Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tutorial: Export a complete Level from Sketchup to FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 13:10 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 13:16
Sketchup to FPSCreator Tutorial

In this tutorial, i will describe how to export a (small) Level design from GoogleSketchup to FPSCreator.
To follow this tutorial, you will need (at least the free version of) Sketchup (and maybe some tools to convert 3ds to .x if you go the Pro way).
For the free version you need the DirectX export plugin available for free here:

http://edecadoudal.googlepages.com/xExporter.rb

I assume you have your level design ready in Sketchup, heres mine:

The model needs to be exploded (no groups and component instances) to be exported properly.

So now lets go and export some geometry. To have our level design appear in FPSC, all geometry sharing the same material must be grouped to one .x entity where all entities must share the same pivot point. Here's what you do:
1)In the material editor, select a material, rightClick and choose "select". This will select all faces painted with this texture:

2)Now rightClick on one of the selected faces and choose "Group" to group all faces of the same material together.

EXPORT PROCESS with PRO vs FREE Version

Export with Sketchup Pro:
go to "File->Export->3dModel.."

...and export to .3ds with this options selected:

You need to convert the .3ds to x using a third party app like Milkshape, Fragmotion to name a few. I use Cinema 4d with a free plugin but thats a bit over the top if you only need it to convert files
Now with your .x file you can create an entity in entity workshop and (re)texture it with the apropriate material.

Export with the free version:

Select ALL geometry in your Model by hitting control+A. Now with your shift key pressed, click on the group you created in step 2) to DESELECT it. DELETE all geometry but the group, then go to Plugins->DirectX->Export Model:

and save with a meaningful filename (myLevel_part001.x for example).

With the free version, you would now make an entity from your group....
but first lets go back to Sketchup.

Undo your deleting, choose the next Material, rinse, repeat until all material groups are exported to seperate files that can be made entities.

Heres what i had after exporting all groups:

When you created all entities from your material groups you are ready to go with FPSC!

In FPSC, choose add Entity and select your first piece of the level.

Make sure you're in segment align mode (press b twice!) and place your entity at the top left tile in the editor. All your following entities must be placed there the same to align so carefully repeat this step until youre done.

If you did everithing neat and correct, your level design is almost ready now.
What i did further to solve character collision issues was thatI replaced the Sketchup floors with segment floor tiles and stair segments.

To add some atmosphere i added some ww2 lamp posts and lit the level. also i placed the ww2 car wreck near the viaduct...
The Demo (along with some minor faults i discovered )can be found here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131886&b=25

and here is a Screenshot:

The greatest advantage of this technique (along with te more natural design approach you have in Sketchup) is that you only export the neccessary geometry, leaving out all thats not visible, thus making your map small and fast even on older gfx cards (my nvidia 5200 gave me solid 30 and better fps).

Solutions to possible problems:
-Geometry not visible: check if you painted Backfaces in Sketchup(blue by default). These will not show up in FPSC. also check if you forgot to texture hardly visible parts....
-Walls are passable in FPSC: Remove floor behind the wall. if There is a floor behind a single sided wall, it seems that FPSC doesn't collision check it. (that is the case in some places of my Demo, if you like, take a walk outside the map )

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 13:29
Heres a .pdf of the tutorial for download.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tjaabee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 14:23
Yippe! It's here!
Thanks so much for this daarboven!

Best.

GIMME COKE!
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 14:26
daarboven

Thanks very much for this and the time you have taken to compile it for the rest of the comunity.
I have been looking at this and may well buy Sketchup Pro just to try and recreate levels the way you have done. This method you use may well be a step forward for game design with FPSC which gives the user much more scope.

Again, thanks and all the best of luck.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 14:36
@ ross tra damus: the best things in life are free, and so is sketchup with the directx plugin. I described how to follow the tutorial even without pro, so you can easily test before you buy. But from my point of view Sketchup pro is money well spent since i use it to model all my stuff to a certain extent even if i alter the models later on with other packages!

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 14:45
Thats a lovely level you have there, Thanks for the tut also

My MMORPG: check out the forums at http://www.mechtec.net/forum

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 17:50
daarboven,

This tutorial is greatly appreciated. Having SketchUp Pro myself, this will definitely open the flood gates.

Beau coup level maps will no doubt come in rapid fashion, down the pike.

