Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Public Test - Upgrade 7.4

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 18:26 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 13:41
Hi Guys,

This beta continues the work started in U73 beta to resolve those little niggling issues you are having. Log below and link to the new upgrade:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta1.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta2.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta3.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta5.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta6.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta7c.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta8.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_beta9.zip

We have also released the long awaited, and much anticipated source code to FPS Creator V115, which you can find in the Extras update. Please make your reports regarding FPS Creator V115 source code issues directly to Lee at lee@thegamecreators.com in order to keep this thread clear for U74 bug reports. Ensure you read the README.TXT in the Extras folder before copying over any files to begin compiling FPS Creator source code, downloadable from here:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_4_Extras.zip

Here is a log of the changes for this version:

Upgrade 7.4
===========

Extras
------

* Updated FPSCreator source code engine in EXTRAS (for V115 version)
* Provided fix to allow lighting to work properly (fix thanks to S4REAL)

Help
----

* Added new TextureCameraBackdrop to SNIPPETS to show how to use TEXTURE BACKDROP
* Added new ZBiasUsage to SNIPPETS to show how to use the ZBIAS command for 3D
* Modified SET BLEND MAPPING ON command with better example
* Added new SimpleBlendMapping to SNIPPETS to show how to use basic blend mapping
* NOTE: Icelandic keyboards will only work with Service Pack 3 or above!

Compiler
--------

* Now detects for and produces an error on RETURN commands inside user functions
* Above only happens when the 'RemoveSafetyCode=Yes' flag is set in SETUP.INI
* Updated to allow new DarkCLOUDS official plug-in for U74 onwards

Basic3D
-------

* Modified internal bounds computation for certain X files used by FPSCV115
* Added new GAMEFX command called SET UNIVERSE CULLING for FPSCV115 source code
* Fixed camera distance calculation for LOCKED objects (wrong zdepth sort in mode 6)
* Added extra parameter to SET BLEND MAPPING ON to allow limb number to be used:
* SET BLEND MAPPING ON Object Number, Limb Number, Stage Index, Image Number, TexCoordMode, Blend Mode, Arg1, Arg2, Arg0, ArgResult
* Fixed culling issue for scaled objects (sw)
* Fixed unpredictable order of rendering for ghosted objects at the same distance from camera (sw)
* Replaced sort routines for rendering order when sorting by texture, object id or distance - all are now much faster
* Disabled removal of reflection and shadow stencil effects when changing an object texture
* When reflection shading is disabled on all objects, the double-render is now also disabled
* PICK OBJECT with a flag of 0 will now only pick non-locked objects. When used with a flag of 1 will now only pick locked objects
* When creating a new instance from an existing instance, the new instance will be allowed and will refer to the original object, not the source instance
* Relocated retrieval of camera settings when rendering to reduce the number of retrievals carried out (performance)
* OBJECT IN SCREEN has been change to use a more accurate method of detection
* Ensure that when carrying out distance checks for object render order that the current camera is used, not camera 0.
* When using creation mode 6/7, sorting is carried out every frame to ensure that correct camera distances are used - this may have a minor impact on performance in those modes.
* (REMOVED FROM BETA 7) Ensured U/V ADDRESS states updated when shader used (solves cartoon model issue)
* (REMOVED FROM BETA 8) Creating a plane with a flag value of 0 would create a plane with a Y rotation of 180 degrees - this would be lost when instancing the plane (instances don't inherit rotation or position). The initial plane is now created with a fixed rotation that is not lost
* Each render phase now has it's own object list, to avoid repeated checks during rendering for a performance increase.
* Fixed Transparency and Camera Mask problem in Basic3D DLL from BETA8
* (REINTRODUCED FOR BETA 9) Ensured U/V ADDRESS states updated when shader used (but moved before BEGINPASS)

Particles
---------

* Fixed bug reintroduced through DarkGDK, fog no longer resets when particles used

Debugger
--------

* Copied MFC71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL into the Compiler folder for compatibility

Core
----

* Fixed bug causing array element deletion to cause wrong string to be released
* Corrected the updates of the DATA pointer so that it can never point outside of the data
* New method implemented for fixed-rate syncing. The new method will provide the exact frame rate requested
* Fixed bug where FAST SYNC would incorrectly update the time of last sync, causing a slow-down when using a fixed sync rate
* New implementation of a render order list for more third party flexibility

Camera
------

* Restored Camera DLL to use d3dx9_31.dll from October 2006 DirectX SDK (legacy)
* Implemented the TEXTURE BACKDROP and related commands
* Reorder of internal structures to avoid breaking third-party plug-ins.

