Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / John McClayman`s Planet Defence

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 11:04
Hello everyone!

I coded this short game on the weekend, and I have now completed it.

John McClayman has to defend the earth, because it is being attacked by spaghetti aliens!!!

The instructions are in the game, and I am not telling what the "moon bar" is for... But whoever can get it full, is really good at this game...

Screenshots:

The download is attached. Please comment!

TheComet

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 12:50 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 12:51
Got an Error at the 3rd Moontime after a real Multi/-Monsterkill.
GAME ERROR: ERROR 30

But funny Game

And the Screenresolution is bugged at 1280x1024
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 12:55 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 12:58
Quote: "Got an Error at the 3rd Moontime after a real Multi/-Monsterkill.
GAME ERROR: ERROR 30 "

3 moons!! Wow, the program must have not liked your major killing spree!

I`ll check it out...

Quote: "But funny Game "

Thanks!

Quote: "And the Screenresolution is bugged at 1280x1024 "

The resolution is set to 640*480*16, and I can understand why that is all bugged at that resolution... I will add a resolution setting that you can set at the start.

What fps rate do you get?

TheComet

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 13:05 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 13:11
I don't know the FPS, because i didn't see it. (Look at the screenshot, it's like that).
But it was good, until the last moontime, there were so much enemys
Maybe you could add more weapons, upgrades, Enemys, that would be cool.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 16:57 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 17:03
Quote: "I don't know the FPS, because i didn't see it. (Look at the screenshot, it's like that)."

Hmm, it is pretty screwed up... The next update will have 2 new enemies and maybe 2 new weapons, a screen resolution setting , and an fps regulator.

Quote: "But it was good, until the last moontime, there were so much enemys "

Yeah, I know.

What`s your high score? I got 17130.

TheComet

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 21:25
I got error 30 as well. After the 3rd moon or so. Shame because i was having fun. Got pretty hectic towards the end. Had to start chucking out missiles and things were getting kind of tactical. Hopefully you can fix the problem.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 22:22
got the error after 2nd moon time (almost happy it happened since my forearm was cramped... knew i shoulda warmed up first ). otherwise, lotta fun and no other issues. 59-60 fps (didn't really look at fps, tho, when getting swarmed... didn't blink either...).

quick question on the missile functionality as i found them to be a little inconsistent. sometimes (with lotsa aliens in play) they seem to start a chain reaction, causing all close-by aliens to explode, then their neighbors, too. other times, (when aliens are sparse), it'll blow a couple neighboring aliens up, then (invisibly) continue on and take out another small cluster some distance away. maybe it looks to destroy a minimum number of aliens? anyway, i couldn't decide.

i really appreciate the aim+move controls being combined. not something you see a lot of = clever. and, the instruction sequence was very helpful (and humorous). i was ready to save the world in a matter of moments.

overall, nice game. especially for a weekend product.

by the way: once the error is fixed, i'd sure like a pause feature (or "constant fire" mode) to relieve my trigger-arm.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
ya a constant fire weapon would be cool.
Don't know my highscore, didn't saw it.

Maybe a Highscore list would be cool too.

And more missiles / ammo for other weapons
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2009 16:40 Edited at: 12th Jan 2009 16:42
Quote: "I got error 30 as well. After the 3rd moon or so. Shame because i was having fun. Got pretty hectic towards the end. Had to start chucking out missiles and things were getting kind of tactical. Hopefully you can fix the problem."

Quote: "got the error after 2nd moon time (almost happy it happened since my forearm was cramped... knew i shoulda warmed up first ). otherwise, lotta fun and no other issues. 59-60 fps (didn't really look at fps, tho, when getting swarmed... didn't blink either...)."

Thanks!

I found what the error is in DBC, it seems that the image for something jumps to 0 or goes way out of bounds. (I use plain objects, sprites are soo slow...). Which image or object... I don`t know...

Quote: "quick question on the missile functionality as i found them to be a little inconsistent. sometimes (with lotsa aliens in play) they seem to start a chain reaction, causing all close-by aliens to explode, then their neighbors, too. other times, (when aliens are sparse), it'll blow a couple neighboring aliens up, then (invisibly) continue on and take out another small cluster some distance away. maybe it looks to destroy a minimum number of aliens? anyway, i couldn't decide."

The missile will look for aliens near where it exploded, and then blow up a random amount of those aliens. The explosions are the center of the next search of aliens, so the explosion will search for more aliens near it, and then blow up another random amount etc. So if you have a 100 aliens, it is likely that the chain reaction will lead off the screen, because the aliens are "born" there.

Quote: "i really appreciate the aim+move controls being combined. not something you see a lot of = clever. and, the instruction sequence was very helpful (and humorous). i was ready to save the world in a matter of moments.

overall, nice game. especially for a weekend product. "

Thank you!

Quote: "by the way: once the error is fixed, i'd sure like a pause feature (or "constant fire" mode) to relieve my trigger-arm. "

The pause feature is already in... You can press escape, and that will pause the game. Then press escape to exit or enter to continue. I think I will add a constant fire function, but you have to earn it.

Quote: "Maybe a Highscore list would be cool too.

And more missiles / ammo for other weapons "

On the way right now! Thanks for everyone`s input and feedback!

TheComet

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2009 23:59 Edited at: 13th Jan 2009 15:14
Sounds and looks interesting (I know, this statement is absolutely constructive right? ). I'm really looking forward to testing it, but it's quite late now, so I'll hopefully have a look tomorrow.

