Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Oriental fantasy project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 22:33 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2010 00:45
So it's my first time to create a thread inside the WIP board. I'm usually to be found in the 3d section of the TGC forum.
But I also have my own projects, on which I like to work when ever I have a little time to spare.
Today I like to show my oriental fantasy project on which I've been working on for several months.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbbSUTMTrw8
[ Music by NGXMUSICAL]

VIDEO 2 (April 09)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeVVWPefdc

VIDEO 3 (July 09)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLLAdNqb2Bc

When you see the screenshot you might think "oriental fantasy ?"...Yes, I know it looks very japanese. But since I'm not japanese myself, and I want to avoid any mistakes regarding history/tradition/culture this will simply be a fantasy setting.
What you see at the moment is nothing more than a viewer. I could say this will be a 3rd person "game" but to keep it realistic I'm saying this will turn out as some sort of 3rd person walk through. Probably you will be able to interact with the environment/npc(s)...but as said, since I'm working and most of my free time goes to 3d commissions and private life...we'll just see where it goes.
At the moment it has a distance blur, or should I say crippled DOF.
The normal map shader I'm using allows 2 textures on a secondary UV set. I'm planning to use 1 of them for rendered global illumination maps. I was hoping to implement bloom, but scrapped that idea since post effects are pretty taxing in DBPRO. The world will be separated in sections/zones, pretty much like in the old Resident Evil games.

About the scene...A lot of things are still missing, as you noticed the gates/doors etc...The scene is still very clean, I will later place
some grass billboards along the pave way edges and leaves on the ground. I'm also curious about how the rendered global illumination maps will affect the overall look of the scene.
It will later be possible to enter the castle. The red "Torii" gates will be leading to some sort of statue/shrine which is not in the scene yet. The scene will later continue to a Zen garden on the left side. Most meshes are already done, but I didn't find the time to unwrap/ texture them.
All of the models were created in 3ds Max, textures were made in Photoshop. Most sources for the textures were photos and some materials from cgtextures.com, which is an excellent source.

Some infos regarding the story behind all this...
Word is that a plague is infesting surrounding villages, turning the villagers into undead ( i know, i know...not very original).
The imperial city has been locked down and the emperor ordered his army to burn down all surrounding villages (infected or not).
You are a swordsman located in the imperial city uncertain of your families fate living in a village outside the city...

Well that's all I'm going to say about the story, today.
Enjoy the small video, I'll upload some new screens once I make some progress.

Resized Images 840x525

IMAGE4
IMAGE5
IMAGE6
IMAGE7
IMAGE8
IMAGE9

Original Size Images 1680x1050
IMAGE1
IMAGE2
IMAGE3
IMAGE4
IMAGE5
IMAGE6
IMAGE7
IMAGE8
IMAGE9

Edit

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 22:35
I really want to go to Japan - this looks absolutely amazing! Keep up the good work

Dir en grey + Slipknot = Best bands ever
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks much ! Glad you like it.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 23:34
Directly from when I saw who posted this thread I knew it was going to be great looking.
I was right.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:05
fall.off.the.chair.excellent.

It looks topnotch, pretty much AA in quality so far, even though at the moment you have relatively little in the scene. I'm not sure if the blur shader isn't a little close? Its like the camera is short sighted..
top notch work though. really stunning

I want robotic legs.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:17
Really impressive modelling and texturing, definitely! I'm looking forward to more screenshots.

My only criticism is that the depth of field blur is disturbingly close - looking at it too long makes me feel like I need glasses.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:42 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 01:46
Thanks a lot for the compliments ! You guys are right regarding the blur, but I didn't tinker much around with the values/settings yet.
I'll definitely tweak it once the scene is complete. I have some other priorities/commissions I have to finish first, but I hope I can continue working on this a little this week.
Again thanks for the kind words.

@Alucard94 - Haha ! I'm honored that you think that highly of me hehe, glad I didn't disappoint.

I hope it will turn out nice...in case I should be able to finish it

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:59
Beautiful. Excellent modelling, when I first saw it I was very surprised . I like the depth of field effect, which leads me to ask: How are you normal mapping the object as well as applying a depth of field effect to it?