Sound
-----

* Updated main sound updater loop to perform faster when large sound list used
* A second RECORD SOUND statement while a first is still recording is no longer ignored. The first recording is now stopped and created (if anything was recorded) before the second recording is started. A STOP RECORDING statement is still needed for the second recording, but not for the first

Setup
-----

* Added two more parameters to SET DISPLAY MODE to allow backbuffer to be a different size than resolution
* Above syntax: SET DISPLAY MODE w,h,d,vsync,msfactor,mmmode,bkwidth,bkheight
* Added an additional parameter to SET DISPLAY MODE to allow virtual reality mode
* Above syntax: SET DISPLAY MODE w,h,d,vsync,msfactor,mmmode,bkwidth,bkheight,vrmode
* Added new command: SET NVPERFHUD Flag (0=use HAL and 1=use NVPerfHUD HEL mode)
* Above command will allow your application to run with NVPerfHUD if set to one

Input
-----

* When using multiple controllers, forcefeedback would only work on the first device it was used on. Now works for all devices
* Forcefeedback is now determined by device rather than only for the last controller activated
* New function CONTROL DEVICE INDEX can be used to determine which controller is currently active
* New command SET JOYSTICK DEADZONE can be used with the 'digital' joystick commands (eg JOYSTICK UP) to make them less sensitive to values returned from the current controller
* New multi-function JOYSTICK INFORMATION can be used to get various pieces of information about the current controller
* Updated PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR CONTROL DEVICES to place an index value in CHECKLIST VALUE B, making the use of multiple controllers with identical names much easier
* New command SET KEY STATE TOGGLE allows the current toggle value of a key to be set to the specified value - see GET KEY STATE for more information

Light
-----

* Implemented SET LIGHT TO OBJECT POSITION and SET LIGHT TO OBJECT ORIENTATION to work - previously they did nothing
* SET VECTOR3 TO LIGHT ROTATION changed to return angles rather than a direction vector

Sprite
------

* Changed horizontal sprite texture scrolling mode from clamped to wrapping, in line with vertical scrolling
* Replaced priority sorting system with a much faster method - sprite priority will now have little to no effect on sprite rendering time
* Rewrite of sprite rendering process to group sprites with common priority and textures together to enhance the speed of rendering
* Sprites outside the display area are culled early to reduce the amount of rendering

Text
----

* FIRST TOKEN$ and NEXT TOKEN$ changed to avoid corrupting the input string
* APPEND$ command removed - corrupts memory and there is no way to fix it to work correctly
* Fixed FIRST TOKEN bug which caused internal string overflow with large string handling

-----

* Fixed creation of internal long filename for textures to correct path
* Modified earlier V109 BETA8 fix to allow image info load from physical file (imageblock bug)

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Little Bill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 20:20
I'm sure this will be very useful to the FPSCreator modding community, so thanks!

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 23:05
Thank you Lee!!!You da man!

Claws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 01:18
Awesome, Lee. Thank you very much.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 01:48
Thanks Lee
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 02:07
calls to get image after using texture backdrop causes graphics to mess up. This was tested on a vista OS so it is possibly an OS related issue. additionally, the backdrop does not look right unless the project is set to use full screen windowed mode.
run-time errors are produced when using set display mode (this could also be an OS issue )

gamerboots~

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Butterkiss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 04:18
Here Comes the Revolution...

B1
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 08:42
Everytime I try to compile ANY program, it just says compilation failed - syntax errors.
How to fix?

DarkBASIC Pro. Teh awesumness
DarthBasicVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 11:05
Tryed to compile FPSC sources and it's OK.
I can't believe i've put my hands on these sources
I suggest you to compare this file with the v107 sources ... you'll learn a lot in terms of game engines

Riccardo
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:13
@Rampage:

I too am having this issue, however, event hough the Editor says "Compilation Failed" you'll find that the .exe has been created anyway. I have yet to see one of these produced exes actually do something other than crash, though.

I really don't like the new editor. I wish the old editor worked in this new version. At least I could cancel a compile in the old Editor.

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 02:15
@Lee:

Here's an image of what I'm seeing from this new update

The one and only,

Attachments

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 03:18 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 03:22
auto ,I just noticed something else , the average fps for projects with the u74 appears to me to have dropped by approximately 5-10% ( its slower! )
I am using the old editor and things compile fine as long as I'm in full screen - window mode , Please see my earlier post about backdrop issues.

gamerboots~
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 08:04 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 08:29
Lee, there is something wrong with the new Editor.

