Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / C O S M: A Concept for Inner-Space MORPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 10:00 Edited at: 21st Apr 2009 19:12

I've been very inspired by KISTech's Worlds Apart Online. So inspired that I took a small break to outline some ideas materializing for a Space MMO OR should I say a Inner-Space MMO. Whats taking shape in my mind’s eye is a hybrid between The Fantastic Voyage & Star Trek with elements from several other Sci-Fi Television Shows and Movies, codename: C O S M. Design Motivations: 1) Replace typical outerspace environment with something unfamiliar using similar analogies. Something vast in space in which cool propulsion and warp drive systems are logical; 2) Participate as both a humanoid character 3rd Person and Ship 1st Person Cockpit ; 3) Promote co-operative game play; 4) Focus on Role Playing and Exploration; 5) A little Asteroids-inspired Shooter I wrote with Blitz3D called c e l l u l a r.

Concept: You (The Player) belong to a advance species of nano sentient beings. You begin your journey as a low ranking crew member (intern) onboard The Vessel, whos mission is too explore the Nanocosms of strange and new Alien Lifeforms ( referred to as a Xenocosm) and promote life performing various tasks: repair damage, combat infection, transport nutients, map genomes, etc. The Vessel can support upto 256 crew members and is a self-contained Archology. One of the aspect I enjoyed about Star Trek was the scale of the Enterprise and the many adventures that took place onboard or involved The Enterprise. The Enterprise had character to it and I desire to capture the same with The Vessel providing plenty of quests and community events on surface, shipboard and InnerSpace.

c e l l u l a r

The premise of exploring the Xencosm, presents a simple and powerful opportunity to create strange universes that break the traditional behaviors associated with the space shooter mmo genre. Since we really don’t know what alien anatomy looks like at a nanoscopic level, nothing is out of reach. Like any good Sci-Fi Epic I want conflict, and the Xenocosm itself and other Nano Sentients with alternate agendas are Nemesis to your crew’s mission. One idea I have a for the `bad guy` is a Rogue organization of nano sentients hellbent on the destruction of Xenocosms to make way for the Omnicosm. At the moment I have a foggy idea on what the Omnicosm is exactly, and it has religious overtones. I’m going flush this idea out more. I would expect Alien organisms to have defense mechnisms to defend against invaders and perhaps The Vessel uses some form of `cloaking` tech to avoid detection. What happens if the Cloak is broke?

Combat and Non-Combat Role. There are Jobs that need to performed to maintain The Vessel. Serving these roles earn rank, skills, items, etc. With Non-Combat Roles I see plenty of opportunity to Role Play. Devising a reward system for player interaction and role play is the goal here. Combat Roles: Fighter & Pilot. All members are by default trained in basic hand weapons and basic combat craft piloting. Players can select different Fighter and Pilot roles (D/T/H model). By participating in combat, you train combat skills and earn weapon upgrades. Members who have attained the rank and privlege can serve as Bridge Officer with highest rank being Bridge Commander. Bridge Officers participate in specialize missions (Raids) , cooperative navigation and battles on the Bridge of the Home Vessel, and can issue commands that affect the entire Vessel and crew members. Exceptional Officers are promoted to Commander and awarded their own Vessel and Crew.

Another strong desire is to create both an active and passive co-operative experience when you are on The Vessel, Shuttles, and other areas occupied with other players. I want to convey scale of The Vessel. When looking out of the windows of The Vessel you should be able see hull (if in view), even other players. If things are happening outside the hull, you should be able to see, hear, and feel them cooperatively.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 21:57
Graphics need a little bit of colour, but its early days =)
Looks like your travelling through a blood stream... and from your brief, it sounds like a promising game. I like the idea of being a
Quote: "nano sentient being"
whatever one is =)

Good luck with this !

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 03:19
Wow, that's got potential. The whole "sandbox style RPG on a space ship" thing is similar to an idea I had a very long time ago, but the whole "sentient being the size of a blood cell" thing is unlike anything I've ever heard of. It sounds like it could be alot of fun.

Quote: "Graphics need a little bit of colour"

My impression was that the screenshot was from:
Quote: "A little Asteroids-inspired Shooter I wrote with Blitz3D called C e l l u l a r"

If he makes the game in DBPro, the graphics should be far superior to that.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Mike Schlueter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 06:21
Shoot me down if this is a bad Idea, or too complicated, or you don't like it.

Your character is a fighter pilot by trade and has always wanted to be apart of The Vessel's crew. He/She gets recruited as a fighter pilot on The Vessel and helps defend it on missions. They get promoted and soon get to be in charge of a, saaaaayyy, a frigite (pertend I spent that right). same process, defend The Vessel, and then have a few more ships inbetween, and then They get to lead The Vessel.

Here's another idea:

Depending on what types of crew members you have effects your ship:

*engineers= health regeneration

*gunnery crew= amount of guns, their damage, and effiencey

*medics= restore lost crew (if you wanted to add in that as you take damage, you lose crew)

*Pilots= makes flying ship better.

Thats all I can think of right know. Hope something here works for you.

I'm Proud to Be Canadian

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 03:51:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 03:51:41