Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows 7 and TGC Product issues.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 23:56
Have a problem with a TGC sold product on the retail release of Windows 7? Discuss the issues here, and I'll start testing.

If you're using the Beta version, please don't report an issue!

borngamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 03:42
I just install DarkBASIC Pro on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and everything appears to be running fine.

John
Darkowen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 22:24 Edited at: 28th Oct 2009 02:16
Everything seems to be running fine with my darkbasic pro games but i have noticed that while running my game in windows 7, i get random framerate drops every now and again then it would spike up again which never happened when running my game in XP. I have all the latest drivers for everything. While it doesnt ruin my game experience, its just a tad annoying at times, especially since i know my pc is well than capable of running it 60fps, because it worked fine in XP. I tried running the game in XP mode *Not the Xp virtual console* but it just made loading times longer and no changes to the frame drops. At this point in time, it would be very difficult to tell whats actually causing it, could be windows 7, could be darkbasic software, could be my graphics card drivers being only new for windows 7 and not completely optimized. If anyone knows a fix to this please inform me.

My system specs are

Windows 7 Home edition

320GB Harddrive
2.8Ghz AMD dual-core Black edition
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
4GB ram.

EDIT : SOLUTION!

I found a solution to Low frame rate problem when your EXE is created simply right click it, go to properties then the Compatibility tab, Click on Disable visual themes and Disable Desktop composition. I needed to restart my Computer to actually get an effect. Now it works perfectly again. Love windows 7!

Evil Sheep!!
MadCat
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having a problem with DB pro with window 7 when i run a program to draw a box i am missing half of the box is there anybody else having that problem here is the code snip it.

MC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 00:02
@MadCat

You only uploaded the .dbpro project file, also need the .dba file in order to replicate your problem.

MadCat
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry about that here you go. it work OK when i debug
it step by step but when it is not in debug mode it only shows half of it

MC

Attachments

Docwes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 19:56
For the most part everything works great on windows but FPSC games just dont run right. The beyond life demo that comes with dark studio just gets to the loading screen and hangs there. As well as games i have compiled from fpsc the same issues. after initial menu they hang on load. I'm not sure if its an ati issue and not so much windows 7 but regular darkbasic and pro games seems to run fine.

running windows 7
amd64 3.0ghz dual-core
ati 4679 graphics card
terabye hd space.

all for now thanks.

Coding is good~ All the time!
http://www.docwes.net/sigv2.jpg
mclout99
Years of Service
User Offline
DB clasic runs OK and you can run the programs in the edior but if you creat the EXE any program dies. I have messed around with compatabilty and nothing seems to work. I wonder if any one has converted the demo games in old DB clasic to DBPro.
BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 20:59 Edited at: 1st Nov 2009 20:59
I posted something in WIP, and Slooper said that he kept having his screen flash as though it couldn't decide what resolution to set, and then a silent crash. However, running on my machine with XP I'm not having any issues. Project + source linked below, no media required.

https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1871840

It could just be my code of course . . .
MadCat
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tryed differnt compadibility mode it dose work but only in bebugging step by step . if some one has had a silmilure problem please let me know and if there is a fix pass it on please.if ther is some other step i can take to try ans fix this issue please let me know the file i am haveing problems with is onmy previouse post it using the line command to make a sq rally easy to to but it happen with all of my graphic that i do do it oly draw half of them or half the pic .
thx
mc

MC
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 13:44
@mclout99: That's weird, I have no problems running DBC exe's in Windows 7 (64-bit), and I don't have to run the exe in compability- or administrator mode.. I do need the d3drm.dll though, of course.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 06:54
There's a strange problem while trying to run the free version of DBPro; it simply won't load. I went to put the registration key in, and it just wouldn't run. Oddly, the trial version of DBPro runs fine (after setting the compatibility mode to WinXP Service Pack 3).

I'm going to try DarkBASIC Classic when I can...I burned a back-up copy onto a CD and I'll see if I can't install it within the next couple of days. I hope it runs decently, I'd like to start developing games in it again.

"The fools may crash down upon us in thunderous waves, but we shall Jeku slap them back from whence they came"
-BiggAdd, Oct 28th 2009
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 01:58
Quote: "There's a strange problem while trying to run the free version of DBPro; it simply won't load. I went to put the registration key in, and it just wouldn't run."