Thanks,

Seth Black

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 18:23
Wish i had time on my hands to go back at level design but my schedule only allowed me to hack together this short tutorial with an existing level experiment...to bad
Glad you like the tutorial, though

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 18:43
*Cough* This is going into the Gunn3r Games Informer *cough*

This is a great tutorial. Now all I have to do is learn Sketchup well enough to create levels...

Gunn3r Games
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 19:27
...it's got a pretty easy interface, and has a great learning curve.

You'll have it down in no time...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 19:39 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 19:43
Well, considering this is what I've got and I've only been messing around for a couple of minutes, I'd say I'm okay.

Gunn3r Games

Attachments

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 19:57
...that looks darn nice, gunn3r.

Please do keep us updated as to what you end up with...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 20:19 Edited at: 6th Aug 2008 22:10
I will, as soon as I figure out how to properly import them into FPSC. The .fpe is correct and everything, but I'm getting a really really small entity. The size is 395cm tall in Sketchup, so I'm not sure why it's not importing right...

EDIT: Pic attached.

2nd EDIT:

That's the FPE for one of the groups. As you can tell, I haven't edited that much of it.

3RD EDIT: Poly Count: 1130.

Gunn3r Games

Attachments

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 22:43
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I can't seem to figure it out... I got it in using Entity Maker, but they appear gray. Also, Seth Black wanted an update on how it's looking... Attached is the current form of it. Can you guess where it's going?

Gunn3r Games

Attachments

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2008 23:19
try putting scale=100 in there as I see no scale condition...

I know not what WWIII will be fought but I do know that WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 00:11
Thanks Dar13. That was part of the problem. I added onto the map and tried it again and it worked perfectly!

Gunn3r Games

Attachments

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 00:20 Edited at: 7th Aug 2008 00:24
@ gunn3r: The reason why the balcony roof doesn't appear is because you made it inside out in Sketchup (that infamous blue face color i see in your first screenshot). You have a button in your toolbar that shows your model in "clay mode"(a box with blue and beige triangles on it). switch to clay mode to find backfaces in your model. select them and right click and choose "reverse faces". now the normals of these faces point outwards so they will be rendered in FPSCreator.

And now holster your gun and release my thread, infamous h1jackr

*cough* if there is enough people asking i could give some sketchup lessons...let me know what you lack *cough*

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2008 00:50
Ah. Thanks daarboven.

Gunn3r Games
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Daarboven, anything else you can show us would be great. I have been making 3D models for a couple of years now with other software, but for level design, Sketchup seems to be much more fun!
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 07:57
Thanks, any advice to get the entity exactly the right size. Because I am having problems with that...

[url=][/url][href]http://www.rampagemod.webs.com[\href]
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 08:00
If you follow the scale of 254cm=1 segment, you should be able to size your entities properly.

Gunn3r Games
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 08:07
Thanks man, again.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 08:16
Not a problem. I'm just here to help.

Gunn3r Games
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 10:01
254cm=1 segment applies when exporting via the Direct x plugin.
100cm=1 segment applies when exporting a .3ds and setting Model units to 1:1 in the options dialogue ( .3ds export is Sketchup Pro only).

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 16:16
Daarboven, this is a fantastic tutorial. Heck, I would have done all this already if I had known how to scale and move textures, and now i do! Thanks again!

The Simon Cowell of TGC.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 16:20 Edited at: 11th Aug 2008 16:21
Oh and for anyone who wants to know, 8 inches 4 in sketchup is the surface area of a floor segment in fpsc...

The Simon Cowell of TGC.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 01:16
Great tutorial

Can't wait to start seeing the maps that will come about as a result of this.

The fact this can be achieve with a free application is the icing on the cake.

Thanks for this contribution
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 05:46
Well, if you pay $.50, you can download the one that I made for Tristan Craft. It's a concept level to see what I could do with Sketchup. It can be found here.

Gunn3r Games
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 08:30
@Nomad Soul,Aaagreen: Thanks for the encouragement, look at the village demo linked in my first post to see the tutorial level for yourself...
@Gunn3r:Thanks for hijacking this thread again but sure i will have a look at your demo...

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 08:33 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 08:45
-edit-
nvm.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 08:35 Edited at: 12th Aug 2008 08:37
Sorry about that. I'll refrain from now on. Send me an email. You shouldn't have to pay for it. You taught me how to do it, after all.

