Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Duality - A Lovecraftian Text Adventure

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 22:22 Edited at: 29th Sep 2007 22:51
This is my current project: a text adventure game, "Duality", which I'm hoping will be finished in time for the Text Adventure competition. (I only found out about it a week ago. Gotta work fast!)

Briefly, Duality is a text adventure game with a multiple-choice interface (rather than a more sophisticated parser-interface). It's ALL text, except for one piece of media (which is, in fact, a bitmap of some text. So it's all text, really.) It's called Duality for reasons which will become apparent later in the game, so don't worry about that too much.

The plot and atmosphere is quite Lovecraftian: (for those unfamiliar with Lovecraft, just replace "Lovecraftian" with "creepy") the first chapter is set in an unsettling Asylum and has an occult theme. I don't want to give too much away, really.

I just finished Chapter 1, which is kind of the demo. (See attachment.)
And, to prove this isn't a virus or something, some screenies:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5714/duality1pw5.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4026/duality2ej2.jpg

Feedback, anyone?

EDIT: Just remembered, I haven't done saving/loading a game yet.

3D game making is a combination of pc crashes, yelling and coffee.
I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 02:09
Very Nice! You captured the mood and genre well. Looking forward to the next installment. Wish there were some sort of visual depictions though. It would be allot of work but improve it vastly. All in all great job!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 03:56
Played through it (it seems TA/IF isn't really an oftenly visited thread in WIP). The font was annoying and the contrast really stark, pained my eyes, but that could be because I'm tired.

The writing style was quite good (better than mine in the game, anyhow).

I noticed that if Alec explains to you what he saw or something, one of the texts after entering his cell, overlapped the Chapter title. You need to fix that.

Otherwise, good work.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 12:13
Thanks for the feedback! It's nice to know it's worth continuing with.
Quote: "Wish there were some sort of visual depictions though. It would be allot of work but improve it vastly."

It certainly would, but the rules of the text adventure competition state that it must be ALL text, and if you use pictures, it has to be just a picture of text (like the one piece of media in Duality). Heck, I was wondering whether or not I could put a line between the chapter title and the main text! I guess I could put in a picture for each scene in when I'm done, but the deadline for the comp. is getting awfully close now and I need to spend all my time on this just writing up the scenes!

Quote: "The font was annoying and the contrast really stark, pained my eyes, but that could be because I'm tired."

I never had any trouble with it, but I easily see why somebody would! I'll look into adding an option for changing the font or colour.
Quote: "The writing style was quite good (better than mine in the game, anyhow)."

Hehe, thanks. I'm more of a writer than a programmer, so I thought this kind of game would work well for me.
Quote: "I noticed that if Alec explains to you what he saw or something, one of the texts after entering his cell, overlapped the Chapter title. You need to fix that."

Odd, that doesn't happen for me. Once you get into the cell, it's a wall of text but it just fits beneath "CHAPTER I - The Clinically Insane" and above the options list at the bottom. Then you press 1) and go to THE END screen.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 19:52
Must be my resolution, then - don't forget resolutions.

BTW, on the media:
* You can use one image as HUD. This could be a black screen with a line between chapter and text, but it can not be relocated or animated or something. Needs to be static. Check out the Wartorn thread here for an example.
* You cán use any media, as long as it is turned off by default and not of influence on playability (ie I need to be able to complete it without media as well).

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 20:21
Very nicely written, hooked me the entire time, I couldn't stop reading . It gave a great sense of the atmosphere and setting. I was actually scared to walk into the empty cell at one point because I didn't know if I would be locked inside it somehow, and it was so dark and foreboding . Very interesting story so far, and the puzzle was nicely done, not too hard, but not blatantly obvious. My only complaint is that sometimes you would have to hold a number down for it to read, instead of it just reading instantly. Looking forward to see more of this.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 22:15 Edited at: 30th Sep 2007 22:22
Quote: "Must be my resolution, then - don't forget resolutions."

