Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Complete scifi level in 3d editor (wip)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 13:25
Hi guys

I felt like doing some thing new today.Wanted to check if I could create a complete scifi level within a 3D editor with keeping polygons in mind.The result is 4500 polys so far...

My intention is to create a complete level within a 3d editor without using a single entity or segment.Okay that is a lie will be importing the level as a segment should have less or no collision detection problems.(I have found importing sections as entities have numerous collision problems.

Each mesh is a standalone mesh and can be exported textured and import into FPScreator segment editor without out altering XYZ positional information and the whole level can then be exported as a single segment/mesh to be used within the editor.

I hoping to complete the level within a week or so and have it uploaded for you guys to test out.Will try and keep it within 100K polygons.

I think this is the way forward to creating levels for Fpsc.This method allows me to create what need without limitation.

BTW mods.

Here is the first section.

What do you guys think is it worth the time and effort?Should I continue?

The buddy system is essential to your survival; it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at.
The problem with taking the easy way out is that the enemy has already mined it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 13:50
I think I need to see more screenshots to fully understand the concept of this and how well it works. Some ingame shots with lighting and textures.

It sounds promising though.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 14:02
@Scurvy Lobster

Well busy with the first section ceilings will use default texture for every thing for now and import so that you can get some idea of what I am planing to do..

Busy with the ceilings...

The buddy system is essential to your survival; it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at.
The problem with taking the easy way out is that the enemy has already mined it.

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 14:30
Yes, it'll be interesting to see how it works in an actual level. Perhaps instead of an entire level, you could create modules of say, 15x15 or 20x20 square that could be placed against each other and swapped around to make different levels? Just a thought.

Brian.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 14:53
@xplosys

This is completely custom wall floor ceiling sizes and each section does however fit the next one.However normal segment do not apply here it doesn\'t even fit...

So an entire level in a 3d model editor is the only way.To explain again this is not a single mesh however the whole level is made out of hundreds(have about 120 meshes so far) of meshes from the 3D editor each mesh gets exported textured and gets imported into FPSC segment creator because when texturing I do not change the coordinates those coordinates get imported into FPSC segment creator.

All I need to do is apply the texture and shader and export.

Here is a quick test screeny that I made followed by the in game screeny I used a single texture for now just to show what I mean.

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 14:54
In game ignore the texture

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 16:18
Looks promising. I've seen some successes with 3D World Studio and Sketchup being imported into FPSC. What are you using again?

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 16:24
Softimage XSI saving up to upgrade to 2010

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 16:56
that would be AWESOME with textures i tell u! ^^ really! it looks GREAT

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:02
Looks great,are you having any collision trouble?

A.K.A djmaster
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:09
@Quik

Lol yeah I know going to take some time map each mesh.I could do it via XSI but I kinda hate the uv mapper.

I guess if I hide some of the meshes it should be a little easier to map or maybe it's because I am so used to lithUnwrap...

@charger bandit

None yet but those ramps that will cause some problems with entities so it's likely that I will be replacing it with some steps...

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:23
That was where some problems occurred (if I remember correctly), was with collision. But it depends on how complex the geometry is...that and if a character can/will interact with certain areas. Otherwise, it can be as complex as the frame-rate can tolerate.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:44
@KeithC

I don't know how others have done it with the level editors.But if you import each mesh separately into a segment editor you will have no problems.

Also you have to remember I'm doing this in a 3D model editor which works a lot different than a level editor it also contains a 100 time more features and takes 3 times as long.Complex meshes are what I am after which is rather limited in a level editor.

However I will have culling problems with the level as single mesh so I will have to add doors to lessen the load.But so far on a 4500 poly mesh no frame drop....till I started adding entities.

Some more progress pictures.

made some minor changes weren't happy with middle section

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 18:51
Just reach the 10K mark.I think this look much better than the previous middle section...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 18:52
From another angle

Attachments

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 18:54
you seriously have to texture that later! or... yeah u know what will happen.. (i will kill you)

kidding, but it would actually look gorgeous with a texture^^ keep it up!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 19:05
Really looking forward to a textured, and in-game (lit, etc.) scene later on!

