Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3DWS level loader code?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 12:27
Has someone succesfully converted the 3dws level loader code (from the inca pro demo, the entity thingy loader)? I've tryed to convert, but it didn't work. And the code is really useful, it would be great to have it converted.

Deagle aka D-Eagle
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 14:17
I too am wanting to do this but I have finals this week. Can you post what you have and I will try and look at it shortly.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 23:06
Where is the code located? Because I use 3dws and this would be a good help, so I'll attempt at converting it if you point me in the direction of finding it.

WC Physics - PhysX wrapper for Dark GDK.
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 08:17 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 08:18
Benny53: Download the inca pro demo, install it and go to its install directory and look for the source code.
The actual code that is hard to convert is:

Deagle aka D-Eagle
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 19:27
Note - I've read in times past here on the forums (I think LIT or Lost in Thought was giving it a go) and if memory serves me correctly - he (or someone) mentioned that the 3dws file format - as "documented" is not always "dead on" correct - and causes issues - and I think it was said that its a non-stop moving target -

I can't confirm or deny these statements - as the only loader I've written lately is a C++ one in DarkGDK - for Ted (Terrain Editor sold here) and that guy's file format - though maybe more "heavy" cause its basically raw text versus a binary - is much more intuitive.

so take this note as at least a caution to what you might be up against if you choose to write one yourself - or find someone elses code seemingly flawed - just check both their code and do your own tests to make sure the file format is indeed what you think (or they thought) it was.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 19:35
I had planned at some stage to get my original CShop importer to work with 3DWS files as well, but things being the way they are, this never came to frution. And LIT was working on one for DBP.

God only knows when a 3DWS importer will be available for DGDK and .NET.

Paul.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 23:18 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 23:20
The 3dw file format is stable for now until v6 comes out, in which it will be alot simpler and better IMO. The corrected v5 (for all versions made after mar 14 2006) file format is:

And my DBP codes to write it's contents to a txt file and actually create objects from the data, as well as a .mesh loader code can be found in the importer thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100900&b=13

[edit] The only thing left to do in my importer's loading code is get the vertex lighting working on meshes. I already have the .mesh loader integrated for the most part, but haven't uploaded until the mesh section is tweaked out. Then all I have to do is the entity setups like the csm importer.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 12:14
How 'bout the actual .dbo loader?
The code is yet in Inca Pro.

D-Eagle posted part of it.

Click For Details!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 01:41
@ApexNow
Quote: "God only knows when a 3DWS importer will be available for DGDK and .NET"

When LIT has completed his DBPro importer I will start work on porting this to C++ for use in DGDK as I see this as an essential component for my engine. I will probably also look at porting the frustum culling routine as well as I need both.

Once completed I will make the code open source.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 10:40
I had seriously considered (and now wish I had sometimes) writing a .3dw to .csm converter so I could use his csm importer. Now that I know the format alot better, I believe it is do-able. I wish I had the time to explore that option a bit more.

Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 16:53
Lets just speak about the DBO loader code

Deagle aka D-Eagle
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 00:43
Well I gave up on it a pretty good while ago even in just DBP code as there are just too many bugs/missing features in DBP to completely break apart an object and put it back together again with the blendmapping in tact and then there is the slow speed from removing and keeping up with all the limb shifts from removing limbs. Now I guess you could use a shader for the blendmappinng as i am doing with the 3dw importer ... In any case I haven't done any c++ programming in many years, but thise 4 functions don't look too hard to convert. As long as DGDK has the same string commands as DBP. Also wasn't there a string library for c++ that has most of those in it?

In any case for anyone wanting to try converting the whole thing, it can be found here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73134&b=1

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 09:07
LIT:

Ok, I got GDK installed on my main computer and going to start working on the 3DWS stuff now.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 20:27 Edited at: 30th Dec 2007 20:29
Bumping.. Here is what i've converted, but it just doesn't work.

(sorry if the code is messy )

Deagle aka D-Eagle

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 23:23:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 23:23:48