Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / FPSC X10 - Texture Tutorial (Seamless Diffuse, Normal and Specular)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 00:56
I noticed there have still been some posts from people having a bunch of trouble with normal and specular map creation for use in FPSC X10 so if anyone would still like help with this let me know.

If so I'll put together a step by step tutorial including screenshots and all the required settings for each texture including making your initial diffuse texture seamless.

The tutorial will be for Photoshop with Nvidia dds and normal map filter plugins.

I've attached a screenshot showing an example room segment I made starting with a free online stone texture (not seamless as just for normal and specular demonstration).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
puppy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 08:13
i knew this since ao of x9 and tried in x10 but thanks for trying to help others

bioengineers canceld who cares
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:02 Edited at: 26th Jun 2008 23:03
Nomad Soul this would be great. I am still having trouble. I have a question too, how do you make a texture more/less shiny. It would help if you could answer the question in the tutorial because a grass texture should not be as shiny as an ice texture.
THANKS

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 23:48
Quote: "Nomad Soul this would be great. I am still having trouble. I have a question too, how do you make a texture more/less shiny. It would help if you could answer the question in the tutorial because a grass texture should not be as shiny as an ice texture.
THANKS
"

Make the Gray Scale part of your Specular Map Darker and it well make the grass less shiny.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks squalker

Nomad soul are you goin to make this tutorial. it will be very helpful for me and all the people who buy x10 in the future.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 12:45
Yes please

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2008 23:46
@game freak16

I'm putting the tutorial together. Should be ready soon, I've just been a bit distracted playing bad company since friday night.

Don't worry I'll be covering intensity of the specular map in the tutorial.

@Big Viking Games

No problem.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 01:45
Sounds like a great idea, I'm looking forward to seeing the complete tutorial. I tried making segments for X10 with shader maps and all, but for some reason they didn't work, even though I followed the instructions with the alphas and all. So, hopefully this'll shed some light on my problem.

Your big has been erased by a signature because it was too mod.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you Nomad Soul.
btw what is your gamertag if you have xbox live. I have been playing bad company a lot too. It would be awesome if x10 could have destructible environments and terrain that looked that good.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 05:22
@Roger Wilco

Don't worry, I've tried without success before too. I just sat down for a couple of nights recently and finally figured it out.

@game freak16

My xbox live gamertag is 'Nomad5oul'. With a 5 instead of S. Feel free to add me for a game sometime.

Buttercutter does a good job of destructable environments in FPSC but not multiplayer due to dynamic parts of the segments. Also buttercutter isn't compatible with FPSC X10, but possibly with amendments. Terrain support is planned in the post migration work for Lee!.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 05:42
@Nomad Soul

If you need any help with the Tutorial I too have Photoshop and have had success with with both .dds and .tga with segments and entities.

Can also explain how to use Paint.net and CrazyBump to achieve different effects.

I use CrazyBump and Photoshop to do the different textures myself and can explain my process to you if want...

Example attached

So if you want the help let me know and we'll exchange msn or emails.

Squalker

Attachments

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 06:19
Quote: "My xbox live gamertag is 'Nomad5oul'"
I've seen you before! I think in halo, or maybe CoD4...

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
Holloguts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 16:57
This would be great, (I'm rubbish with anything to do with gfx). I am using bumpfx demo at the moment, any tutorial that will also show how to get the same results with bumpfx would be helpful. At the moment I seem to just end up with either bright walls or invisible walls or black walls ( I do try ). I was considering buying the license for BumpFX because it looked easy to use, but I put it on hold until I get some success with it.

I look forward to any tutorial, BumpFX or Photoshop (although I don't have this I will see if there is a demo I can download to try).

Cheers....
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 18:09
@Squalker

Thanks. I would be interested to hear about your experiences and Photoshop methods.

I know lots of people are now using Paint.net and Crazy Bump so perhaps we could add these as alternative methods if you don’t mind writing them.

Please provide an email address I can contact you on to discuss.