Hm, it's very odd... I used this command right at line 1:

Shouldn't that set the resolution? I'd upload a screenie of what my screen looks like at that point, but imageshack has a page not found error for me... dang...
EDIT: ImageHosting.com worked instead. This is how that page looks to me:
http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1201081_duality3.JPG.html
As for the media, thanks for pointing that out! However, I think I'll avoid putting in anything unnecessarily that could possibly be classed as media, to err on the side of caution. I may well put in some music or lines later on, but with the deadline so close I think I'll stick to just getting it done.

Quote: "the puzzle was nicely done, not too hard, but not blatantly obvious."

I was a little worried about puzzle difficulty: everyone will think that a puzzle has a different difficulty, and I need to get it just right. But, while Chapter 1 has, basically, only one puzzle, Chapter 2 has essentially three puzzles. Hopefully, none of them are too hard. (Some might be too easy, but I'd rather have an easy game that people can whizz through and finish than a hard game that nobody gets past.)
Quote: "My only complaint is that sometimes you would have to hold a number down for it to read, instead of it just reading instantly. Looking forward to see more of this."

Actually, I'm also annoyed with that... The problem is, I have a variable, "form", which holds a number which corresponds to which page you're on. Then, when you press a button, "form" changes to the number of the page you requested. The engine then has to go through quite a few If statements:

And, naturally, after going through 60+ if statements, it gets pretty slow... I tried to limit this by grouping the Ifs into groups of twenty, and having one subroutine per 20 ifs. Then, the engine skips over the subroutines which don't contain the current form. But it's still pretty slow, which is unfortunate. I briefly tried to make it so the game prints to the screen once, and then goes into a loop without a sync command that just checks for input, but it didn't work very well...

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Chapter 2 is almost done, surprisingly. It has less "pages" than Chapter 1, but it's more free-roaming: the kind of freedom you get in the second half of chapter 1 is present for most of chapter 2. And it has a cool book in it.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 00:04
This is cool. Nice writing. It feels kind of like Sleepy Hollow.

I also had a problem with it being a bit dodgy registering keypresses...

I don't know why it's slow. Maybe it's because of really long strings..
Instead of a load of ifs, you could try use a select thing eg (to replace your snippet above)

Maybe that would be faster. If not then do what you said- break up the ifs.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2007 21:51
Okay, I've finished writing chapter 2. I'll make myself a little checklist:
done

Write chapter 2
- Check through for grammar/spelling/overall sentence flow etc.
- Implement saving/loading
Implement different fonts (You can have Times New Roman, Arial or Arial Bold.)
Implement black on white or white on black choice of display
- Save the options settings for fonts/display mode so you don't have to re-apply them every time you start the game up.
- Try that select case thing to try and improve speed

This is essentially a *bump* post, but I'd rather not see this sink down into the swamp of unread threads. Plus, I'll probably soon be ready to release chapter 2. It has a different writing style to chapter 1: the same tone and atmosphere, but it uses the past tense and is written in the third (rather than second) person. I did this so that you can easily differentiate between when the game is talking about Alec's experience, and when it's talking about Howard's experience.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 01:44
Great, can't wait for chapter 2, hopefully it will still carry the same atmosphere and level of writing as the first one .

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2007 23:47
Okay, I finished Chapter 2 - Horror Bound in Prose. This one focuses more on the "adventure" in "text-adventure", but I think the writing's still up to snuff, especially during the climax.

Now, that checklist again:
Write chapter 2
Check through for grammar/spelling/overall sentence flow etc.
Implement saving/loading (you have 9 slots, probably more than enough. If it's not you could always just move the save files around, but I doubt it'll come to that. Also, this was the first DBPro game in which I've actually implemented saving/loading! Yay!)
Implement different fonts (You can have Times New Roman, Arial or Arial Bold.)
Implement black on white or white on black choice of display
Save the options settings for fonts/display mode so you don't have to re-apply them every time you start the game up. (Saved in a file called settings.txt)
- Try that select case thing to try and improve speed. I think the problem is actually more to do with the amount of text being written to the screen per page: on the relatively short pages there's next to no slowdown (except between pages, but I think I can live with that). But on the really big wall-of-text pages, the slowdown is significant. I might research some way of speeding up printing.

