Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Harry Potter Online Text Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 22:14 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 06:41
Hey,

I have debated whether or not to post this here for several reasons, but decided I might as well. I don't expect it to be popularly received, considering what it is-a Harry Potter (eliminating 90% of the forum who sees it as childish) text adventure (eliminating 90% of the people who like Harry Potter but will say "but wher r da grafix? i dont lyk 2 reed"), but for all 2 of you who like Harry Potter AND text games, this is for you .

So, what is it? The Harry Potter nerd version:

Non-Harry Potter nerd version:

I started this because another Harry Potter MUD (online text game) that has been in development for 5 years has frustrated me because they basically get nowhere, so in a month I have accomplished about as much as they have in 5 years. Here are the FAQ's for that game, which are basically the same as mine (at least, the gameplay FAQs):
http://lumos.mugglenet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6422

So, why text? Three reasons, 1) I'm less likely to get in trouble for copyright violation (never heard of a free, fan-made text game getting into trouble for it), because EA owns the rights to the 3D games, I won't be taking profit away (it's free and open-source) from them if it is only text. 2) It would be much more difficult to do what I want if it was 3D. 3) Like books, a text game leaves more to the imagination of the reader.

There is also a singleplayer option in game, but it'd be nice if you could try multiplayer, because I think player to player interaction is the best part of it.

Now for the interesting stuff, screenshot, video, and demo.
Here is a screenshot of what the game looks like at the moment:

Here is a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzmXGHO8Nk

And here is the demo, but first, the readme since no one seems to read them:
Quote: "INSTALLATION AND SETUP:
1) Install Hamachi using the Setup Hamachi.exe in the HP Online folder.

2) Start Hamachi and click the triangle in the bottom right, then Join an Existing Network. Connect to "HP Online", password: alohomora. You should now be connected and see the name "BASE" in the list.

3) Run HP Online Client.exe.

4) Type in the IP address listed next to "BASE" on Hamachi.

5) If you fail to connect, the server might not be up, or you may need to add HP Online Client.exe to your firewall allowed programs. Windows Firewall is a common cause of the problem, just go to control panel, windows firewall, and add the HP Online Client.exe to the list of program exceptions and try again.

6) Type "tutorial start" and hit enter in game to get started."

And here is the demo (includes source, server.exe and client.exe):

Update v0.26 (07/06/2009)
Release Notes:

Download:
http://download156.mediafire.com/4jivb52btedg/zwgm2d22lzj/HP+Online+v0.26.rar

I'm not only posting this to generate interest in the game. My main purpose is actually requesting help with it. Because of it's massive size, I'll need help writing rooms, objects, books, potions, spells, and testing. All you need to help is the ability to type, but if you'd like to code as well, that'd be good.

Anyways, hopefully at least one or two of you will try it. I'll leave the server up and running on my computer for most of the day today, and I'll be off and on as a character in game. Please let me know what you think, if you can help, and any problems you come across.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 22:21
This looks good, I think I'll try it out sometime . Admittedly I am a bit of a Harry Potter fan.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 22:25
Cool, thanks . The server is up now, so try whenever you like. It should only take 3-4 minutes time from clicking download to getting in game and playing.

Darkowen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 22:43 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 23:47
Just Downloaded this and played it Online, It is Really good, very Detailed in terms of how you use your wand and cast spells, Descriptions of places and objects. Though its an early stage build there was quite alot to do! and i am looking forward to the next update

Download the beta at http://www.evilpigeon.co.uk
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 23:46
Thanks for trying it out with me DarkOwen, so far, so good, stability and bug-wise .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 00:18 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 02:45
Impressive base without doubt, enjoyed my short online journey, will be interesting to see how you work it out.

No, I will not give you back your cauldron and wands.

Second go was even more fun, had fun casting spells and becoming a real Voldemort-in-training. It needs limits, but its fun!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 08:41 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 08:59
Quote: "Second go was even more fun, had fun casting spells and becoming a real Voldemort-in-training. It needs limits, but its fun!"

Haha, yes, you learned rather quickly .

First update: (to the two of you who tried it out )
http://www.mediafire.com/?djlczduhymt

Release Notes:

I'll replace the first post with the updated link. Hopefully more people will try it out tomorrow-it should only take between 2-3 minutes from download to connection, so don't let the <2.5MB download put you off . I'll leave the server up and running overnight on my PC. You can also connect to yourself if you want to set up your own server and use your own IP address, but, if you do, it'd be nice to know that you tried it and what you thought.

