Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Lonely is a Robot

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 03:21 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 15:50
Overview

'Lonely is a Robot' (working title, might stay, might not) is an adventure-platformer about a sad robot and his travels through an unknown dimension.

Story

Lonely is a depressed, misunderstood robot that was abandoned at birth after being deemed inadequate to fulfill the duties of a robot. He was born out of shape both mentally and physically and became victim of an annual ceremony--the 'Celebration of the Misfits'. At this event any robots that have been abandoned at birth in the last year are retrieved and launched out into space in small capsules. These capsules are thick, multi-colored orbs made of a hard plastic substance. The capsule is believed to prevent its contents from inter-dimensional travel once they leave the atmosphere of their home planet, [unnamed]. However, Lonely, being the lonesome and often ignored robot he is, failed to be put in this orb and was launched into space unprotected. Shortly after entering space Lonely is caught in an interdimensional doorway of sorts and ends up confused in a surreal, fantastic environment. His first impression of the place is that it's a very peaceful world with no inhabitants, and he decides to stay. Upon further investigation he finds that the world was once inhabited by a race of small animals called the [unnamed], until a robot similar to lonely ended up there and decided to take out his anger on these cute little animals by becoming the all-powerful ruler. Now Lonely must make his way through this dimension to the fortress of [unnamed] and save the [unnamed]!

Environment
The environment of LIAR is very simple and cartoony, similar to the old Banjo Kazooie games but with (hopefully ) improved graphics.

Here's a simple scene made I made to demonstrate what I plan on the graphics looking like:

Ya, I know not very impressive but I want them to be very simple and colorful.

Game Mechanics

Objective:
The game consists of several levels and your objective is to simply beat each level. Beating a level involves completing a certain number of missions within that level.

Player:
-Lonely can move forward, backward, and can strafe to the left and right.
-He can also jump and under some circumstances fly.
-He has three skills/attributes which affect his behavior, all of which can be improved through missions and items: Movement, Jumping, and Flying. Movement affects his move speed, Jumping affects his jump height, and Flying affects whether or not he can fly, and if so, how long he can fly, how high he can fly, and how fast he can move while flying.
-Lonely also has certain moves he can use in combat. He starts out with no real combat moves and must jump on enemies to kill them, though throughout the game he can buy new moves at shops and earn them.

Levels:
-Levels consist of:
-The level file.
-The map.
-Anywhere from 5 to 10 missions.
-Several items which can be collected and earned.
-Several tokens which give you money.
-Sometimes a shop at which you can spend money you've earned on stat points, new moves, and items.

Level Files:
Level files are text files containing the filenames of the objects within the map and entity data, such as spawnpoints and items.

Missions:
-Missions are stored in text files containing the type of missions, any constraints, and the reward.
-Missions can be one of a few types:
a) They can require that you collect a certain number of items or certain specific items.
b) They can require that you reach a certain area of the level.
c) They can require you to defeat a certain number of enemies or one specific enemy, such as a boss.
-Missions can have constraints, such as time limits and requirements that you don't lose any health.
-Missions reward you with money, stat points, or items, but NOT combat moves; these must be purchased.

Items:
-Items are added to your inventory when received.
-They typically do one of two things:
a) They can fill your health partially or fully.
b) They can temporarily or permanently increase a stat.
-Items can be earned through missions, they can be found in levels, and they can be bought at shops.

Tokens:
-Tokens can ONLY be found in levels, they can't be earned or bought.
-They are typically very well-hidden and are very hard to find.
-They give you very large amounts of money when found, and are useful if you're trying to get money for a certain move.

Money:
-Money can be earned through missions or collected through tokens.
-Money is spent on items, new moves, and stat points at shops.

Combat Moves:
-Combat Moves can be bought at shops and earned, though not through missions. Rather when you reach certain points in the game you'll automatically be given certain moves.
-They are used when fighting and are much more powerful than Lonely's standard 'Jump' move.

Development

I'm planning on LIAR being developed in DBP. If you think you can help with the dev of LIAR post here and tell me what you would like to work on out of the following main components:

-Player Movement/Jumping and Collision
-Level Loading
-Combat System
-Mission System
-Shop/Market System

--------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that about covers the game. I can't gaurantee that all of these features will make it into the final product, in fact I have no idea if even half of them will. However I thought that I might as well plan out everything I could possibly want in the game beforehand, that way I don't have to spend any time thinking of ideas during dev.

Any C&C on the story or mechanics is welcome, and I'll update this thread with new ideas as I come up with them.

Here's a render of the untextured Lonely:

And here's the game model:

I know texture quality isn't great, I don't know what I was thinking when I made it 512x512.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 03:52
haha, thats pretty cool.
It reminds me a bit of Wall.E

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 03:55
Quote: "It reminds me a bit of Wall.E"

Ya, I got a bit of inspiration from Wall.E and actually Spongebob as well for the design of Lonely.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 08:31
That is one pittiful looking bot. Thoses eyes truly convey the feeling of loneliness and despair. Good Job!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 14:24
Thanks.

