Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Underwater Forest/City - Retro Shoot-Em-Up

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 01:04 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 20:34
The example demonstrates the basic frame work of a horizontal shooter. The player is flying past a forest which is being flooded by water. (ie Ballistic Blaster Style) Looks a bit like an old psygnosis game which I still can't recall the name of.

This WIP represents about two hours work and as been created largely from (95%) cut-pasted tidbits from the PlayBasic example pack. The art work is stock PB artwork. The Tree.jpg (Blink) and the ship is from the Trillion art pack that was given to us like two years ago. (I forget the guys name now! - I must put that together at some point!)

Looking at the first picture, it's probably difficult to see just what is going on in that shot. Basically it's 3 layers. Scrolling backdrop, 250 rotating sprites and two screen sized post processing effects to create for the flooding effect (Variable Alpha & sine wave - Creative - not ). The demo is locked at 45 fps btw - it runs quite nicely..

Written in PB1.62..

Thesius XIII tech demo on youtube

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 01:06 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:30
Update 001

Here's another Thesius XIII update. The main changes are that buildings in the foreground. These are on the near plane, so the fighter flies in and around them. The idea is that the tech is sort of simulating an underwater city environment. The water line is bobbing up and down with sine wave displacement. Don't ask me what the forest backdrop represents now. It's just whatever media I had sitting around thrown together. The buildings from the Trillion art pack also. (Which for the life of me i can't recall who submitted - any ideas ?)

Some of the builds are transparent, some are solid. The player sort of flies between them. The score and the health meter are drawn direct to the screen, but I probably should post process them also. Also need something to show the top of the water more clearly. Anyway, here's a few pictures of the current running demo.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 01:07 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:30

Attachments

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 02:27 Edited at: 13th May 2007 12:11
Just some ideas..

One of the best sideways scrolling shoot-em-ups on the PS1 was G-Darius.

You could have a 2nd player on the same screen at the same time to help you fight.

You could capture some of your enemy and make them fight for you. Way more interesting than your normal drops and powerups.

The bosses came on screen as full 3D.

You could go different routes to reach the final boss. making the game replayable.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bevhome/disfor1.htm

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 07:42 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 20:35
Thesius XIII Pic #3

This one has 150 sprites, some explosion animations + full screen cross fade running in & out. Basically the drawing process is done, although i'm going to change how the buildings work. Temped to make a little dropping tool to layout some level, but I really can't afford the time. I'm not intending on spending a much time on this, it's just showing that with a little bit of thought you can make some interesting stuff. Even in PB1.62.

Attachments

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 11:54
@GatorHex: it's my favourite arcade game (the Darius II that use 2 screens :p) Give ideas from this game to Kevin is a good idea

@Kevin: I like the style of the game background. Keep us informed on the progress

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:54 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 20:35
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:56 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 20:36
Update V002

Previous shots of this were a more a proof of concept than a game demo, ie. while it moved you couldn't actually play. Today my aim is to get the basic game running. So far we have player controls / simple weapons / particles. Next comes a alien frame work. I'm not really writing much, more grabbing bits of AXIS framework and customizing it to suit.

While traditionally these type of games had very snappy digital control mechanisms via the keyboard, or digi joystick/joypad. This time around I wanted to try something different (for me at least). So I've been experimenting with mouse control. While it's hard to tell how it'll feel while playing, i'm pretty happy with the result on it's own.

pic #4 (attached)

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 04:57 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 20:37

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 07:24 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:50
Update V002b

This shot shows the ship alien controller + alien bullet controller running. It's a bit hard to make out due to virtually everything being alpha'd in the scene.. for no other reason than, cause I can .

Also, the tech now has full pixel perfect (rotated/scaled) collision between player and aliens & alien bullets, and course between player bullets to aliens.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 19:53 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:31
Update V004

Finally getting back to this demo. Current tasks are building an environment manager & level loading frame work. I can't say a lot of thought is going into it, but the idea is to have a open set of document that the level designer could customize to build new levels.