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sixty Square - Thanks ! The depth of field comes from a post effect shader, so it's possible to have material shaders on level objects.
Darkshaders DOF consists of 2 shaders, the post effect DOF and the DOF material shader which passes the focus values to the post shader.
Probably that's why you are wondering how I'm using normal mapping and DOF at the same time, since it's only possible to use 1 material shader per object (unless using limb effects).
So the normal mapping shader that I'm using has a DOF part in it, practically 2 shaders combined to one.
Hope that explains it

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 03:40
Ah thanks Irradic . That's exactly what I was wondering, and you explained it well. I really need to learn HSL .

THINK
Years of Service
User Offline
WOU il looks zo buitiful,realy soms good models an textuers,whit how may people ar you working on this project? but keep op the good work
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 23:43
Very impressive quality
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work irradic...
galing mo tol! ang galing mo talaga!
hahaha..

i really liked the falling snow in the video..

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@THINK - Thanks ! I'm working alone on this project.
@Garion - Thanks a lot !
@marlou - Haha, salamat pare !

Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have the time to continue the scene. I've been busy with paid projects, including fixing up the "Fantasy Warrior" which was recently released by Dexsoft-Games. I just posted some preview screens of the new upcoming Cyborg Ninja character, which I will hopefully have ready before Monday.
Cheers guys have a nice weekend !

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 22:50
very nice character its like crysis met MGS4

gamer for life
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 08:58
Very nice too bad you wont continue it. Is there a chance that you might sell those models?

PUNK IS BACK!
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 09:36 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2009 10:17
Thanks Punk13. I will definitely continue, but the progress will be rather slow. I don't think I will sell my level assets, if it comes to my own projects I'd rather keep the stuff exclusive.
But I could consider an asset pack with slightly edited versions and of course different textures. But the question is if the demand would justify the effort and time that would go into such a pack.
I think the highest chance for me to create an asset pack would be if Dexsoft would approach me and ask me to do it.
But I will continue working on this, at least until I have my character in it, and some sort of interactivity with the environment. Then I'll see where I'll go from there.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 18:08
I opened this when some friends of mine were watching and they asked me if I was going on vacation lol...

I do agree with my friends though (even though they don't know this is all about game developement), the pics look very good!

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 07:56
Cool Cool Irradic i hope to be purchasing your new Fantasy Warrior soon aswell. My question though is was this done in Leadwerks? It sure looks like it.

PUNK IS BACK!
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Punk13 that's great ! Actually, everything you see was captured out of Darkbasic Pro. The oriental scene and all the character images.
I don't have/own the Leadwerks engine. You can achieve some great visuals with DBPro, if you have the right shaders and of course 3D assets.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 09:53
stunning graphics , the bloom / blur shader sorta makes my eyes hurt though.

My eyes need to be focused on something xD

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 08:14
Looks great irradic. Good Job and goodluck with the future of the project.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Dragon Knight and Violent Pigeon - Thanks a lot !

The blur won't be that bad once the character is in. I'll tweak the settings later. Although the the distance blur comes handy.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 13:18
This looks absolutely stunning, nice work! I can't wait to see how this progresses.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 03:01
I'd just like to add Irradic, now that i've seen how well you can do, i'll be expecting more high quality work ^-^ heh good luck though

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 18:34
This looks great. Super models, and your shaders, lighting settings and all that are well done- the end result is very pleasing to the eye. Obviously there's much work to be done getting from a graphical demo to a running game, but you seem to know what you're doing so far. It's cool that you're being realistic about what you wish to achieve, using the smallish separate areas technique and that. Good luck!

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 17:45 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 17:53
Hello all ! First of all, thanks for all your feedback. Your kind words are motivating me. Since I was working on a character set the last days (wink Violent Pigeon), I thought I'll finish the projects main character while I'm at it.
I have loaded the character into the level, but still have to add collision and a proper 3rd person camera. Most likely I'll do that once I have the zone finished. Anyway the lack of shadows etc is obvious on the screens. But rendering global illumination, etc. now would be useless. I would have to do it all over again once all the object are in place and the zone is completed.

