Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkNOOBS Project 2: Tower Defense

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, we are beginning our second project, a tower defense clone. There are many free versions out there, so I expect everyone to play it to get a feel for it, if you aren\'t already familiar with it. Also, I would suggest playing several versions so that you can get a feel for features you like and features you don\'t like.

That being said, lets shoot for a date of completion of January 5th. That gives us four weeks to pull this together.

Here are your initial job assignments:

Irojo-Enemy Waypoint AI (using arrays to store the different waypoints)

Ashingda-Get to work on the graphics. Start with the towers and other essentials and move from to less important things such as backgrounds and such

Quirkyjim-I want you to start work on the store. Don\'t forget to keep it modular enough that we can add things as time permits.

Stefan-Your job is to take on the scoring system/currency system. Remember, there will be different types of enemies so you will need to consider what enemy is getting killed, their value for being killed and how to handle how much health to lose.

These are your assignments, I may jump in and take one if necessary.

Lets do it! I will post all the jobs on the team forums ( http://darknoobsgames.forumsland.com/ ). When you finish your job, post it, and you can move onto another job of your choice once your code is approved. Here are the code rules:

-All code MUST BE INDENTED. You can use [TAB] if you don\'t want to use multiple spaces.

-COMMENTS MUST BE USED FREQUENTLY TO EXPLAIN NOT ONLY WHAT IS GOING ON BUT WHY IT IS BEING DONE THAT WAY! (don\'t need an essay, just explain why a variable is a float or whatever).

-Keep your code clean. A capitalization method I have used/seen that works is: Commands are FULLY capitalized, variables and arrays are lower case, functions use capitals at the beginning of the words (such as MouseX or GetDistance).

-All posted code must be in either a FUNCTION or a SUBROUTINE! Do not simply post code (unless it is a standalone test for a feature that you need bug tested).

My job will be to compile the code and to create the subroutine skeleton (will get on that in a couple days after finals).

For anyone interested, there are still some jobs available, so if you want to join, now is a great time.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 16:47 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 17:05
Awsome I'll get to work right away boss!

[edit]

Have a question, what kind of towers we looking for, futurisic or medival?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmmmm good question and one I had not thought of yet ... I vote medieval. If no one has another opinion by midday today (depending on your timezone, it is morning here) go with that.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 17:56
Others voted futuristic, however, I vote medieval.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Lets go medieval, as I am sure it will be a lot easier for ashingda to make medieval towers rather than futuristic ones.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 20:24
Alright. I personally don't like modern games. I'm busy at the moment, but will be working on the enemies soon. If you aren't busy, or working on anything you could start with some sort of opening logo. Obviously this isn't important, but if you are bored, there's something to do.

BN2, I made a few posts on the forums. Instead of repeating them here, if you have the chance, please check em out.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 20:25 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 20:30
[edit]
nevermind

[edit 2]
As far as the waypoints go, just work on the system, and we can plug in values later.

image size=640x480

since it won't be tile based movement, don't worry about tiling.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 21:04 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 21:04
Okay. I will attempt to make it a system that has a controllable path. (I.g. it can be a straight line, horrizontal, bend at 10 different points etc.)

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just thinking of a straight line, but if you want to do the extra stuff, that would be awesome.

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 21:40 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 21:44
Hey I have a good tower,I can let you use. Here is how it looks.

Edit: it can be changed but that should be the mean idea of it. i prefer to scan images, so like penciel drawn but on com.

edit2: If we use this i have to give credit to my sis cause she drew it for me

I was here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 21:41
Okay BN2. I'll see what I can pull together.

It's pretty darned complicated.

I download memory.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 21:55 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 22:01
well heres what i got for my part just the idea anyway
]

Edit: no problem just tell me some of the variable and things cause its hard to make a scoreup system with the variables. and are you talking about code or pic

I was here.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Just get the straight line and movement, then if you are feeling compelled to, you can do some of the fancier stuff (wouldn't know where to begin with the 10 point curve)

@stefan:
interesting, we may be able to use it. Will look into it. Thanks

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:01
I'll get right to work on the store.

