Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / [6.9] Objects disappear when using two cameras

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 21:04
I came across this bug in one of my projects that uses two cameras. I'm not sure if the problem is the two cameras or the camera orientation. Objects will appear and disappear depending on where the second camera is pointing.

Quick demo I made up to show the bug (arrow keys move forward/backward):

This is what is happening in my games. In the first camera, every object should be visible, but the second camera seems to interfere with this and shows objects only visible to it. As the target moves, changing camera orientation, objects appear and disappear. Not the best demo, but it shows what's going on.
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 00:36
I get the same disappearing objects bug in my game.
I use the second camera to feed water shader reflection map.
When I run the game without shaders and dont make my second camera, nothing disappears.

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 02:10
This happened with an earlier "upgrade" - and Lee fixed it. If I find time I'll see if I can dig out the earlier problem - it could be the same issue. History tends to repeat itself when Lee upgrades things ...

I usually upgrade to the most recent version - but there have been so many complaints this time that I'm holding back. I'm still using U6.8 and haven't tried U6.9 - too busy.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 16:37
Is there any known date when 7.0 release?

Umm, i have strange bug?
So, camera 1 renders pic for DOF, using plain in front of cam.
camera 2 renders pic for bloom, using second plain.
camera 0 renders...first plain only! (DOF)
so its something with shaders or kinda bug?

6.8 rulzz!!! 6.9 sux!!!

A door is a door is a door. Even a swinging one. =0
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 06:28
I too noticed this while working on my entry, it seems that my main camera only renders objects visible to the last rendered camera(2), which in this case was a reflection camera. So I had to disable frustum culling on these objects, which isn't ideal but works for now. I also noticed that Exclude Object On/Off caused some issues with my objects, and replacing them with hide/show fixed it, I don't remember what the issue was exactly but it's quite annoying.

trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 23:38
Why hasnt this been marked "Confirmed" yet??

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2008 22:17
I downgraded. only a few sectors of terrain and no guns showed up in my game

RanQor
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having this issue as well.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Same here.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.8
Tinyschu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2008 11:35 Edited at: 25th Jul 2008 14:03
I also am having this problem. It is quite annoying with placement with Dark Physics objects (Cloth, particles, and soft bodies). With my perspective in the problem, it seems that the camera renders where the position of the object is, but in dark physics the cloth and soft bodies are do not count and the renderer seems to think that the objects' meshes are positioned on the 0,0,0 position hencing the dissappearence through the updates feature to auto-hide any object that is not within the camera's view.

So my solution to particles is to use the command:

But the bad part is it will not trail the particles which is quite a bummer...

Again, if anyone knows how to get arround this, please, let us know.

EDIT: After fiddleing around with 3d commands in DBPro, I have fixed the problem with objects disappearing. Simply just add the command "disable object zbias" and your object # like so:

and walla! No disappearing when the camera is not facing the rendering coordinates! I hope this solves the camera issues also.

It seems that in the new version of DBPro (v. 6.9) the object zbias is automatically enabled.

EDIT #2: Hmmm... I have another computer with DBPro v 6.9, but on that machine, it did not work. There was still disappearing problems... So, try the solution on your machine and get back with your feedback.

Ian G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2008 04:42
Disabling zbias didn't work for me with 6.9
Tinyschu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 04:11 Edited at: 28th Jul 2008 04:15
Okay, thanks for the feedback Ian G. Again it only worked on one of my machines, but maybe I did not install 6.9 on that one. I do not remember fully.

Ill try to come up with another solution when I find one, so I don't know how long it will take me. My only logical explaination when I tried disabling Zbias is because what I thought 6.9 was doing is that it automatically enabled zbias, but now I can say that it is not that or the disable zbias command does not work in 6.9.

I also tried out the traditional 'show object' command, the 'set object cull obj#,0' command, and the 'exclude object off' command, but they also did not solve the problem.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 08:09 Edited at: 28th Jul 2008 08:09
What does zbias or backface culling have to do with this issue? The problem is that the view frustum used to check the frustum culling is incorrect, if you have 2 cameras and render the 2nd first then the first, the first camera will use the view frustum of the second(I'm pretty sure that's the issue anyway). To 'fix' this you can just disable frustum culling(as I said above) via Set Object Radius ID, 1.0, but this doesn't come without a downside.

Tinyschu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2008 11:05
Ah, thats what you mean. I was wondering what you ment by "disable frustrum culling", but in all means it also worked for me. What I was thinking about zbias and culling was that I thougtht what was happening is that the camera renderer was cutting out the mesh because it, supposibly, it thought it was not at the position to be rendered.

Anyway, my thanks to you for clarifying your answer for me.

trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 20:17
The latest 7.0 Beta seems to have fixed this "Objects disappear when using two cameras" issue.
At least for my projects.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:13:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:13:39