Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Abeyance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:28 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 18:24
Hello folks, how do you all do?

The thing in the Geek Culture section called 'NaGaCreMo' has caused me to start making a game again. So I thought, 'why not dig up this old game design plan?' - a little big for NaGaCreMo, but setting up a battle mode with placeholder media? That's a bit more doable. So that's what I am working on first. Also, I am not trying any of this fancy LUA stuff for this yet.

Basically what I've got for this part of the project is:
Level Building with FPSC Free (Nice little tutorial on the Dark Game Studio section of the site to show you how to do get FPSC Levels into DBP)
DBP of course
3 character models I got from the TGC store and maybe some of psionic's
Cash's 3D viewer
MikeS's Normal Map Generator
Newton Physics DLL
Sound Matter Sound Effects
Music from wherever I find it

I will be using my own media eventually, so bear with me.

But what is Abeyance? The design is being redone, my original was produced in 2005, so it needs updating.

This a logo Animeblood/Cian Rice produced for me all that time ago, and I said I was going to use it, so I am.

It's an RPG based around Jack Keats [maybe a name change] is a factory worker in a world much like our own, but in the year 2010. For society, things have gone down the pit really - people no longer like each other, they're scared that somebody might be working for a terrorist organisation and the fear mongering of the media, government and even religion really isn't helping people. Fear brought people to do some mad things, I mean there's a saying: "what you repress always surfaces", repressing fear brought out a lot of irrational things. Instead of solving the problem at the source, the government turned to medicine and found that they could push these emotions back in with a single pill with a bonus side effect, compliance. A miracle cure for the issues the government had to deal with. Only for the aforementioned statement to remain true, Jack being one of the first to notice signs of a neurosis, much like schizophrenia causes him to change personas, to start seeing things that weren't there and he goes on battle images that aren't there. In his lucid state of mind it was like being free of the drugs, where he could see the problems in reality. Thus he tries to do something about it.

Story can always mean one thing, the other is delivering the game, but my plan for this has never really been to do anything complex, inventory, battle, talking and item using seems to be what the features demand.

So from now one, I'll shut up about the story (this isn't Game Design Theory) and get some progress onto you.

What have I done?

I have been getting my head around Newton to get physics to the game - I always hated trying to use DBP's commands to work out a decent collision system, I thought Newton would be more useful and it has. A lot of my time has been spent on getting a character moving and manipulating a character as a physics body again a level object. I can also see Newton being more useful later on.

Also, the character is able to talk to an NPC and start a battle with the NPC. And it's the battle system that I'm working on now. The battle system, so far is basic. Just 'attack' and 'escape' (you can't always escape) and an 'atb' meter. I've done battle systems before, so I'm just going to find some old code and see if I can use that to make it better. I will also be playing with some controller support.

Once that's done - I'll give the character some stock spells and items, and then get some design done for finishing up at the end of January.

Then work on the rest of the game.

Screenshots:

What I'm going to try and do is recreate some of the stuff from my Previous RPG Engine, unfortunately, all of my files are on my old computer, so I'm going to have to fire it up first and have a good look.

There, that's a highly descriptive and lengthy post of what I'm doing, so I best get on with it.

[EDIT]

Before anybody notices a big flaw, yes I realise my main character is male and the screenshots are female - once I've figured out the frame numbers and have got normal maps for any male models they will be switched.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:41
looks amazing Seppuku Arts!!! Everything is coming along nicely. Best of luck, and keep it up. I'm truly in awe!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:46
I have to admit, it looks brilliant!

How does it play? Send us a video...

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 01:53
Cheers, too early for a video, I want to get more of the battle stuff done first and make the talking a bit shinier.

FPSC Free and the TGC store I think always provide useful tools for getting place holders in. The one thing I found that slowed progression was not having enough media.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 12:34
Ooh, this looks interesting - I shall be watching closely.

Also - Jack Keats wouldn't be a reference to the well-known Romantic poet of "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" fame, would it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keats

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 13:47
Quote: "But what is Abeyance? The design is being redone, my original was produced in 2005, so it needs updating."

Especially with how it's almost 2010.

Will be exciting to see how this goes. This was actually one of the first projects I saw in the wip when I joined, back when I didn't know everyone hear wasn't a professional developer. This and Teh Coders combat RPG.

