Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Dream Stealer. Concept art and screenies

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 12:57 Edited at: 26th Apr 2007 20:02
THIS SCREENSHOT SET IS OLD>>>PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO BOTTOM OF PAGE FOR UPDATE!!!

I did some reading on creative design, and it talked about how drawing every day can help you keep a creative "flow". I started doing this, not really thinking about what I was drawing, just kind of doing whatewhatever I felt like. I came up with this, then ended up making it in 3D.

It's gonna be part of the new umbra, which I think may turn into a full blown game. Anyway, comments and crit please.

(modelled in maya 1000polys, concept art coloured in photoshop.)

EDIT, just before anyone says anything, yes I gave it eyes in the concept art, but decided it would be cooler if it was scripted only to react to sound. If you don't shoot, or make any noise, they won't know where you are, although they will kill anything that makes a noise. Also working on making the player "black out" if they get too close!

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 13:45
that would be awesome!
Quote: "was scripted only to react to sound. If you don't shoot, or make any noise, they won't know where you are, although they will kill anything that makes a noise. Also working on making the player "black out" if they get too close!"

go to:
www.freewebs.com/futurefps
www.chainoffreedom.com.piczo.com
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 14:16
That's something I would hate to meet in the dark.
Nice work.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 14:30
Everything you make has a "Tim Burton-esque" quality to it. Nice work; I'll be following this as well.

-Keith

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 14:47
This guy gives me the creeps Butters,please DONT ever send him to me at night...

*Doesnt make noises anymore because "it" might come*

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want my honest opinion, it sucks even the FPSC Zombies are better. Lovecraft not

You did ask for critics too to reply?
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 15:05
Quote: "If you want my honest opinion, it sucks even the FPSC Zombies are better. Lovecraft not
You did ask for critics too to reply?"

uh?

Quote: "comments and crit please.
"

So yes I did ask for critics, but yours whas not a criticism, it was just an opinion. A criticism would offer reasons for your opinion. what I'm trying to say is:

It's cool if you think it sucks man, but it would be helpful to me if you could explain why it sucks. You know, what don't you like about it? I'm guessing, textures on the legs, and side of torso, and perhaps, if your fussy, the pointyness of the neck.

Other's,

Cheers. There are a few more characters on the way, so keep checking back in!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 15:09 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 15:09
Sorry for double post, but, here's another creature I just finished modelling/texturing. He's having all sorts of problems with animation at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get there.

I think the UV mapping is pretty good on this... theres very little stretching, appart from aroung the sides of the legs, and on some of the fingers.

The texture is "stone golem", but I'm gonna do a hench muscly skin tone one as well.

How'd you like this one komet?

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 15:19 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 15:20
OK, where to start? The texture looks poor, the character is unrealistic so if you want people to overlook that then it needs a wow effect, better texturing. Some arms would be good then it could have clawlike hands... if you like. The wide open legs reminds me of something the AUP forbids me talk about, so I won't.

The teeth look promising

Overall, I think I saw watercolour paintings like this when I was in nursery school, it's about that level.

Second character... rock like texture, looks comical, it's better than the first character I guess, still sucks though... sorry.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 15:23
Komet,why dont you try doing it yourself better?you dont seem to be statisfied quickly

Anyway,i think it looks rather cool,though the second one is more something you find in RPG's

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 15:24
Nice monsters.
Love the Dream Stealer.

And the Golem is also a killer.
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Komet,why dont you try doing it yourself better?you dont seem to be statisfied quickly"

I don't model, also it was not me asking for feedback/critics was it?

You want me to lie and say oh I think it's rather cool, when I obviously don't?

Butters, look at the film Alien and some fantasy art for further ideas like on this site http://www.imaginistix.com/
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
The concepts are great Butters,love the characters.
How are you texturing these?
The dream stealer would look great with a muscle fibre texture,make him kinda raw and bloody.
The stone guy looks like he's kinda made in two parts,as the texture splits at the waist,almost gives the impression he is wearing pants where he should be one lump of rock.
I would be up for texturing these for you if you give me a few days,busy with real life work just now.
Why dont you answer e-mails?
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 16:32
Jesus people! Lol
Quote: "the character is unrealistic "
From Komet
I mean seriously, the whole point of these characters is that they are surreal, i mean i dont think you should comment unless you've played Umbra, which in my opinion was a fantastic game, both parts! Those characters both fit right in with the general theme of Umbra, especially the dream stealer, its got this kind of distorted, horrifying look to it which i think is exactly what umbra needs! (that was a long sentance) And yes i do think they are great characters, i like the way you have thought about not only the model and the way the character looks, but the AI too!

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 16:34
Oh i forgot, i love the way the dream stealer reacts to sound, but maybe it should have ears then

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 17:16
I like um. I think there could be more definition in the textures to highlight body folds and creases. Outta curiosity, is the mouth for the Dream Steeler the same texture I did for the Armored Drone for your alien character?
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 18:39 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 18:44
SO, you'll be glad to know that I'm not one of those people who get criticised and runs of in a hissy fit.

