Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2d tile advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys

I'm trying to get my head around how a 2d platformer works. The classic retro type. Where the player would move off screen and another background image would load. Am I right in thinking this is done by creating the image in a set of tiles?
Are there any examples of code out there that show this happening. I would love to create a retro platformer but have no clue on how to make the background move in this fashion.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 19:05
Yes you are correct. I will try to find a good example for you. Most of them though will smooth scroll the backround, and use parallax scrolling for a # of layers. Rather than loading an entire background when you reach the edge of the screen.

So I'm not sure which one you want. Think super mario brothers/sonic (smooth scrolling + parallax scrolling) vs. Pitfall

~Zenassem
Tattered brush
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your quick reply and help.

I am interested in making a side scroller eventually, like ghouls n ghosts for example.
At the moment I am more interested in the old style load background screen like the early Amstrad cpc titles such as Deathsville, Batman the Caped Crusader, Joe Blade 2, Trapdoor.
At the moment it just seems beyond me how they managed to do this.
Databug
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 03:46 Edited at: 5th Dec 2008 04:18
hows this? its very simple and u can only move left and right with the arrow keys. I think this is what ur askin for.

hope it helps
Tattered brush
Years of Service
User Offline
It was what I was looking for thanks very much, I will try this over the weekend.
Would it be better to use 1 image or tiles for the background, I guess tiling the image would be harder.
Thanks agai for your help
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I would still like to see what Zenassem was looking for, if he managed to find anything?

Tom

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 00:42:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 00:42:47