Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Who here would be interested in free hosting?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 06:18
...for all your models?
I was reading the competition model database thread and Ruccus said he would be interested in someone setting up a site to host 3D models. I have an insane amount of unused space on my wed server that I've been looking to fill.
If anyone would be interested in this, please say so.
Here's how it would work:
You would email me the model, and I would test it out. (to make sure that it works and is not just trash or infected with a virus or anything.)
I would then create a page for it on my website, complete with images, info on you and your work, and a download link. (or no download, if you don't want it.)
Once you have contributed enough models, (say, 10 of them, maybe) you would get your own gallery section dedicated to your work alone.
I have plenty of space, and it is continually growing, so don't be shy.

So, anyone interested? Questions? Suggestions?

...but I am the ferret king!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! tremble before my ferret minions!

Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds nice, but emailing probably won't work work in most cases. File transfer most likely is the way to go.

I'd take you up on the offer, but I have no models to yet post up. Just wait till the fall for me

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 06:48
Yeah, I'm trying to think up another way. I SUPPOSE I could set up a public account for my sites FTP, and just limit it to only uploading to one directory. But then, some jerk might come along and decide to delete everything before I get to it...
Oh, well. I think of something.

...but I am the ferret king!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! tremble before my ferret minions!

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 11:30
there are a few. Use mine if u want, Add free for tgc.

Free Webhosting = http://unlhosting.info --Send support ticket to get ad free
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 19:03
@Mr Makealotofsmoke:
first, I just wanted to point out that it says "5 mysql databases" on one part of that page, and "7 mysql databases" on another part. Just letting you know so you can fix it.
second, I'm not talking about a full website for each person's models, just a page for each model. (and your own gallery if you store enough.) I actually have over 565 GB of unused space, so I could probably afford to give each user at least a Gigabyte of space. The amount of space grows, too. I get another 2GB every week. I have over 6.4 TB of bandwidth, which also grows. I'm not trying to brag or make you look bad or anything, I'm just putting out the specs of my site.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 23:02 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 22:39
EDIT: I changed the uploading method. Now you've got to go the forums and create a thread about your work in the Member content submission forum. upload the file as an attachment to your post, and I'll take a look at it. The public FTP account has been deleted, so don't bother trying that anymore.
See my posts below for further details.

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Geryon
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, this looks pretty cool. And it might get me to start trying to make models again. I've played around with modelling, but I haven't done a lot with it. This might be fun.
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 01:27 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 01:27
For those who are interested, the site has been updated with an entirely new look.

http://www.threeswordsproductions.com

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 13:36 Edited at: 5th Aug 2008 13:37
That looks a lot better than it used to - I can't speak for how it looks on a big screen. It has a slightly somehow unprofessional feel - but it is definitely a massive improvement.

I've recently been writing a site using CSS. So far, I've only done the layout, using notepad and Paint. What do you think?
[href:www.starsofphaton.110mb.com]My site[/href]

ASUSTek Eee PC 701 4G Black - Celeron M @630mHz - 512Mb RAM - 32Mb Shared Intel GMA 900 - Windows XP Home SP1 - No antivirus/firewall.
And it still boots quicker than any other laptop I've seen.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 13:54
I suggested a way for this to work in that exact thread. Of having a file uploader and a rating system. The file uploader would ensure the file has a model extension. Then users would comment / rate the upload to help others determine if its safe or not / how good the model is. Mods would test the models themselves and give it a sign of approval for popular searched items. Every month a mod would go through the site and delete any models rated bad / as a virus.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 18:14
Well, in all honesty, there are only three mods on my site. I have a better idea of what I could do though... I'll post it later, I g2g.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2008 19:51 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 23:24
EDIT: site fixed! it now displays correctly in IE! It was a really stupid mistake too... I was in a rush and I missed it.
But its fixed now!

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 06:45 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 06:46
UPDATE:
I've set up a special forum for submitting content.
http://www.threeswordsproductions.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12
You can submit 3D models, textures, audio... Anything that meets my site's TOU.
http://www.threeswordsproductions.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3
I've deleted the public FTP account, so that will no longer work.
Feel free to upload stuff for consideration. Just be aware that not EVERYTHING will be selected for hosting on the main site. You can post any content (that meets the TOU) on the forums, but that doesn't guarantee it will get its own page on the main site.
Enjoy!

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 15:14 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 15:16
Filezilla Server allows you to allow users to connect up to a server, upload but not delete. You could also use this VB program I discovered to prevent file deletion.

http://members.tripod.com/m-saiedivisual_basic.htm#Prevent%20Deletion = Prevent Deletion

Jonathan Hay
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 22:40
Hmm... I'll look into that. Thanks, Miposter.

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 23:10
Oh, and I'm interested in this as well. Could you possibly keep me notified (via e-mail if possible) on this as I'll soon forget (I'm a very busy guy).

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan Hay

Click to visit Miposter's Page
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 23:15 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 23:29
@ Miposter:
Everything is already set up to upload your files. I MIGHT be looking for a better way. But, since the current way (the forum upload) works fine, I won't be putting any hugely tremendous effort into it.

Just go here:
http://www.threeswordsproductions.com/Forums/viewforum.php?f=16
and create a new thread for your work. You will need to sign up for an account, though. But if you're ready, go ahead and upload something!

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 23:21
Quote: " I'm MIGHT"

You are might? Wow, you have to be powerful

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 23:32 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 23:33
lol, thanks for pointing that out.
Although I AM powerful. I once defeated a mod! He was 12 feet tall and had glowing red eyes. Blood dripped from his 3 inch fangs... Then.. He attacked! It was a ferocious battle, but I won out in the end!

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yeah, I'm trying to think up another way. I SUPPOSE I could set up a public account for my sites FTP, and just limit it to only uploading to one directory. But then, some jerk might come along and decide to delete everything before I get to it...
Oh, well. I think of something."

Set the CHMOD to upload and read but not delete.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 00:11
oh... yeah...
(face palms repeatedly)
HOW did I not think not that?! Still, I think I like using the forums a little better.

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL I wouldn't have remembered but TGC did that for the uploading of Physics games

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 00:44
Ah, I see. Still i like using the Forums.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 19:55
@ NeX:
I finally got the chance to look at your site, and that background is REALLY distracting. I can barely read the text in front of that checkerboard pattern.
Also, your Navigation links on the left side of the page bleed off of that tan-ish border you have, making them impossible to read.
And, on your links page, you left the links the default blu3e color, so nobody can read them.
These are some serious flaws you need to correct.
Just a little constructive criticism.
ALSO: Is anybody going to upload anything? Its all ready to go.

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 23:21 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 23:21
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that I'll be putting a more playable demo of my WIP "Guitar villain" game on the site soon.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=134953&b=8
So keep your eyes open for it in Jhwetzel's contributor gallery.
http://www.threeswordsproductions.com/HTML/JHWetzel's_gallery.html

Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 05:58
Hey, sorry to bump this (semi)old thread, but I thought it'd be better than making a new one. I've uploaded a customizable Demo of Guitar Villain to ThreeSwordsProductions.com
It's here.
This demo allows you to play a song you made yourself. Just follow the steps in the INSTRUCTIONS.txt file (included with the download) and you can play a song of your own design!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 06:13 Edited at: 17th Aug 2008 06:13
Enough bumping already. If you've made some games just post them in the correct forum.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:54:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:54:17