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 19:21 Edited at: 10th Dec 2009 19:22
@Quik

Quote: "(i will kill you)"

Some one tried once but my hunting knife gave him some thing to think about....

@KeithC

Yeah me too.But you can texture it if you want.

Here is the current level to check out.Currently at save file 8
there is no way I'm going to redo every thing....

I might upload the final level mesh to share but since it's going to be in fpscreator and in 100's of pieces.Here is a small preview the current layout of section 1.

Attachments

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 19:28
I would maybe add some more detail to the pipes, look a bit boring IMO.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 09:44
Quote: "I would maybe add some more detail to the pipes, look a bit boring IMO."

Well I can't add much more detail now, I have to export the current layout and work with skeleton for adding more detail.Currently takes about 1min +- for export and 2min +- for import so it's getting hectic so I have started exporting this section of the level and then importing the sections I want to add detail to..

But I will be adding end pieces to the pipes like this...

Also want to add some grate sections and some light fixtures to add some depth to the level layout.

Attachments

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 10:17
i think more detail on them would make them more interesting, BUT they do suffice as they are right now =P

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 11:04
@Quik

Yip but I do not really care much for extra detail on the pipes when as most of the pipe ends is not really visible.Those wastage's of poly's could add "visible" detail some where else...

Started the painful process of texture mapping.

1 down 19 files left....

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 14:53
4 hours later....

Not too bad still have 4 meshes to inport..

Attachments

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 17:00
its looking really really awesome! did you use some sort of consept for it or did u make it all from free hand?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 17:03
free hand

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 17:39
how did u... awesomeXD

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 17:58
! thats is....awesome!

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 19:29
Started adding the light sources and detail.Should look way better in x10 even X9 with a slight bloom shader.

Attachments

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job mate, Looks really promising.
____
-Laz

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that looks really good! Finish the level with that much detail and it will look even better!

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 21:38
Thanks.

Yeah I'm ready to rip it part and rebuild it, I guess one learns some thing from building some thing like this first time around and improve the second time around, and as they say third time is a charm...

Some things that I have learned so far.

1.Start with the floor layout.
2.Add floor detail
3.Add wall layout
4.Export floor
5.Remove floor meshes (tracking 10K + polygons is no fun)
6.Add wall detail
7.Add ceiling layout
8.Export walls
9.Remove wall meshes
10.Add ceiling detail
11.Export ceiling

Some editing stuff
1.While bridging polygon wall corners seals the corners it's better to duplicate the wall sections before bridging the two meshes edges and then deleting the unneeded polygons just leaving the corner and still two separate wall meshes.Just makes uvmapping
so much easier.

I'm happy with the way it's has turn out just not happy with the modeling this is by far not the best I can do.I can do much much better.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 22:31
Here is the completed first section...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 22:35
just made some minor changes

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 20:16
Well I said I was going to do a new better design spend the last few days trying to come up with a better design that looks less like FPSC and more like a professional game level.I decided to stick with freehand designing I did however do so research and loaded a few scifi games to play as well as browsing the net.

I found that most scifi games prefer not to use a complete flat floor and instead add little platforms or foliage that breaks up the the flatness even some areas that had flat floors used floor lights or simple things like floor grates.

So I decided I was going to try that approach and see how I can introduce that into my level designing as well as break up the sharp corners of floors.

This is what it looks like so far busy with the railings now before adding the rest of the walls and adding detail to the walls.
I found using different floor height does have a positive effect however it does make the area look much smaller...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 20:20
one of the other designs that I do not like I looks okay its just it did not have a good focal point I was looking for

Attachments

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 20:37
looks really highpoly(?)

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 08:13
Quote: "looks really highpoly"

The first screen shot is 4500 and the second 10500

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 16:48
Busy with wall detail and the one top railing need to be done.

Should I change the railing?

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you made the demo yet?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 11:03:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 11:03:51