Did you run it as administrator?
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 16:59
A simple question for both dbc, dbp and fps. What directX does windows 7 use ? I am assuming for those of you who got these products worked that you installed dx9 ??? and what about the actual executables that were created ? did they run fine ? Exactly what do you have to do to get the products installed and running correctly and the compiled executables ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2009 13:16
@gamer boots: For some reason, the only thing I had to do to get DBC exe's running was to copy the d3drm.dll into its folder. However, to get DBP games to run I had to install dx9. I only run the compiler and the ide in admin mode, not the exes(DBC).

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 19:09
thanks zzz. I appreciate your response.

----------------
Gamerboots~
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 06:25
The Only Problem I Got with Windows 7 Really Is the Map editor With FPSC....its laggs crazy on it...but the acutal games run fine...My specs are on my sig...

Computer Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz @ 1066Mhz FSB 3MB Cache, Dual Channel 8192MB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz RAM, XFX Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB, MSI P7N SLI-FI Motherboard - nForce 750i SLI
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 07:44
Quote: "the only thing I had to do to get DBC exe's running was to copy the d3drm.dll into its folder"

does this work as well for 64bit systems (xp 64bit , vista 64bit, and win7 64bit) or is this solution limited to 32bit ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 05:56
I tried DBC on Win7 Home Premium 64-bit; no luck. Doesn't matter to me since I've successfully downloaded and installed DBPro free, but I'm sure it will affect people who still want to use DBC.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 06:17
I have been using FPS Creator V1.16 on Windows 7 Pro for some time with no issues. Today I worked about 10 hours on a level that I started previously and got the layout to near completion... no characters or weapons, just the static level. It takes up pretty much the entire grid and a few levels including some tall building entities.

The test game runs fine, no issues whatsoever, but it's got to the point where it won't build the level. It will only complete the build if I set the settings as low as they will go, no light mapping and low textures.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200
2GB DDR
NVIDIA 8600GT 512MB
120GB hard drive w/40GB free space
Windows 7 Pro.

So I installed FPS Creator on my XP Pro drive (same computer, different drive) and copied the FPS Creator directory from the Windows 7 drive to the XP installation. The level now builds successfully with all setting on high.

I assume this is a memory issue, and that Windows 7 is using more memory that XP. Can anyone confirm this or shed more light on the matter? It may be a while before I increase the memory on this system so any info I can get in the meantime will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 10:32
Quote: "Can anyone confirm this or shed more light on the matter?"

yes , but I dont believe it has anything to do with w7 or xp as there is an obvious major memory leak :
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=162426&b=28
Needless to say , I had to uninstall and completely reinstall from the dvd and re-apply 1.5 just to get it back to an acceptable working condition (simply running the 1.5 patch again did not work )
IMHO 1.6 is too unstable to use so I suggest waiting for the next patch whitch fixes all the ones 1.6 introduced.

----------------
Gamerboots~
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 06:31
It now appears that this is not a Windows 7 issue. I have added more to the level and now it will no longer build in XP. I suspect it is a V1.16 issue. I will try to revert to V1.15 and see if that works, but that is a matter for another thread.

Brian.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 17:42 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 17:43
Quote: "The test game runs fine, no issues whatsoever, but it's got to the point where it won't build the level. It will only complete the build if I set the settings as low as they will go, no light mapping and low textures."

This is a common problem with large levels and not OS specific, it has do do with memory and objects that use many polygons. I've had this discussion with Lee and there's something coming in a future update that will let your keep an eye on how much memory you game will consume.

This is one of the reasons my game "he is coming..." has been put on hold.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 05:04
Got it. Thanks dude.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 04:03 Edited at: 3rd May 2010 17:13
perhaps we should expand the compatibility list a little to include 32 and 64bit versions of each variation of windows 7(home,premium,pro,ultamate)???

DBP:
ok, I'm updating this post to include some info for those using windows 7 premium 64 bit. Even after you install the compiler and dx9 you will need to copy 2 dll files into your c:\windows\system folder. The files are mfc71.dll and msvcr71.dll
These files are located in your compiler directory and should be included with the exe of any project you do.
FPS:
v1.5 works nicely on win7 64bit and so do its exe's.
As far as I can tell , you do not have to copy any dll's to get FPS or its exe's to work.
3DWS :
works fine execpt that you get a "wrong thread" popup when closing the program.