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 09:51
Wow this is very cool. A lot different to what we see on these forums so good on you for doing that.

WizMod Developer.
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks very impressive. I've always thought that text-based MUD games are probably a lot harder to program than they might seem at first glance. It looks like you've got a good design going here.

Over a thousand rooms? That is a MMUD.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 01:26
Really awesome! I had fun playing with you ^^, sorry I had to leave so abruptly.

I am excited for new spells and developments

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 02:27
One kind of MUD I'd like to see is one based around The Matrix with hacking minigames, etc. Kinda like Fallout's hacking minigames so it is still technically a text game. I've got to ask; is anyone else here interested in such a thing? I might take it on if there is interest.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 03:05 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 03:14
Quote: "Wow this is very cool. A lot different to what we see on these forums so good on you for doing that."

Thanks .

Quote: "This looks very impressive. I've always thought that text-based MUD games are probably a lot harder to program than they might seem at first glance. It looks like you've got a good design going here.

Over a thousand rooms? That is a MMUD. "

Thanks, yeah, it isn't easy, but much easier than 3D. Hehe, yeah, it will be pretty huge. I already have around 300 rooms.

Quote: "Really awesome! I had fun playing with you ^^, sorry I had to leave so abruptly.

I am excited for new spells and developments
"

Yup, thanks for trying it out! I see you reconnected, sorry, I was afk. I try to leave the server up and running, but I get off and on throughout the day. Try again and I should be on for most of the evening (if I'm not, just give me a few minutes to see it) .

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Had a go at it. It wouldn't let me do a multiplayer game - said the connection timed out, which didn't make a whole lot of sense. Still, the game itself seemed to work fine.

The magic system seems to work very well. It took a few tries to master but soon I could shatter things, light my wand (not that it seemed to illuminate dark areas), and unlock the door. When you've got multiple players and this magic system up and running it's going to be a lot of fun.

Obviously there's not much to the world right now - in fact as far as I could tell only two locations have descriptions at all.

I found the text very hard to read. I suppose this is due to the high contrast and also the rather unforgiving font. Could it be put into a "modern" font such as Times New Roman or something? I think that would help enormously. Imagine a game like this where the text is as readable as (say) this very forum. White courier text on a black background is very demanding. It's also difficult to read multiple lines of information that are going up rather than down in the message box. I think that when displaying long messages of this kind, it would be better to display all the new lines at once, reading from top to bottom in the normal way (as is normal in chat-type panes, like in WoW).

Also, the parser is going to need work. As it stands it won't recognise articles, won't recognise synonyms (annoyingly understands "get" but not "take"), won't let you perform actions on multiple objects at once, etc. But I'm sure this can be refined.

All in all, looks promising!
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
this is great! i think there needs to be more text adventure games.

playing games =
learning =
playing games and learning without knowing that you're learning but you are because of the reading wich helps with spelling and also typing =

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 20:21 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 20:50
Quote: "Had a go at it. It wouldn't let me do a multiplayer game - said the connection timed out, which didn't make a whole lot of sense. Still, the game itself seemed to work fine.
"

Hmm...either I didn't have the server up and running (I've had it running straight for about 14 hours now though) or your firewall blocked access, would be my guesses. Did you manage to connect on Hamachi? And did you add the client.exe to a list of exceptions for windows firewall?

Quote: "The magic system seems to work very well. It took a few tries to master but soon I could shatter things, light my wand (not that it seemed to illuminate dark areas), and unlock the door. When you've got multiple players and this magic system up and running it's going to be a lot of fun."

Thanks, glad it's easy to learn. Lighting your wand does light rooms that are dark (or should, unless it's bugged, which it wasn't last time I checked). Try going to the closet southwest of the starting room, it should be dark unless you use your wand to illuminate the area.

Quote: "
Obviously there's not much to the world right now - in fact as far as I could tell only two locations have descriptions at all."

Yeah, there's only 3 rooms with descriptions, but there's about 250-300 that are built and connected so far. That's one of the main reasons I started this thread, so I could try and get help with writing all of the descriptions and other content for the world .

Quote: "I found the text very hard to read. I suppose this is due to the high contrast and also the rather unforgiving font. Could it be put into a "modern" font such as Times New Roman or something? I think that would help enormously. Imagine a game like this where the text is as readable as (say) this very forum. White courier text on a black background is very demanding. It's also difficult to read multiple lines of information that are going up rather than down in the message box. I think that when displaying long messages of this kind, it would be better to display all the new lines at once, reading from top to bottom in the normal way (as is normal in chat-type panes, like in WoW)."