@Slayer222

LOL if it was Halo 3 I was probably getting a beat down. I’m better with call of duty and battlefield games. Invite me sometime.

@Holloguts

I knew from my own experience of doing this it can be frustrating to get so far and not get the end result. Having been through the pain barrier myself I'm glad to save as many people from that as possible.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried gimp, paint.net, and crazybump. Gimp i think is the closest thing to photoshop that is free and using it with paint.net enables me to do a little bit more. crazybump is just way too expensive and i have had no success with it. My walls always end up extremely bright even with the black alpha channel at 50%. The only way for me to not have bright walls is to just make the specular map a transparent image. But that takes away the shinyness and it doesn't reflect light. This tutorial will answer a lot of my questions.
@Nomad Soul
I will send you an invite sometime.

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 05:06
@Nomad Soul

Here is my email squalker@aodgaming.org
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@squalker
Are you helping Nomad Soul with the tutorial?

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 09:10
Quote: "@squalker
Are you helping Nomad Soul with the tutorial?
"

Yes
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright cool.

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 08:09
can't wait to see when this is done, now if only someone could make one for importing enemy models and guns
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 09:52
@Squalker

Thanks for the address. I'll be emailing you with a draft of the tutorial over the weekend, then if you can add your sections to it and send it back to me we can start getting it ready to release.

@game freak16

Saw you playing Madden08 on xbox live the other day!

@crumbaker

There are good tutorials for importing character models and weapons into FPSC. I made a character as seen in my 1st post using existing tutorials then realised you have to use a single mesh group and UV map for X10. In X9 you can use multiple textures for dynamic entities.

Perhaps when we get done with the X10 texture tutorial I could do one for X10 characters but would be specifically for Milkshape.
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 19:53
I would love you forever, and possibly make a small paypal donation to you for a well explained way how to import characters, also would to see bump mapping on the characters if possible.

Seems like nobody is talking too much about weapons. Is editing the models and effects really that hard?
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 20:35 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 20:35
@ Nomad Soul
I saw you too but it said you were Away. I will send you a squad invite next time you are on Bad Company.
I can't wait for this to be finished.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 01:13
@crumbaker

In the attached screenshot I've applied a normal and specular map to the character. The uv texture is only 512x512 and very basic model so doesn't look all that great. The new X10 characters use 2048x2048 textures and look great.

I've uploaded a video file showing the normal / specular mapped segment and character for you to show a successful test.

http://hosted.filefront.com/Nomad5oul

@game freak16

Taking a break from bad company for a while to get tutorial done now!

@Squalker

I'm nearlly there with a draft now. Email soon.

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Nomad Soul
Do ragdoll deaths work with custom animations or does the character have to be rigged to the default FPSC skeleton?
When you are done with the tutorial, I will send you a squad invite then.

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 07:44
Quote: "In the attached screenshot I've applied a normal and specular map to the character. The uv texture is only 512x512 and very basic model so doesn't look all that great. The new X10 characters use 2048x2048 textures and look great.
"

Did you make the model? If so which program did you use? Also what program did you use to apply the texture to the character.
FastBurst 2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 20:15
umm so where is the room tutorial?

~James

Phoenix Sentry Programmer & CoFounder
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 21:07
Quote: "Do ragdoll deaths work with custom animations or does the character have to be rigged to the default FPSC skeleton?"

as far as i'm concerned, it can support a custom skeleton for more bones falling helplessly to the ground =P, although it may take some tasty frame rates away.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@FastBurst 2
Nomad Soul is working on it with Squalker right now.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 02:21
@game freak16

Characters will work with rag doll providing all of the bones are connected and use the same names as those in the default FPSC bi-ped skeleton. The X10 character rag doll script is 'darkdestroy' which you might need to look at in regards to a custom death animation.

@crumbaker

Yes I made the model. Here is the original thread
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=127432&b=24

I used Milkshape to make the entire thing i.e. modelling, applying a uv texture map, rigging to the FPSC skeleton and exporting for use in the engine.

