Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Convention Plans

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 00:32 Edited at: 1st Apr 2007 22:34
[EDIT] The full details to date are in this month's newsletter...

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_51.html#1

Hi,
I have been working with TGC to find a suitable venue for an official TGC convention. We're striving to provide a location that's convenient to as many people as possible, with good facilities at a reasonable price. An "all under one roof" solution has been located, with options to tailor the cost to personal needs. The venue is a dedicated conference centre with separate conference room, coffee lounge, dining area, bar and accommodation.

Can I ask you to post your response to the following, stating whether you would consider attending.

Venue: Leeds, West Yorkshire. 10 minutes taxi ride from the railway station. 15 minutes drive from the M62. On a direct bus route from Leeds centre. 6 miles from Leeds/Bradford airport.

Date/Duration: A weekend in October 2007 (Saturday and Sunday).

Cost:
Option 1
£59.00. Includes the 2 day convention, tea/coffee/biscuits throughout the day, 2-course buffet lunch each day. You would need to find your own accommodation, breakfast, evening meal and transport.

Option 2
£169.00. Includes all of the above, plus on-site, ensuite accommodation, breakfast and 3-course self-service evening meal. The price covers Friday evening dinner to Sunday afternoon lunch. Your only additional consideration is transport.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 01:04
Have you decided which weekend in October ?

Visit my web site for real bangin' stuff. Word.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 01:07
question, could provide a map for this exact location? i'm in the u.s. and this sounds like its in the uk

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/442/zombiesmk8.jpg
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 02:54
nope. October makes it very difficult for me. i thought we were aiming for may bank holiday anyway?

http://notmybase.com
All my base are not belong to anyone.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 05:36
Quote: " Leeds, West Yorkshire."

Quote: "i'm in the u.s. and this sounds like its in the uk"

I'm pretty sure that's in the UK

Mrs Batvink
Years of Service
User Offline
It would most likely be the weekend of 27/28 October.

May Bank Holiday isn't possible at this stage. Conference facilities get booked many months in advance.

It is in the UK, basically because TGC is a UK company and so logistically it's the only option at this time. You can check the location here
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 10:59
£169 seems like a fantastic deal, once broken down.

2 Nights accomodation with breakfast
2 3 course self service evening meals
Afternoon lunch on sunday
Entry to the con

Thats good value for money methinx, the time is perfect for me and the location is also good since i`m in Manchester, and its not long on the train.

El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 11:47
Quote: "May Bank Holiday isn't possible at this stage. Conference facilities get booked many months in advance."

hmm, in that case, is it not possible to shift it a bit towards the xmas holiday season?

http://notmybase.com
All my base are not belong to anyone.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 11:57
Will FPSC be featured in the convention?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 13:12
Since it will cost me about $2,000 US to get there and back ... I'm gonna have to pass again this year

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 13:14
Quote: "Will FPSC be featured in the convention?"

The convention has always been what people want it to be. People can always do their own thing, mix with the people who have similar interests, and come together to listen to the presenters, eat, drink and be merry.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 13:46
I think ill go, ill bring a friend if I do.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 15:33 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 15:34
It's certainly a lot easier for me to get to Leeds than it is to get to Chichester.

Add the fact that by October I'll be able to legally buy the magic pixie alcohol drinks and chances of me turning up are increased ten-fold. It’s still too early for me to say for sure but so far so good.

We are the angry mob, we read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate but we're also easily swayed!
Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 15:56 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 20:30
I wish i could come it's miles away from here though i think and i'll probably be the youngest there

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 18:46
"Mrs BatVink". Er. What?? You're really Steve's management?

Anyway, if its in October I'll almost certainly (ie 99%) be attending. I'm happy with Leeds. Its nice and central and is on the M1. Of the two pricing options, I'm happy with each. Like Mnem I think the £169 is a good price if it includes accommodation.

Personally I'd prefer the venue to be somewhere that also provide accommodation, i.e. hotel type premises, as I'm the sort of person who likes to stay in the same place as the actual convention.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
"I highly recommend Philip" (Philip)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 20:08 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 20:10
Philip, the venue houses the conference facilities, bar, bedrooms, dining room, bar, library, bookshop, chapel, and did I mention bar? It really is a one-stop shop for everything . I remember walking up and down Chichester high street at midnight, so I'm with you on the all-in-one solution.

Currently, it is also home to Mrs Batvink's car stereo facia (reception, top drawer on the left).

And yes, she is my management. Although in this case, I'm pushing her to secure this convention, I think the location, facilities and price are too good an opportunity to miss.

El Goorf, I'm reliably informed by 'er indoors that Christmas is possibly the worst time of year price-wise.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 22:13
How can we be sure that we can book a room on the day we arrive? What if all the rooms have been booked for that weekend? Or have all the rooms been reserved for the convention?
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 22:19
Quote: "Philip, the venue houses the conference facilities, bar, bedrooms, dining room, bar, library, bookshop, chapel, and did I mention bar?"

I think I speak for everyone when I say that you need to tell us whether or not this place has a bar, and when you do let us know, be sure to emphasize the fact greatly.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 22:41
@Chris Franklin_
Quote: "I wish i could come it's miles away from here though i think and i'll probably be the youngest there"

If I went, I'd VERY much doubt that!!!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 23:14
Quote: "How can we be sure that we can book a room on the day we arrive?"

In the absence of Mrs Batvink, I shall answer (and face the consequences later)...All booking will be done through Mrs B (on behalf of TGC). If you take the full-board option, all you have to do is pay up, and get there.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 00:06
we'll try to come, it sounds very fun.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 02:24
October 27th is my birthday--- does that mean I get to go for free? Including return airfare?