Hmmm...I guess it would be fairly easy to include options to change text color and font, so I'll try and add that next update . I see what you mean about the text going down, I've thought about that myself. I'll probably make an option for it to read up or down.

Quote: "Also, the parser is going to need work. As it stands it won't recognise articles, won't recognise synonyms (annoyingly understands "get" but not "take"), won't let you perform actions on multiple objects at once, etc. But I'm sure this can be refined."

Yeah, synonyms will be easy to add, and there already are some ("pick up" rather than "get", I'll add "grab" and "take" next update). Articles that are in the description of an object should work. For example, the object "a holly wand" would work if you typed any of the following: a holly wand, holly wand, holly, wand.

Quote: "All in all, looks promising!"

Thanks .

@mike: Thanks, yeah, I agree there should be more text adventures .

I'm leaving the server up and running today (and left it overnight), but I will not actually be on (my name will be Gil (AFK)) because I have to work. I saw that at least two people (JDMino and Landion) connected and tried it overnight, thanks! If you do try it, please leave a comment on what you think on here, or any suggestions. Plotinus' post was very helpful.

@opposing force: I saw you tried to connect, but instantly disconnected. Was this on purpose or was there a problem? If it was a problem, what happened?

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 22:14
Hamachi creates a tunneled LAN over the internet, doesn't it? Isn't this a huge security risk?

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 22:20 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 22:26
Sorted out the connection problem. It wasn't really a problem at all - it was me entering my own IP address instead of the one listed by "base". I'll try to be less stupid in future.

Playing it properly connected, I found that "lumos" now did illuminate dark areas. I don't think I was doing anything wrong when I tried it before - re-attempting the spell just resulted in the message "Your wand is already illuminated", so it certainly was illuminated - so this may be a problem connected to playing offline.

Two other minor problems: I could examine the broom, but when I tried to take it, it told me that it wasn't there. And when I tried to stupefy Gil, it told me I need to specify a person. Some kind of high-level anti-magic shield, perhaps...? Either that or Gil is somehow not recognised as an entity, since I can't examine him either.

Also you'll need to have some kind of wrapping function for the update text, since lines that are too long for the screen go currently go right off it. Try destroying one of the hourglasses and then examining it for an example.

Is it possible for some commands to open a new window with the text inside? For example, it would be useful, and much more readable, if "help spell list" were to do this - then it would be right there, in the same place, whenever you wanted to consult it.

Oh, and one other thing that I forgot - using "them" to refer to a specified individual in a gender-neutral way, as in the screenshot in the OP, reads very clumsily. It would be much better to tweak it so that it says "him" or "her" according to the gender of the target. It might not normally matter too much, but I think in a game that consists solely of text, you want that text to read as smoothly as possible!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 23:18
@Gil
I have an idea to help you expand the game You could give players a privilege level, and let privileged players edit the game world as they play. (IE. players who are slightly privileged would have the ability to change the descriptions of objects, higher privileged players would be able to create new objects, and modify the properties of existing objects, and the highest privileged players would be able to add whole new rooms and edit their properties.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 23:19
Welcome to HP Online; the world's first Wiki MUD!

Actually, if the game engine could be linked to a Wiki, that would be seriously nice.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 01:39
Quote: "Hamachi creates a tunneled LAN over the internet, doesn't it? Isn't this a huge security risk?"

I've thought about that and have been a bit worried about it, but I honestly don't know what security risks are involved (I'm not very knowledgeable in things like that), or if Hamachi has some kind of in-built protection. I don't plan on using Hamachi permanatently, but I have no idea how to set up a server (nor do I want to spend the money) and direct IP connection to me was not working when I tested it). If someone wants to explain all of this to me, please do. For example, what exactly is a server that you rent? I know what the idea of a server is (I programmed the one for HP Online, after all), but when you rent a server, do you just choose an .exe to run on it? Also, how much do they cost? And are there any free ones? What other connection methods are there that would be more secure? And what are the security risks involved with Hamachi?

Quote: "Playing it properly connected, I found that "lumos" now did illuminate dark areas. I don't think I was doing anything wrong when I tried it before - re-attempting the spell just resulted in the message "Your wand is already illuminated", so it certainly was illuminated - so this may be a problem connected to playing offline."

Ok, I'll have to look into that, thanks.

Quote: "Two other minor problems: I could examine the broom, but when I tried to take it, it told me that it wasn't there. And when I tried to stupefy Gil, it told me I need to specify a person. Some kind of high-level anti-magic shield, perhaps...? Either that or Gil is somehow not recognised as an entity, since I can't examine him either."