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:03 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 22:05
Here's what I got so far on the tower images.

The arrows shot from the towers and fort will be drawn with the line/box/line Function or whatever.

Attachments

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:19 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 22:20
Suggestion Different colors would help the catapult wheels standout something like this

Only top part with cracks is done but feel free to use it

I was here.

Attachments

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:25
Here is more code for my part

I was here.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:30 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 22:34
@Stefan
Global doesn't work in dbc, but for some reason arrays are global. An thanks about the concern for the wheels on the catapult but we're trying to get done as soon as posible so it's not very neccessary to got into that level of detail.

BTW, If I'm missing on some info concerning global variables let me know.

@All
What other towers do you guys want?
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:50
Good ones

~QJ
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:59 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 23:11
Nice ashingda, and you are right about the globals. good work that was fast!

@Stefan:
Those look like they should be subroutines, rather than functions.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, the tower image will be left open for more tower types.

As this task is put on hold for a bit, may I work on the enemy images?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure! Be my guest to prioritize the media as you think it is necessary.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 01:39 Edited at: 10th Dec 2008 01:41
Ok some questions about the enemy.

1) How will the enemies look like. Irojo said to have dots but that wasn't finalize and I'm not sure what to do with dots.

What I have in mind was Faces shown below.

When a an angry face gets hit it will turn happier going to the left, if the first "green" face gets hit it will die or just disapear. This was based off of baloon tower defence.

2) How many different types/levels of enemies. And I believe we voted to have no boss.

3) Will the enemies be animated such as walking/dying/etc.. My thoughs on faces was that there wasn't any need for animation which will be simpler thus we'll finnish in a more timely manner.

4) When attacked will the enemies have HP or get down-graded like in baloon defense?

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 02:39
I really like that idea!

Could the face on the right look less evil?

I don't want to stare at that all day.

4) Downgraded. I like the way you have it.
3) Agreed.

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I second what Irojo said, though I don't mind the one on the right.

2)No boss
3)I like the faces
4)Downgraded. HP for multiple characters could get a little difficult

Perhaps we should call the game "McDonalds Defense-Putting a smile on by any and all means necessary"

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 16:38 Edited at: 10th Dec 2008 16:56
Ok here's the Face images, if there are any request I'll update it.

The size of the faces are 26x26. When they die they will just simply disappear.

This task is through with for now, BN2 may I take on the Tower Shooting AI?

[edit]

Oops, Sinani seem to have taken that task already, but he did say he might not be able to do it though.

Attachments

Jamesb187
Years of Service
User Offline
Chaps,

Is it too late for me to help out? If so happy to bow out, but if I can lend a hand let me know. I'm pretty noobish, so think I qualify, but managed to code Pong and Space Invaders recently so hoping I'm not too hopeless to help.

Cheers,

Jim
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 17:03
Those faces are awesome.

Update on my assignment:

I've created three versions now. So far, I've only managed to accomplish the enemies to move in a group essentially. They go down like a few spaces, then the next one comes. Then, when they all are together, the next one goes, and the second etc. Which is not the idea. So I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

Just so you know it's being worked on.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Irojo
For the enemies how are you keeping track of their x,y values?
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 17:45
Two different arrays.
--
Creepsnumber=10

DIM Creepx(Creepsnumber)
DIM Creepy(Creepsnumber)
--

So the enemies are controlled by the two arrays.

The x,y would be the top left hand corner of the image.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 17:54 Edited at: 10th Dec 2008 18:15
You can try using multi arrays to make it easier (hopefully).

This way it's also easier to add more variables in such as:

[edit]

@Jamesb187
It's never too late to help, BN2 is the Project Manager and he's the one who assigns tasks, if you have a particular task you want to fill, you can also request his permission.

Visit our website for more info on jobs:
http://darknoobsgames.forumsland.com/darknoobsgames.html

A few things to know.

- If you haven't already, read Obese's Tutorial: How To Write Well Presented And Efficient Code.http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=138230&b=10

- Submit a small program that displays an analogue clock that tells the current time on the Noobs Wanted thread when you can. This helps to better assign tasks.