A few weeks ago I asked (in the Learning shaders thread) if somebody could combine my Normalmap shader with the fastbone shader in order to let the GPU handle the animations. My attempts were unsuccessful, hence I was looking for someone who could help me out, in return for a favor or character pack. I'm aware of Evolveds normalbone shader in his defferred shader pack, but I need my current Normalmap shader specifically. If you think you could be of help, let me know.

I could also use some advice regarding collision. Mainly concerning performance. Dark Physics or Sparkys Dll ? Which is advisable to use ?

Anyway, here are the new shots.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 18:04
Wow, everything looks so professional! I can't wait until you get some sword-action up and running.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 20:35

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 21:36 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 21:40
YES ! I managed to combine the fastbone shader with the normal map shader myself. What a feeling of accomplishment haha.
It was just a small mistake which I overlooked. The fps difference is quiet large, 793 without fastbone and around 1900 with it.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 22:10 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 22:21
Quote: "793 without fastbone and around 1900 with it."

Wow my games run at 30FPS and don't look half as nice . Any ideas where I could find that fastbone shader?

Excellent work by the way

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 23:02 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 23:30
Thanks Sixty Squares ! Sorry about the confusion, the 793/1900 are the character alone, with animation, inside a viewer. The demo itself doesn't run that fast.
Anyway, I attached the fastbone shader to this post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 23:20 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 23:22
Quote: "the 793/1900 are the character alone, with animation, inside a viewer."

Oh, you had me worried there . Thanks for uploading the fastbone shader, although in that demo it only boosts me from about 500fps to 560fps at 1024x728x32 screen resolution. It's still an improvement though .

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 02:06
Looks absolutely stunning! Seriously impressed! Can't wait to see more of this!

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 05:26 Edited at: 19th Mar 2009 05:54
@Dr Parsnips - Thanks a lot Dr Parsnips !

@Sixty Squares - That Bruce character is running at around 1950fps without fastbone and at 2200-2300 fps with fastbone on my PC. The monk character isn't really that complex, so it doesn't surprise me that the difference isn't that big. However, I'm sure, if you should load more complex characters or just a bigger number of animated characters, that the difference in fps will be bigger.
Try loading the character 5 times and then look at the difference.
Anyway, why not test it in your project and let me know if it improved the framerate for you.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 17:48 Edited at: 19th Mar 2009 17:49
It turned some of the DarkMatter 2 models I was using into lines . It's fine though, I don't want to hijack your thread. I may try normal mapping anyway. And on a side note, you've got a pretty fast computer there!

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2009 19:14 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 17:53
@Sixty Squares - Don't worry about it. Actually I had that lines problem as well. It happened when I used the set display command to change the resolution of the fastbone example. However I'm not experiencing that problem with the edited normalmap-fastbone shader in my viewer.
Thanks, but my PC is almost 3 years old. I just replace the graphics card every now and then. I'm currently using a Geforce 9600GT, the performance is pretty good considering the price.

OK, coming to the "viewer/demo". So I chose Dark Physics over Sparky's DLL. The implementation of collision didn't go without problems. First the character kept on falling through the level, and once that was fixed the character was standing on top of it's bounding box. Dark Physics needs the pivot to be at the center of the character, for the bounding box/capsule to be around the character and not beneath it. If it comes to characters I always have the pivot at 0,0,0 so the feet would be above ground.
I changed the pivot location in my 3d modeler, but that of course did offset the mesh from the BIP skeleton.
But at the end everything worked out fine.
The camera follow command wasn't all that, I guess that was to expect being the easy way out. Given, the relatively small distance between camera and character, the cam kept on ending up inside the character.
I could have increased the distance or change the camera fov, but I just ended up coding the camera from scratch. I got the result I wanted and the cam now stays out of the character.
Next time I'll continue with the level geometry, but for now it's back to the paid projects.