Gunn3r Games
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 08:54
I just nagged at you a little, don't mind or take it to serious, at least you are a fellow sketchup afficionado andkeep this thread alive...thanks for the generous offer!*

*I tend to throw groceries sometimes, sorry for that

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 09:02
Dude...lol Sketchup is like an awesome 3d realtime map editor for fpsc, just without physics etc...But it really gives you lots of control!

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 09:22
I wonder if this would work in other game engines. I assume this wouldn't work in x10 with it's one texture rule, am I correct?
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 09:34
It would work as long as you can port it to the model format that the game engine uses.

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 11:45
Quote: "I assume this wouldn't work in x10 with it's one texture rule"

I don't know to much about this one texture rule, but the catch of my tutorial is that each of the objects you export from sketchup has only one texture applied. In my example, i had all geometry with the stone texture grouped and exported, all roof textured geometry g+e...you get the picture. So please explain to me this rule and we maybe figure out if it would work with X10....

gladius
Years of Service
User Offline
what are the extra toolbar options?
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 09:46
Quote: "what are the extra toolbar options?"

if you mean my SketchUp tools, here they are:
top row: SketchyPhysics(physics in Sketchup, fun to play with), the 3dwarehouse buttons (default Sketchup), the layer menue(default SketchUp)
mid row:Sketchup Model and skinning tools(default), LightUp(global Illumination Demo Plugin), Tools on Surface (modeling plugin, highly reccomended)
bottom row:Sandbox tools(Sketchup default, good for terrain and irregular/organic shapes)and SoapSkinBubble(awesome for tensile structures like tents or boats or lorry covers, though a bit high-poly.Use with caution.)

Other tools you don't see but which i reccomend are:
helix, roof, windowizer, uv tools (these go into the tools or rightmouse or plugins menue).

wentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys. I have some problems with SU. First, the scaling entity. It's always big. Do you know a way to correct scaling? How can I do that in SU? I am exporting the object via SU .x plugin. After that open the Entity Workshop and importin there. But scale problem. Object is too big. I did use a .skp file for that. I found it in this forum. But still same.

Second, Entity workshop sometimes giving a warning message. "Runtime Error 7003 - Mesh does not exist at line 400" what's that meaning? I'm always making the same things. But I got this warning mostly.

Third, if I could open my .x file with entity workshop then it's looking tilted. I can make 1 or 2 entity without any warning. But when I open it in FPSC, entity is tilted as in entity workshop.

I'm going crazy. Is there a short and stable way to make an entity with using SU? Thank you for your helping.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 18:08
Quote: "Do you know a way to correct scaling?"

if you use SketchupPro:
1 segment= 100x100x100 cm, be sure to set export to "model Units " in the .3ds export options dialogue.

if you go with the xport plugin:
1 segment = 253x253x253 cm.

export either .3ds or .x (depending on your asset pipeline)

Quote: ""Runtime Error 7003 - Mesh does not exist at line 400""

I got this when i tried to convert .obj to .x Just don't do it. use .3ds

Quote: "Third, if I could open my .x file with entity workshop then it's looking tilted."

sounds like you have axis trouble. happens most likely in the .obj conversion.

Quote: "I'm going crazy. Is there a short and stable way to make an entity with using SU?"

I do it and even sell them in the store
1)make your mesh in SU. give it a SINGLE texture in .tga format which you can reuse later for uv placement.
2)export to .3ds and convert this to .x
2a) you can also use the xport plugin i mentioned in my tute above.
3)make it an entity in entity workshop. if you set up your model to the right scale prior to exporting, you should be fine by now.

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 21:05 Edited at: 28th Oct 2008 22:55
Hey,

Your totorial is really great!
There' s one thing i dont' t rally understand:

and save with a meaningful filename (myLevel_part001.x for example).

Quote: "With the free version, you would now make an entity from your group....
but first lets go back to Sketchup.

Undo your deleting, choose the next Material, rinse, repeat until all material groups are exported to seperate files that can be made entities.

Heres what i had after exporting all groups:"

How can you do that? Make it all right with X9?

And is it also possible to use with X10? I no created a gret pyramid

thanks!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 21:46
Could use please learn how to use quotes Rakker? It's hard to tell what you said and what you're quoting....