----------------
Gamerboots~

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 06:01 Edited at: 31st Mar 2010 22:38
I have just gotten a new computer and Windows 7. Compiling fpsc source code in W7 messes up the shaders. Everything that has a shader is pure black. Segment or Entity. The exe that was compiled with XP OS works fine on W7. It's just when it is compiled on W7.

I will post up some in-game comparisons.

Here are in-line examples. Deleted the attached images. These are better examples.

NOT WORKING (W7):

WORKING (XP):

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2010 06:45 Edited at: 31st Mar 2010 22:37
Examples in-line above. These are better examples.

If anybody can verify that this does or does not happen to them, it would be appreciated.

Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2010 04:58
(this may be a bit late) The extends xgui example crashes on my win7 machine as soon as I run it, yet the exact same source runs fine on my far lower spec'ed XP net book.

netbook specs:
winXP
1.6GHz processor
1GB RAM (it's an elonex web book, I don't know the full specs)

Desktop specs:
2xati radeon hd 4550 (ones at 1GB the others at 512MB and they're running a dual screen set up, the 1GB card is my primary though and is the one all games are run off)
~2GHz core2duo processor
4GB RAM
Foxcom 975X7AB Motherboard.

Just thought I'd let you know.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2010 17:18
have you tried running it on win7 without the dual monitors ?

----------------
Gamerboots~
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 11:54
Daniel,
Crash running DGDK 7.4 in Windows 7 Home Premium x64, with DirectX 9 February 2010 installed.

This is the scenario:

- Same DGDK application (MPL3D Solar System) has been built with VS2005/DGDK 120307 and VS2008/DGDK 7.4

Tested in:

- Windows XP SP3 x32
- Windows 7 Home Premium x64

both with DirectX 9 February 2010 installed.

Results:

Version VS2005/DGDK 120307 of MPL3D Solar System:

Windows XP SP3 x32: Runs without problems.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64: Runs without problems.

Version VS2008/DGDK 7.4 of MPL3D Solar System:

Windows XP SP3 x32: Runs without problems.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64: Crash with this error:

Quote: "Tried to read a surface which has no read permissions!"

And then (spanish descriptions):

Quote: " Nombre del evento de problema: BEX
Nombre de la aplicación: Main.exe
Versión de la aplicación: 0.0.0.0
Marca de tiempo de la aplicación: 4bc76c57
Nombre del módulo con errores: MSVCR90.dll
Versión del módulo con errores: 9.0.30729.4926
Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores: 4a1743c1
Desplazamiento de excepción: 0002e6e3
Código de excepción: c0000417
Datos de excepción: 000000"

I'm still pending to debug the error properly, however it would be helpful to know if someone has seen this before, or knows a solution.

I want to point out that

DGDK VS2005 uses "d3dx9_31.dll",

while

DGDK VS2008 uses "d3dx9_37.dll".

I'll post further information about the error as soon as I can gather it, thanks in advance.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 02:28
Quote: "both with DirectX 9 February 2010 installed"

have you tried testing with DirectX 9c August 2007 ?
here is the link

----------------
Gamerboots~
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 12:12
gamer boots, thanks for the tip. I have not tried that, however older DirectX versions are supposed to be included with the newer ones.
Anyway I cannot ask people to install a 3 year old version of DirectX 9 and forget about the newest one.
Nevertheless, it could be interesting to know if it works fine that way.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 15:11
unfortnately , some of the newer" versions of 9c actually omit several key dlls that tgc products require to run , hence the requirement of that speciffic version.
Installing another version is not really a big deal as windows will use side by side when installing different versions of directx. this makes it possible to have several different versions of dx installed at the same time. on my win7 for exmaple, I have dx 11, dx9c august(2007) and atleast couple more varients that were installed with some of my games.

----------------
Gamerboots~
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 06:59
Aye. During your game's install, just run the dx install silently.

Edenstone
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh boy.
I have been installing games, software, and other such programs for years with hardly any trouble other than removing and reinstalling to fix errors. I am having loads of troubles with this Dark bonanza package. i have never had so much trouble in my life as i am with this new package i purchased. Just upgraded to the new version, 7.5 and its even worse. Dark AI and Dark Lights, and all the other plugins have decided not to populate in the editor, as though it won't run them. look in the programs menu and there they are.

