Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC Developer Content Browser

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 02:10 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 00:34
Ever needed that one entity to complete your scene, but couldn't find it in the 100+ pages of the Models and Media board? Don't have any money for models in the Game Creators Store?

Use the FPSC Developer Content Browser by Molten Byte Design!
Special thanks to dark peanut, hockeykid and Ekipshi!

What is the FPSC Developer Content Browser (FPSCDCB or DCB)?
Simply put, it's a searchable database with every single entity, segment, sound, decal or otherwise ever released on the FPSC Models and Media board.

The FPSC Developer Content Browser (v1.0)

Do I have to pay to use it?
No, but donations are accepted. It's getting tight, financially, and it's getting tough to keep the web host up every month. And if the web host goes down, the database goes with it...

How do I use it?
Say you need a desert themed segment. You'd simply type in desert into the search box and hit search. The first result is the first entry in the database with the word "desert" in it. Once you find one that you would like to know more about, double click it to bring up a window with a screenshot (On most items. Some do not contain screenshots) and a direct link to the download. You'll also be able to sort by creator, so if you wanted Bond1's arcade machine from Christmas of 2005, you'd sort by creator and scroll down to bond1's creations.

First Rendition of FPSCDCB(v0.1)

How many entries are there in the database?
We are currently working towards adding every single free release to the database. As of right now, we currently have about 150 entries. This will change with the newest version (v2.0), as users will be able to add their own entries to the database.

How do we know we have the most recent version?
On startup, the newest version (currently unreleased), will check the Molten Byte Design site for the database and read the entries from there. This makes it to where each time you open the program, you have the most recent entries. We will also send out updates through the Molten Byte Design Installer, which comes with the new update.

What's the big deal about the "new" version?
The free FPSC Developer Content Browser Software Update includes some great new features, as well as all the features from previous updates. The new version (2.0) is a complete overhaul of the first version. There's a new UI, new features, and it's cleaner. Some of the features: auto-update, add entries to database, a "More Info" window and much more. If you’ve never downloaded before, this would the perfect time.

When does the new version come out?
The new version will come out sometime next week, and will be posted here for you to download.

FPSC Developer Content Browser 2.0 is a complete departure from the previous incarnations of the FPSC Developer Content Browser. Built on GameXS technology, the FPSCDCB is scaleable to support many kinds of media, and introduces some key new features:

• The View Details Window
The new view details window allows users to get information and screenshots of an item at the touch of a button. No longer is there the need to copy and paste image links into a web browser to see an image. Available images (not hosted at the TGC Forum) are displayed right in the application!

• Media Database Automatic Updating
Previously, media in the database couldn’t be updated automatically, and any new media added to the database required the database to be redownloaded manually and placed into the FPSC Developer Content Browser’s folder, a tedious task. With the new version, the media is stored locally, but “synced” with the master database on MoltenByte Design’s website.

• User Added Media
With the 2.0 update, users can now add their own media through the web media panel. The media is synchronised with other FPSC Developer Content Browser users the next time they start the program.

• GameXS Technology at its Core
The 2.0 update introduces a radical redesign of the software, allowing fast migration to GameXS upon its release, and retains its media database during migration to GameXS.

The FPSC Developer Content Browser (v2.0)

One more thing: For any developers interested in doing anything with the media database, a SOAP service (in the C#/.NET style) is available at http://moltenbytedesign.com/FPSCDCBServices/MediaService.asmx. Currently there is only one method available for use, which gets all the media from the database, but in the future, there should be some more for adding media, etc.

Current Release:
1.0.0.0 -

Current Release: Download

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 02:16 Edited at: 21st Jun 2009 02:25
As I said on MSN, it looks really nice and will be really useful for finding free media with ease. It certainly has improved a lot since the first version you showed a screenshot of. Keep up the great work!

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 02:38
My oh my im suprised no one has commented on this. It looks amazing, finally no more endless searching just to see if anyone has even mentioned what you wanted. This should save a lot of time for plenty of people

[img][/img]

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 02:53
Thanks, Cyclone. I'm really looking forward to getting it completed. Just a couple steps away on the programming side, and then it's time to buckle down and start adding to the database like crazy...

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 02:58
Quite an undertaking. Thanks for taking the time.

Brian.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 03:02
Sure thing, X! I'm waiting for the final database to come in to see an entire page of just your stuff.

Added a new image in the first post with categories sorted by author.

-Keep in mind that this is my first project in C#, so bear with me...-

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 03:04
Nice lot of great features. Would be cool if you could intergrate downloads from FPS-Files V4 into it. Than this would truly have EVERY download lol.