But, in the meantime, enjoy! Oh, and if anyone wants to be able to read it in more fonts, just suggest the font. I just picked the 3 I did since they were the 3 that sprang to mind. (However, Courier New isn't an option because it's a little too wide: pages which were quite long but fitted on the screen often go off the end of the page with Courier New.)

Attachments

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 02:51
Very nice and interesting . I was disappointed when I died at the end, and I hadn't saved, so I would have to do everything over to get back to it. Maybe add an autosave feature?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 05:59
As font, add Verdana.

Writing is still superb indeed. Really liked all of it .

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 21:45
Thanks guys! An autosave feature does sound like a good idea - it's just one more slot and shouldn't be a problem. In any case, I really have no reason not to.

Quote: "Writing is still superb indeed. Really liked all of it ."

Yay, thankyou! I really appreciate people taking an interest. I plan to play Wartorn - Jarod's Fall once I've finished this game (since I really have to be firing on all cylinders to get it done in time for the comp). As for Verdana, I can certainly add it, no problem, but it's very much like Arial so I'm not sure if there's any need. I'll add it in anyway, providing all the pages will still fit on the screen.

I haven't yet started writing Chapter 3 - it's still in the planning stage (which, in plain terms, means it's a few scribbles on a folded up piece of lined paper). But it will start off with Howard continuing his mission in the Asylum, and then (once he talks to Alec again) will switch back to Alec.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 18:17
looking forward to playing thanks darth kiwi and truth be told I world probably of made the tales of cthulhu a text adventure if it weren’t for the fact that I have the writing skills of a dead ferret you can do so much more with text than you can with fpsc anyway will review tomorrow

the world is complicated only people are simple
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 22:10
Thanks small fish! Heck, your game's still at 0% downloaded... grr... Yeah, you can do more with text than you can ever do with pretty much anything else, the only problem being it's not as interesting as most other game-styles. It is very convenient, however, because to build a room you just have to say "There's a room" whereas normally you'd have to spend a day actually moving polygons

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2007 13:40
play the game I'm afraid I couldn’t play it for to long as I had to go out with some friends so I only had half an hour to play but from what I saw great stuff your writing stile is very well suited to the horror genre creating an atmosphere with ease and the simple interface save us all from the horror of typing in allsorts of junk and getting do not understand messages I get the feeling I going to really enjoy your story just as soon as I get some spare time to play it I'm downloading the 2nd chapter now will give you a proper review soon

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 00:40 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 00:53
Okay, I finished Chapter 3. This is the most "cosmic" so far: any fans of Azathoth or Cthulhu will like the climax, I think!

I also added the Verdana font (although, unfortunately, it's a little too large compared with the others so I had to scale the text size down a little when you use that font, which causes a few blips, as you see the font at size 20 then it skips to size 18 quickly. A slight pain, but worth another font, plus you don't HAVE to use Verdana.) Also, I added an autosave system: there's now one more save slot, only accessible by autosaves, which is loaded from the "load" screen by pressing S. The autosave points are predefined by me, rather than automatic. I basically have one autosave in the middle of chapter 1, one in the middle of chapter 2 shortly before you get to the "dangerous" bit, and three in chapter 3. (I also put autosaves at the end of each chapter.) Yes, this new chapter is quite easy to die in, but I didn't want to simply say "oh yes, this is a dangerous bit! Be scared!" because, without carrying out the threat, the author doesn't have as much influence over the player. By actually making it painfully, alarmingly obvious that you really could die (rather than have the more player-friendly no deaths Monkey Island system), the player should (should!) be more on edge, and more careful when dealing with horrifying creatures that could rip his face off.

Also, the end of this chapter seems quite final, and I could, I suppose, end it here: most plot threads are tied up in suitably Lovecraftian manners.

