Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / V1.13 Enhancment Patch problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 18:32
I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP, and now I'm having trouble with DBC. I just installed the full Enhancment Patch, and now DBC is unable to load Midi audio files - 3D sounds are a little problematic as well, but I can get them to work.

Before, I had been using the trial of V1.13 enhanced and everything ran smoothly (well, running Midi's caused the synthesiser to set its volume to zero on the first run ). I've now gone back to DBC as supplied on the disk I bought and it runs Midi's OK, but I would like the enhanced version's additional commands.

Help?

On our way 'ome, on our way 'ome...
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 19:08 Edited at: 13th Aug 2007 19:09
I can't run midis at all!!
dont know....try a mod...
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 19:16
you know.... i never really thought about it..............
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 20:42
hmm... my old PC (which I still use ) can't load music, I just assumed it was because I didn't install all the drivers I need, but other sounds are fine.
I think I only have DB 1.12 on that anyway so I'm just wasting your time here

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was rubbish.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Robert

In case you didn't know, 3d sounds work best when the source file is mono

As far as midi, that seems odd that it won't work with enhanced. Here, I put together a small function that is a bare bones midi player using the windows api. See if it will run on your enhanced dbc. If it doesn't (and it should unless you don't have an audio card that supports midi), then something's definately weird because it wouldn't be using dbc built in midi commands, it would be using winmm.dll directly.

Just change the file name to a midi file and path on your system. I could only get it to work by including the chr$(34) (quotation marks) on the outside of the filename.

Enjoy your day.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
There are significant differences in the way that sounds/music is handled between the pre 2007 v1.13 and the v1.13 from January 2007.

I (along with at least another vet programmer) gave up on the new release of 1.13 and have reverted to the original because of the differences.

I was thinking about swapping the music and sound commands to see if that would help but I decided against that.

I'm unique, just like everybody else.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 15:50
@Latch
I tried your code but...erm... DB crashed...
It said something about memory could not be read. Any idea what that means?

@Heartbone
I don't blame you for giving up with 1.13 enhanced, I'm close to it myself. I'm thinking of installing DB twice - one just a straight install, the other with the Enhancment patch.

As I said, I want the Patch's extra commands but i also want to have in game music. Is it possible to do away with midis and use other music formats like mp3s?

On our way 'ome, on our way 'ome...
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 19:14
DB supports MP3 and some others I think.

(N-1)/n*100<n2/n-n/2+n/4*2+100
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Robert
I had version 1.12 and I used the 2002 patch for the upgrade to 1.13 Never had any problems, then again I only run DBC from windows 98

Here's the patch link

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrades

Quote: "@Latch
I tried your code but...erm... DB crashed...
It said something about memory could not be read. Any idea what that means?"

I ran the code in another basic compiler (obasic) and it ran without a problem - I called the functions the same way basically so I don't think it's the code. Try loading and calling another DLL for any other purpose. I wonder if there is something off with the install (of DBC) in general or if you have a problem with winmm.dll

Try this - should open your control panel (code from White Knight)

Enjoy your day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:33:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:33:20