Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / XenoPhysics - A Havok Wrapper for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 00:59 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 05:33
Well, I've wanted to do this for a bit, but just about eleven days ago I decided to begin working on it. The actual programming started probably about nine days ago or so. Anyways, without further ado...

XenoPhysics
This is a plugin aimed at programmers who wish to have professional control over the dynamics within their games. This plugin utilizes Havok Physics and Havok Animation, two extremely high quality dynamics libraries. Havok supports outstanding rigid body physics, as well as amazing Character control and vehicle simulation. If you have ever played: Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Dead Rising, BioShock, Condemned 2, Dead Space, Fallout 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Far Cry 2 then you have definitely used Havok.

As of right now I have implemented 96 commands within XenoPhysics. These include commands for rigid bodies, character controllers, and vehicles.

Some features I wish to highlight:
Character Controllers
Very high quality
Ability to move objects (but not infinitely strong)
Integrated ability to move forward, backward, left, and right.
Integrated ability to jump.
Integrated ability to crouch.
Integrated ability to climb ladders (ladders can be any rigid body that you call the "xeno set rigid body as ladder" command on)

Vehicles
Amazing amounts of variables to be set - optional. You can set data about the vehicles engine, it's transmission, it's aerodynamics, it's steering, each individual wheel (you can have an arbitrary amount of wheels also. You can have as many axles as you want as well and apply wheels to each axle)
Integrated vehicle camera command set - simply call "xeno make camera" and then position and point your camera with the following commands:

This allows for seamless vehicle integration into DarkBasic Professional. Gone are the days where it takes you lines upon lines of code to create vehicles. You can do that with just one line now, with the preset vehicles I am including.
Simple command set for controlling vehicles:

Presets for vehicles will include (will most likely expand):
Four wheeled vehicle
Six wheeled vehicle
Motorcycle
Tank

This plugin will allow you to finally achieve the professional quality physics you see in games today. Ever wanted a game to control like Halo? Well now it's feasible with my plugin. You no longer have to mess with intricate forces to move your player correctly, or deal with your character being simply incapable of certain tasks.

For now that is all I have implemented. This is a complete list of commands within my plugin at the moment:

Those are all the commands for now. Assuming I didn't forget anything, if you have questions let me know.

For now, I'll leave you with a very very basic demo I wrote in about two minutes as well as its source code so you can see what a program written with this plugin looks like. You need the latest DirectX redistributable installed (august I think)

Please note - the demo is not supposed to be flashy. At all. It is graphically dull, in fact. The beauty lies within the physics.

If there are problems with the demo let me know.
Controls:

Code:

Looking forward to any responses! (I wish there was a preview post option...)

XenoPhysics - A Havok Wrapper for DarkBasic Pro. In progress.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 01:11
I get an error because it can't find the DLL. Also, for some reason, it can't seem to find d3dx9_42.dll, lol

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 01:13 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 01:13
Quote: "I get an error because it can't find the DLL. Also, for some reason, it can't seem to find d3dx9_42.dll, lol"

Quote: "You need the latest DirectX redistributable installed (august I think)"

You need latest DirectX Redistributables. I'll switch the dependency to an older version soon (for future demos). My internet is quite sluggish, so I won't be able to get an older directx dependent demo up.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 02:00
Sounds cool looking forward to seeing some demos of this. Is there a license for Havok? Has it been made free recently?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 02:04
Quote: "Sounds cool looking forward to seeing some demos of this. Is there a license for Havok? Has it been made free recently?"

Thanks. Without contacting Havok at all you can sell a game for up to $10. If you contact them you can request a free license to sell a game for as much as you'd like.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 02:11 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 02:14
the simple demo works fine here tho a little too simple to show much functionality but plenty of potential

@zoto: i had to dl the dx DLL, too (on vista here). after i dropped it in the demo folder, it ran fine (and the (separate) missingle DLL error went away, too)).

@tiresius: from what i read, it's free. if your commercial product sells for over $10, logo and credits need to be included, otherwise, completely free.

@xarshi, keep up the good work!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 02:20 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 02:31
Quote: "the simple demo works fine here tho a little too simple to show much functionality but plenty of potential
"

Heh, I figured simple was better than nothing I wasn't intending on posting until I had more features.

Quote: "@zoto: i had to dl the dx DLL, too (on vista here). after i dropped it in the demo folder, it ran fine (and the (separate) missingle DLL error went away, too))."

