Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Dungeon Maze

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 19:04 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 19:21
I've been out of the game development scene for a long time now, not that I did much before. A lot of ambition and fantastical ideas filled my head with the hope of completing an epic masterpiece.

...not anymore.

After certain events and revelations, I've started on a project I hope to finish within the next month or two.

Meet Dungeon Maze (name to be re-considered)

An adventure game geared towards a younger gaming audience (ages 3-5). In DM,you control a character collection treasures, battling monsters and ultimately getting to the exit of the maze. I'm shooting for 15-20 levels, very simplistic game play, and an editor to go with the game for players to create their own mazes.

I feel in order to keep the drive to create I need to keep a log of my production, updating on a daily basis. The game is being developed in Darkbasic, but it's not yes ready for a WIP post. So, until I deem it worthy, I'll keep an updated log on these forums along with a blog and youtube video archive.

Someone once told me that I was probably the worst users on these forums for the simple fact of my ability to grow bored or uninterested in a project or media product, and then scrapping it for a new idea. I've made as many friends as enemies, something I don't want to continue.

A clean slate, and new start and outlook on life. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

DM Editor:

Dm Editor in Action:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/moDrZdsgHYs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/moDrZdsgHYs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Main Character Reference:

Main Character Accessories:

Random Sketches:

Josh Mooney
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 14:36 Edited at: 19th Jan 2009 14:37
Sweet pictures

Nice idea but I think 3-5 is a bit young?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 16:02
My 5 year old started playing games at 3. Ever been to NickJr.com? Most of the games on their are geared towards that age group. My daughter will be the lead game tester for this

Anyway, my goal is to make the game simple, but challenging enough for a young person. The game is basically a preschool maze with some distractions. So this is really a educational game, hidden behind treasure and monsters.

I'm hoping that if this is successful enough, I can make a whole line of educational games to help prepare young kids through subjects like math, reading, science, social studies, and of course problem solving.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with fuzz, Josh Mooney. While 3-5 is an...interesting age range to be shooting for, you may wish to revise this. After reading through your concept and glancing at your sketches, my suggestion would be simply 3+. After all, it sounds like a game I'd play, and I'm 17. Is that a bad thing? >_>

I was using the Anti-Noob banner and it was deleted by a mod.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 22:26
Well, I'm just saying my 5 year old and 3 year old already duke it out on DBZ Boudoki, and they're pretty good!

The game is geared towards that range because of it's simplicity. You basically traverse your way through a maze. Simple.

So update: I've been revising the code and testing and have come to a conclusion, the editor is too complicated. So I'm rethinking the design and how it works, and I think I've come up with a new concept that will work.

Here's the old code for anyone interested in how it worked:

I've started on the new editor and am aiming to complete it by Friday...if all goes well.

Here's some basic concepts of the editor to show how it's going to be different:

I've also started to redesign the main characters to show them a bit younger. Right now he looks roughly 11-13. There is a female character as well, she is a sorta mage character.

I've also came up with a final name: Maze Keeper.

Anyway, back to coding. Later.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 02:54
Ok, small update. I've started working on the new editor, and I have a good amount programed. I just need to clean it up a bit.

Not much to look at, but it's functional. New camera and cursor control, Object selection,which is now visual at the bottom, and soon I'll have object type selection.

Back to coding.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 03:34
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 18:05
Hugo update! I've nearly completed the wall placement code with saved array. Only thing left to do is the rotation...and proper wall models with textures.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 01:46
Update:
Added rotation, deleting, and pretty much cleaned the code up and added remarks so I know whats happening.

quick screen:
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 04:34
After a bit of updating I've decided to release a small compile for anyone who wants to see how it works for themselves.

It uses a gamepad controller, otherwise you can't do anything
I'll implement keyboard control later.

Also, try not to go out of bounds, or you'll get an array error, I haven't defined the cursor limits yet.

Still tons to add! Will work on this so more tomorrow.

Enjoy for now!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 20:15
Small update!

Added boundaries, increased the level array, and cleaned the code a bit..don't want any cavities.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 00:15 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 00:15
Maze Keeper Re-Designed

April 29,2009

Well I'm back to working on this project. I've redesigned most of it and will be re-programing it from scratch. Here are some design sketches, enjoy!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 06:35
As it's you, I'm very interested to see where this goes. Even being a young age group game.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 17:38
Thanks Bizar Guy. I'm still working on this. I almost have a completed engine, just need to do some polishing and I'll be posting a wip in the next couple weeks.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 22:10 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2009 22:11
So it's been nearly 10 months since I've started this project and it's been redesigned too many times. I've finally settled on every aspect of the game including storyline, game play mechanics and game features. It's been a wild ride, and I can't wait to finish it.

I started a sketch book a while back to help put down my ideas for an entire storyline code named: Suchi-Rukara. It tells the tale of a person who has no memory of his past and has incredible powers. Though, his tale actually starts before he even exists, starting with the story of Mev.

Mev is a construction type robot who's job is to move crates around work zones. There is an accident and Mev losses both his arms, therefore he's sent to be junked. Mev was not like any other robot though. The accident some how damaged his core causing him to do something that no robot has ever done...fear death.

So you take control of Mev, trying to escape the junk facility, taking on a journey that will change the course of robot history.

The game will be a simple block pushing game with a story and unique style. The story unfolds in three parts entitled; Escape, Lost and Revenge.

The game style is inspired by the Oddworld games, from the player, to the environments and enemies.

The editor is nearing completion, so I'm hoping to have a working demo up and running within the next week or so. I know I say this a lot, but I really mean it this time.

Here's some exerts of my sketch journal to give you an idea of the game:

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 19:06
Everything looks supper cool! I dig the concept art and how well it is being carried over into the actual program. Everything in the editor design looks super clean and easy to use. Cool screen captures. The text in the journal was a bit hard to understand... but with patience I was able to make sense of most of it!

Can't wait to see it all done and now I understand your sig... Great stuff!

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 03:35
Heh, it's robot 'type'. Just something I created for fun. My whole robot journal is written like that, just adds to the design I think.

Will hopefully get some decent screenshots of the game levels in progress tonight, but no promises. I'm trying to polish this nicely. Getting normals and some nice shaders working correctly.

I plan on around 20 levels altogether, and the final game will include the level editor for people to have fun with.

Short game, but I'm mainly trying to tell a story.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 23:32
I really like the look of your level editor!

This might be asking a bit much, but...I'm interested in writing my own level editor, but I have virtually no idea where to begin and can't really find any resources or tutorials. Pretty much the only thing I know I could do to start making one is work on the saving procedures, but that's it. Anything else is beyond me.

I don't suppose you could email me the source code (my email is listed in my profile) so that I can at least get an idea of how to make one? I understand if you don't want to share, it's just that I really want to make one for use with my game eventually and need a place to start.

-Yodaman Jer.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 02:09 Edited at: 29th Sep 2009 02:09
Oddly enough I already uploaded it in then wip forum.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157353&b=8

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 20:35
Alright for the last time I have redesigned the main character, Mev.

Enjoy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 01:20:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 01:20:09