Edit: Got ~21000 points.. the game got a bit (vell, not just a bit) chaotic in the end, so some sort of "superweapon" or bullettime etc. might be a good idea to give the player a chance of getting rid of all enemies in a short time (shooting a bunch of rockets in random directions didn't really help here ). All in all very fun, and well presented. As mentioned above, the intro is cool. Well done.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 00:16
I got the same error at the 5th moon time. I had 71000 and no planet damage

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 11:26
Quote: "I got the same error at the 5th moon time. I had 71000 and no planet damage "

Are you sure your alcohol level was OK? That is an unbelievable score! And 5 Moons!!!! Incredible!

Progress so far: I have added an atomic bomb weapon, some water drop enemies and I am thinking of adding a black hole to suck up those enemies. The automatic fire function sets in after the 2nd moon time, so you have to earn it!

I think I will add some huge ships that take 15 shots to kill...

TheComet

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 17:33 Edited at: 16th Jan 2009 17:35
Quote: "I think I will add some huge ships that take 15 shots to kill... "

Awesome game. My arm hurts and I didn't even get to 2nd Moon Time (LOL). Anyway fun game I didn't find any bugs . During the tutorial I was getting about 39-40 fps but during the game I had 50-60 which is good. Maybe I'll try again at some point.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2009 22:40
Quote: "Awesome game."

Thanks!

Quote: "During the tutorial I was getting about 39-40 fps"

An excellent piece of information to prove that "SPRITES ARE SLOW!". The text printed are sprites. Once the game starts, there are NO SPRITES AT ALL, so your fps will rise.

Is there a reason for the slow sprites? I mean, all it is is an image stored in ram, it shouldn't take up that much fps, should it?

Quote: "Maybe I'll try again at some point."

I'll let you out on a secret. But don't tell anyone... It's a secret!

Anyways, looking forward to more feedback!

TheComet

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
When are you finished with a new version?
Did you fix the Error 30?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 16:04
Quote: "When are you finished with a new version?
Did you fix the Error 30?"

I am still looking for error 30, as I keep getting it when I think I fixed it...

It may even add some more time on top, because I am going through some difficult times right now and will not be on the computer for a few weeks.

But the update will be posted here within the next 2 months... (Yeah, a bit long, but life is more important than games, right? )

TheComet

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 17:18 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 17:20
something like an illegal image number should be easy enough to track down if you add something(s) like...

you could go further and add/update variables throughout potential error-causing sections of your code to include in the Error Report...

ie, LastSuccessfulImage(s), CurrentLevel, LastEnemySpawned, etc.

re:
Quote: "
I am going through some difficult times right now.
life is more important than games, right?"

absolutely, and good luck! we'll be here when you get back

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice game was pretty fun. The sprite command runs through alot of other checks making it slow, if you use paste image for your font it should speed it up.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 18:44 Edited at: 4th Feb 2009 18:46
Quote: "absolutely, and good luck! we'll be here when you get back "

Thanks!

I think it is going to take a bit longer than I estimated, I can not fix a date...

Quote: "Nice game was pretty fun. The sprite command runs through alot of other checks making it slow, if you use paste image for your font it should speed it up."

Thank you too!

I'm not using sprites (They are all plain objects), but good tip anyway for later projects!

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:25
Quote: "I'm not using sprites (They are all plain objects), but good tip anyway for later projects! "

Quote: "An excellent piece of information to prove that "SPRITES ARE SLOW!". The text printed are sprites. Once the game starts, there are NO SPRITES AT ALL, so your fps will rise."

So what? However, pasting many small sprites takes more time than pasting less big sprites.. thus pastingg text by using sprites isn't the best idea (Correct me if I'm wrong ). Maybe you might use Cloggys dll for drawing the text?

And good luck with whatever you are going to deal with within the next weeks of forum-inactivity.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 01:32
After like version 6(not sure which version) or so of directx, they got rid of true sprite support. From what I gather, DBP uses plain objects for sprites.

I used plain objects for my 2d game as well. It's easier to use, especially with the 3d command sets, and you can also create depth using the Yaxis, if your looking down on the objects.

Game looks fun downloading now.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 14:50
Quote: "So what? "

The introduction has sprites, the main game where you aim and shoot doesn't. That's what I meant

Quote: "However, pasting many small sprites takes more time than pasting less big sprites.. thus pastingg text by using sprites isn't the best idea (Correct me if I'm wrong )"

True, but if you want a nice shiny font for the score, you have to use sprites or plain objects.

Quote: "And good luck with whatever you are going to deal with within the next weeks of forum-inactivity. "

Thanks!

Although I will be posting a few posts, I just can't get to programming.

Quote: "After like version 6(not sure which version) or so of directx, they got rid of true sprite support. From what I gather, DBP uses plain objects for sprites. "

Damn Microsoft! I'm not sure about the sprites in DBP. They do say in the description that they are sprites, don't they?

Quote: "I used plain objects for my 2d game as well. It's easier to use, especially with the 3d command sets, and you can also create depth using the Yaxis, if your looking down on the objects."

For those that don't quite know how to make plain objects the right size and right position away from the camera, I will give a tip:

X size : image width/2 (if it is 17, the X size is 8.5)
Y size . image height/2 (same as above)

And you can then position that object 200 units away from the camera, best you lock them to the screen.

If you don't want to divide the size, you can make it exactly the size of the image, but position it at 400 units away from the camera.

And if you make it double the size if the image, position it 800 units away from the camera etc.

Quote: "Game looks fun downloading now."

Enjoy!

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:08:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:08:26