Occassionaly when I Undo or Redo changes, the change won't happen properly, resulting in screw ups in the code. This type of thing also happens sometimes when pasting in large sections of code.

Right now, I've resorted to using Notepad for coding!! I couldn't get the old editor working...

[EDIT]
Found another bug.
If you're scrolled pretty far down in the code, and edit the source outside of the Editor, it'll ask you if you want to reload the source. When you say yes, sometimes it won't return to the top of the code... when this happened to me it would only let me scroll UP to line 74 or so.

If you could change the editor, could you also allow us to cancel a compile? (If you can already do this, I would really like to know how)

[EDIT2]

When two constants are declared with the same name, it returns with that whole "Compilation Failed (Syntax Error)", but it doesn't tell you what exactly went wrong. (Jeez, that took me an hour just to figure that out)

The one and only,

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 08:30
Oh rats. So thats me AND Ply, and yeah, that was the problem I was talking about to you on MSN. I get the EXACT same error as Ply, for any type of code, yet I find it produces a exe that has a habbit of crashing as soon as you open it, something about the code in Lightmapper.dll for me.

DarkBASIC Pro. Teh awesumness
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 22:22 Edited at: 30th Apr 2009 22:23
Yeah, I can vouch for similar/same problems with the new editor as well (also missing useful functions, for example, it doesn't even support F3 'find next' like -notepad- does). For now, I'd suggest going back to the original editor (which can indeed be broken by the U73/74 update). If you receive an index bounds error message, remove or move these files from the Compiler-plugins-licensed folder:

PhysicsMain_PC.dll
PhysicsMain_PC_Master.dll
PhysicsMainLang_PC.loc

If you get continual error messages when trying to do anything, you may need to install a default.ini file in the editor-language folder.

Also, if you haven't already, apply the IDE update available here to fix some of the problems with the old editor: http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=ide

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 01:48
Another thing the New Editor seems to have problems with:

The "Labels" folder is never populated. I know there are at least 30 labels in this program, but the folder never populates with them.

That makes it a huge pain to navigate around the source, since I would then need to run a search for the label... and if I can't remember exactly what the name of the label is, it just makes it that much harder to get to.

The one and only,

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 02:07 Edited at: 1st May 2009 02:08
More reasons why I'm still using Codesurge

Thanks for the compiler update, though, it seems to be working fine!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 1st May 2009 13:45
I'm still having problems with the new editor. On my new machine I've got a clean install from the Dark Game Studio disk immediately followed by upgrade 7.4beta. Existing projects open, compile and run fine without problems. But I just can't seem to get the hang of creating a new project cleanly with the new editor.

I intend to post back with details of a number of problems, but in the meantime there is one persistent problem I seem unable to overcome.

I usually run my code in fullscreen mode - all my existing projects run fine like that. However, with the new editor I just can't get a new project set up to use Fullscreen. The Tools/Defaults window shows that fullscreen has been selected - but the project file stays at Windowed, even after re-starting the editor or rebooting the PC. I've been resorting to manually editing the project file to use fullscreen and from there on the project will run fine in the new editor. Surely that shouldn't be necessary? Have I missed something obvious?

Another feature which I find extremely irritating is that every time I create a new project I have to explicitly enter the name of the executable - I usually name the executable and project after the main source code file, e.g.

myProg.dba
myProg.dbpro
myProg.exe

This was easy in the old editor. Surely there must be a simple way of making this the default behaviour in the new one?

It's quite possible that I'm missing something "obvious". If so, could some kind person put me out of my misery?

I've also found that it is easy to lose all your code with the new editor - but I'll come back on that after more testing (it could be "user error" ).
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 19:55 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 06:29
updated :

The snap on the left was taken using shift-print screen before the snip to save a screen shot was active , the snap on the right was taken from both dbp u73 and u 74 so this little bug might appear in the u73 non-beta release (will do further testing and get back with ya)

ocnfirmed, its in the u73 release update,

Regards
Emperor Gamerboots~

Attachments

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 20:16
I thought the new editor was Synergy editor? They didn't use Synergy IDE instead did they? I haven't tried the new IDE that DBP comes with ... but synergy editor (not Synergy IDE) itself doesn't seem to cause me any problems. Works great. Of course I'm still pretty much a hard core Blue IDE V1 man as it hasn't let me down even once so far. Guess I'm just lucky. But I do use Synergy Editor to help people on occasion that uses it. Blue IDE hates Synergy's files from both versions.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 20:32
they have changed Synergy. Half of the features are missing. And it runs really badly, why dont they just ship it as synergy on the forums? Its alot better.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 22:02
Lee

Quote: "This beta continues the work started in U73 beta to resolve those little niggling issues you are having"

The long line concatenation symbol problem seems to be fixed. My first attempt at reproducing the earlier problem with this update appeared to show the same problem - but I can't now reproduce it so I guess I did something silly. Looks like it is fixed.