Bellow you can see another fairly samey looking couple of shots but this time there's a basic version of the environment manager running. The manager stores the passive scenery objects in the world. It's job is to show what objects that are in view at whatever position the player is within world. It also handles perspective projection of the objects, so the scene is a little more accurate depth wise.

I've fine tuned the player a bit more, mainly how it acts when you collide with alien objects. So now it kinda feels like there's real impact them you hit something and vice versa. Also, since scenery objects can be in front of the player, the engine will alpha's foreground objects out, so you can still what's going on behind them. Which is what the shot's bellow are trying to show.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 19:54 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:32
pic 8 - You can see the player/aliens behind alpha'd out full screen buildings

Attachments

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2007 22:30
Hi
Nice shots but there is in my opinion, one big problem.
Player + monsters + projectyles are too merged with the environment/background.
This can be difficult for people (when action become fast) to see correctly what can be dangerous for player or not...
You may give more brightness for player, monsters and projectyles.

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 10:06 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:34
Again, The pic's above are really just proof of concept, they don't represent any real world situation. Within game conditions it's unlikely you'd ever have more than one maybe two foreground layer. Due to colour lose from successive filtering passes. just want to demonstrate what the frame work is capable of.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 18:54 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:02
Update V008

I've been tinkering away this the past couple of afternoons on clean up duty. A lot of this was simply throw together to get something on screen quickly. So i've set up the program to start, play and finish a a very basic game. Calling it a game is bit of overstatement really, while you can play, and die, the aliens are user generated at this point. Ie. press F1 to get attacked.. So I think that can be this afternoons little task.

For aliens, i'm just going to throw in something to spawn convoy types at pre determined points throughout the level. The spawning i think i'll making fairly random. So while they're generated once you reach point X, perhaps their origin, direction, or number could differ. Some objects could have predetermine paths, behaviors though. Which I think would make a for a better mix of game play in terms of the replay factor. It's a difficult genre to make replaying not so samey thought.

Anyway, here a video of the demo running. The quality of video is horrible (captured on my little digital camera that's why - which needs LOTS of light of get a clean image.. ) , but you should be able to get some idea of what it looks like running in my secret lair. Spooky

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 18:57 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:34
Pic

In this pic i'm just toying with a lazer beam type effect.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2007 21:05 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:35
Mock Up V010

Had less than couple of hours to invest on this today, which was spent trying to find some alien artwork so I can at least have a few different aliens types for the mock up level. Annoyingly the trillion pack is incomplete and really only comes with the player ship and the few buildings you see here. It'd be great if it had ships, at least then they match the style somewhat. In this picture i'm just trying some other tidbits i found sitting around. I had to change the perspective slightly so that the crab like ships (on the floor) appear to be walking on the ground within the scene. But ya get that.

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 15:12
Looks damn cool!

The ship there was drawn by Pincho Paxton, not sure if he did the whole media pack or just provided the ship though.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 16:53 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:35
Ahh, Pincho Paxton that's the one - Cheers Van !

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 18:17
@Kevin -
That video was awesome. Completely incredible display of the power of PB. I must say though, you should REALLY REALLY use Fraps. Your video quality would be so much better, and include sound. I still use the free version in all of the videos that I capture.

Come see the WIP!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 18:25 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:36
Yeah, tried a number of them. They work well with Direct 3D, awful with direct draw (1->2fps). Which is what this demo is using. So i'm stuck with the crappy camera

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 17:32 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:37
Update V011

Previously the game played from a fixed view. It was fixed in order to keep the water alpha/wave illusion working. As if the camera move up (above the water height) for example, then this would break the water/effect. Since demo it was set up to draw the world in cross section.

So In another rather whimsical edit session today, been experimenting with expanding the a players play area to be higher than the screen. This not only means adapting the scenes perspective, but it changes the feel of the controls since their mouse based. Which i'm not so sure i like atm.