It gave the missing dll error because the plugin depends on the d3dx9_49.dll, and if you don't have it, that means that the plugin won't load. At least, that's my theory.

Tomorrow I'll be adding in at least two vehicle presets, one of which will be the motorcycle. After I have more vehicle presets I am going to work on ragdoll integration.

Edit
I'm actually considering condensing the camera commands. Instead of xeno make camera I'm just going to have a xeno control camera cameraID, rigidBodyID then xeno enable camera control ID and xeno disable camera control ID. Instead of having to position the camera explicitly, my plugin will handle that.

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Any chance of this having a DarkGDK version?Id like to see this one in DarkGDK. Nice work by the way.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 03:20 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 05:20
Quote: "Any chance of this having a DarkGDK version?Id like to see this one in DarkGDK. Nice work by the way."

Sure. I don't see why not. My primary focus will be DBP but I can easily make it available in DarkGDK. So yeah, you guys won't be left out.

Edit
By the way, in case anyone is wondering, with presets, the wheels will be placed according to the size of the vehicle. The wheels are not in one predetermined place. The presets just make everything easier, but don't take away the ability to configure the vehicle. The code up there for the current demo is now dated as you will have to at least call two commands to create a vehicle:

Once you create a preset vehicle, you will be able to configure the vehicle with commands like:

Of course, that's only five out of the 62 commands for configuring your vehicle. That's right, sixty two commands you can use for configuring your vehicle. I'm also considering adding in special vehicle types, like hovering vehicles (ghost type vehicle anyone?)

Those are just a few ideas right now. I'm also going to add in flying vehicle support soon enough.

Edit 2
Just as an fyi, the vehicles perform more accurately when their mass is up to a realistic amount. In the demo the vehicles mass was only about 10kg I think. If you set the vehicles mass up to 750kg, you get much more realistic results. I also found you can power slide with the hand brake when the mass is up. So I've been preoccupied zooming around... hah.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 05:36 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 05:42
Alright, I updated the demo in the first post. It now has a very light vehicle (10kg) and a very heavy vehicle (750kg). The vehicle now reacts much more realistically. If you get a bit of speed and turn whilst using the hand brake (space) you will power slide. The vehicle no longer jerks forward so violently since it is now trying to actually move something as opposed to 10kg. Hopefully you'll get a better idea of how this plugin will handle with vehicles now

Edit
And no, that small weak vehicle in front of you is not a motorcycle. That is simply a small four wheeled vehicle (I know I know, you can't see the wheels. I promise you will soon, though).

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 13:10
Quote: "Sure. I don't see why not. My primary focus will be DBP but I can easily make it available in DarkGDK. So yeah, you guys won't be left out."

Nice =)

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 17:40
You sir, are awesome. Been waiting for some kind of Havok physics wrapper for DBP for years now.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 18:09
Outstanding stuff.

Don't forget GDK.Net. It could use a boost in the physics department.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 18:42 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 18:44
Quote: "Don't forget GDK.Net. It could use a boost in the physics department."

Doesn't GDK.net cost money? If so, I'm not sure how I'd be able to.

A little update, I have three preset vehicles in right now. Their commands are:

If you don't modify any data, the two wheeled controls like a motorcycle, the four wheeled vehicle controls like the one in the demo (just a car), and the six wheeled vehicle controls like a three ton armored monster. It'd be useful for very heavy vehicles. Note that you can modify these presets via commands since these will be part of the vehicle data command set. So I guess you'll be able to reset the number of wheels and completely modify them, but in that case you're better off starting from scratch.

Also, I'm considering just making a vehicle editor application to be released with this, complete with a testbed so you can rapidly prototype them. I'm not sure yet, though.

Edit
Another thing that I remembered - I'm going to be modifying the structure of the vehicle commands a little. I'm going to be adding in flying vehicles and vehicles that hover (think halo 2's ghost/wraith/specter) They will all, however, have the camera commands able to be used on them so you won't have to mess with any camera stuff. Which is actually really nice, as it works great and you can get it done.

Oh, you can also modify the cameras. Aka - their position, their position when at low speed, their position when at high speed, their following distance, their speed at which they zoom up to the vehicle, and so on. They are really quite nifty.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 19:42 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 19:43
Quote: "Doesn't GDK.net cost money? If so, I'm not sure how I'd be able to."

Not sure how that would all work, but I bet someone who does know would be willing to chime in. GDK.Net is kind of like the misfit of the family, and doesn't seem to get much attention yet. Projects like this could really help give it a much needed boost.

