Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Galaxy Pong

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 10:19 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 02:15
Quick pong game, worked on it for about 2 days, decent AI, nothing ground breaking, but has cool effects

What it has:
3D effects!
Music!
Sound Effects!
AI!

It's my first RELEASED game, so please be critical

Download Attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 22:42
Pretty cool, i had fun playing against myself

about the game, one thing it really needs is AI. try putting it in, cause playing against myself is really weird. and the collision could be better also, cause sometimes i hitted the little box right on the top right corner of the left paddle and the box bounced to the left causing me to lose one point! but overall pretty fun, i'll play it with my friend later

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 22:58
i'll work on AI soon. The collision is just the dark basic native collision so it's not great, i'm going to remake this game using a better 2d collision engine, probably will add some cooler stuff too.

Ill post the new version as soon as i figure out some decent AI.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 00:06 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 02:11
Here is a new version with AI enjoy Download from original post

Edit: Uploaded the wrong .exe in the zip now it should work properly

bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 10:46
This version is awesome, the AI is perfect! it would also be cool if you had a menu, with some buttons: best of 5 against ai or best of 5 against someone else. and something else: when you activate the AI, you should also deactivate controls with the arrow keys, otherwise the ai won't work good.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:32
thanks, i think that in the next "port" of this game ill do that, its going to be like pong, but theres a timer and when the timer goes off the pong ball (which is a grenade) explodes, and whoever's half its on loses.

so far, this release is final, its a quick little fun game you can pick up and play, if i find some major bugs i'll re-release it, but until then, its my pong engine.

bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:09
pretty cool, i look forward to that game!

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 19:07 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 19:08
Quote: "its going to be like pong, but theres a timer and when the timer goes off the pong ball (which is a grenade) explodes, and whoever's half its on loses. "

How would the player defend against that, given no control of the ball? (I suppose you could add the ability to fire tiny shots at it to knock it back...)

Played it, and as far as Pong goes it's quite fun. Background's definitely a nice little diversion, and the way the ball (square?) sticks into the screen side at an angle and makes the thud sound has a good feeling of impact. So... yes. Very good.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 06:47
thank you guys, but in the game im calling Russian Hot Potato, you can move in 2 dimensions on 1/4th of the screen. Also the timer is a bit random, im also thinking of adding things like "stuns" where it stuns the player and grenade for a few seconds. (btw im using a "holy hand grenade" for the grenade )

but look for my WIP post soon, because i have the basic concept for it down and working, just need to add 2 dimensions and rework my code to use functions in a separate DBA file to allow a "engine" i can use in any squeals.

AcP2142
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 09:56
This is a nice little game you have here. It might be a little to featureless for me but it seems it was just kind of created for a Pong engine. It was really quite good though. Also, have you created the WIP thread for Russian Hot Potato yet? I searched for it but nothing came up so I was wondering. That should be a really cool game. Good luck on it.

The only thing constant in life is CHANGE.
wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 10:51
Thanks, no i havent made the WIP thread yet, as of now im alternating each week or so. Now im working on my FPS, soon ill be working on russian hot potato.

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 09:18
Its so awesome how you can put out something like this in 5 hours. It were me it would take about 5 weeks. I think one of the top qualities about galaxy pong is its mesmerising feel. I have played a game with this kind of shooting through space theme a looong time ago on my mac, but i cant remember the name =(. Its like a 2D-but-3D shooter line thing. (if i remember it, ill mention it) I found that as i played galaxy pong, my eyes kept getting drawn to the middle, because it seemed like we were shooting through space. I think stuff you can include that would really complement this is more sound effects emphasising that you are flying really fast through space, and a starting and ending animation where the particles speed up and slow down. Also, if you really wanted to go with the space theme, you could include asteroids flying towards you that you have to avoid, etc.

Good luck,
Aralox

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 19:12
Thanks I'll think about your suggestions, but i cant find where i put all my source code so i may have to rewrite it, maybe i'll rewrite it to be better

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:57:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:57:59