While I like the perspective change (even though it took a little longer than I wanted) it breaks the original water illusion. Since it was plane masked in front of the camera. The problem is that the player can now move from within the water to above it and vice versa . When your above it, we need to render the top. Which creates few little gottcha's, the result (when in this mock up) does seem worth the effort. So i can't complain too much.

pic attached

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 20:52 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:38
And after a few more tweaks, you can now move from above to bellow and vise versa

Bellow Water

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 20:52 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:39

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 22:34 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:41
Update V012

With each edit session this example is slowly transforming from a tech demo into a playable game. The past few sessions i've been implementing some bonus stuff like a front end to the demo, plus the core nuts and bolts of some basic behaviors for the objects. There's only four alien objects (that's all the gfx i have ). Which are the outrigger (the big star thing), crab (green things under water), spin mines and homing missiles. In keeping with the cut and paste nature of the demo, the homing missiles code was cut and paste from one of clever coder programming challenges. Initially the missiles were classed as bullets, which meant you couldn't shoot them. This seemed a bit too unfair though, so they've been re-classed as alien objects. Which feel betters, but still rather challenging to avoid them !

In the shot you can see the homing missiles and that i've been experimenting with the player bullet count. So now you fire 5 bullets at once. The extra bullets aren't aligned to the ship, they're just spawned at some fixed offset. It's just to get an idea of the potential load the player might place on the demo if they had more weapons. I've got some weapon pick up graphics that i might as well throw in to complete the frame work.

I really wouldn't mind making a full level out of it, being pretty happy with the feel of it, even though it's impossibly hard ATM really shouldn't waste too much more time on it now though, so maybe later...

http://www.playbasic.com

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 17:39 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:42
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2007 09:11 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:43
Update

This project is still alive, but on hold while the we re-release the PlayBasic V1.62c demo. Once that's done, I should hopefully have time to Finnish off this demo also.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 02:59 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:45
Thesius XIII Forest Blast - Download

Decided to release source code as is. Basically it's the game frame work, without a real level to play . I've decided to release it now, as it's been some 3/4 weeks since I touched it and given that i'm currently bogged down updating old the demo/media packs. This could have easily fallen by the way side. So here it is.

The code was written in PlayBasic 1.62/1.63. Feature wise it only uses a handful of PB effects, namely pixel perfect collision, variable and alpha 50 blend modes (sprites and box) and Alpha colour addition for sprite flashes. If you removed the 'linked list' controls in the particle library, it'd compile and run really old versions of PB also. I.e. PB V1.40 possibly as low as probably V1.30

This demo was largely created from cut-pasted tidbits from the PlayBasic example packs. Most notably from the AXIS demo, which is what the whole thing is based upon. The art work is a combination of stock PB artwork like Blink's forest backdrop, combined with Pincho Paxton's Trillion art (Ship/buildings), combined with some elements from TheMaskedCoder's and various tidbit that were sitting in my GFX folder. I've no idea where they're from..

Have fun working it out .

Download

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 17:57 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:45
Code Update - Changes

If you've tried running the Thesius XIII source/demo in early PlayBasicFX revisions, you've no doubt run into an odd sprite doesn't exist problem. I'd assumed this was from some difference with how the sprite list is traversed in PB1.7x, but it turned out that older editions of the PB (1.63 and bellow) let you to attempt to detect impacts against sprites that didn't exist without raising an error. This is not the case in PB1.7x editions however.

Anyway, So in order to get this demo running in newer editions of PB you'll need to replace the UpdatePlayerBullets() function (found in the Player source Tab) with one provided bellow. Effectively what was happening was when a bullet left the screen, it was being deleted but rather than continuing the loop, it was falling through and hitting the SpriteHit command. There was another logic error which would occur when bullet hit an alien. Rather than grabbing the Next Sprite in the list prior to subtracting damage from the hit alien, it was doing it after it. This is no problem when the alien wasn't destroyed, by if it was, the code would end up reading a none existent sprite and popping a runtime error.