Jetherit
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, I'm going to have to say that the bloodshot eyes are a little too much. It looks more like a pothead than a sad robot. Those droopy eyes should do the trick without any veins. Otherwise it looks like a good ol' leveler game, and I will certainly play it if you ever come out with a demo. Good luck!

From JASS to Q-BASIC to Java to C++
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 02:38
Hmm, I'm going to have to say that the bloodshot eyes are a little too much. It looks more like a pothead than a sad robot. Those droopy eyes should do the trick without any veins.

I'll try removing the veins and check out how it looks.

Quote: "Otherwise it looks like a good ol' leveler game, and I will certainly play it if you ever come out with a demo. Good luck!"

Thanks! I'm gonna need it.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 18:22
If this ends up anything like Banjo and Kazooie for the N64...I will hug you...lol...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Would definately play...

If you need any help with 3D, add me to your messanger.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 15:27 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 15:41
Quote: "If this ends up anything like Banjo and Kazooie for the N64...I will hug you...lol... "

That's the goal! But I don't need the hug.

Quote: "Would definately play...

If you need any help with 3D, add me to your messanger."

Thanks for the offer! I'm not in need right now--I'm still developing the platformer engine--but I definitely will be later!

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 16:23
Quote: "Hmm, I'm going to have to say that the bloodshot eyes are a little too much. It looks more like a pothead than a sad robot. Those droopy eyes should do the trick without any veins."

My thoughts exactly. Also, you should add more colour, because those greys will stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe mess around with the primaries.

Love the story!

"I will personally give aides to all the underprivalaged children of the world."

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 20:26
Quote: "Also, you should add more colour, because those greys will stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe mess around with the primaries."

Ya, I've made an update to the texture but I'm in a hurry right now so I can't post it yet, I probably will tonight.

Quote: "Love the story!"

Thanks!

Jantaro
Years of Service
User Offline
I definitely like the storyline, but I think that the model for Lonely is a little much. I think were he to look more gritty and realistic it would provide a nice contrast between his world and the one he has been flung into.

What I mean is, you could make his flaws less like a hunchback and more like a normal-looking robot that is completely glitched, maybe add some sparking or exposed wires.

This will prompt humor, as a robot used to an industrial setting is put in a fantasy land is sure to make a few delightful comments!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 00:27
Hey AndrewT, are you still working on this?

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 04:35
Jantaro:

Thanks for the suggestions! This project is kind of on-hold right now, but I will definitely get back into it in the future and I'll consider your ideas.

Yodaman:

Not at the moment, I'm currently busy with other projects and this project is a little ambitious for me to attempt alone right now, however I and and will continue to work on the design of this game for the next several months until I can find some time to actually get to work on it.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 07:13 Edited at: 13th Feb 2009 07:16
Hey Andrew man i love the story and the feel of the game it really reminds me of the good ol' N64 days. It really reminds me of Rocket: Robot on Wheels

http://ign64.ign.com/objects/011/011736.html

Anyways. I have my really big project and main focus "Xtinction" along with two other companies being developed in LW. But that is a very violent and gory intense game. With nex gen graphics and physics i kind of want to do something on the side. Something alot less complicated and something more kid friendly. And lol i fell in love with this. Anyways i was wondering if you needed a partner or someone to help you move the project along the way. I can offer you My small company's talents
my company is
EpikLand

http://epikland.webs.com
(temporary website)

Anyways i can't code to save my life but. Am going to be buying DarkGame studio in a few weeks to start. But what i can do is this....Graphic design. For this game dude i can do from logos, to textures,Gui,uv mapping, and so on. And i especially love level design if you would need any help with that. Plus my main musician could probably get you a whole sound track for the game. And if you where thinking of getting it published i could help with that too. I don't want to charge for any of this but maybe be a part of it if you are still looking for people. So if you would like to drop me an email at
punk13@inbox.com i'd be glad to talk about it.

I hope your interested.

-Jake Aka : Punk13

PUNK IS BACK!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 13:40
Punk13:

Once the actual development starts I'll probably take most offers from artists and coders, however right now I'm not too focused on this project. I'll keep your offer in mind for later.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 20:45
Cool thanks man

PUNK IS BACK!
z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 03:31
Has anymore progress been made on this game i really like its concept.

life is short but so am i
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 04:07
Yes, but I'm focusing on improving my skills with C++ and DirectX for the time being, in fact I may even make a simple 2D version first, just to make sure I have the concept down solid before I really begin actual development.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 07:16
Remember if you need any help

PUNK IS BACK!
z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 00:52
Same as punk if you need any-help i have good art, 3d modeling and 2d animation skills. I love how the graphics remind you of banjo kazooie love that game.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 02:41
Glad to see that I have some support. I'm thinking that I might come back to this when I'm done with my current project--a tower defense clone--and I'll be sure to post any updates here.

z i l c h vortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 02:11
Ok, Hope you come back.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 04:20
Sweet man very sweet.

PUNK IS BACK!