- When working on a task, your codes must be only be subroutines or functions().

- If you have to post multipule times in a row, just edit your last post instead so you dont double/triple/etc post.

- Lastly if you need any help just ask. We're all in this to learn and get better or help others anyways.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jamesb187

I second most of what ashingda said. You can help, but since we are started I would rather get you in on this sooner rather than later . So, give me a copy of whichever program you think is most representative of your skills and I will use that to assign your tasks off of. So really, just ignore the analog clock thing. Other than that, ashingda is totally right.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 20:33
Ashingda! I didn't think of that. Clever, and should make it run slightly (ever so) faster. I will use that.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@BN2
Since someone else is working on Tower AI, I'm taking the liberty of working on the Map Images.

These images will consist of ony landscape from the top view with NO road/route/way-point/etc, Those should be drawn on top of the Map Images by a Sub or Function() as the Way-Point WILL be customizable/altered/randomize I'm guessing.

If that's the case will we have a Map/Way-Point Editor?

If you have a different view of what to do with the map images let me know soon.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
That works, good idea! I will get to work on making a map/way-point editor. Anyone else who wants to in their free time, go ahead.

@Irojo
Try this:

Each enemy has a speed.

Through each iteration of the loop, every enemy will move by their speed toward their next waypoint (which can be kept track of in their array).

To figure out how far to go, compute the angle that they have to go using arc tangent, like so:

The only thing to keep track of is if waypoint_x-enemy_x is negative, you have to add 180 to the angle that it returns. The else case is to prevent a divide by 0 error.

Then what you do is move them in the x and y planes using these values:

x_move=enemy_speed*cos(angle)
y_move=enemy_speed*sin(angle)

Don't forget to check to see if these values are bigger than the difference between the enemy location and the waypoint. If they are, move the difference, then increase the waypoint it is going to.

Make sense?

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 22:52 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 00:08
Quote: "Make sense?"

No.

I think it will help if I understand what the purpose of these calculations are for, and what the result is.

[EDIT]
Hurrah!
I have completed the first enemy control system.
What it does:

Moves the enemies from target location to target location.

Next I will put in a destination array, so multiple locations can be set.

I have the speed set to 10, so you can see the movement.
I plan on making it run smoother, for example, at the moment, the jump behind eachother. I plan on making it into a fluid movement that, while the opponents have a set spacing in between. But anyways:

I download memory.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 01:13 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 01:51
It is vector math (or trig, whichever you prefer). So, here goes:

Here is a triangle:

This represents a line at 30 degrees going 10 units. The red is the Y axis difference between the starting and the ending points (the rise) and the blue is the x axis difference (the run).

Since we know (or don't know, if you don't, its true, trust me) that:

Sin=Opposite/hypotenuse

Cos=Adjacent/Hypotenuse

Tan=Opposite/Adjacent

Here Opposite is the length of the side of the triangle opposite from the angle, adjacent is the length of the side next to the angle (but not the hypotenuse) and the hypotenuse is the longest side of the triangle.

ArcSin,ArcCos,and ArcTan (the commands are asin,acos, and atan in DBC) are ways to say Angle whose _____ is ______. So if I say arctan of the triangle above, it would be: The angle whose tangent is red/blue (since red is opposite and blue is adjacent). That is how you would find the angle between the waypoint and the enemy.

Now, to explain speed*sin and speed*cos. When moving, we will say that the angle has been computed using arctan and we found it to be 30 degrees and, say 30 units away. If we can go 10 units in a step, that will take 3 steps to get there (30/10=3). That part is simple, but when you need to find the coordinates, you have to use trig.

The speed is your hypotenuse, and is 10 in this case (since the hypotenuse on the triangle is 10).

We are trying to find the length of blue and red. Since sin30=Red/speed and cos30=blue/speed. It can be found that multiplying by the speed you get these two formulas:

speed*sin(30)=red
speed*cos(30)=blue

If you haven't been exposed to trig yet, don't worry, you will be sooner or later. If you have any questions, I have been able to get a decent handle on it, so just ask.

