impressed by how much was done allready!

i'm currently at work, where i don't have any of my DBC Projects, but some day i will be sure to make good use of this IDE.

i love the function you added: "Creation order | A-Z order" for the Variables etc. list.
i allways hated when i had to search through my list for the label or function that i wanted to change. now with the "A-Z Order" function this will be much faster, and easier.

i know in my world editor program, i have over 100 functions, searching through that list takes a long time.

i also have 200 or more labels, that i sorted alphabetically in my code, but i spent a very long time sorting them haha.

Anto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 12:11
G'day

Um, I got 3 words to say about that IDE

I LOVE IT!!! (yes that 3 words)

TDK - Just bloodly finish it! It so good, I've always used DarkEdit\
now i'm using this - Number 1 reason is it got functions list, I can
easy easy find the functions I'm looking for plus the labels is a
bloody beauty idea as week

KEEP YOU YOUR GOOD WORK TDK!

Cheers Anto
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2006 19:16 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2006 19:17
This is looking very useful, great IDE!

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 04:13
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 17:17
Version 0.1d uploaded with the beginnings of a block/loop close check function.

When finished, this option should scan for and identify code blocks and loops which have not been closed like For..Next, Repeat..Until and so on.

At the moment, only For..Next loops are checked and if any Next lines are missing the relevant For line is highlighted.

http://www.computechtenerife.com/dbminiide.zip (407K)

TDK_Man

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 18:07 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 18:08
Sorry to bump this, but anyone had chance to check out the new features yet?

Feedback is appreciated...

TDK_Man

[img=http://www.computechtenerife.com/tdkani.gif][/img]
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 21:23 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 21:25
Hi TDK!

I have tested v0.1d with a project of mine (this is a map editor 3).
i tried out all kinds of different stuff.

Here is what i've discovered:
(sorry if you already know about these, let it be a reminder then)

* Text between RemStart - RemEnd are not highlighted as comments

* when doubleclicking on the *.dbp file, it would be neat if it would automatically open the included files etc. I don't like it when i have to manually open the files from inside the IDE.

* same goes for *.dba files. I usually open .dba files in DarkEdit and *.dbpro files in Codesurge. (that way i get two different icons and i can easily see which is the project file and which is a source file).

* if i write `image specific globals -- the ide think 's' is a global variable (note that there isn't a space between 'l' and 's', also that this is a comment

* if i write mutliple Arrays on one line (Dim File$(99) : Dim filesize(99)) the ide grabs the whole line and puts them as one entry in the "dimensioned Arrays" window. it would be better if they got one line each instead. because it makes it harder to seach through the list or arrays.

* if i write "Dim Filter$( 3, 2 ) : ` store file type filters" the ide grabs the whole line and defines the comment as a dim

* my code for this project doesn't compile, but in DarkEdit it compiles and runs just fine.

--

well that's all i found during the time i looked.

great job on this, i hope you can fix/add what i listed above

Edit:
when i closed the editor just now, i got this error message awww.. :S

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 05:00
Thanks for that Lukas...

Quote: "RemStart - RemEnd"

That's a problem I'm working on at the moment. As you suggest it's only a highlighting problem - the lines are actually seen as remmed out by the compiler.

Being a Delphi programmer, by mistake I kept using // for single rem lines as well as { and } (curly braces) for multiple rem lines when working in DB so I added them to the IDE.

Therefore the lines:

Rem This is a remmed line
// This is a remmed line

are both the same and usable in my IDE. The same goes for:

RemStart
Lots of remmed out lines
Lots of remmed out lines
Remend

and

{
Lots of remmed out lines
Lots of remmed out lines
}

Just made my life easier to be honest...

Quote: "when doubleclicking on the *.dbp file, it would be neat if it would automatically open the included files etc. I don't like it when i have to manually open the files from inside the IDE."

File associations won't be set up until the final build installer is created. As for manually opening files, you don't have to.

When you open up the DBA file in the IDE, if there is an associated DBP file it will be loaded. If there's not, you will be asked if you want to create one.

At the moment, you shouldn't be able to double-click any files from in Windows explorer (if that's what you mean).

Quote: "`image specific globals "

Hmmm - yes - forgot about that one. I never use the apostrophe for Rem and I therefore forgot to pre-parse for it.

Use Rem instead and it doesn't appear on the global variables list. I've put it on my To Do list though...

Quote: "mutliple Arrays on one line"

Yes - more work is yet to be done on the Pre-Parser. Noted.

Quote: "Dim Filter$( 3, 2 ) "

Same again. At the moment, it's not doing a full pre-parse and multiple lines can throw it.

At the moment, I've set it so the IDE leaves the TMP file it builds in the project directory. You can always open that up and see what is sent to the compiler.

As you can imagine, what this file contains is often nothing like what the IDE displays in the text window and it's useful to see what changes the IDE has made - rightly or wrongly.

TDK_Man

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 11:35 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 15:14
Quote: "Instead I decided to write the IDE that I would use - coming to the decision that what I really wanted was a very basic, no frills IDE that was easy to use. So that's what I started."

The IDE is really one of the main reasons I don't use DBC. I bought it mainly for helping a few buddies on mine with it. I'll give this a go when I get time, but it looks very promissing

Now if we could only have dynamic arrays in DBC, we could rule the world. Also if I had dynaminc array sizes I could port my open source engine over to DBC. Any chance this could be done through a plugin

[edit]
Quote: "when doubleclicking on the *.dbp file, it would be neat if it would automatically open the included files etc. I don't like it when i have to manually open the files from inside the IDE."

Please make a flag to turn this off if you add it as I prefer to open them myself.

[edit2] Man I am really loving this IDE

Check Syntax doesn't print out the error discriptions, so I guess this is a not yet done addition?

Anto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 09:01
G'day

Keep up the good work you've been putting into this. How close to complete are you.. Is it good for me to use as my editor now? as i'm sick of using Darkedit.

Anto
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 05:07
Quote: "Is it good for me to use as my editor now?"

All I will say is that it's usable in so much as you can type programs in, compile and run them.

There are lots of cosmetic things need doing to it like the highlighting and some buttons don't yet work. There's no access to the help files either so anyone who likes everything to be 100% working and correct is probably not going to like it yet.

After all, it's only a demo to see if anyone would use it if it was finished.

TDK_Man

Anto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2007 14:42
TDK,

I'm could be one of those people who would still use them if it is finished. I enjoy coding in DB Classic.

Not really to move on to Pro yet not for years

Anto

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:45:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:45:20