For example, both the following now seem to work:

and

However, although the second snippet above compiles I get a stupid error box as I type warning me of bracket imbalance before I compile. I guess an ignorable warning error is not too bad - but it must be very confusing to a newcomer. Perhaps this ought to be fixed as well? The imbalance should only be tested and reported when the line is complete.

I'm still having difficulties entering a new project. For example, I've just tested the following sequence which seems quite natural to me:

1. Open DBP.
2. Choose new empty project.
3. Type some code.
4. Save the dba code using Save As into a folder "progs", e.g. as file "prog1.dba".
5. Save the project using Save Project As into the same folder, e.g. "prog1.dbpro".
6. Set the exe name to something appropriate, e.g. "prog1.exe".
7. Click the compile and run button and get weird error "Could not locate source file prog1.dba" so it refuses to compile. Why not? I can locate it easily enough.
8. I ignore the error, click OK and close DBPro. I then get another warning dialogue box saying "Project has been modified. Do you want to save it?". I rather nervously choose "Yes".
9. I re-open DBP, re-open my newly saved project. It compiles and runs fine.

But what a hassle for such a straightforward task. No wonder some newcomers just give up in disgust. This is just the sort of nonsense we had with the original IDE.

I've also managed to lose all my source code in another test project in a manner that a newcomer would. This was disturbingly reminiscent of the old editor problems. I'll see if I can reproduce the steps that gave that (I could have done something silly again of course ...).
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 02:56
Hey, is it just me, or does DB not like .3DS models anymore?

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 06:54 Edited at: 2nd May 2009 07:13
TGC , I have a serious suggestion about the editor that I hope you take them into consideration. what we need is an alternative editor that is simple, yet effective that requires little or no dependencies. I was thinking about this earlier and it came to mind "How hard would it be to recompile and add what you needed to dark-edit?" From what I can see it appears to have no dependencies except for directX whereas a new editor designed with the latest c+ compiler might have run-time library dependencies. Another pain in the arse is source file management. To open just a single source file and have it want to make a project out of it is just plain annoying. You cant open mutliple source files because it wants to make a project out of everything. I suggest that you could have the editor automatically set and save project data defaults for each source file (where no project file exists) in each of the source files respective directories and that the editor use tabs (simular to internet explorer 7 only in notepad form). This would effectively eliminate the things I am talking about while at the same time make a decent editor
edit:
I found a link to something simular to what I'm talking about :
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadproscreen.html

Regards
Emperor Gamerboots~
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 07:13
Quote: "I'm still having difficulties entering a new project."

Hm, wierd.

I have only encountered 2 bugs with the new editor.

1) The window/fullscreen one. Where fullscreen is selected, but can only change windowed res. I fix it by selecting a dif option and switch back to fullscreen.

and

2) It does not like compiling files not in the (C:\) directory.

Other than those two things, I love this editor. It works almost perfectly (Besides those two minor flaws.)

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 14:35 Edited at: 3rd May 2009 12:48
Quote: "Quote: "I'm still having difficulties entering a new project."

Hm, wierd."

Did you try doing things in exactly the same order as me?

If I change the order to the following then almost (see below) everything works as it should:

1. Open DBPro.
2. Choose new empty project.
3. Save Project As ... "prog2.dbpro".
4. Save As ... "prog2.dba". [Edit corrected this line.]
5. Set executable to "prog2.exe".
6. Compile and run.
7. Exit DBPro.

It seems to be vital that Step 3 precedes Step 4 - my problems seem to arise when I do those the other way round. Is this made sufficiently clear to a new user in the Getting Started docs in the Help files?