Komet, I think your statement that the character is unrealistic is unfounded. Its a fantasy character, it can look how it wants. Also the lack of arms was deliberate, I've done claws a bunch of times before, and I wanted something orignal : a monster that could hold no weapons, but was still deadly.

I do however agree that
Quote: "The texture looks poor"
Quote: "and there could be more definition in the textures"
. SO back to the drawing board, redid the UV to take out the seam down the side, and got going adding the ribs etc. Here's an update:

The second one I'm only just starting out on... not sure about the diamond chainmail stuff though. Before anyone says it, yes there is a Massive seam between shoulders and arms, but if it was all one piece it'd stretch real nasty when he waved his arms about!

and finally...

lets have a look at your texturing skills Komet:
click the love ---->
how would you feel if I posted
Quote: "Overall, I think I saw watercolour paintings like this when I was in nursery school, it's about that level"
in response to your thread?

EDIT
Quote: "umbra? sounds like a desease."

it means "shadow". Sounds nothing like any desease I've ever heard of.

misfit44
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 19:06
Butters u make me laff, i love the stuff u make u never fail to impress. keep up the amazing work

-Mis-
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 19:48
Awesome stuff butter I reall like the Dream Stealer! Not too hot on the golum thing because it doesn't look as creepy, but it's still good work. As for the textures, the dreamstealer one looks better now, but maybe add some blood dribbling out the mouth? Maybe some splatters on the body even. I love your style man!
Paul

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 20:02 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 20:03
The Dream Stealer should play perfectly in Umbra. Very creepy indeed. I just want to say one more thing.

[WHISPER]Shhhh...... be very quiet![/WHISPER]

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 20:05
Ok everybody, stop jumping on Komet! Betters asked for opinions and Komet gave his. We all know that opinions are like butt holes. Some stink really bad.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 20:44
@Butter Fingers

I see you have crawled out of your cave to show us your models. I just want to use this as an excuse to get your attention. Can you email me some time Butters?
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 20:55 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 20:56
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 20:59
Guys...let's kill off the elementary school crap.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 21:01
Quote: "Guys...let's kill off the elementary school crap."

Roger that squire

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
At the end of the day if Butter fingers had held off posting these until he had finished the texturing job,which really hasn't taken that long to do,these models would have been met with the gasps of awe they so rightly deserve.
I am not for jumping on someones case simply for being honest in their opinion,tho' maybe the criticism could have been a little less harsh.
Butters, the Dream stealer now looks awesome.
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 21:06 Edited at: 26th Mar 2007 21:49
really cool,the sound reaction would be awesome, but the dream stealer stands kind of strange not a bad thing it adds to the creepiness. umbra is the darkest part of the shadow. the war ogre guy has no texture on his feet.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 21:50
Thanks guys,

Rolfy, to be honest, I didn't like how komet made his comments, but without him I wouldn't have improved it!

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2007 21:56
looks cool, really does! good work, the rib cage is a good addition

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I didn't like how komet made his comments,"

Yes, every once in awhile for no reason I can work out I'm horrible to someone and fairly undiplomatic with it. I should have been more subtle, appologies to you and also opposing force.

Are you going to use the characters in a game of your own?

If so, I suppose you can only use them the once because of the injuries they have, more than one of each appearing all with exactly the same injuries might look odd?

With the first character if you could make it with bulging veins all over it's body it will make it even more scary, well possibly.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 06:01
I love the dream stealer, but the orge,still feels like doom1-2 to me, but what do i know? great work better than what i can do, thats all that matters lol

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 07:28
Quote: "SO, you'll be glad to know that I'm not one of those people who get criticised and runs of in a hissy fit."

My baddd!

Looks creepily awesome.

*Not to self: DO NOT take drugs that butters had anything to do with...if these are concepts...I wonder what his halucinations would be like.

big..hahaha..you said big!
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 09:16
The dream stealer looks great; although you should remove the blood from the shoulders. The blood on the end of the stubb arms indicate that it once had limbs; which is no way near as scary. You should remove the blood and pull that in; so it has no stubs at all; just one continuous body.

And yer you should get rid of that little black square on its groin; looks a bit...strange..

Good luck with your next Umbra! (is Lucid already released, or is this media for it?)
Tyrano

The Kalspher forums are now open!
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2007 20:08 Edited at: 27th Mar 2007 21:08
yeah i agree i think the blood should not be on the dream stealer
also the WAR OGRE has a cool texture for his pants, it really
looks like cloth
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Butters , If I may....
FIrst off , i think the concept for the first oe is really brilliant, perhaps you should think of a intense idle animation for the character, maybe a cycle of snapping its jaws(remind me of a venus flytrap) and then alternating cocking its head from side to side to listen.