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Voila
Killer666
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 01:23 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 01:24
@ Daarboven

You should make the PDF file really big with more and more tuts in it so people can use sketchup more like better textures or how to create a basic scene and what you write about for pro version also do for the free version.

[EDIT]

And could you do a vid of your level to give us a better idea

Thanks.

http://killer-fps.weebly.com
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
I followed your tutorial, however after I load it into FPS Creator (using FPS Creator X10) it does not load the model. I can see it in the editor, but not in game

I have included the entity itself that I am trying to export from Sketchup using the Direct X Export Plugin

wall_entity.x
wall_entity.fpe
wall_entity.jpg
wall_entity.bmp (thumb nail)
wall_entity_test.fpm
wall_entity.skp

Attachments

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 14:14
Quote: "and save with a meaningful filename (myLevel_part001.x for example)."

Means that you split your sketchup model by materials. if you use for example a brickwall and a woodfloor along with a concrete stair then you export one mesh with the brick texture, one mesh with the wood texture and yes! one mesh with the concrete texture. If you have an object consisting of multiple materials, you export all parts with one!!! material as a single mesh.

Quote: "You should make the PDF file really big with more and more tuts in it so people can use sketchup more like better textures or how to create a basic scene"

If I only had time (or someone paying me for writing tutes LOL) I could do some Sketchup education for FPSC users. But since i have Dayjobs, Family and other fancy stuff like learning the Banjo i can only try to answer SPECIFIC QUESTIONS, like: "how do i position my texture right in SU" or "how to use the FollowMe-Tool"

Quote: "however after I load it into FPS Creator (using FPS Creator X10) it does not load the model."

Sorry,pal, but i use FPSC9...So maybe some X10 user helps out here????

Reyvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool tutorial you got here.

Within about an hour of installing I was able to construct a map that contained 8 different multi-leveled urban-style buildings (modelled inside and out) without having to bother with a more complex 3D modelling application at all.

This will definitely speed up production time on my project (and I'm sure a lot of other people's too), so...

Thanks a bunch.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 20:24 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 20:34
Quote: "Means that you split your sketchup model by materials. if you use for example a brickwall and a woodfloor along with a concrete stair then you export one mesh with the brick texture, one mesh with the wood texture and yes! one mesh with the concrete texture. If you have an object consisting of multiple materials, you export all parts with one!!! material as a single mesh."

I undersatnd why but how should i do that? Thanks!

Quote: " Install : Copy script to PLUGINS folder in SketchUp folder, run SketchUp, go to Plugins > Export DirectX...
Try loading your model in DirectX Viewer

Feed Back appreciated"

Ehhhh.... how can you do That? install a script... in notepad or so?
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 23:42
Quote: "I undersatnd why but how should i do that? Thanks!"

Ok, heres a step-by-step to follow:
1)make your model and texture it. go wild. use multiple materials. no limit but your imagination.
2) now come a nifty little trick that works like a charm, but as with all black magic has a little drawback: you must sign with your blood down here, err, just kidding, now serious, your model must be exploded- no groups, no components, just faces and lines are allowed. you can select all (CTRL+A) and then right click and explode until no blue bounding boxes remain and all is one mesh.
THEN you go to your material manager, go to "in Model" where all your used textures are and select them one by one with right click>select. This selects all parts of the mesh that share this particular material. NOW group this piece and select the next, group, select,group etc until your through with your material library. When done, you have a lot of groups that each useone material.
3) last you select ONE group, go to export>3d model, choose 3ds as your format and on export go to options and select "export only current selection". This is how you export what i would call "material groups".

Quote: "Ehhhh.... how can you do That? install a script... in notepad or so? "

Plugins for sketchup are scripts in the ruby language. means you can read them with notepad. you install sketchup plugins by placing the script like mycoolplugin.rb in sketchups plugin directory until not advised another place. there are tons of useful plugins available, youst google "ruby for sketchup" if youre interested...

Reyvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just a simple question (I think, lol) since I am (still) waiting for my downloadable copy of FPSC I can't really test it myself...

Have you had any collision issues doing this?

My main concern is that some of my buildings will likely not align perfectly with the floor (mostly they go through it and the actual "floor" of the model is slightly raised).

So, is it likely that this could cause me any issues down the road with collision?

If so, I'll just have to do some slight re-design on my maps, which is no big deal. I just didn't want to build some epic map 100%, then have to go back and start all over again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 13:05:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 13:05:10