However, there is still one issue with this that I haven't yet overcome. When I use Save Project the "Save As" dialogue box opens ina sensible default folder. However, whatever I do, when I try to save the dba code using Save As the "Save As" dialoque box initially opens in an incredibly unhelpful location:

This may be a 64 bit Vista problem but I doubt it. Shouldn't the default location be somewhere sensible like the Projects folder, or better still, the current project folder? I suspect new users would be totally baffled by the folder just displayed - and it is certainly tedious to have to browse all the way from My Computer (or Vista's equivalent).

Quote: "Other than those two things, I love this editor. It works almost perfectly (Besides those two minor flaws.)"

I agree - which is why I'm persisting with these quibbles. I'd like TGC to get this one right - it certainly looks good.

I still think there's a problem with changing the defaults - but I'm going to do some more testing before commenting further.

[Edit Nothing like a bugged bug report.

Corrected file extender in Step 4 above.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 15:06 Edited at: 3rd May 2009 13:02
Quote: "I still think there's a problem with changing the defaults - but I'm going to do some more testing before commenting further. "

OK. I think I've narrowed down the problems.

There seem to be two quite separate issues:

1. You can't use the Tools/Options/Default Values menu to change the default fullscreen resolution unless you change the Screen Type first - which is silly when you don't want to change the type. I guess this is what Maindric is referring to.

2. The new Default Values do not show when you first open DBP (I'm using the empty environment option). However they do show if you then choose a new empty project. However, if you simply open a dba file - because you are going to create a new version of your program but don't want to overwrite the old one, then save it with a new name and compile/run it does seem to work using the new defaults. But the new defaults are not shown in the left-hand panel. The following image shows what I see when the default resolution is 1280x1024x32 for example:

That panel doesn't change even though the new defaults are being used to compile and run the new code. They do seem to change if you set a new project first. Shouldn't that default panel be showing the defaults even though a project hasn't been set or opened?

Attachments

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 01:11 Edited at: 3rd May 2009 03:55
Quote: "Hey, is it just me, or does DB not like .3DS models anymore?"

@BMacZero
confirmed. another bug that slipped into the u73 update-> loading a 3ds model causes the exe file to crash. I have attempted remedy this by specifying the dbp-legacy and dbp-default optional parameters but had no success. at this point I am considering reinstalling and using u72 because some of the models I need to use are in 3ds format.

Quote: "I use the attached program to convert my 3DS models into X before I use them"

very helpful , thanks

Regards
Emperor Gamerboots~
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 01:18
Cool, I'm not crazy .

I use the attached program to convert my 3DS models into X before I use them - 3DSs have a massive load time in DBP anyway, X has always been a better option for me.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 22:50 Edited at: 4th May 2009 23:04
There is still a problem with the long line concatenation symbol. I've just stumbled across it again in one of my old projects.

I simply changed the original code:

to read

and it refused to compile saying "could not determine parameter type etc".

I then put the offending code on a single line and it compiled and ran fine:

This is exactly the error I got the other day but couldn't reproduce (because I'd changed something else and couldn't recall what it was originally).

Unfortunately, this error seems to depend on the rest of the code in some obscure way - sometimes I get the error and sometimes I don't. But one thing is certain - that code compiles in all cases if the long line concatenation symbol is removed. In the case that failed it was the second instance of the long line symbol - Hmm (talks to self for a moment: "Am I using the new version of the new editor or the old version of the new editor?" - will post back when I know ).

Edit Done some tests and the code fails with both versions of the editor (apparently dated 2 Oct 2008 and 24 Mar 2009 if that helps). Here's the whole code which refuses to compile:

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 22:29
When testing a stand-alone game on my game testing computer (using U74 beta 2) I had gotten an error that stated it could not find the file d3dx9_35.dll. Apparently U74 requires a newer version of directX9.0c. I downloaded the March_2009 redist pack and installed it. It now works. However, I'm not sure what version I had before, although it did work with my old apps prior to U7x. I didn't happen to see this as an updated requirement but apparently it is the case.

Lee, what is the "oldest" 9.0c possible? Or would it be wise just to use March_2009?

Terry

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
dynamic lights dont seem to work in fpsc anymore with this new beta 2.

Best s4real

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 00:52
Quote: "This beta continues the work started in U73 beta to resolve those little niggling issues you are having, and 'maybe' bring the new official editor into the realm that would allow most of the community to give it that oh so gentle nod of approval."

The editor hasn't changed since beta 1 so I guess the bugs are still there.
gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 06:43
Quote: "The editor hasn't changed since beta 1 so I guess the bugs are still there"

I did notice that the old editor doesn't eat my code on vista.
highlighting things at the end of the code after folding/unfolding
functions doesnt work all the time , but I can live with that. I think a fixed up version of darkedit would be neat though.