I hope to see this one finished, I'll be rooting for you from across the pond AND the internet.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 13:52 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 13:58
Yes, Keats is a reference to John, in my original plan I had thought of having the character have his visions of a better, more peaceful world - I was thinking of some of Keats' imagery and it might work better as an influence for his decision to act on some of the problems in the world (after all, visions of a nicer, more beautiful place). However, I might want to reference John Clare instead (or alongside), but I will say no more as it could end up spoiling some plot ideas.

[edit]

Quote: "Quote: "But what is Abeyance? The design is being redone, my original was produced in 2005, so it needs updating."
Especially with how it's almost 2010"

Yes, it has been a while, it has also meant that I am better at doing what I do. 2010 in another made-up world will suffice, rather than turning our world into such a place.

I was fairly new when I first tried making projects in DBP, RPGs were too big for me then - I needed practice first - hence my first project, Ronin failed. But I some day plan to revive that too. It's almost been 4 years, so I better get my butt into gear then, really.

Also, whatever happened to Teh_Coder's stuff? I had my eye on that stuff from the beginning. Out of the projects I saw then, it seems that only Gil's has survived.

Cheers.

[edit] Too many winks

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 14:31
That looks indeed wonderful seppuku. Could you give some tips for me about modelling? Ive recently researched some animating and learned to models so that they can be animated nicely. But how i could effectly build animations for game?

Use same rig for every game model? And use same animation and modify only those certain animations the model needs to be modifed?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 14:44
It's usually good to study how people move - just make sure you place bones at the joints - you can use the same skeletons for different models - as long as the mesh fits the shape - it can save a lot of time, though I've not done much animating (and those aren't my models) You can also just use the same mesh - with a bit of tweaking on the faces and texture, that would save a lot of time in modelling there.

It's also good to keep an eye on your keyframe number - I might move an arm and leg forward, and the other back on keyframe 20 and then move them to the other side at keyframe 60. Just make sure all of your bones are doing something - your shoulder for instance may move, and the same for your hips, if they don't move, it can look rather stiff. It's always good to look at a person and think of them as an animated rig and look at how you might move your bones like theirs.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 15:48
Yeah i was thinking capturing the motions with two cameras, Front & Side and then animating frame by frame. And optimize at the end =)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 16:23
I personally tend to only set keyframes at certain points, most programs will calculate the positions for each frame between the keyframes - I think that way it can work smoother. Only position the model at key poses or bits that don't look right on the calculations.

Anyway, just to talk about the battle engine and the way it works/will work.

Typical for a turn-based RPG is that you have magic, potions, magic potions etc, mine will be the same in those respects, except they go by different names.

You have two sets of abilities: Psycho and Neuro.

Psycho is akin to 'physical attacks', except they're more powerful than your 'attack' command and will take some energy out of you.
Neuro is akin to magic - after all the character is delusional, he can bend his own reality the way he wants to.

Neuro and Psycho use the same energy, called Neuro-Psycho Points (wouldn't have taken much to guess. )

The items you get at the moment are preset (so when you get '0' pipe bombs, the pipe bomb item will stay they, just with a '0' value) - you have 'Medical Pill', they heal you, 'Neuro-psycho pill', they restore your energy, 'pipe bomb', explosive attack, 'steroid', it'll increase your attack, but decrease your health. And your last item is the 'super pill', heals both health and energy.

Oh and with this babbling, I'll just put another screeny in.

I'm going to have to leave more to Friday and the weekend - I've got relative coming round tomorrow and I'm not going to spend too much time on this each day (small bits at a time as I have Uni work to do)

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 16:41
I have some idea how to add some action on turn based action. Ever consider some kind of reaction buttons? In example enemy attacks, you press button right time and you avoid the attack or block and counter. Some ideas

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 16:54
Possible, maybe in the future.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 01:06
Love the dynamic shadows, are they soft?
Love everything, its awesome.
Good job.

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 02:08
Thanks - the dynamic shadows, they're not soft, no, they're actually DBP's built in shadow shader. Though normally you'd get quite a poor performance. But in one of the updates the 'set shadow shading on' command got a few extra parameters that drastically improves the performance.

just try this for you shadows:
set shadow shading on OBJ#,0,500,1

If you want to move the shadow light, then move the light numbered '0' - the same light will also effect anything that's bump mapped using the internal bump map command.

so with the shadow command, try:

position light 0, 100,100,100

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 02:15
Oh yes I see. Good work. Looks extremely good.

