Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / NOX (scary fps)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 14:06 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 19:24
Download the game and source code from the wip thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=111818&p=2. Thanks to LiT for the hosting.

And heres the WIP thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111818&b=8.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 15:00
if you're up for it

sorry

ill try it out tonight
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 18:36 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 18:45
Downloading.

EDIT: Played it. Pretty good job, except I think the enemies seemed a bit out of place. Also, when I reached the elevator shaft, the game randomly exited. Was this supposed to happen? If it was, then I think it should have faded to black or something.

DIGIROSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice job indeed!

I love following the progress of someone's work closely and it helps me learn DBP more by playing the game then reading the code and back and forth to learn people's techniques, etc. I only hope that someday my work will be watched closely.

Mess with the best, die like the rest!
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 20:54
Wow, that was really cool! I really like the look and feel of the game, and the fact that it's open source is just awesome! The only problem I had is that I would seemingly randomly get hurt even though there were no 'monsters' nearby. But great job! This looks sweet.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 23:05
It needs some work but wasn't that bad. First off why does pressing e automatically enter the vehicle? You should have to be looking at it at least as I attempted to press e on the note at the start and got teleported to it which seemed a bit strange. Also there doesn't seem to be any limit to the crowbar's range? At the end I was able to kill all of the monkey things when at least 2M away from it. I liked the headlight on the vehicle and having vehicles / running the enemies over and such was nice but needed a bit more polishing.

Benouz
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried it : u did a good job!!
It's fast (much more that some FPSCreat***!)
However i've seen some "bugs"!
1. Ennemies can float when they die (the result is a flying body...)
2. Pressing E will make enter the vehicule, whatever you are!
3. The gravity seems to be like on the moon (maybe it's what's you want!!)
4. At the beginning, during the loadind, i heard the "step sound" in loop....

I think it's all,...
ah no!! I think it's hard to check if an ennemy has been hurt or no (no blood, etc.) but it's a detail...

Continue the good work!!
Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 05:34
Reminds me of that TV series "Supernatural" with the whole Sam and Dad thing. Good job!

Get zParticle! An advanced particle system plugin for DBP!
Website and Download link!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 12:28
Draknir, ha yea theres lots of bits that need correcting. I'm just too lazy

Thanks inspire. I'm afraid i'm hopeless at modeling humans (i was going to do a zombie) - anyway, i settled for skeletons. And yea, its supposed to exit at the elevator shaft. I got really sick of working on this project - haha. It could use a lot of polishing!

NETSURFER, well thank you very much! I'll look out for some of your stuff!

H4ck1d, at the moment monsters can hurt you through walls. I actually have a much better AI code by Flamboyant Fish siting on my desktop. I just didn't get round to copying it in.

dark coder, thanks for reporting those problems. the whole project has been rather rushed. i'll hopefully come back to it later, and finish it all of.

Benouz, yup there all bugs! none of them will take long to fix, i'll probably upload a small update. thanks for testing it so thoroughly!

Zerk, cheers! and never heard of it!
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I only suggest enemies with guns and better guns. The guns in the game have bullets that bounce or something.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 19:56
Quote: " The guns in the game have bullets that bounce or something."

I think the bouncing bullets are cannon balls.

Great work Oliver. But I wondered why the "other people" of the story always wrote notes, as it seems even if they were fighting.
Also the enemies behave kinda boring, but apart from that it's fantastic.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 07:48
@ oliver: thanks for Nox (& the source!)

i'm sure you already know where the polish is needed (and i do hope you re-visit and continue working on it).

couple questions for you:

Nox smells heavy of Unreal (the original, and that's a good thing. it's (still) one of my favorites!). i'm curious if this was your intention, just an influence, or coincedence? regardless, i appreciate the "feel" you offered.

also, system specs on the system you used for development? i have a modest (read as "old") system and was able to maintain low 60's FPS. the screen shots posted show sub 60's, so...

thanks again!

Flamboyant Fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 01:35 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 01:35
Everything is very well done all the way down to the gui.

Really enjoyed running over the monsters with the tractor.

It had a really enjoyable atmosphere.

I hope you add-on some new levels to this project, with more bad guys of course.

Its not what you know, its who you know.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 21:35
Mr Kohlenstoff, cheers! really glad you like it! as for the random notes....who knows! it was an easy (cheap) way of adding a story line. Ideally i would have cutseens (that takes way to long to animate!)

Virtual Nomad, i was inspired greatly by the cube engine. Which is probably infulenced by unreal. Its really just a 'feel' i like. I'm gonna have a look at unreal next... can't say i've really played it (besides a demo). As for my computer specs... well its a 3 yr old laptop, 1.4 ghz, 512 ram, and an intel graphics card. Which by todays standards is s****. But it certainly makes you pay attention to keeping the game running smoothly.

Flamboyant Fish, im still working on this.... check out the wip thread....

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111818&b=8&p=1

Thanks everyone for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:47:37
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:47:37