Moreover, the original source code used the SpriteImageRGB command which is obsolete in PB1.7x revisions. While it's not actually used in the demo, it's present within the source code, so you can just delete or comment out any such instances from the source and it should compile and run. When I get some time, I'll build a version of the source that will work in both editions, Which is just a matter of adding optional compilation tags.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 18:05
Quote: "Looks a bit like an old psygnosis game which I still can't recall the name of. "

You're not thinking of Bloodmoney are you?
I loved that game.
This is looking great by the way. I'm interested in the shot with the beam weapon, looks pretty cool.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 18:10 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:46
Quote: "You're not thinking of Bloodmoney are you?"

nah, I can remember that one. The one I'm thinking of you played a mech or robot thingy and climbed up a structure while it filled (a bit like Nebulus). No idea what it was now, but anyway.

Nobody In Particular
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 20:01
I remember that game, it was called Killer Game Show or something like that I think.

James Profitt
Intel Core Duo E6850, 2gb DDR2 ram, GeForce 8800GT 512mb, SB Audigy 2, Windows XP Home SP2
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 13:12 Edited at: 28th Jan 2008 13:12
Yeah, The Killing Game Show:

Also known as Fatal Rewind on some platforms. Personally I was never a big fan of Psygnosis games because they always half-assed the Atari ST graphics, they'd make these beautiful graphics on the Amiga then use some cruddy converter to get it down to the ST's humble 16 color palette. I mean the Bitmap Bros always managed to get the ST versions looking nice, I think it was just Psygnosis trying to sell the amiga.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 16:39 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:47
NIP,

ahhh, yep that's the one. Although I can't really see the resemblance now..

Van,

Quote: "Personally I was never a big fan of Psygnosis games because they always half-assed the Atari ST graphics, they'd make these beautiful graphics on the Amiga then use some cruddy converter to get it down to the ST's humble 16 color palette, I mean the Bitmap Bros always managed to get the ST versions looking nice, I think it was just Psygnosis trying to sell the amiga."

A lot of psygnosis games on the Amiga tended use dual playfield with copper palette splitting and hardware sprites combinations. Not the easiest thing to map back to fixed number of colours. The Bitmap brothers on the other seemed to stick with 16/32 colours modes so they'd drop content across most 16bit platforms.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 22:56 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 22:48
It's back again

It's been a long time between drinks for Thesius XIII, while this demo was never intended to be a 'complete' game. I'm back in the process of adding a few nick knacks so it can be used as feature game in the upcoming re-release of the PlayBasic Demo. Thesius XIII is of course a bit of shout out to a shooter I wrote some 15 years ago on the Amiga. How time flies!

Object Manager

So far, I'm just tinkering around with adding an dynamic object trigger/management layer. This object manager controls the activation of dynamic objects throughout the world. In other words the engine stores all the objects in a list definitions or triggers if you will, these objects are effectively sitting in hiatus when in this state. When the player reaches a particular point, the object manager triggers (adds) this object class to the scene, with the required properties (position, scale whatever) and hey presto the character appears where-ever you've defined in with the world space.

The level definitions looks like this. So far the parser only supports the Mine trigger, but it's all seems to be working ok. There's only 4 or 5 objects (all the GFX i've got) anyway

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 00:47
very very very nice

Come see the WIP!

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 21:32
Thesius XIII V0.16 - Bunker Objects

Slowly picking through this in my spare time. Adding a new object class bunkers and some more triggers, so that objects that are already implemented can be positioned in the level. To save design time ( even I find that funny ), objects can be triggered in two ways. Individually or via random batches. Obviously individually is where you trigger each object at a particular spot (ie. tedious), while random batches allows you to create an invisible objects that randomly spawns objects into the scene for a certain time. Anyway, here's another piccy.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 17:50
Thesius XIII V0.20

Finally got back to working on this after various interruptions. First thing on the agenda has been to change how the game engine deals with the world & screen space. The previous editions the game engine had various ways with dealing the objects. Some objects worked in world space coordinates others worked in screen space. This was causing a few issues with syncing the camera movement as well interactions with the player. Which was largely due to the hacked together origins of the demo. Ie. Cut and paste While such changes aren't slap in the face obvious (but you can notice while playing) it now means everything (hopefully) uses the same system. This means the player can now stop/speed up etc and game engine manages objects better.