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 03:03
um...another question, you may have already answered this, but where do we book our rooms?

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 10:50 Edited at: 25th Mar 2007 10:52
I actully might be in the area that time of year (Yes, I live in the US, Ill be visiting Relatives). Of course right now its to early to tell, but heres to hoping.

EDIT: Oh, and I assume there is no age limit?

Battle Legacy: Online Third Person Shooter
Look for it on the WIP Board!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 11:12 Edited at: 25th Mar 2007 11:17
Option 2 sounds great to me.
You could pay £169 just for the accommodation in Chichester. This option gives us the con and feeds us for the same price ... fantastic!

Oct 27th ... four weeks after my weddingmoon, it might take some persuasion to get Mrs Scraggle on my side but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Count me in

[Edit] Perhaps Mrs Batvink could clarify the cost of the accommodation? Most of the attendees will be travelling without their partners and therefore wanting single rooms. Is the quoted price for single occupancy or is there an additional suppliment for a single room?

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 11:24
im below 20 and i live on the other side of thw world so sadly i can't come

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 13:37
Sounds like a good deal, and October is plenty of notice to get flights and transport sorted out aswell as money

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 15:11
Scraggle, the price is single room occupancy. Right now, it's all down to reaction. If it looks like there's enough people interested, it will happen. At that point, Mrs BatVink will look at the possibility of twin rooms for those prepared to share and any otheroptions available.

So if you want it to happen, please say you are interested

Quote: "but where do we book our rooms?"

If it happens, all details will be posted. But if you want a room in the conference centre, there will be a facility set up to take payment and the arrangements will be dealt with for you.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 16:47
I'm interested and I have a friend who will go too.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 16:58 Edited at: 25th Mar 2007 19:36
£169 for single occupancy at an official TGC convention ... Count me in !!!

Edited typo ... lucky it was the 'U' that I missed and not the 'O'.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 17:22
A word of caution, whenever the conventions have been announced in the past, lots of people have instantly said "im in" only to not attend later on. People who are posting really consider whether or not you will definately be able to make it before posting saying that your in. It makes it much easier to organise

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 19:57
how much is 169 pounds in american dollars

img256.imageshack.us/img256/442/zombiesmk8.jpg
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 20:03
There is not a number high enough to tell you

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 20:05
In that case, the cost is Mnemonix's stupidity divided by 100.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 20:16
Mrs. Batvink is using my girlfriend's avatar, lol. Just thought that was strange, it's a peculiar coincidence that multiple people are using a Monsters Inc. character as an avatar .

I'd love to go, I've wanted to visit the UK for ages. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for airfare, hotels, and tickets to see Arsenal play at the Emirates (I mean seriously, I'm not flying all the way to the UK and not seeing the gunners), so I'll have to go next time I suppose. It would be great if someone could produce some sort of video so those of us who can't make it could watch highlights, I'd definitely appreciate that.

Quote: "how much is 169 pounds in american dollars"

It roughly converts to twice as much in US currency, so it's something like $340. I think it's actually going to end up being slightly less than that.

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 23:26
Go to http://www.xe.com to convert any country's currency to any others. Very handy

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 00:22
I barely know all of you, but if i can gather the money for my new car in time, i'll be road tripping from merry old wolverhampton to pop in for a visit.

Oh and definately Option 2

[Looking for work]
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 00:50
That sounds sick! Too bad I'm half way across the world

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 01:06
Work and family stuff stopped me in the past attending things (plus a bit of laziness), but this year is pretty free for me.

I live in Essex so it's a good 200 miles or so to get to Leeds but I've just bought a new car so getting there is not hard, just a boring drive up A1.

I would also go for option 2.

Presumably car parking is available (and free!).

Hopefully bar is half decent and does not close early like some hotels and conference places I have had the misfortune to stay in.

Boo!
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 06:31
I wish i could go, but I'm in the US and don't have time or money to spend to get to England.

"I admire its purity, a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality"

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 07:49
same here mate. not only that i lose 50% of my spending money just to transfer.
please take as many photos as you can.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 12:51
It would be rude of me not to turn up for this one - after all, people came to mine

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Gaah, from Australia to the UK is something like a 14 hour flight, costing $2000, then 169 pounds is about $380 here, I think i'll have to pass up on this one.

Need web design help with PHP or XHTML? E-mail me!
http://veron.sitesled.com Visit Veron! Free games, programs and applications! Made in DBPRO, FPSC, and C++!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 15:04
Nick, I think you would have to be our Guest Of Honour (sorry, no cash discounts for that title)
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 16:05
Darn...!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 19:29
Can I come?

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 19:33
It'll be a tight squeeze, i'll see what i can do, what goes on at these conventions?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 22:44
Quote: "Gaah, from Australia to the UK is something like a 14 hour flight"

Are you flying by space shuttle?

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 00:09
I don't want Lee or Mike or any of the rest of the TGC gang to get big heads but their attendance is often a significant draw. We're all just geeky enough to want to pay to hear what they are up to (and see some demos too, please).

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
"I highly recommend Philip" (Philip)
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 10:16
That's actually a very good point.

I had assumed they would be attending because of this cons 'official' status but if none of the TGC gang will be there then the value of the con decreases dramatically.

I have said I will definitely be there and if there is an official TGC attendance then I will stick by that, but if I were to learn that there are to be no TGC representatives then my chances of being there would drop to 50:50.

So come on TGC, let us know who will be there and what goodies you will be showing off. You might even spark more interest if you do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:30:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:30:54