The golem itself is great, the only and I do mean only problem I can see is the texturing, I know you're busy with it, and that its not finished, but the textures are simply too vivid.
Tone them down, make them more muted, concentrate on the undertones, for the opgre, perhaps add a secondaary layer to the map , regular gray granite to diffuse some of the intense colors and variations you currently have.

For t efirst character, do multiple layers, lighter and darker, think noise layering in MAX textures, overlay the textures with one another, to provide some variation.
For instance using a regular gray mottles noise texture (Cellular Pattern ) and overlaying that with the skin texture you're using currently woudl add variation and would improve aesthetics of the overall look by making it seem as if it has some blotches,more natural, or small parts of atrophied skin on it.

anyway, Ina nutshell , I would suggest using lots of layers and to try and make the overall look too vivid, this detracts from the overall look of the model.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 00:21
Good ideas, but the texturing needs work. I think it's because you make the textures from pictures, and not make them in Photoshop, etc. The first texture for the ogre was a good idea, could be touched up a bit though. The second contrasted too much, the arms were unrealistic and the gloves weren't too great. As for the dream eater, I have every confidence in your scripting abilities, though the wide open legs (as Komet said) remind me of something that the AUP forbids. Second one looks great though.

Just so you know, I'm a big fan of your work, so this is all constructive criticism.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 00:37
No seriously guys, I would much rather you said I love it, then gave a bunch of technically constructive crit, than said, I love it marry me etc.

So I started trying to add some more layers to the dream stealer. I'm getting a veiny one, so he seems to have protruding viens (with bumb map would be amazing!). I also tried adding some grainyness to it, but I'm not sure. It certainly looks more "fasionably grunge", but I'm thinking of doing a specular for it, and making him slimyish.

I'll update soon....

PS, applied the polar bear fur shader to the ogre, and he makes a wicked yeti....but at 200000polys... i think not.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 01:21 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 02:31
I took it all on board, went back to the texture, and added a bunch of new layers and stuff... so.. here it is..

(oh and I couldn't resist doing an advert...lol)

EDIT++
The seam on the front/sides is now sorted... bit late for a render though, it's past my beddie bies time!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the 'dead skin' style texture Butters,this guy is looking so evil and sick now,real scary
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 02:14
love it man.
just a quick crit.
In the 3rd screeny on your most recent post, i noticed how the stomach texture and the side texture have way to much of a seam. Just feather the edges of those a bit, and you should be fine.

-Aaron

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 02:24
Good first and third shots (great job on the third, actually) but the war ogre texture isn't that good. Love the model though.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 04:45 Edited at: 28th Mar 2007 05:11
he said the seam was fixed, the dream stealer looks even better.
ANovella
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 06:04
Butters if I saw this "thing" in the middle of night I would definilty have something to clean in the morning

[img]
http://a404.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_cdc912b216799df63bac3faa0e5086c3.png
width=500 length=120 [/img]
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 10:21
Thanks guys, "i want to game", as a point, I edited my response about the seam in response to inspire's post.

This is possibly one of my best texture jobs, and I think I'm even done yet. I think the back could do with some protruding spine bumps.. it's too smooth. There also needs to be more definition in the legs.

Anyway, I'll update again soon. Please keep the ideas and crit coming. Without it, I never would have improved the model/texture this much!

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the Lucid ad. These are coming along quite nicely. Maybe spruce up the teeth a bit next?
smith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 11:46
Looks swcheet as man...
What do you use to model?

big..hahaha..you said big!
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Anyway, I'll update again soon. Please keep the ideas and crit coming. Without it, I never would have improved the model/texture this much!"

Exactly... It's looking really good now to say the least.

Two more proposals.

1/ Veins on the body, see attached image.

2/ Give the head some more shape, maybe a bit like a type of dinosaur, make the eyes jet black.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 11:59
Errant, thanks man, I'm really proud of how this is coming along (I guess when you spend an hour drawing only barely visible viens on yur textre yuo become quite attached to the thing...). I'm kicking myself, because I didn't leave much space for the teeth UV, also they all face the same way. I'm thinking I might rotate a few and flip their textures, so that when spruced up they'll look a bit more individual.
Cheers for the feedback.

Smith
I do all my modelling in Maya 6.5 (most stable for direct X). It's rigged and animated in Maya too. I use photoshop CS2 for the texture, and took most of the pics on my camera, aside from the ribcage,which is a stock image from a site I'm a member of (paid).

I'm just about to get some in game renders...

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Butters, now this is looking both more realistic and a lot scarier, If you continue along this path of texturing and you put in the time and effort doign the small "Grunt" jobs, it eventually pays off in the end.
The only other thing, after thinking on it for a while is perhaps instead of the teeth you have currently , you shoudl consider making them curve inwards.
(Towards the inside of its mouth, Real predators.)

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 15:38
We Know that the Model and Texture are coming along great but what about the Scripting? And Also as posted before if it uses it's hearing it might have ears?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:50:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:50:46