The picture bellow is another fairly samey picture. It's simply showing a couple of new ship object types I've managed to scrounge up. So far they have no behaviors, but they're likely to be pattern based (See Here). Basically canon fodder. Also implementing some fragment explosions in static mines (more cut and paste ). Got a few other ideas but don't want to get two far ahead of myself.. Can always implement them later.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 11:37 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:52
Thesius XIII V0.21 - Fragments

Been tinkering with adding fragments the past couple of hours. These are particle type that generate a temp 'burnt' image when an explosion occurs. The pic bellow is overkill, stress test if you like. It won't be used at this level in the actual demo. Anyway, it's simple but effective

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 18:58 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:52
Thesius XIII V0.21 - Demo

Since the last session I've implemented most of the object types. All that really remains now is the boring level layout stuff. Since current there's no real fixed level to play, so most of it's random..

One of the new alien controllers is generic path follower (It uses this code - surprise surprise ). ATM the falcon V ships (the sorta wedge looking ones) use it. But they all use the same (odd ball) path from random spawn points. If there's time i'd like to set up the objects to run sets of paths. So you can make longer paths from smaller fragments. A bit like lego. Which is an idea from my original Thesius XII game (Amiga). In T12 the path/animation engine had controls to make random choices, even comparisons, animations triggers and loops. This enabled objects to move through common junction points at will. The idea was to give the fixed behaviors a more dynamic feel.

Anyway, I've attached a demo for you tinker with. Have fun!

Controls

Mouse = Control PLayer

F1 = Trigger random spin mines
F2 = Trigger random crabs
F3 = Trigger random path based falcons.

F5 = Slow down
F6 = Speed up

F8 = Add bullets to player

Space = Trigger Homers

Enter = Show Stat's

ESC = QUIT

Download

Built with PlayBasic V1.63v

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 17:32 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:56
Thesius XIII - Pattern Editor

Yep back working on the Thesius XIII tech demo, so figured I'd throw together a bit of pattern editor. Those with a keen eye will no doubt notice that it looks a lot like this Path Movement combined with this BackDrop. That's because it is All i've added to this version is a camera so I can move outside of the 'game' viewport. This allows paths to be defined that start and end off the screen.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 19:59 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:58
ThesiusXIII V0.25

This version is setup to play a real (well thrown together) level now. So objects are spawned through the trigger list, paths etc etc.. It's funny how much of a difference that makes, as all of sudden it's starting to feel like a real game. All be it, a very one side game at the aliens are much stronger than the player.. but ya get that

Anyway, here's a few more pic's

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 20:01 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 22:01

Attachments

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that's really nice!
I like the fire effects und fast gameplay. But at the moment the levels are only showing the power of the engine. Looking foreward to see/play the game at a state where it's showing more or less a real and well composed level

[/url]
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 14:20 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 21:55
Thesius XIII V0.26 - Source Code

This is the current 'as is' state of the Thesius XIII demo with source code. I can't really recall everything that's changed since the last demo, but this version is now playable. By that i mean all the objects have behaviors can you don't have to trigger them yourself. The only problem now is that's pretty one sided So you might want to press the F8 key a few times when you start the level. This will give you a little more fire power.

I've also include the pattern editor, which as you'll see is just hacked together form the other posted examples.

Anyway, Have fun!

Controls

Mouse = Control Player

F1 = Trigger random spin mines
F2 = Trigger random crabs
F3 = Trigger random path based falcons.

F5 = Slow down
F6 = Speed up

F8 = Add bullets to player

Space = Trigger Homers

Enter = Show Stat's

ESC = QUIT

Download

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 14:27 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 22:05
@DBer,

Thanks, didn't see your post there.

The current WIP version is coming along, there's a simple level setup. It's still very unbalanced. Don't really have any grand plan for it, other than for the new http://www.PlayBasic.com (learning Edition) example example pack.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 19:07:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 19:07:39