Will you be charging anything for this at some point? I know I'd pay a bit based on what I've seen so far.

This combined with BlitzTerrain? I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 20:05 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 20:06
Quote: "This combined with BlitzTerrain? I'm salivating just thinking about it.
"

Did I say anything about that yet?

Kaedroho and I are working on implementing BlitzTerrain into this so you can do that. It'll be just like any other rigid body command except it will be "xeno make rigid body static terrain" and then you can either go with just that, or specify the sectors and LOD level.

Edit
As for selling, I'm not sure. I may or may not, but I don't actually know if the Havok license permits me to do so. Plus I wanted to attempt to revive the Blackout project and use this for character control, then the plugin I'll be working on next (wrapper for RakNet (Unreal Tournament 3 uses this)) for networking.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 20:10 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 20:13
Unlike terrain engines such as Advanced terrain, If you use BlitzTerrain with XenoPhysics you don't need to create any objects for physics. XenoPhysics accesses the BlitzTerrain internal structures and calculates collision from them without needing to create an object. Huge RAM and FPS saver.

PS: How did you find out about this? I haven't said anything about it either.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 20:45 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 20:54
Alright I have a new very small demo showing the motorcycle. The rotations of the chassis are a little abrupt at the moment, but bear with me, it'll be smooth by release.

Anyways, I started you pretty close to the ramp. If you go back and get more speed, you get more height obviously. It's actually quite fun. You can also see the suspension in action here a little more than the previous demos (you actually see the results of the springs on the vehicle working! haha)

Anyways, this demo is JUST the motorcycle. Keys are:

This vehicle was created using this code:

Note - as with before, you need the latest DirectX redistributable. You can download the required dll here

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 22:51
the motorcycle demo is fun i just wish there was a reset button for when the cycle ends up on it's side so i didn't have to restart the app. anyway, good stuff!

also, i dont think kistech knew this was gonna combine w/ blitzterrain, just hoped. and, he's not alone

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 22:58
Oh, yes. It'll definitely happen, one of the reasons he was doing this was for OpenFPS, and that uses a lot of terrain...

forever loading...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 23:02 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 23:09
Quote: "i just wish there was a reset button for when the cycle ends up on it's side so i didn't have to restart the app."

I was thinking that I should have implemented that before posting the demo, haha. I'll get a command up. I think "xeno vehicle reorient ID" will do just fine. I'll soon have more stuff to show.

Edit
Quote: "combine w/ blitzterrain"

It's not going to combine with it, they can just utilize each other. So it's more so a collaboration than a merging.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 00:36 Edited at: 10th Dec 2009 00:42
Quote: "PS: How did you find out about this? I haven't said anything about it either."

No one let it slip, I just started drooling over the prospect of an outstanding terrain engine, combined with such an outstanding physics engine. The numerous game ideas started to flood in at an astonishing speed..

Now that the cat's out of the bag...

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!!!

[edit]
Tried the demo. LOVED it.
Fell through the ground after landing a big jump. Other than that, no problems really spotted.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 01:09
Quote: "Fell through the ground after landing a big jump. Other than that, no problems really spotted."

First time I heard that one O.o I'm kinda curious as to why it would do that...

Anyways, I'm adding in commands to get wheel positions and rotations now. So you'll be able to just position your wheels easily.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 01:19
Quote: "First time I heard that one O.o I'm kinda curious as to why it would do that..."

For what it's worth, I turned around and went all the way to the edge of the terrain to start my run at the ramp.

Try it a couple of times and you might be able to duplicate it. It could just be I landed on an edge and it slipped through or something. Not sure.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 01:24
Quote: "Try it a couple of times and you might be able to duplicate it."

I haven't been able to. When I do it mine just flips over, reminding me I have to make a reorient command.

Quick Update
You can now get wheel positions and rotations by calling these commands:

Wheels update to show the suspension in use. You can see the wheels going up or down depending on what you did. For instance, in the demo above, when I implemented these commands the motorcycles wheels would go up on impact after landing.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 01:30 Edited at: 10th Dec 2009 01:31
I haven't been able to do it again. Powersliding near the edge is fun, until you fall off..