Only thing i would appreciate is a list. of files to install first, and where oh where to put those library files. there is no text file to tell you where, no .exe to install them, and no obvious list. as i am a beginner programmer, i thought this suite would be perfect, if i can just get the crap to work.

this is the last shot. i am uninstalling everything, reinstalling DBpro, then the upgrade, then all the plug ins. if nothing works still, i will consider this a learning lesson, and delete all DB products and look elsewhere for my software and information supplies.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 03:50
Hi Edenstone,
I am running everything on windows 7 64bit and everything works really good. I recomend that you do a clean install and re-install the directX version, whitch speaking of , are you sure your using the right dx version ? I have had absolutely no problems running dbp or fps on mine. but you have to have the right dx version installed for it to work properly. ADditionally, the fps upgrade to 1.6 works 10x better on windows 7 than it does on XP (1.6 appears buggy on xp for some reason) now there is a couple dll files that you will need to copy to the system folder located at "C:\Windows\system" The files are located in the compiler directory and should probably be included with your final exe's as well. They are mfc71.dll and msvcr71. Without these in your system folder strange things will happen and some things will not work like they are suppose to. Hope this has been helpful to you.

----------------
Gamerboots~
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 18:39
It appears that the program (terrain generator) T.ED needs to be updated for Windows 7:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170293&b=2

-Keith

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2010 20:03
I'm having trouble uploading to the Game Creators Store on Windows 7. The store crashes after I hit the upload button; if run from FPSC, the editor crashes as well. I am running it as an administrator. Any solutions?

Latest progress: Fog of War implemented; frustrated by pathfinding >.>
fixpod
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There's a strange problem while trying to run the free version of DBPro; it simply won't load. I went to put the registration key in,[href=www.fixpod.com.au]iphone screen[/href] and it just wouldn't run. Oddly, the trial version of DBPro runs fine (after setting the compatibility mode to WinXP Service Pack 3). I'm going to try DarkBASIC Classic when I can...I burned a back-up copy onto a CD and I'll see if I can't install it within the next couple of days. I hope it runs decently, I'd like to start developing games in it again."

me also had same problem but solved to come here .

www.fixpod.com.au
kitty101
Years of Service
User Offline
FPSC x10 works for me on my direct x11 system.

SPECS.

Intel 980x
eVGA 470 (Buying two more this weekend and the prices dropped )
Asus Rampage Extreme III
3 SSD's in RAID 0
1 32gb SSD for booting.
2 1TB HDD's in RAID 1
1 256GB HDD

I ran it off my SSD too, can anyone confirm it works while using it from an SSD?

Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK Studio Always
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 04:47
un installed avast every thing is working fine now

There can only be one
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Feb 2011 03:30 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 03:53
WOW! I am shocked that what I know has not been mentioned here...

Perhaps what helped me will help you guys...

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64
the rest is not important aside from meeting the minimum specs of every application

My first purchase was DGS Bonanza(Dark Game Studio), I immediately ran into compile issues in DBPro as well as running issues for app's the likes of Tree Magik and Plant Life... (which by the way, I managed to fix plant life and tree magik by means of the following as well as initially running in single monitor mode... however it tends to work in dual monitor mode now... which I can not explain as of yet lol)

For some people turning off/disabling *desktop composition* is useful as well as *visual themes*... including for apps you create. (if you do not know how to do this already... try right clicking your EXE for your app and clicking properties then having a look in the "Compatability" tab under "Settings")

However the greatest resolution I found was based within windows itself...

People misunderstand windows 7 and therefore it gets bad publicity... please read the following without criticism...

Windows 7 has been re-engineered to be more secure for the casual user... that being Bob who likes to check his email in the evening and Lucy who likes to MSN chat with her kids while away from home... in both examples were talking about people with minimal knowledge of using a computer... say motherboard to them and ... HUH? what?

Ok principle aside there have been some modifications which interfere with those of us who know our way around the HIGH STREETS of BIT and BTYE...

Before you continue reading ensure you are an Administrator User, Limited Users can not perform the following.

Fix 1 - Anti-Virus Apps

I run Windows Live Security Essentials... it does me wonders and before you criticise... I used it when you had to pay for it, when it was called OneCare... and whatever you say... it works wonders for me, and it does great too. It has great features and is highly usable unlike... the alternatives which have menu upon menu of not easy to understand BS... sorry I shall try to hold in my french lol...

