Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / what are external editors for DB?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2009 23:50
like the title said what are external editors for DB?

the modern government tries to make time,into money that is why clock are not free! in theory time is actually money!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 00:08 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 00:09
You've got one!
DarkEdit comes with DBC, it has it's own folder in the dark basic software folder.
I think there are a few people on the forums have made but I wouldn't be able to point you to them. Search for "IDE".

[edit]
Or are you asking for a definition?
Load up Dark Edit and you'll see.

There is an eight letter word. You can insert a letter into it or remove a letter from it without changing its meaning. Answer
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 00:20
It's Just a code editor, DB.EXE is one essentially, but the external ones are ussually better and look better(Like darkEDIT is a windows theme instead of the cartoony or whatever in db.exe) and some other features(like darkedit has the functiosn and subroutines lists)

they are essentially text editors(with Syntax highlighting) that can call up db.exe and run you program.

DarkEdit is by far the best i have seen for dbc.

Exept that really proffesional looking one, but that's for lots of languages.... ummm source edit maybe?

New Site! Check it out \/
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 15:13 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 15:32
I didn't come with darkbasic but maybe thats just because I have the electric version

Edit: and DarkEdit only allows me to save and edit.dba files but I cannot compile, execute, or make a standalone exe. of the file so generally I am forced to edit in Darkedit and to test run the program or do anything other than save a program I have to open up Darkbasic use the intended editor(DB classic one) to run it then close out and go back to Darkedit and keep editing I could use the conventoinal db editor but I hate it and its in a weird non-windows enviroment
P.S. when I tried to do the monster hunt tutorial which I never finished because back then as all of you know I was a 100% noob and couldn't even figure out how to load media now I am only a 70% noob
(well at least now I under stand how to do something, text that is.)oh yeah and I was forced to actually write all the code down on a piece of paper and then type it into the DB editor(didn't know about Dark edit back then or was just to lazy to go back and forth using it either one) but basically what I'm saying is I think they made DB that way on purpose to try to make you understand your code (or at least type it in which helps to understand it, kinda like the concept of saying something repeatedly over and over to help you remember it.

Vista is a paradox created by Bill Gates to force the noble pc gamers of america to console I am here to change that. [link]www.kdlproductions.webs.com[link]
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 16:39
i know what an external editor is i just need a few that will work on db lite cause all the others didnt work!

the modern government tries to make time,into money that is why clock are not free! in theory time is actually money!
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 16:58 Edited at: 11th Jun 2009 17:02
Quote: "DarkEdit only allows me to save and edit.dba files but I cannot compile, execute, or make a standalone exe. "

Depending on what it's doing, Go to Edit, Edit Options, DarkBasic Options Tab, Change This:

DarkBASIC Program:
[Whatever Directory It Is]

To the path to Db.exe, theres a button on the right side of the text box to browse.

Oh and make sure this part show this lol:

Command Line:
Compile: [-C]
Execute: [-X]
Make EXE: [-B]
Build Final: [-F]

Then it should compile.

Sorry to do that wayyyy off topic lol

arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
No it just says error running core

Vista is a paradox created by Bill Gates to force the noble pc gamers of america to console I am here to change that. [link]www.kdlproductions.webs.com[link]
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2009 21:37
Ok Just wondering.

arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
wait nevermind that was just becuase I had entered the wrong directory, went to my computer where I installed darkbasic and it was there but another thing when I compile it just goes into the DBC editor and at the bottom it says (name of the file I am trying to load).tmp and I have no idea what a tmp file is Darkedit saves everything as a tmp.,db.,and dba (it will save it in all formats)

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 02:22
Then there's something wrong with the COMMAND LINE part in the settings. see when you run your program, it runs db.exe sending a string to it(the Command line)

so if you want to Execute a file through executing db.exe you would do it like this:

Execute File "db.exe","-x File\Path\File.type","DBPath\"

That executes a file, well if there is something wrong with the command line (if it's not EXACTLY -X or the File path specified doesn't exist) then it doesn't do anything, it just runs db.exe (like your seeing)

check your command line settings. see if they cooraspond to the one's i posted above.

now if you have more problems with this then please make a new thread. because this is wayyy! off topic lol

arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
I did but is it -X or [-X]or -x or [-x] same thing with all the other ones and do I need the parentheses.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 17:00
the [] were to simulate the edit box. you don't need them. and upper or lowercase, it doesn't matter. just as long as it says -c,-x,-b,-f it should work.

arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 18:24 Edited at: 12th Jun 2009 18:25
KK it works fine now I needed it to be lowercase with no parenthese and now it dosn't go into the db classic editor it only executes,compiles or whatever I want it to do thanks.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2009 20:17
hey....can you please stop going off topic i really need an external editor for DBC and i have already tried dark creator,darkedit,and codeKEEPER please stick to the purpose of the thread

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 09:55
If none of those satisfy you use Notepad. You can compile your program by running DB with a command line.

Quoting Compile.html in the help files:
Quote: "
COMMAND LINE COMPILER

If you prefer to use an external editor to edit your programs, you can use the command line compiler. The command line compiler allows you to compile, run and build executables without entering DarkBASIC.

1. Compiling Externally
DB.EXE -c test.dba

2. Running Externally
DB.EXE -x test.dba

3. Building An Executable Externally (no media)
DB.EXE -b "small.exe" test.dba

4. Building An Executable Externally (with media)
DB.EXE -f "large.exe" test.dba

5. Using Relative and Absolute Paths
C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic\DB.EXE -f "d:\mywork\large.exe" test.dba

When using relative paths, ensure your current directory is the project directory containing the DBA program. Your current directory will be used to write the final executable and DBCompile.LOG file. You can override this behaviour by using Absolute paths when asked for a filename in the command line. The DBCompile.LOG file contains any error messages, or completion strings returned by the compiler. The file will also include the line number at which the syntax/runtime error occurred."

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@travis

Have a look at:

Waffle's IDE

Enjoy your day.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 00:21
@latch i looked at that downloaded it and it said when i opened it
it had an error and would not open

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 18:42:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 18:42:54