@FastBurst 2

I've completed the first 3 sections of the tutorial now, just need to do the specular map part then passing over to Squalker for his additions.

@First Company Veteran

Yup. It can support a custom skeleton providing the bones are connected and have the same names as those in the default FPSC skeleton!
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 03:55 Edited at: 14th Jul 2008 04:48
Ok guys just a heads up before you ask .... no I have not gotten the tutorial from Nomad Soul yet to add my parts.. but I am sure he well get it to me soon.

but I am posting a few pictures(about 7) for you guys of how things can look when you take a bit of time and work on your Specular maps.

btw these are of a vending machine I made for the current project I am working on and this is the first time I have released any images of my custom entities.

This entity is using all 3 textures _D _N and _S

The first images shows the very subtle normal I used to not make the image seem over bumped.

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 03:58 Edited at: 14th Jul 2008 04:31
The Next 3 well show working with your gray scale area of the Specular Map can add some nice Shines to surfaces.

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 04:00
Shine Image 2

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 04:03
Shine Image 3

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 04:09 Edited at: 14th Jul 2008 04:59
The next 3 are example of how editing the Alpha can create a nice lit effect in darker area of you map.

Notice the difference in the brightness of the buttons compared to the brightness of the lit front on the machine.

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 04:10
low light 2

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2008 04:11 Edited at: 14th Jul 2008 04:36
Low Light 3

btw in case you were wondering yes the machine will be functional in the game when it is finished.

That's it for now

Squalker

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice pics Squalker. This tutorial will be very useful when finished.

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 06:08
any updates on this?
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 20:44 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 20:51
@Nomad Soul
I have finally figured out how to do everything in the GIMP. If you would like me to add anything let me know. I have 3 screenshots.
Screen 1

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 20:45 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 20:51
Screen 2

Attachments

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 20:46 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 20:51
Last Screen

Attachments

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 02:55
wow looks amazing
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 03:44 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 03:48
Thanks it only took about 3 months for me to figure this out. lol
@ Nomad Soul
I will be on vacation for the next week so if you want my help send me a message on xbox live or by email and I will add the stuff when I get back.

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2008 04:35 Edited at: 19th Jul 2008 04:38
Quote: "any updates on this?"

Still waiting to hear from Nomad on his part.

Quote: "I have finally figured out how to do everything in the GIMP. If you would like me to add anything let me know. I have 3 screenshots."

I would be interested in hearing it if you want to write it up and email it to me.

PS Screenies look good
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Squalker
Alright I will write it up and send it to you next week. I will be on vacation this week and where I will be does not have internet. Thanks for the comments.

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question- will the tutorial also explain how to get all that stuff in-game? I kind of know how to do the normal maps and all that but am not quite sure about getting it to work...

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 02:33 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2008 02:35
All

Firstly well done Squalker and Game Freak16 for your awesome screenshots of the vending machine and segment. Your contributions to the tutorial will be invaluable.

@Squalker

I've emailed you a fairly complete version of the tutorial now in Word format. Please add your information for Crazy Bump, Paint.Net and setting up an entity .fpe

@Game Freak16

Please send me a message on Xbox Live with your email address once back from vacation so I can send a copy of the tutorial to you for your information on GIMP.

Once you and Squalker have added your info please send back to me so I can compile it all ready for release.

@Crumbaker

Shouldn't be too much longer now. Sorry for the delay

@Jingle Fett

I've included a section in the tutorial for setting up a segment .fps to use diffuse, normal and specular textures in X10 and asked Squalker to do one for setting up an entity .fpe so you will know how to get both segments and entities into your game with normal and specular mapping effects.

Once the tutorial is ready for release I'll also be uploading a seamless version of the normal and specular mapped stone segment as shown in the 1st post of this thread so you can check my files against your own custom ones for reference.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2008 08:03
Nomad Soul, would you mind releasing this in the Gunn3r Games Informer as well as here? It'll be more widely spread out that way, and give you some more reads.

Gunn3r Games
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Nomad Soul
I just got back from vacation. I will send you a message later today.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:24:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:24:12