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
This plug-in looks really nice. Any chance it'll support multithreading?
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 02:03 Edited at: 10th Dec 2009 03:12
Quote: "This plug-in looks really nice. Any chance it'll support multithreading? "

Already does

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 17:30
brilliant! Any time frame in mind? Or a demo/pre release? I just really can't wait to try this out and it its into my current project perfectly xD

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 18:27
I think it's going to fit into a LOT of projects perfectly.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 19:05
Quote: "brilliant! Any time frame in mind? Or a demo/pre release? I just really can't wait to try this out and it its into my current project perfectly xD"

I don't want to give any solid release dates, but it should be available (an early version) relatively soon. I only have to get constraints and triggers implemented, then I can release a basic version. Ragdolls will be after those and in a second release as I plan on spending quite a bit of time on that (and require a rigged model to try out the ragdolls on...). But as is, I'm going to see if I can't get ragdolls integrated with a single command. I think it is possible, but who knows. I'll have an entire command set for them either way. Then I'll also have a command set for animation commands (animated ragdolls anyone?)

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great! I've also been struggling trying to get dark physics to destruction and I like Havok's Destruction. http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=havok-destruction
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 22:43
Quote: "Then I'll also have a command set for animation commands (animated ragdolls anyone?"

Would this possibly lead to a situation where you could create any model (as long as the bones and such are all named the same) and apply a set of standard animation to them?

It would be so nice to use motion capture files on animated ragdolls.

Make your character with all the right bone names, and just drop it in.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 23:16 Edited at: 10th Dec 2009 23:25
Quote: "Would this possibly lead to a situation where you could create any model (as long as the bones and such are all named the same) and apply a set of standard animation to them?"

Yes.

Havok Animation provides many great tools for animations and ragdolls. I'm going to see if I can't just extract animations out of objects from DBP so you won't even have to use the Havok exporter for 3ds max/xsi/maya. I'm sure it's possible, so I'm not too worried about that.

Quick Update

I'm going to add in a few commands for mesh simplification. You'll be able to specify a simplification percentage to the plugin and it will simplify your meshes to optimize in game performance. Please note this doesn't affect your visual model, only Havok's representation of it.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 00:11
Dude you are a legend, I was just going to start work on a havok wrapper, but now I don't have to

Keep up the awsome work

Yours
N3wton

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 02:36
This looks awesome!

Newton physics feels too complicated, and DarkPhysics feels broken. Might this fill the gap?

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 02:47
Quote: "Newton physics feels too complicated, and DarkPhysics feels broken. Might this fill the gap? "

Well, it's as easy as Dark Physics if not more so. It also supplies you with state of the art physics technology. So I don't know, I think it might fit your criteria for filling in the gap n_n

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 09:18 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 09:19
Also with darkphysics you have to install the physx drivers ( around 30mb ) which is annoying if you want to distribute a game, and as you say newton is just to complicated and you also have to include the newton.dll along side your project (which isn't to bad) with this physics wrapper will we need to include and large driver packages or extra dll's with our project?

I've tried the demo and it worked fine, but I have all the havok libs ect installed on my pc from when I was using it with Irrlich.

Yours
N3wton

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 10:46
Quote: "Newton physics feels too complicated, and DarkPhysics feels broken. Might this fill the gap? "

Exactly what I thought too.

Quote: "I've tried the demo and it worked fine, but I have all the havok libs ect installed on my pc from when I was using it with Irrlich."

I've just tried it on my laptop which doesn't have any games or Havok sdk's installed and the demo ran fine for me. Guess no extra files are needed.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 11:10
NICE!

Thanks for letting me know

So lets get this dll released

Yours
N3wton

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
This, is, NICE!

Get a release out soon!, demo ran well for me and i had never heard of havok before so i had no related files installed .
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 11:39
I feel like im posting to much but I'm really excited lol, just been reading through the commands, and can you add vehicle gets

e.g

xeno get vehicle velocity ID
xeno get vehicle turning angle ID

ect...

That way we can implement gears and stuff

also, when I'm driving the vehicle after accelorating if i let got of all keys it stops quite quickly then starts going backwards. so the above commands could help debug

Yours
N3wton

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 11:43
@ Xarshi
When you have made a mesh from blitzterrain, will it be possible to edit that mesh in realtime? I'm just about to make a start on the Terrain Modification commands.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 11:53 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 11:56
Quote: "I feel like im posting to much but I'm really excited lol, just been reading through the commands, and can you add vehicle gets

e.g

xeno get vehicle velocity ID
xeno get vehicle turning angle ID

ect...

That way we can implement gears and stuff

also, when I'm driving the vehicle after accelorating if i let got of all keys it stops quite quickly then starts going backwards. so the above commands could help debug

Yours
N3wton"

Gears are automatically implemented. There are commands for setting the number of gears and the torque that is applied. I just don't have those commands listed since there are 62 commands in total for creating vehicles. And it is a lot to type.

