Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / [PhysX Comp 2008] Sett's entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 20:41
So, here is my entry. This is the second time that I use PhysX, so let's hope it turns out well. Also, I decided for my category to use Soft Bodies. My aim is to use a 3D soft body model and use it for a series of tests to see how the soft body react. Here are a few of my ideas that I would like to implement:

What happens if...
...the model is struck by a lot of dynamic rigid bodies?
...the model is used as an advanced machinery?
...the model is surrounded by fluids?
...the model is on a cloth object?
...the model is the origin of a force feild?

Those are only a few. I would like to have at least a dozen of ideas like that. I have taken some screenshots, but this is really a WIP, as I have only a soft body loaded and dynamic rigid body falling on it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/SeppukuArts/screen1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/SeppukuArts/screen2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/SeppukuArts/screen3.jpg

This is it for now. I will continue the project really soon.

Windows Vista, Q6600 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram 800mhz - low latency, 8800 GTS 512 mb
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 21:59
does the physx viewer make tet files for you or does it crash on export?

chunks

toshiba satellite 1.6 core duo + nvidia geforce go 7300
windows xp pro.
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 00:20
it makes it for me. I've figured a way to export it. Now all I have to do is to make some optimization, as the mesh is all messed up when a collision occurs.

Windows Vista, Q6600 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram 800mhz - low latency, 8800 GTS 512 mb
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 11:49
Can you ellaborate on this i really would like to be able to use my own soft bodies .

many thanks chunks.

windows xp pro.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 13:20
Send me the model you want to convert to TET, and I will pass it onto the relevant people to help you get your models converted to soft bodies (email me at lee@thegamecreators.com).

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 17:55 Edited at: 4th Jul 2008 17:59
Here is what I did to convert my .obj model into a .tet one. As the lastest verions of PhysXViewer didn't worked, I download some older version, and found one that worked. The version 2.7.3 of the SDK is working for me. Download it, go try the PhysXViewer and load your .obj model. Generate your model, and when the time comes to export it as a .tet, God willing, it will work! ^^

I wish you luck for your soft body entry, as I had myself a good laugh when I first saw it in action.

Now for a little update. The model is no more messed up when a collision occurs. Also, I have decided of my way for the user to interact through the tests: he will be able to drag the model around the scene with his mouse, while the tests are happening.

EDIT: By the way, Lee, is that ok if my model come from turbosquid? Or do I need a written permission from the author? I ask that, because I remember that some models on that web site were free to use in non-comercial applications whitout a problem, but I ask myself if that has changed by the past years.

Windows Vista, Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 2gb Ram 800mhz - low latency, 8800 GTS 512 mb
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 18:53
thanks mate that will help loads .

can`t wait to get stuck in to soft bodies.

windows xp pro.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 19:14
Thanks sett, 2.7.3 works for me unlike 281 which does not save.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 19:50
Thanks sett, that worked. Good luck with your entry
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2008 21:12
thanks sett well found works a treat

good luck .

windows xp pro.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2008 13:27
You must own all the media you use in your demo, or you must have the right to use that media for commercial purposes, and also have the right to grant a license to use that media for commercial purposes as part of a game or demo. I suspect models from Turbo Squid are downloaded with the understanding that you can use them commercially, but you will need to clarify this for yourself. When you submit a demo using media you did not create yourself, YOU need to grant us the license to be able to redistribute the demo (and its media) for our own purposes. Easiest to do if the model was created by yourself of course.

NOTE: The free media that we have provided for the competition is entirely owned by TGC and so this issue is taken care of. Additionally any media from the Game Creator Store can also be used as there is a commercial use clause provided when you purchase those models. To check out the store, download the free version of FPS Creator, auto update to the latest version and click the store button in the bottom left corner to begin. You can browse the models, download them and locate the media in the FPSC folder for use in your demos.

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:58:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:58:23