The following is for WLSE users as I do not use any of the other apps, you will have to just attempt to recreate the same solutions in your security apps.

In WLSE look for the SETTINGS tab and select "EXCLUDED FILES AND LOCATIONS" then click "BROWSE" you want to add the default location of TGC products which for me was just the one folder, however you can do the same for however many apps you like... for example 3DWS has its own install location within program folders, and remember some install into the (x86) program files and some install in the normal 64 bit folder (3DWS installs into the x86), so be sure to add any you feel needed... for me I just added "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators" and click "OK" in the browse window and then just click "Add", thats all for the exclude from live scan process, this will stop your protection system from interrupting with your compiles. (Some of the items that come with DGS... do get installed into the default Program Files folder... specially that Benge sprites pack (Animated Sprites) from the TGC store.

If the above does not solve your problems then add Fix 2 to your to do list...

Fix 2. - DEP exclusion...

Data Execution Prevention... DEP... in other words, this disallows applications from accessing system memory easily and therefore restricting your application to launch/run and expand into the system memory... a lot like a virus does in order to escape the clutches of your protection software... (obviously more to this than meets the eye but just telling you that for a reference...)

Right in order to disable DEP for specific folders and EXEcutables... read on...

First click start, then right click "Computer" then click "Properties" this opens up a basic system overview... from here you should have a banner on the left with various options under the title of "Control Panel Home" (obviously if your using a French version of windows... this might be different lol) below it you should see an option for "Advanced System Settings" click it, and if you still have UAC (User Access Control) enabled... click continue..., then you should see a window pop up titled "System Properties" and already be on the "Advaced Tab" if not for whatever reason, click the tab called "Advanced" and then inside the first lined out box with the title "Performance" click "Settings" (if your still confused which one to click... just click the top one) ... now you will be presented with the "Performance Options" dialogue window... click the tab titled "Data Execution Prevention" now... you will see 2 radio selection boxes below some text telling you what the section is for... and the top one should be pre-selected... select the second option titled "Turn on DEP for all programs and services-Except those I select:" now the add button should turn itself on so that you can select it.... do so... as you should see the list above it is empty...

This time you can only select EXEcutables unlike the security app... this only affects the EXEcutables you choose it for. simply locate every EXE you make use of from the TGC applications, such as cs.exe for cartography shop, 3Dworldstudio.exe for 3DWS... and of course... DarkBasic Professional Compiler and Launcher as well as Tree Magik and Plant Life and the rest... remember to include the compilers and all associated EXEcutables related to the apps you create if needed and the applications you make use of that have launch problems... I made some really old games run using this method... now simply click "Apply" and you might be asked to restart your pc once this is done...

Now if you still are having issues... there is Fix 3... the "Coup d'état" haha again with the french thing... just being humurous lol and no your not doing anything illegal here just... causing yourself some risk... only perform Fix 3 if you are comfortable with it...

Fix 3 - the Coup d'état (A.K.A. Disable UAC - oooohhh nooo!)

Ok now before someone jumps up and says... "dont touch that mouse"... consider this... Everytime you click "OK", and then are presented with a silly screen that simply tells you the name of the application you are running... (or maybe not running), (starting/Launching) and are asked to either "Continue" or "Cancel"... keep this in mind... "Did I launch this app?... ok let me put it this way... to disable UAC is to open the flood gates to your fromt door... essentially turning your beautiful Windows 7 into an haha "Un-Protected" Windows XP..., what this means is... if you feel you can not make judgement calls to not run "dodgy" applications or are Bob or Lucy... please do not continue reading and ... well just pray that Fix 1 and 2 helped you...

Ok, and now for the confident people out there... ensure before you continue that you have a very good FIREWALL built into your ROUTER or MODEM, or anything else... and ensure you have good faith in your Anti-Virus...

First, click start>then left click your avatar image (the picture for your logon profile) this should bring you to your User Account window.

