Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Galaxy Generation Program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 12:29
Hi all i am currently considering making a galaxy generation program based on whatever data i can gather on different types of systems..

now what i need to know is what you actually think of this and whether or not you have some or alot of useful information...

suggest some features why dont you and i will see if i can shov'em in..

also note that i will make this open source for everybody and i will try not to use any media...
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 14:24
That sounds quite cool...

I dunno if this would be possible, but maybe you could try to get info about real galaxies and model those....

Even if you can't I think it'd be cool to animate / rotate the galaxies so that they actually look like galaxies, not just pictures...

Looking forward to see what you've got !

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 17:46
I did something like this a few months ago:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142779&b=8

It was more a kind of arty/mathematicky project than an attempt to accurately recreate solar systems, though.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 21:42
Calcyman also had one but I think that was more for making pictures than actually making moving models of galaxies...

lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 23:55
i was thinking i would push more towards displaying on galaxy at a tim for now, imight move on to other things. I may also have a small visiual interface showing the position and size of the planets moons, rotations(maybe) and orbits..

i might even through in some extra stuff like black holes asteroids nebulae..

ive been looking all over the net on information that should provide as much data as i need, but i still need more...

thanks for the replies and the link to the snippet ill take a look into it....
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 02:23
ok i have decided to post my development here until this program is worthy of a WIP thread..

i have started by printing off over 60 sheets of data on stars and planets, that should be enough for now...

im going to start by making simple stars so no binary or trinary systems now, im going to be using the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram to get the stars data right...

you can see the information i have on stars here http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/stars/startypes.shtml

if theres anything that you can add to that i would greatly appreciate anything you can give!..
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 06:25 Edited at: 8th Mar 2009 06:50
i have just completed a table for the main sequence stars

Quote: "
V Main Sequence Stars

Star Type, Sub Type, Color, Surface Temperature *kalvin, Average Mass *SM, Average Radius *Radii, Average Luminosity *SL
O, V, Blue, over 25,000 *K, 60, 15, 1400000,
B, V, Blue, 11,000 to 25,000 *K, 18, 7, 20000,
A, V, Blue, 7,500 to 11,000 *K, 3.2, 2.5, 80,
F, V, Blue to White, 6,000 to 7,500 *K, 1.7, 1.3 6
G, V, White to Yellow, 5,000 to 6,000 *K, 1.1, 1.1, 1.2,
K, V, Orange to Red, 3,500 to 5,000 *K, 0.8, 0.9, 0.4,
M, V, Orange, under 3,500 *K, 0.3, 0.4, 0.04,

*K - look at table below for temperature conversions

*kalvin
from Kelvin, to Kelvin
Celsius [°C] = [K] − 273.15, [K] = [°C] + 273.15
Fahrenheit [°F] = [K] × 9 ⁄ 5 − 459.67, [K] = ([°F] + 459.67) × 5 ⁄ 9
Rankine [°R] = [K] × 9 ⁄ 5, [K] = [°R] × 5 ⁄ 9

*SM - Solar Mass, 1 SM = about 3,324,946,000 trillion tonnes

*Radii - it is the solar radius wich is 695,500 kilometers

*SL - The Solar Liminocity can be measured in watts as 3.839 × 1026 W or erg per second as 3.839 × 1033erg/s
"

if there is any information that you have noticed missing please let me know, im gunna need it

EDIT1: i have found more information on the stars and i will be trying to write up a document explaining what everything means...

see you soon when i have got more ink to print off more reading material...
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2009 05:38 Edited at: 9th Mar 2009 05:40
i have just finished most of the data theres a few things i havent really bothered with yet..

if you see anything wrong or would like to fill in a spot that says Unknown please tell me..

i have attached the table in an html/xhtml document...

next thing to do is program the stars in then i might move on to double stars, binary systems, nuetron stars, black holes etc etc...

any suggestions welcome!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 04:00
i take it that there isnt anything noticably wrong with my table and/or there is little interest to this..

i will be making a new thread in the WIP forum im the next couple of days once my compiler starts to work again..

any last minute requests???
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 12:24 Edited at: 15th Mar 2009 12:25
I see you have some clear ideas above average.

Many people starts writting some planets simulation and they don't even care about the data to be treated, and so, the results use to be full of astronomical mistakes. So far, you are pointing right with that data. Of course there are always more details as you dig in the star representation, but you have a good start.

Nevertheless, I must say that this is an ambitious concept for a premiere project. I don't know your programming background, but here you face some computational problems that use to stop most of the people.

You must think not only about the positioning and appearance of the bodies, but about the performance and the computer limitations.
Since space is huge, you'll soon find your FPS drop down when an astronomically small number of stars are added and treated in a 'bulk' way. Same goes for planets etc.
So always keep performance in mind, and accept that there would be 100 ways to do the things easier, but they won't move so fast.
Also, beware of floating point precision limit, as it uses to raise as a 'strange shacking' of the object and the camera.

I think that's all as a start. Don't think that people doesn't care, they read and some are interested, but some doesn't have anything to add, and others don't have the time...
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 12:33
thankyou for your comments, i have begun towork on this utility and the first version is being tested by my beta tester atm and i will probablyrelease it to the world tomorrow seeming as its quite simple for now.

I am actually planning to use this to make files for my Solar Exodus game which will load the files in when i actually decide to add them..

I have many more plans for this but most dont extend beyond a solar system of maybe 10 planets and 30 moons, but for the computational problems; graphics are not needed it is only a utility to help my game.

Anyway on an end note i will most likely release the source once i have a version that is appropriately usable...

thankyou
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 00:51
Quote: "I have many more plans for this but most dont extend beyond a solar system of maybe 10 planets and 30 moons"

In that case, I suppose that performance may not be such an issue: if you were to model the entire Milky Way you'd have to use some kind of method for hiding/culling the planets that can't be seen. For only a relatively small number of planets, I suppose you should bear performance in mind if you're going to have other things going on, but it might not be such an obstacle.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 00:58
i may end up doing a whole galaxy but that will only show stars as small bright dots and will probably use a textured plain to get the right effect, so performane isnt really an issue.

As people used to say "I can handle it"
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 06:57
okay im officially making this a WIP...

go there to see anymore updates...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:07:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:07:49