Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Newsletter - Issue 55 - August 2007

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 12:05 Edited at: 1st Aug 2007 12:10
The current edition of the newsletter is now available for your perusal.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_55.html

If you don't receive the newsletter in your mail as soon as it is published, you can sign up here:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=newsletter

Contents include:

Crysis cover image (interview with Tony Davis of Crytek inside)
FPSC X10 update
Latest news on the convention plans
Product updates available
2 tutorials, including a new writer in the fold.
Fantastic commercial releases made with TGC products
Advice from Lee Bamber on buying DX10 cards

and lots more...

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 12:34
Fantastic! The info on the DX cards was helpful, and I liked the interviews.

Time is ticking away.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 14:51
I read most of it, and noticed a few grammatical errors!

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 15:28
Does the absence of competition results count as grammatical errors...

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 16:05
Great finally we have Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic of course DB user 2006+ was programming AA in is plugin and thats going to be free...
Great Newsletter I really enjoyed it!

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 17:05 Edited at: 1st Aug 2007 17:11
Scraggle's tutorial got me thinking. Using a function to pass an object name as a string, not variable, and receive the object number. Very clever. The first time I saw part of his source code do that in Alchemists Apprentice I dismissed it as unnecessary, but that was before I discovered a memory leak in the dynamic media handling for my platformer engine. It turns out I was using eXtends' img load image in the FileIO to reload the particle and light halo images, even if they were already loaded. Now I've made an array like Scraggle describes there that holds a cache, so if the game tries to load an image twice so it can texture it to another object while loading a level it gets the id number of the original image, saving lots of time and memory. It even preserves images from the previous level in case the next level wants them also. Took 0.3 seconds of load times right there. Next I'm going to program it to let the cache keep growing until it has say 64 images, so whenever any level wants that image, it doesn't have to reload even it was last used 10 levels ago. Consequently levels very similar to each other in appearance will load extreamly fast. This is great because the only time big load times will break up the adventure is when for example they're going from the Fire World to the Ice World, things that don't happen very often.

This sig has been viewed times.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 18:25
Right on! I can't wait to free some time up to play with the newer versions of styx and extends. I purchased them months ago and still haven't even had a chance to use them :S

The part on the German space sim written in DBP was interesting to me, I really enjoyed it. Great newsletter Steve!

Visit the Wip!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 19:58
Excellent read BatVink, I always look forward to the first. The FPSCX10 coverage was great.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 22:06 Edited at: 1st Aug 2007 22:18
Trimersion promotional video ... okay... This looks like pure garbage. The guy was swinging his head left and right fast at one point and it didn't even respond as such. It look sluggish at best. These goofball toys never ever take off. With a 400$ sticker price, it's doomed.

I've seen this garbage before. I've seen all kinds of failed tech toys and controllers like this. None of them ever take off.

I don't think this thing will give you the response you'll be used to with a mouse and keyboard. I don't think that control combonation is going to be replaced for along time yet.

I mean, I smell a stinker here...Especially when their "product reviews" page takes you to a page of thumbnails...The only credible site I saw there was Kotaku...and it was just a snapshot of the page, with nothing other than the headline. The thumbnail features this quote "sounds promissing..." Ok, that's hardly a review, that's like they were sent the promo video and some specs...There's no hands on review there. This company lies. LOL

Ok, all that being said...It's cool that they used some TGC stuff, but don't sellout the newsletter just because they used FPSC. You don't have to promote their product saying "It's a great gadget for viewing and controlling your games using the wireless technology"...Because there's absolutely nothing to back that comment up. Have you personally had a hands on demo of this product in a FPS game such as UT2K4? I thought not, so you can't go out on a limb and say "It's a great gadget for viewing and controlling your games using the wireless technology".

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 23:43
Quote: "It's cool that they used some TGC stuff, but don't sellout the newsletter just because they used FPSC"

erm...there's no sellout. They don't even know it was featured. The point of the article is to show that FPSC is being used in all sorts of ways.
Rather like the spoof DVD cover in PC Zone if you saw it.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 00:13
I was once offered an internship at Crytek, but I didn't realise when I applied that the studio was in Germany .

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 23:33
Sorry Vink, didn't mean that as an insult. Just that, it's cool it's being used in lots of ways as you suggest. I just think that product is making alot of false claims. I just would have avoided using that particular phrase "It's a great gadget"... hehe

Did anyone listen to that podcast...What was it that we were listening to again? It sounded like a mug (multi user group) meeting from the 80's for a c64 club... Very disorganised. Hopefully they'll be more prepared for their next one and actually discuss DBP.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 16:03
it looked like they couldn't afford the rights to use a known game to advertise their product so they made a game in fpsc. The product looks a little tacky, i mean i was waiting for the buy now and get this free set of steak knives!" and it did seem a little sluggish but that could have just been the editing.

It has though inspired me to start looking into the idea of the wireless headset control system. I'm currently setting up an IPTV system for my student production group (a 24 hour stream of our shows, live/pre recorded), and I was amazed at the cool 3d desktop cube with rotation that my coder set up on our linux box. I've never actually seen it before let alone used it and I was like WHOA COOL and he was like yeah this is normal. Shows how out of the loop I am.

Anyway what I aim to have in the future is a wireless vr control system, so when I enter the administration room and don the headset, I can look around the room and see the video streams as though they were an object in 3d space. Then with the glove controllers I could grab and drag the video streams onto the timeline that is the one feed to the net.

Far fetched? not really, the control system can be set up easily to have the 3d room with the video stream objects, dragged around by a mouse. The only difference is the device I use to control it, and in this case it's a vr headset with gloves. damn that would be smooth.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 00:44
I feel that I must be an irritation and point out that it's 'proverbial' not 'preverbial'.

I never tell the truth.
That ain't a paradox.
I always tell lies is though.
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 08:50
Nice job Steve! as always it was great.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 22:58
Also, you cannot have 'googled' their location as google is not a verb, it is a pronoun.

I never tell the truth.
That ain't a paradox.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 00:30
'twas preverbial, not proverbial. Preverbial implies that I was gaining wisdom from my observations, rather than just idle gossip.
It's the poetic concept of Axial Principles.

Google (verb) to use the Google search engine to obtain information on the Internet. For example, "Mary googled for recipes."

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 01:00
Quote: "Prior Preparation and Planning, Prevents a Particularly Poor Performance."

I was taught a slightly different version of this statement!

Great newsletter, and I like the inclusion of TGC products being used for things other than games. I am sure there are many more companies using them for in house stuff but we just never hear about it. Shame.
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 16:25
Quote: "'twas preverbial, not proverbial. Preverbial implies that I was gaining wisdom from my observations, rather than just idle gossip.
It's the poetic concept of Axial Principles.

Google (verb) to use the Google search engine to obtain information on the Internet. For example, "Mary googled for recipes.""

Darn, proved wrong by a greater intelligence!

I never tell the truth.
That ain't a paradox.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:44:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:44:02