If the above is hard to understand then do the following...
click start > left click Control Panel > click User Accounts and Family Safety *in green text* (if not in default view click User Accounts) > click User Accounts *in green text*)

Now whichever route you took, you should be at the User Account window, with your user name in a box to the right of the window (with your logon avatar/image) showing whether you are an administrator or Limited-User (hopefully it says Administrator if not please gain access to an Administrator account... the same calls for any of the mentioned in this post) now in the middle below where it says in blue "Make changes to your user account there should be at least 4 items with the UAC emblem shield the last one being called "Change User Account Control settings" it might or should ask you to click continue, do so... you will be presented with a new window which should have a slider to the left side with a selector around 3/4th the way up, or at the top I can not remember which but it highlights the 3/4 marker on mine and is default... run the slider to the bottom which says "Never Notify me when:" this setting disables UAC apparrently... then finally click "OK" at the bottom and it might ask for the final farewell Continue button lol, and maybe even a restart of system... once you restart, you should have complete freedom and never see another damn continue and screen blackout again... good riddens lol... however remember, the same goes for virusses if ever... just do not go to dodgy web-sites and stick with the ones you know best... for me I am perfectly fine, I know my Task manager back to front and I know the applications I have running, if not... unlike xp, on Windows 7 you can locate the location of a running process which is a very handy feature indeed ... so hope this helps, I did post something similar to various threads across the forum, maybe 2, but I think this extensive post is much needed here.

Before I forget... one last additional, not exactly a fix but a reminder... if making networked applications ensure that you allow it through your firewall and also setup ports on your ROUTER correctly in order for it to work correctly... (sometimes when you try launching a network applications it pops up a window saying would you like to allow this program through your firewall, if its your network app, then just click yes or allow) if your using a HOST application... its best practice to have A STATIC IP... fish around for this if you dont have a clue, or perhaps call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ask them if you either have it or if they provide it... (you may be charged extra)

I hope this helped you guys, and for those who removed DGS, get it back on and then do the above, happy game making (oh and again before I forget, on some apps like 3DWS and Cartography Shop, you still get the Wrong Thread error, just ignore it)

EDITS - were just minor typos corrected

NEW EDIT -
I NEARLY FORGOT TO ADD =
if your running Windows 7 x64(bit) remember to use the 64bit edition of explorer to browse the net its much faster and safer, and when you need to see a flash video or web-site, just copy the url into the normal explorer or another browser and simple... 64bit browser is ace to prevent wierd stuff running by default.

ADDITION EDIT - { forgot I used hyphens here }

Turns out I did mention Visual Themes and Desktop Composition... some people just dont read >.<

Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
I have problems still.

I dont have WLSE and i tried option 2 but it didnt work. (im not sure if i included everything) and option 3 sounds way to risky to my computer.

What would i have to do to get JUST Treemagik and Planet Life working on my windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 17:36
umm I cant see your post yet on here but read it on email, so dont know if you edited it yet or not, but to make treemagik work, do what it says in my previous post about DEP, you only need to do fix 3 for making DBPro work as far as I am aware, as DBPro acts funny when it compiles projects, you could probably be ok with leaving it on, but have to turn it off and restart before compiling if you dont feel like turning it off...

ive attached an image showing my DEP list, make yours match

also pay attention to the highlighted line

Attachments

Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
My post was unedited from what you originally read.

I think the problem is im trying to run the demos of both Plant Life and Treemagik. I followed the steps and found both demo .exes on my computer, added them, restarted, and they both run in the task manager, but dont do anything else.

I really hope there is a way around this or something, i was really hoping these programs would help me.

Oh, and my computer can handle DEP, the highlighted line reads the same on my machine.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 07:08 Edited at: 12th May 2011 07:09
Ahh I see you are still on moderation, not to worry,

Are you by any chance running in dual monitor mode? I initially also had an issue with this, but seems disabling UACfixed that... give fix 3 a go and see what happens, do go offline for it though, then simply re-enable it if it doesnt help and restart.

its 05:08 am here in the UK, I am as fresh as ever surprisingly...

EDIT

UAP TO UAC WOOPS LOL

Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
Finally got around to trying it out. Didnt do anything, same issue.

I wish i even had a clue as to what was wrong...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 21:48
try backing up and fresh install after a format and try again, see if its your install thats affected in some odd way ^^

use an imaging application to image your hdd onto an external hdd

Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried a new install. Same dumb problem. This is really beyond stupid that this happens. Like what could possibly be different about my computer that makes this not work?

Could it be my vid cards? possibly drivers? Im pretty sure their up to date though.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 23:29 Edited at: 25th Jan 2012 03:12
did you try updating EVERYTHING and installing the august 2006 DX that comes with DBPro? (by that I mean I got DGS DVD)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:41:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:41:36