BUT! There will be one final chapter after this one. It will probably be quite short. And, don't worry: this isn't one of those half-thought-out "oh, it was all a dream!" endings. This final chapter has a twist that I thought up before I even started writing chapter 1, and has been present throughout, although hopefully not obvious.

Okay, now don't think about that too much or you might figure out the twist. It'll be better if you just wait patiently.

EDIT: Forgot to say: instead of providing an option to skip to chapter 3, I provided a saved game in slot 1. Just go "load > 1)" and you'll start chapter 3.

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 04:31
Awesome work. I loved the Verdana.

Hey, I was worried, can you get an autosave without having the pencil? Would screw up stuff badly.

Nicely done! I can see a big contester for Wartorn in this one!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 04:48 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 04:50
Very nicely done . I loved the writing, once again. My only complaint is that I think you need more than one path that you can go on where you will live. Especially when you are talking to the demon, if you say the same things, just in a different order, you die, if you say them in another order, you live. At least give a bit more indication to which is the better choice, rather than forcing people to randomly guess and reload . Also, I think the transition from playing Blake to Alec and where you are in the two story building could be explained a bit more, I was very confused by it at first. Anyway, besides that, great story and writing once again, this would make a great novel .

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 17:33
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote: "Hey, I was worried, can you get an autosave without having the pencil? Would screw up stuff badly."

Well, you need the pencil for a puzzle at the end of chapter 2 and it autosaves before that. But, you need the pencil to do something else before that, so you can't get to that point without it.

Quote: "My only complaint is that I think you need more than one path that you can go on where you will live. "

Spoilers ahoy:

The transition between Blake and Alec could be explained better, I guess - I just assumed that people would get it, but maybe it was a little too blunt. Might re-write that bit. As for the building, essentially you just need to know that there is a whole bunch of cells somewhere in the building: it shouldn't really affect your adventuring. But, thanks for the feedback - I might redo some of the things you suggested if I have time.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 13:57 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 13:58
right I played through chapter 1 tried to get through chapter 2 but there a bug of some sort when you have to leg it from the cultists the game really slows down I would give an order and it would take minutes for the game to responded am I the only one that’s seen this problem anyway your writhing style is fantastic really great did you say once that you wrote fan fiction I would really like to read that and I hope you can sort this bug out because before that I was really enjoying it

rg0enu
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. Very Enjoyable. Yes. I enjoyed it. My Long Waiting Rewarded With Each Scroll. Yes.

This Is Involved. Who Am I?

The clues given are the answer required.
This is a game. Let it run.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 01:03
Quote: "Yes. Very Enjoyable. Yes. I enjoyed it. My Long Waiting Rewarded With Each Scroll. Yes."

Thankyou! I appreciate feedback

Quote: "I would give an order and it would take minutes for the game to responded"

Yes, that "bug" (or, rather, "design flaw") is the bane of my life at the moment... But fear not! (Or, rather, fear lurking horrors!) Because, after two or three days of writing a brief test project to see how "print" and "text" actually relate to "sync", restructuring the fundamental game engine and putting my mind through a blender trying to figure out why that darndiddlydarn inventory bug won't go away, and eventually just rewriting half teh inventory code - it's now faster! Well, not so much faster as more receptive: it now instantly(ish) recognises keypresses even if it does take a few seconds to load each page, which I think is preferable to the old method. Woo! I won't release it yet, since I'm almost done with chapter 4 anyway, but in any case I just thought some good news (and a *bump* for the thread, yay!) was worth doing.

Quote: "Who Am I?"

If by that you mean "Who is the main character?" (ie. the one addressed as "you" in the game) then his name is Howard Blake, and he has experience of paranormal occurrences and basic occult lore, as shown by how he reacts to the various ungodly things around him in the Asylum. There is more to his character, to be revealed in chapter 4, but I don't want to give away too much.

Or, if you just mean "Who am I?" then, we all gotta figure that out for ourselves!