[img][/img]

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
This is great! Most appreciated Gunn3r!

Thanks for taking all this time to do this for us, lemme know if there's something i can do to help

All the best

Yeah... got hurt when i tripped... on some bullets
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 03:26
@Cyclone - The reason why I'm not doing that is because I can say that every download from this is accessible from TGC, so licensing on my end isn't a problem, as it's just a way to find the links more efficiently, not another host. If TeMpLaR okays it, I'd love to incorporate those, as well as the files from FPS-Free, but I would need the permission of the owners of those sites, as this is based out of the TGC forum.

@Ekipshi, send me an email if you're interested in helping us add to the database. For the newer pages, it takes about an hour to do a whole page, but you get about 50-60 results out of it. For the older pages, you can breeze through 5 of them in about an hour but only come up with 20-30 results.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 03:40 Edited at: 21st Jun 2009 03:41
Gunn3r,

Some of the files on fpsFREE.com cannot be redistributed elsewhere without the creators written permission. I think it would be a can of worms to separate those from the ones which can be freely redistributed. Also, I would rather that people go to the website to get the files instead of downloading them directly. The site has a lot of content, news, and advertising that would be useless. You know what I'm talking about. If there is any content particular to fpsFREE.com that you feel is worth pointing to, feel free to point to the site home page.

Brian.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 03:46
I completely understand. That's why I only did TGC, as this is only a way to browse the files. I'm not hosting the files somewhere else, as that's against AUP. I'm just simply going through and putting a collection together of where everything's at.
And yeah, that really defeats the purpose of having advertisements and news and such on a third party website. If people WANT me to put their models in here from a third party website, then I will.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 04:38
-Double Post-

A new image appeared up there... Don't know what happened... Kind of a peculiar image, too.

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 05:06
awesome! im definetly downloading this when it gets released.

thanks

Your signature has been erased by a mod because combined with the text it's taller than 600x120
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 06:52
Good to hear that it's going to be something people look forward to. I am having a bit of trouble with the C#, though. Anyone know C#, and can lend a few minutes of help?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We need more help. The faster we get this done, the faster you get to use it."

If you still need help I lend a hand.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 07:34
We could use you, too, Hockeykid. I'll send an email with some instructions on where to begin.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We could use you, too, Hockeykid. I'll send an email with some instructions on where to begin."

K tell me when you send it.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for double post*

Received e-mail and replied.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 07:57
Everything is done, programming wise except one thing. I can't figure out how to open a new window off of the selected row on the ListView, displaying everything that was in the selected row...

The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 09:55
download link?

Download Failed...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 13:08
He said he'll upload it in a few weeks, patience...

This looks like it'll be pretty useful, in fact, almost essential. It's come a long way from the idea you had, I can't wait to have a proper look at it...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 15:58
Lalalalalala, waiting, lalalalala,
lalalalalala, still waiting.....
Ok,
I will wait.
~Aaron

Download Failed...
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 17:54
Gunn3r: Nice. This will help out a ton of folks. Keep em' coming my friend. Oh yeah, Are you still working on your music packs as well?

Sorry to get off track.

In the Universe, nothing ever stays the same.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 18:29
This is a great achievement, thanks to you and your team Gunn3r, this will make it a lot easier for people to find what they are looking for.

~Perhaps a button of some sort that switches between the list of models (like you have now) and a list of websites that people can get media from (like "fpsFree" or "The Game Makers Audio Center")~

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 19:15
@Cosmic Prophet, Not really. I have the cinematic pack just about done, so I'll send that over when it's done, but aside from that, I'm focusing mainly on the Molten Byte Design website, this, eternal and a couple other projects we're working on.

@Nickydude, thanks! And the button idea is a great idea. I'll add it in.

I'm currently redoing the look of the browser and in turn, it's making it work a little easier...

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 23:19
Updated the first two screenshots with the current GUI. I made the search feature much better with this GUI upgrade. Soon, I should have the new window with the download info.

gladius
Years of Service
User Offline
Great idea,good work!
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 03:01 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 03:15
Thanks! The programming is DONE!

Now it's off to add everything to the database. We're still accepting volunteers, so if you want this process to be sped up, help out!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 03:37 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 03:39
Are the download links clickable? and can you sort the columns (like alphabetize the 'Title' column so all the 'A's are first)?

