Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Earth with Normal & Specular Mapping (No Shaders)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 02:30 Edited at: 29th Nov 2007 02:37
Download the attached file and make a project out of the Dba file.
Images are freeware to use.

Image1

Image2

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 02:35
Image1

Attachments

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 02:35
Image2

Attachments

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 04:00
Looks nice. I tried running it on my computer. Still looks nice, but not how it's supposed to...

I've tried blendmapping examples posted on these forums before and my computer doesn't seem to run them right. Shame because it'd be nice to be able to use normal maps.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 11:35
Hi CuCuMBeR, thanks for letting me know about this

I'm seeing the problems you have, as upper model (number 1) doesn't has terrain specularity turned off, and has no night lights. Normal map effect works here.
Model number 2 achieves a resonable night side, but shows a terrible bluish light side and some issues at the poles. It is hard to tell if the normal map is taking effect or not.

I've tried my own textures and the results are quite similar or even worst

Nevertheless I think it is a step forward. As it seems this can be used easily with non-nightlight planets (or objects). You, Blend Mapping wizard

@Mr Tank, could you please post your video card specs? That should explain it, I suppose.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2007 13:07
Morcilla: I was fishing maybe you will tell us how you did the earth in MPL3D :p
Whatever i do i cant make it.

Mr Tank: Obviously your graphic card doesnt support Alpha blending and normal maps.
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 13:13
Those horrible lines look like Z-Fighting where the application cand decide which surface to render first.
Try changing the camera range, from (0 to whatever) to (.01 to whatever). this may fix the problem.

Cyberspace was becoming overcrowded and slummy so I decided to move. These nice chaps gave me a lift.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 18:08
Hey I thought you were the one who told me how to do it that way. Please tell me that you are trying to get a better one, not the same one. We already discussed how to obtain it, didn't we?

I have to say that I just used the code and parameters that you provided at your threads. I tweaked a little bit the textures, but still, I'm not completely happy with the final result, as the day side looks a little bit dirty, oh well must be the pollution.
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 19:46 Edited at: 30th Nov 2007 19:50
To satisfyingly show day/night cycle on the earth, one needs to calculate how much light a point on the mesh takes and in what color. which i see noway possible to do in dbpro.
But,
There is a cool looking Earth.fx with in the directx november sdk but it says it is supported by SAS whatever it is and im no good at shaders.
i was wondering would it be possible to port it to DBPro.

Anyhow, i installed DarkGDK now trying get used to it, wont mess with DBPro as i used to anymore .

EDIT: The example i posted at first post is good enough for normal and specular mapping though, but i wondered why it wouldnt work on Mr Tanks computer..Afterall blend mapping is around since directx6 soo what brand is his graphics card i wondered.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 21:00
I have Raedon 9200 Series. I'm tempted to buy a newer one, but don't want to develop games that look all screwy on other people's computers.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 10:39
It will be nice to check that shader. I'm kind of sure that it can be ported to DBPro/DGDK, although I have no idea what SAS stands for either, lol.

Hey see ya at the DGDK forum, and email me if you want, I won't even have those night lights without you

Radeon 9200? Uh that should be more than enough...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:21:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:21:47