Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Gibble Blops | Medialess, 2D Online Fighter + Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 03:34 Edited at: 17th Mar 2007 23:53
Ive been using an older version of dark basic because my current computer cant support newer versions of DX, and because of that the code snippets below compiled without error, I just realized now that I access types not yet declared in the beginning of the code, which should produce an error, but never did, so I didnt notice.

Im in the process of rewriting the entire engine to work more efficiently with functions instead of jumbled of code snippets in sequencial order, and should be done by tomorrow, at which time Ill rewrite this entire thread to be more concise and to the point.

Gibble Blops
by RUCCUS

Am I hosting right now? No
Am I awaiting players right now? No
IP? N/A

-----------------------------------------
Download Gibble Blops Here (Tempest.dll Inside)
Or read on for the source code to paste into Dark Basic.

Gibble Blops is a small side project of mine Ive been programming (well, just last night so far, but hopefully more and more each week) while I take small breaks from my larger FPS Tutorial project. Ive been trying to keep the game simple and crisp as much as possible, which is one of the main reasons why it doesnt use any media.

For the time being, Ill release the source code for free, its stable and is in itself a complete game (connecting, battle, deaths, etc. ), but if I work on the project further and implement a few weapons that will take quite a long time to make, I might only release the executables at that stage.

Screenshots (Newest at Top)

Showing drowning (with bubbles!)
The newly added grapple hook seen here
Major update in graphics and gameplay
The first successful multiplayer run

Controls

A/D: Move your blob left and right
W: Make your blob jump. Press W while in air to perform a double jump.
S: Make your blob perform a smash attack, only works while in air. Great way to get to the ground fast.
Spacekey: Shoot a bullet

Source Code

Here's version 0.1's source code, feel free to change it however you like, post new attacks or ideas you've come up with (Im not asking for them, but if you want to go right ahead), or try to learn from the code. Right now its not very commented, and has a few too many variables than needed. As well (sorry TDK ) Ive got a bunch of floats in there that could be integers, but I only did so knowing there might be a chance where I needed to fill the variables with a float later on.

Version 0.2 (latest stable release)

Updates:
- Fixed Bullet Freezing bug
- Possibly fixed boot screen bug
- Added health bars
- Added scalable ground, and death from falling off a ledge
- Added side transfering (jump out of the screen to the left and appear at the far right)
- Added eyes to the blobs
- Added admin command "set score" to limit games
- Added winning/losing

Version 0.1

Connecting/Requirements

To compile the code, you'll need Darkbasic Pro (Darkbasic Classic might work) and the latest release of Benjamin's Tempest plugin. I also recommend you switch the project to Windowed Mode, so you can easily switch back and forth between it.

Connecting is pretty self explanatory.
a) Enter your desired user name
b) If you will be hosting, enter your IP Address, if you'll be joining a game, enter the host's IP Address. You can get your IP from www.whatismyip.com. If you want to test the game with yourself, use the loopback address, 127.0.0.1
c) Enter H for host or C for client (join)

Connection Notes

Last off, make sure that both the host and client have the program in the allow list of their firewalls if they have a firewall set up. Also, being behind a router *may* cause connection problems as well, if thats the case, try joining someone else's game who is not behind a router, usually you can join but not host if behind one.

Also, the engine only supports 2 players. Dont try to connect with 3 players, a connection failure will occur for the 3rd player. Modding the source to allow for more than 2 players requires quite a big overhaul in converting a bunch of variables into arrays and data types.
------------------

Have fun, Ill try to keep the source updated and Ill get to commenting/debugging later this weekend hopefully. Post any comments/ideas/questions here, and feel free to use the source code in any of your games if you see fit.

- RUC'

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 06:15 Edited at: 10th Feb 2007 06:20
Onlineness. Cool. I'll give it a try.

Edit: INtereting. Wish i could play with someone else though

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 12:19 Edited at: 10th Feb 2007 12:20
That's a nice simple little game. The double jump and smash attack reminds me of super smash brothers..

Shame scores don't update for the person who gains a point. It would also be nice to know which way you are facing.

Quote: "but when tested with saikoro he never saw the exit screen."

Probably because the server never calls TDisconnect.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 13:18
klooks hot! will test out when i bring my pc home. unless you have a mac version

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 14:16 Edited at: 25th Feb 2007 04:51
Thanks for the comments,

@Crazy: Ill probably be hosting tonight if you wana kill me at my own game (apparently I suck at it), just check the server status in the top of the first post.

@Ben: When did you test the source? I updated the source last night about an hour after I made the post when I noticed the kills werent being updated, and it was working fine for me after that. Ill take another look though.

@Wigget: Unless theres a free program out there that converts exe's to Max compatibles then no .

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 14:17
Quote: "@Ben: When did you test the source? "

Approximately never ago. I downloaded the EXE.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 14:20 Edited at: 10th Feb 2007 14:29
Ah my bad, I posted an older version, updating it now. (Ill edit this when it's updated).

<EDIT>

Alright the working version should be there now. Kind of a lame fix but I wanted to get to bed.

<EDIT 2>

Oh Ben about the TDisconnect bit. Wouldnt this be correct?

Thats to shutdown the server, the boot code is about the same just minus the TDisconnect, since that would disconnect the host as well no? Ive seen the connection lost screen come up on my computer on loopback, and on my friend's when I tested kicking him, just not with Saikoro.

- RUC'

:: Check out the new FPS Tutorial's Progress at http://www.freewebs.com/ruccus
along with code, media, and more.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 14:48
Quote: "Oh Ben about the TDisconnect bit. Wouldnt this be correct?"

It shouldn't be necessary to kick the other players first, TDisconnect handles that automatically.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 01:59 Edited at: 11th Feb 2007 02:01
Update

I fixed the bugs and added a lot of new random features, the dl/code is updated, check the first post, theres also a new screenshot up there as well.

:: Check out the new FPS Tutorial's Progress at http://www.freewebs.com/ruccus
along with code, media, and more.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 03:05 Edited at: 24th Feb 2007 21:45
Update

Grapple Hooks Part 1: The first phase of my grappling system is in place, allowing the player to grapple onto the cieling and floor and swing around.

Water: Ive added in water that drowns you as you fall, and your player spits out air bubbles as they fall downward in the water. The water moves using sine waves, its a pretty cool effect

This is the point where I stop releasing source code however, but Ill update the demo once I iron out some small bugs.

- RUC'

Attachments

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
looks extremly cool

Who wants a Lemon?

I love lemons... and cats

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:35:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:35:53