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 04:23
There is an area at the bottom of the window (not in above screenshots) with the info as well as clickable links. You can sort the columns. I've got about 10 pages left of my portion of the database additions (each person gets 25 pages, since there are 4 of us), and I'm thinking about finishing those 10 pages and releasing what I have. As the others finish up their pages, I can send out an updated version of the database.

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 04:34
Finally this is almost realeased Loooking forward to using it.

[img][/img]

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 04:53
I can't wait!

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 05:17
I have 6 pages left to do, and I'm at 121 entries. I think that's a reasonable amount for a beta, don't you think? The entire program is still running really smooth, and the search functions really well. I'm very pleased with how this turned out.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 09:59
Attached in the first post is the download of the beta version. This version only has my database, and some known bugs. I already have plans to overhaul the program for stability and features to be added in down the road (you submit your model data and it's added into the database).
I specifically posted this post at 12:00AM for a certain reason. Just like the release of any console or other big item, it's being released at midnight. I personally view this as a pretty big item for FPSC, as it'll help out regular users and modelers alike. Modelers won't have to create 40 versions of the same sign pack (trust me... there are PLENTY sign packs).

If you find any problems with this release, please let me know so that I can make the proper adjustments.
Note: This is NOT the final database. I will be adding the additions from Dark Peanut, hockeykid and Ekipshi.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Which file do we run?

The Aaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 11:00
What would be nice in the future would be an update button where the program will check a server for more items for the list, as new things are added. I know that this would be semi-difficult to do but it would add that extra level of professionalism to it.
~Aaron

Download Failed...
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 11:58 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 12:00
Bug Report:

► Multiple preview windows open when viewing screen shots, whether there's a screenshot available or not.
► Sometime the name of the author obscures the words "Screenshot (If Available)" at the bottom if the authors name is long.
► The Media Info window disappears if Media Browser is maximised.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Bug Report:

► Multiple preview windows open when viewing screen shots, whether there's a screenshot available or not.
► Sometime the name of the author obscures the words "Screenshot (If Available)" at the bottom if the authors name is long.
► The Media Info window disappears if Media Browser is maximised.
"

I can't even run the program

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 13:55
Bug Report:

Attempting to view a screenshot when not logged in to the forum produces a new window informing that "You must be logged in to our forum to view the screenshot"

That isn't a bug itself (although it should be! Forcing people to join your forum in order to use a free product is wrong. Just because TGC do it, doesn't make it right!), the bug is that there is no way to close that window or even log in whilst keeping it open. I had no choice but open task manager and force close the program.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 17:42 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 18:18
@Scraggle... Well, I can't really change that... It's something that's coded into TGC's download and screenshot link pages, and I can't do anything about it.
@Nickydude, thanks for the bug report. I knew about the preview window when it doesn't have a screenshot. Thanks for the new info.
@hockeykid, run the one called "FPSC FreeMediaBrowser.exe"
@The Aaron, Like I mentioned up above, I'm going to overhaul it and that's one of the features that's going in. That, as well as the ability to submit entries into the database so that it's not left up to me to get an update out.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 18:56
Quote: "Forcing people to join your forum in order to use a free product is wrong."

You need to be logged into the TGC forum, not Gunn3rs. This is the only way to download and preview as you need to be logged in same as any other forum.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 21:14 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 21:15
When I run it I get this error.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 21:32
Do you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed? I should have mentioned that it's required to run. Download .NET 3.5 Framework HERE

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 21:47 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 21:48
Quote: "Do you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed? I should have mentioned that it's required to run. Download .NET 3.5 Framework HERE"

Nope, forgot new computer

Getting it now.

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:01
Absolutely awesome man... Just downloaded the program, and it looks like I may be doubling my FPSC media library pretty soon.

A quick suggestion, updating the database when the program starts. You could simply re download the access file, or for a more complicated way check whether it is the most up to date version first.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:08 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 22:13
I've got a better idea in mind. It'll be a completely different GUI and everything by time I'm done with it. It'll update the database easily, and allow you to add stuff to the database, so that others can see it too.

For those who have downloaded it, what's your opinion of it? Do you like how it works? (Aside from the bugs)
Is it a tool you'll refer to often? Never?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:23 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 22:24
I, for one, will be using it constantly as it's an easy source for the odd thing here and there that I need.

You can add The Game Makers Audio Center if you wish.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:39
Added.

NEW RELEASE
Includes The Game Makers Audio Center as well as a fix for the FPS-Files link. It's in the first post. Delete the old files and replace with these.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:48
Download link leads to your unfinished site.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:57
Fixed. What's interesting about my site is that there are no 404 errors. It just shows a really messed up version of the homepage...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:28:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:28:53