Hope this cleared it up for you!

[EDIT]
@Irojo:
Not too bad (I am at it again )

My suggestion: Instead of having two sub sections in the array for destination x and destination y, use 1, and have that be for the waypoint number.

Then you can create a waypoint array, with a total number of waypoints for the first division, and then 2 for the coordinates so:

DIM WayPoints(totalwaypoints,2)

That way editing it is easy and you only have to alter one section of the code, rather than find where it resets the destination.

Also, clean your code a bit. It looks like you got the commenting down, but a simple blank line here and there would do wonders for you code. Observe:

And this (same code, just spaced out a little more)

Also, I indented your subroutine to make it more obvious where it stops and starts. This isn't super important when you only have a couple subs, but it gets REALLY helpful when you have a LOT and you are looking for where a new one begins.

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 02:05 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 02:10
Hey just to let you know i will be away this week.Packed with homework and other crap. My code were just examples cause i dont have the names of stuff and i have dbpro so i asssumed globaling variables would work.

Also can anyone give a quick tutorial on sprite colision. I know how to do it but not how to put it into syntax.

Thanks in advance

:

Edit 1:Like the waypiont system. ill give one a go over chirstmas holidays if you dont mind.

I was here.
Jamesb187
Years of Service
User Offline
@ BN2 and Ashingda:

Thanks for the tips - I've posted some code on the Noobs Wanted thread along with the appropriate media. Please let me know what I can do to help!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Good job Irojo.

Hey why don't you draw a simple line that connects all the way-points, that way we'll know where the creep would be going to next.

That line could later be used to draw the road on top of the Map Images.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
If anyone is feeling particularly bored, you could write a function that makes a fatter line, rather than just a single pixel line, that way we could have it draw an entire path. If not I will work on it.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 06:24 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 07:11
I already made a function like that while we where first discusing about tower defense. I'll post the code up again.

[edit]

Ok here it is. While I was digging it up I updated it and wrote a more detailed descriptions on the Function() and it's usage.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 15:29 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 17:16
[My bad for double posting]

I'm digging up codes that obese wrote and experimenting with it. This is part of the Tower AI tho it's not an entry just simply a test.

I though that finding the correct distance and degree to shoot the arrow might be hard and if we dont mannage to figure it out in time then a simple homing arrow might be usefull.

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 16:54 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 16:57
What would work better then a homing arrow? The enemies constantly move. I think it's brilliant. I vote it's a keeper.

But the challenge/question is:

Can someone work out the complicated coding, to work in Latch's rotate image command, so that an arrow image can be used, and worked into the code, so the image rotates toward it's destination. Complicated, however possible. Otherwise, We can stick with the line command.

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 17:09 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 17:18
If we put a metalic colored dot in front of the line and some fether colored dots on the back , that'd make an arrow out of the line

[edit]

These are the current map images or rather background images.
These are scaled down for display.

The zip below contains all 3 in original size.

Attachments

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 17:33
Quote: " that'd make an arrow out of the line "

True.

What are the right two images for?

I download memory.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 17:50 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 20:00
Those are different background images, and YES we can build roads up in the clouds and have floating towers

[edit]
@BN2
I know we haven't gotten very far but how does the main codes look like right now?

[edit]
Yo guys how bout competition for the DarkNOOB Intro? Here's mines I wrote this a while back for another project but seems we can use it here too. Looking forward to seeing others.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 22:04
quick question can dbc or dbpro have flash movies in swf format.

I was here.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
No.

@Ashingda
It isn't yet. So far I have NO code for the main code, at least nothing that has been posted and meets the requirements.

I think the homing arrow is ok, but I think it would be easier to use the distance and angle style. If you want to know how to find the angle, use

Atan((y2-y1)/(x2-x1))

For an explanation of how that works, see my post on the last page.

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 22:42

Just another update.

I'm going to set in a path next.

I download memory.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 03:44:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 03:44:46