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 14:25
@ Seppuku Arts
I'm gona remember that next time I try and use shadow shading:
set shadow shading on OBJ#,0,500,1
position light 0, 100,100,100

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. I thought you had forgotten about this game! Glad to see it's back up again. Hell I remember how you were originally call it The Downward Spiral based upon the NIN album.

Looks good so far.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 18:48
Nah, I've not forgotten, I've not forgotten about any of my projects. It's just doing them is always the problem.

And yes, the original name, I was too much into that album at the time.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 16:36 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 16:40
Update:

Battle Animations
Per Pixel Lighting Shader
Modelled a level mesh (will contain more objects, it's just the basic mesh and texture)

To do:
Re-tweak camera setup (seems my camera doesn't like small spaces)
Fix animation timing (at the moment, hit points are taken away when the animation starts...also meaning death animation starts before the enemy has even hit you)
Add Psycho battle commands
Add Neuro battle commands
Set up Particles for Neuro
Make the UI set up prettier
Sound Effects
Tidy up code (again)

Screenshots:

As you can see the enemy is attacking, though the character is dead. I need to fix that - there's also a 'game over' scenario, which will let you restart the game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 17:42
It looks like you've got the basics down and it's more a case of extending what you already have than figuring out new stuff.

Good job!

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 18:59
That's one shiny boob up there on the first screen.

Looks tasty anyway good luck
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 21:12
Ah pervert...saying that in the last screen it looks like she's looking at...

Well cheers for the comments.

Quote: "It looks like you've got the basics down and it's more a case of extending what you already have than figuring out new stuff."

Pretty much, yes, for this demo it won't take much more work. After this demo I might try some stuff like AI path-finding and making the battle system more advanced. Maybe eventually set-up a levelling system if I get around to it. An ideal plan would be to convert everything so that it can be LUA scripted, but I'll get everything I want done first.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 21:58
Quote: "saying that in the last screen it looks like she's looking at..."

Yeah, thats certainly intresting detail there.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 14:18
It may not sound like a big update, but I've been working through the control commands, reorganising them and any associated variables so that I could add controller support.

The controls will be for:

Keyboard
XBox 360 Controller (and any other controller, but I've mapped the controls to the layout of the XBox 360 controller)

I removed the mouse, I didn't think it'd fit perfectly.

So what the controls are...

Keyboard:
WASD = Move
Enter/Return = Action
Space = Cancel
'E' = talk/interact
Shift = Start [no feature for it yet]
Control = Select [no feature for it yet]

XBox 360 controller:
Left joystick = move
A = Action
B = Cancel
X = talk/interact
Start = start
Select = select

So I'm nearly there on my 'checklist' to the demo...well half way.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 23:56
Check out somewhere in my threads, I mapped out an easy interface for using an Xbox 360 controller. Good luck

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 00:18
Still looking sexy.
Although...you should replace the prints with sprite huds
No doubt you where probably going to do this but...it would look cool. Really cool, good luck

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
So... how's the project going?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 20:21
Quote: "So... how's the project going?"

I'm working on Game Design Plan whilst my Laptop is sitting in one of Acer's repair centres under warrantee (faulty keyboard, headphone socket, sub-woofer and speakers)...don't worry, all my project files are backed-up. Essentially I'll get it back when my parents visit me because The estimated day it'll be ready is 2nd February and I go back to my student house this weekend, so I have to wait longer than I should.

The NaNoCreMo stuff I've dropped out of, given it's for the month of January. But my first demo will be the opening part, which you'll see in my thread over in GDT:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143688&b=19

For the stuff I need to do that, I am not that far off - I need to fix the animations, do a particle system for the neuro attacks, have a basic cutscene situation and model the level...or at least the base for it.

Quadrazar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 20:39
Hi. been watching this for a wile and I had to place a post. The tread in gamedesign and theory catched my attention. Your've got some good work going on. I like the setting, the foreign laguage part is a bit confusing, but I tink it will put some extra tention (or suspence) into the game. The first render is a realy nice dark one, makes it spooky and creapy. Liked the map in GDT, good planning.
Good luck with those paricles, looking foreward to see them in action.

Amiga 500 - 68000 processor / 7 Mhz, 512 Kb RAM, 4-channel PCM synthesizer (stereo)
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:27
Looking really good, you've come a long way since last we spoke
Can't wait for a demo of your first area, looks intriguing, especially the design.

good luck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:34:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:34:52