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 02:36
Quote: "Or, if you just mean "Who am I?" then, we all gotta figure that out for ourselves!"
Look in geek chat forum. It's a game to find out who he relly is. A rather dubious clue linked to your game. Looks like he crossed over here now.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 13:05
Well, I for one can't wait to see Chapter 4 . This is a great entry, and if I were an official contender, gheh, I'd be afraid. Very afraid. Because Duality is different from Wartorn: Jarod's Fall, but it surely ís written more professionally.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 22:43 Edited at: 13th Oct 2007 22:50
Quote: "Well, I for one can't wait to see Chapter 4 . This is a great entry, and if I were an official contender, gheh, I'd be afraid. Very afraid. Because Duality is different from Wartorn: Jarod's Fall, but it surely ís written more professionally."

Haha, thanks man. The Writing is my favourite bit! Don't knock Wartorn, though: it's surprisingly addicting. I've got to chapter 4 already, woo! (Although, if everyone dies I'll have to restart... so I guess that doesn't really count, hehe!)

But! On another note! Duality is finished! Once again, a slot 1 save will bring you up to chapter 4. Or you can play from the beginning. This version has got rid of the key-hold problem, but there's still a waiting time between pressing the key and having the new page appear, so some people might still have problems... if so I'm not sure how I can fix that.

Chapter 4 has far fewer puzzles than any other chapter, and it's really just a wrapping up of one particular loose end. I hope that this twist doesn't seem too arbitrary - trust me, I thought it up before I started writing, so it hasn't just been tacked on the end! Honest! Anyways, hope you guys like it.

I may add more features later, like another background so it looks like a book, or maybe a copy-and-paste function (which would be the equivalent of a screenshot) or perhaps even music. But don't get your hopes up, since I have another project I really need to get back to.

EDIT: Hehe, I pressed the "Post Message" button instead of the "Browse" button for attachments...

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 02:46 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 04:15
I could do you a background?

BTW, an amazing twist. Didn't see that coming.

Spoiler + Commentary:

Glad you enjoy Wartorn. Chapter 4? Well, then you're about to see all your choices have an effect... There are several endings, several conversations, several changes... Certainly try again when done, the quests are on random. Do post up your score in the Program Announcement threads. You see it after the credits after completing the game.

And:

Lol omfg

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 05:33
I love your writing, Darth Kiwi, (Alec resisted the urge to write on himself, lol) and the game is really addicting (it took me forever to figure how to escape from the Hand guys)

Only two complaints: The lagginess of the keys (I haven't tried Chapter 4 yet, but it looks like you fixed it), and when I was in the room in Chapter 2 where you have to summon the guy to transport you away, I found that I was able to take as many hairs as I wanted, and yet it still said there was only 1 hair in the shape on the floor .

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire!" —Jaya Ballard, task mage
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 16:34 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 16:35
Quote: "I could do you a background?"

That'd be wonderful, just a page of an old creepy book with maybe some symbols. I made one already, but I'm not 100% pleased with it, it just doesn't seem... weathered enough. I've attached it to this post. The circle symbol is ok, I think, but I may scrap the funny-looking hand.

As for the ending - spoilers ahead

As for this bit: (no spoilers)

Haha, yeah, I wanted to make it so I could easily see where the loop was when I was scrolling through it

Thanks for the feedback bmaczero! I appreciate it.
Quote: "I found that I was able to take as many hairs as I wanted"

Ah, yeah, I think I forgot to put in a few minor "if" statements. I'll get right on that!

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 04:11 Edited at: 15th Oct 2007 04:13
Something along these lines?

(Low quality, plus it's nowhere near polished yet. Crap, symphatising with the concurrent . I would ask Matt if you can accept this, though, or provide it as an option, defaulted 'off').

If you have a built that accepts a background file for me, I could yield much better results, simply because I could then test it.

Attachments

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 18:59
Ooh, nice. Looks a lot more weathered than my attempt! Thanks.

Here's a build which will load in "backdrop.jpg" and have it as the background. The text will be black. You can now cycle between black on white, white on black and black on the book background. You can simply test images by naming them "backdrop.jpg", putting them in the Duality folder and playing. The screen size is 1024 x 768.