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2009 21:31 Edited at: 25th Mar 2009 21:33
You asked a few posts back which way to do collision, by far I'd say use sparky's dll. Amazingly quick! I even tried to beat it by doing a small trick one of my lectures taught me and yet i couldn't get the same FPS

-Edit- On a side note what are you using to model them in? What advise would you give someone wanting to learn to model, currently i've got maya, and 3ds Max 6.0 at my disposal. Touched a bit on 3DS max, but nothing much. Still gotta learn how to apply textures properly.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the advice. I'm using Dark Physics at the moment. But if there is quiet a difference performance wise, then maybe I should take another look at Sparky's Dll.
Regarding your question...I never had the chance to test Maya, I've been using 3ds Max for 8 years now and never really had the desire to use something else. A few years ago the thought was there to move over to Maya, but then I would have to relearn the interface and work flows.
Since you are just about to learn, and have both software's to your disposal, it's really up to you which one you pick.
Gnomon Workshop has excellent learning materials for both applications.
3dtotal.com is a good source for free web tutorials.
Sorry if I can't give you a definite answer to your question, but both are great softwares. You won't go wrong with either of them.

Jade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 00:30
i cant see ur shots. jpeg format please!!!

Just a nub trying to figure it out ^_^
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:03 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 04:08
They are .jpeg...

Looking great by the way

<---Spell casting battle game!
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jade - They are in .jpeg format. Since they all have a resolution of 1680x1050, it might take a while for them to load up.
Try the link below and see if anything shows up for you

@Sixty Squares - Thanks a lot. Your project is great, I've been playing Guild Wars for a long time.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 16:26
I'd recommend posting smaller pictures, very few here have resolutions big enough to see that at once.

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
K, thanks for the advice.
Resized images for those using smaller resolutions. The original sized images are linked on the first page.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 06:22
AAA Quality - Absolutely Professional looking. Wish I could model like that ::sigh::

Keep up the good work!

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 06:37
You're truly moving into a league of your own so to speak , I'm surprised the news letter ain't mentioned this state of the art work. If you were to publish something of this caliber I'm pretty sure it would do wonders to show people what can be done. Inspiring them to be better etc..

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad you like it.
I think there is just not enough to show off yet. Maybe some time in the future it will be worthy of a mention in the newsletter.
That would be definitely great, but I'm not really expecting it.
A lot can be done if you are willing to invest some time and effort.

Anyway... I wasn't going to post any progress yet, not much has changed.
But here are some pics of the latest state of the scene.

I improved some textures, specially the ones for the trees. The old one was a bit blunt. Added some bamboo to see how it looks inside the engine. I think it turned out well.

I added a water shader which I'm using for the pond.

The blur has problems with the alpha planes of the trees. Some planes would be blurred all the time, others would break the distance blur if far away. I tried different transparency modes but that didn't help.

I'm still using the build-in DBPro particles at the moment, still looking for a replacement. So don't wonder why you can see the particles through other objects.

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 11:26 Edited at: 12th Apr 2009 11:28
Outstanding

I have a suggestion, where you have the wall and next to the wall is grass, you could paint some grass on the wall texture, so it'd look like the grass is sticking out and it's not just a flat plain.
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Garion, thanks for the suggestion ! The original idea was to use billboards/planes for grass later on. You know, just have some grass spread along the edges and on the ground. But your idea works as well, maybe I'll do a combination of both.
But those are things which I'll do at the end, placing grass and some planes with dirt and fallen leaves.

cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 15:27 Edited at: 13th Apr 2009 15:29
wow...this is amazing, Irradic you have outdone yourself.
someone could mistake it for a render, really.

can i a few question.
whats your fps?
and what graphic card do you use?

and a few tips to help:
Quote: "I'm still using the build-in DBPro particles at the moment, still looking for a replacement"

you can try zparticles.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111357&b=5 warning you'll have to hide the particles to avoid z-deaph problems.

or wait for DBpro update 7.2 with new particles and cloth.
or try dark physics.

and for shadows try this download gile[s] it's free now
[href]http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=§ion=giles⊂=download][/href]
just allow shadows to be cast and recived with no lighting on the object export with a different name in x format and delete the new model but leave the lightmap model
and add it into the secne so you have real time lights with normal mapping and baked shadows.

hope this helps,
cyril

edit: this is a long post

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:22:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:22:29