Regards
Emperor Gamerboots~
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 14:09
Please report any FPSC source code related issues directly to lee@thegamecreators.com to keep this thread free for DBP related posts. BETA3 will solve the DirectX issue and we are aiming to deal with editor fixes in due course. The feedback so far is great, and gives us plenty of tweaks to run with.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
helpFile
TEXTURE BACKDROP
A missing command for Helpfile-List(camera)
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 18:06
pcRaider: edit please...

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 03:57
I can't get the editor to work using Vista Home Premium. When executing this version of DBPro directly: first I get a warning box which seems to offer me some an opportunity to learn more about "modules" but vanishes before I can read all of it or otherwise react, then a modal error message box appears stating "Cannot open file : c:\/Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic Professionl\Editor\Language\default.ini.", and after clicking OK I get another modal error message box stating "Access violation at address 00578A1D in module 'Editor.exe'. Read of address 00000000." That last quoted sentence is not mistyped; it is in fact non-grammatical. I get to the editor notwithstanding, but when I try to open a project file I get a repeat of the last quoted error message, close it, and get yet another modal box asking "Confirm? [Yes] or [No]". Confirm what? Which ever I click, it just returns to a blank editor screen.

However, I know that this revision of DBPro itself is working on my machine outside of its editor because I have no problem opening and running my projects in Codesurge 1.2b (Version distributed March 2009). Codesurge is correctly identifying the DBPro version as 1.074. Also, the projects are running fine.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 06:58
Quote: "* Copied MFC71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL into the Compiler folder for compatibility

"

Does this mean that those files are now compiled into our exe files? Or do we still need to include these with the programs we make for compatibility?

SMD3DInteractive
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 11:10
RE: Beta 5

If there is a gosub routine within a function that includes the return an error message will pop up that states:

Cannot use RETURN command inside a function at line . . .

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 11:37
Quote: "If there is a gosub routine within a function that includes the return an error message will pop up that states:

Cannot use RETURN command inside a function at line . . ."

Maybe it is because you should NOT use a gosub command inside a function and maybe it is not a bug but how it should be?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 15:19 Edited at: 11th May 2009 15:51
Quote: "Maybe it is because you should NOT use a gosub command inside a function and maybe it is not a bug but how it should be?"

Able to do so in prior versions and in the prior betas.

Although some people do not like gosub routines, they can be useful, even within a function. A function of course is useful for passing values to and from the function. That is why they are needed. Gosubs cannot do that but they can be useful as well. And if you need to do some work depending on prior code before continuing with code that follows, then a gosub is warranted. Sometimes you may need to do something more before continuing and maybe at other times you will not need to do something different or more.

=================================

test()
end

function test()

[Doing something]

if something = something then
gosub _testgosub
endif

[Continue more code within function]

exitfunction

_testgosub:
print "inside gosub inside function"
wait key
return

endfunction

===========================

If you use gosubs within a function you will need to have an exitfunction prior to where the gosubs start.

But maybe the use of gosubs within functions is something Lee is going to now prevent? If that is the case, in order to compile old code that has gosubs under u74 we will have to revise the code somehow so as to not use the gosubs.

Addendum:

Apparently, even though an error message pops up, the EXE file is still created and if you are doing a test/run (F5), the EXE will run and will run correctly with the gosub within the function (in other words the "return" does work) despite the error message.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 18:14
Hi Guys,

New BETA6 uploaded which solves the RETURN issue. If you compile with 'RemoveSafetyCode=Yes' in SETUP.INI the FPS Creator source will compile without error. If you set it to NO, this is a new error to warn you that a RETURN command inside a function is not recommended. It will complete the compile and produce an executable, but that EXE will crash out if you call your function and then hit a RETURN before you hit a GOSUB within that function. I will be interested hear from users who are using RETURN regularly inside their user functions to see if reversing this detection is the best course of action.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 18:23
As long as we know. I like being able to possibly use a gosub within a function. So, to be able to control that in the setup.ini file is good. Just my HO.

It is good that the default would be 'RemoveSafetyCode=No" The more experienced programmer can always change it whenever they like.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 21:50
I agree that it is best how it is at the moment.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 23:55
Quote: "How hard would it be to recompile and add what you needed to dark-edit?"

It would be Impossible. The guy that wrote it disappeared, and took the source with him.

pdq
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:15:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:15:39