Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo] Escape

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 08:54 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2009 08:57
Escape is a first person shooter for NaGaCreMo. You're trapped in a facility guarded by robots, and your goal is to get out alive.

Here's the first enemy, a small robot covered with small spikes. I haven't added AI yet, so it doesn't do anything yet.

This laser is the only weapon you'll get in the game, but you can add attachments to it. Here the laser only has its default recharging power supply.

Heatsinks and cooling fans can keep the laser cool so it can shoot faster, but it's less accurate at higher speeds.

Capacitors store up a stronger charge so you can fire a stronger beam, but it's slower and uses more ammo.

Splitters fire multiple lasers. They're also slower and use more ammo.

You can combine attachments. You can add one attachment from each category. The laser can get hot using stronger attachments.

Still too hot.

Lasers light up the room.

You also have a flashlight. The flashlight doesn't use a shader.

And a couple of videos:
Flashlight and Lighting video.
Weapon Attachments video.

Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 13:53
This looks cool. I like the idea of having only one weapon that you upgrade and change to suit your needs. It's also cool to see that you've added a cool down time for the laser gun. It makes things a bit more balanced and interesting.

I also like the design of that little robot enemy thing. I figure, perhaps it could have at least one set of joints on it's legs, or perhaps wheels beneath them, to get around. But in any case, it'll be nice to see it moving about. Also, how about adding innocent and childish voices to it, kind of like the turrets in Portal? I think it would suit it.

Keep up the good work!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 14:22
@ Randomness 128
This looks pretty good and a somewhat unique idea, keep it up.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Enemy video. These enemies run toward you, and will jump over obstacles that are in the way. They can also jump on each other to get over higher things. They're all positioned randomly when the game starts.

@ Guyra
Thanks, and I like that idea for the voices. These robots have joints in their legs, but I'm planning on adding quite a few different robot types, and I'm sure some could use wheels.

@ C0wbox
Thanks.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 23:10
Looks good. Lightmapped level looks cool, and also how your gun lights up the room. How did you do the torch?

It seems like your lighting model doesn't affect the enemy things. I know it's a tough job, but it'd be nice if it did. It's pretty awesome how they can use eachother to jump over things. Is this programmed, or just emergent behaviour resulting on how they're attracted towards the player?

Anyway looks like fun.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 21:30
I, flashing snall, can not wait to play this game.
Randomness128, I will never forget how much fun I had playing your Influx weapons demo. If that was just a demo, then I trust that a full game will be amazing.

I like your lighting, Im trying to figure that stuff out right now, actually

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:11:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:11:19