Quote: "I would ask Matt if you can accept this, though, or provide it as an option, defaulted 'off'"

I've actually submitted the finished, but media-less Duality version that I posted a few days ago, and that will be my entry. This is just polishing it up afterwards to present a better rounded game, but the actual entry will be what I've already submitted there, so it should be ok. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2007 21:28
It doesn't load an external file, Darth Kiwi... It has the same image independent of the file in the directory, seems to have the media included.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 01:06
Ah... oops... let me just uncheck the "exe with media" checkbox... Sorry - Take 2!

Okay, this one works. To test it, I put in a different jpg named "backdrop" AFTER I'd compiled. Worked fine, thank goodness!

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 17:32 Edited at: 16th Oct 2007 17:33
Nice alternate backdrop. Try this one, I tested it and it seems to work nicely.

Attachments

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Your entry may not contain any "media" beyond the use of a HUD/ GUI (explained in the following rule). "Media" is defined in this competition as 2D images, 3D images, sound effects, music, 3D models, and/ or animations of any kind. You CAN use a simple 2D image of text to present the text for your game, but this must be simple and cannot violate this rule with non-textual imagery. Because we know you might release this game beyond this competition, you may use any form of media that you want to use in the game's front-end (the "main menu" area and any splash-screens you'd like to use prior). Also, you can use media if you present an option to turn off said media. This option must be available either in an "Options" menu in the game's front-end, or as an in-game option available during play. All entries containing media will be eligible for the "kudos award" for best media, but entries violating the stipulations of the rule we've just defined will not be eligible for the grand prize."

Somebody is trying to get someone out of the compo.lol J/k but that is a rule.

-Go onto the forums its nice! Join now!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 03:00
Well, that image does seem like a static HUD to me?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 19:16
Tha_Rami - thanks for the backdrop! I shall put it in now.

As for the media/HUD discussion - I've already posted the game, the "media-less" version, on the Text-adventure competition thread, and that is my entry. This is just polishing, to make the game better rounded and more appealing, but the next version (the "media-inflated" version) will not actually be entered into the comp, since I want to stay well away from any grey areas of "is this a HUD, is this media?"

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 18:03
ok I downloading the latest version of Duality will try to complete it tonight

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 06:54
Congratulations on winning, Darth Kiwi! Do check out the review in Untitled in Geek Culture!

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 01:00 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 01:01
I checked out the magazine and I like it a lot! I'm especially honoured to be mentioned in it!

As far as updates on the "beefed up" version of Duality - things have been very slow, since without the pressure of a deadline I've been able to devote more of my time to other things. When I HAD to finish it, I spent pretty much every spare minute on a pc, with either darkbasic pro or a text document with the code copied into it being added to by me, whether or not I was at home or at school. Now, I'm spending time at school trying to (slowly) write a novel, and time at home trying to (slowly) model for a HL2 mod (which is also based on Lovecraft's work, by the way). So, I don't have as much time, I'm afraid. However, I have done some things:

Option of using numpad keys for input
Option of having a cool "book" style background
- Add music (there will, hopefully, be some midi made in Anvil studio, some mp3 and maybe some recordings of me actually playing the violin. We'll see.)
- Add a kind of "screenshot" function (but for text, so it would make a text file rather than an image in the Duality folder)
- Add a handwriting font (I found that most handwriting fonts on the net take up too much room, that is, they have too much wasted space around the letters, so to fit the text on the screen I have to make the font smaller than you can read it. To this end I'm currently trying to make my own font. But there are a lot of letters to make, so that'll take a while).
- Possibly change a few puzzles. In particular, I'm thinking about making the "break the window silently" puzzle less obvious, once you get the "hint".

So that's that. I am working on it, but slowly. And I did toy with the idea of actually selling this "beefed up" version, but decided against it because it would be a lot of work for probably not much $$$, plus everyone who's encouraged me to keep going with this would have to pay to play the "proper" version.

EDIT: HAHAHA!!! I have a multi-page thread! Yeah!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:01:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:01:10