Quote: "also, when I'm driving the vehicle after accelorating if i let got of all keys it stops quite quickly then starts going backwards. so the above commands could help debug"

That actually shouldn't happen in the newest demo. That only happened when the mass of the vehicle was very small (eg 10kg). I updated the demo to include a 750kg vehicle which keeps on rolling for a while. It also power slides better.

Quote: "@ Xarshi
When you have made a mesh from blitzterrain, will it be possible to edit that mesh in realtime? I'm just about to make a start on the Terrain Modification commands."

Hm... That might take a little more teamwork than just getting internal structures. That would mean that my plugin would have to, every loop, check if the terrain had changed (I mean, modifying the shape every loop wouldn't be good if it wasn't necessary). I'm not sure how efficient it would be, but I think it is possible. I mean, there was that Terrain game which had real time terrain with Havok, so I actually know it is possible one way or another.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 12:42 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 12:44
Quote: "Hm... That might take a little more teamwork than just getting internal structures. That would mean that my plugin would have to, every loop, check if the terrain had changed (I mean, modifying the shape every loop wouldn't be good if it wasn't necessary). I'm not sure how efficient it would be, but I think it is possible. I mean, there was that Terrain game which had real time terrain with Havok, so I actually know it is possible one way or another."

I could make a command which takes a callback. When the terrain gets changed, the callback gets fired? I could then Program it to only update the changed parts.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 13:31 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 13:31
Quote: "I feel like im posting to much but I'm really excited lol, just been reading through the commands, and can you add vehicle gets"

Haha, your not the only one getting excited about this. Havok is my favourite physics engine.

N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 15:45 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 15:46
I hope you don't mind Xarshi but I extracted your physics dll from the demo you posted so I could have a play with the commands and get an idea of how powerful this can be, and It is AWSOME!...

I also put together a small vehicle demo showing off this great peice of work your doing...

Vehicle Demo

If you mind me doing this just say and I'll delete the attchment.

Yours
N3wton

Attachments

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 20:26 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 20:29
Nice demo N3wton.

I spawned 4000 boxes before the FPS dropped below 30fps. I'd say thats pretty impressive compared to DarkPhysics 1000 boxes at less than 20 fps without hardware acceleration. I noticed they bounce, spin and fall how they should for their weight unlike DP where they seem to feel sticky or slowmo at best.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 21:22 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 04:31
Quote: "I hope you don't mind Xarshi but I extracted your physics dll from the demo you posted so I could have a play with the commands and get an idea of how powerful this can be, and It is AWSOME!...

I also put together a small vehicle demo showing off this great peice of work your doing..."

Haha, no problem I guess. Worries me a little in the end if I were to actually plan on selling it, but I don't think I am going to either way.

Guys, that demo is not multithreaded. Just pointing that out. The demo with 1000 boxes isn't multithreaded so it won't use the optimizations and won't benefit from the speed gains. So it will be even faster, funny enough.

Oh, and you can set the amount of memory used with the simulation. So you could get some speed benefits there as well if you increase it (by default I think it is 0x200000. Maybe 0x100000 but I don't think so)

Downloading your demo now though.

Also, to everyone else, please don't extract the plugin. Not because I don't want it extracted, I just don't want to give help yet. Plus it's in an early stage. So I guess you can if you don't want help? Just know that. n_n But it's fine N3wton, I don't mind

Edit

N3wton, just so you know, Havok works in meters. 1 unit = 1 meter. So if the boxes are larger than say 1 unit, they are more than 1 meter. I noticed your vehicle controls weird which supports this case. So if you scale everything down (so the car is only about 2.5 meters/units in length) then it will run MUCH better. Just a little tip

Quick Update

I'm adding in a hovercraft type vehicle into the plugin. Think Halo's ghost. That's how this vehicle works. They may just be their own command set though, since they don't rely on much of the vehicles properties (mainly the suspension for giving it that hovering effect). But it controls quite smoothly, and I'm having some fun with it now. I'll post a demo eventually showing it working it's magic.

I would also like to point out that it is not good I find the hovering vehicles so amusing. I'm finding myself playing around with them more and more. Haha.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 15:34 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 15:34
Any idea when you'll have a alpha/beta version for us to try out? I'm pretty sure most of us here don't care about help files right now, so those wouldn't really be a problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:44:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:44:59