Yeah, it says that an object is not there if it not "pick-up-able", which the broom is not yet, because there is no use for it for now. I'll add in a more specific message if it does exist but you can't pick it up in the next update. As for trying to stupefy me, it's because my name in-game all day has been "Gil (AFK)", not just "Gil", there is no afk command (also coming next update) yet, so I just included it in my name.

Quote: "Also you'll need to have some kind of wrapping function for the update text, since lines that are too long for the screen go currently go right off it. Try destroying one of the hourglasses and then examining it for an example."

Yup, I've been putting that off for a while, also planned for the next update.

Quote: "Is it possible for some commands to open a new window with the text inside? For example, it would be useful, and much more readable, if "help spell list" were to do this - then it would be right there, in the same place, whenever you wanted to consult it."

Hmm...interesting idea, I'll look into it, probably won't be included in the next update though.

Quote: "Oh, and one other thing that I forgot - using "them" to refer to a specified individual in a gender-neutral way, as in the screenshot in the OP, reads very clumsily. It would be much better to tweak it so that it says "him" or "her" according to the gender of the target. It might not normally matter too much, but I think in a game that consists solely of text, you want that text to read as smoothly as possible!"

Yeah, I know it should be him or her, depending on the gender, but there is no "gender" choice yet. When there is though, I will change it to "him" or "her" .

Quote: "@Gil
I have an idea to help you expand the game You could give players a privilege level, and let privileged players edit the game world as they play. (IE. players who are slightly privileged would have the ability to change the descriptions of objects, higher privileged players would be able to create new objects, and modify the properties of existing objects, and the highest privileged players would be able to add whole new rooms and edit their properties."

Hmm...interesting idea, but I'm not sure anyone would be interested. I'm also very picky about it being as close to the books as possible, so I'd like it to be more of an organized effort.

Quote: "Welcome to HP Online; the world's first Wiki MUD!

Actually, if the game engine could be linked to a Wiki, that would be seriously nice."

Hehe, that is a cool idea, but might be dangerous, even with the privileged players idea.

Here is a list of planned features for the next update (hopefully out by Thursday, subject to change, suggestions welcome):

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 01:47
Quote: "I've thought about that and have been a bit worried about it, but I honestly don't know what security risks are involved (I'm not very knowledgeable in things like that), or if Hamachi has some kind of in-built protection. I don't plan on using Hamachi permanatently, but I have no idea how to set up a server (nor do I want to spend the money) and direct IP connection to me was not working when I tested it). If someone wants to explain all of this to me, please do. For example, what exactly is a server that you rent? I know what the idea of a server is (I programmed the one for HP Online, after all), but when you rent a server, do you just choose an .exe to run on it? Also, how much do they cost? And are there any free ones? What other connection methods are there that would be more secure? And what are the security risks involved with Hamachi?"

You are probably behind a router that is discarding packets aimed at your server. All you have to do is setup port forwarding and people will be able to access your server using your external IP. If you don't know how to setup port forwarding you should google the name of your router, there will probably be a decent guide around.

When you rent a server, you basically rent a computer which runs your exe. It depends on what your requirements are, but you can probably get one for between 5 and 30 pounds a month.

Did you use a plugin for the networking, if so which one? (just out of interest)

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 01:50 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 14:19
Look into dynamic DNS. Some routers can do it, others will need software installed on your PC. In any case, these systems provide you with a web address that can be easily accessed pointing to your external IP and updated automatically by the router or PC. Then, using port forwarding, you can direct inbound traffic on your game's port to a specific internal IP. I've got one set up and currently linked to an empty web server for experimentation. It might be up or down at any time because it's only active when I am.

http://mytricks.game-host.org:591 <--- New, added different port.

If you want some help in setting this sort of thing up, ask.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 03:27 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 03:38
Quote: "All you have to do is setup port forwarding and people will be able to access your server using your external IP. If you don't know how to setup port forwarding you should google the name of your router, there will probably be a decent guide around."

Is there any danger to my computer or network if people directly connect to my IP address though?

Quote: "When you rent a server, you basically rent a computer which runs your exe. It depends on what your requirements are, but you can probably get one for between 5 and 30 pounds a month."

Ok, I figured that was what it did, but I wasn't sure as I've never used one before. Right now I don't have any form of payment (no paypal), so I'll have to hold off on the server until I can get a way to pay and/or find someone who would be willing to let me use theirs/pay for one, or find a free one (if they exist).

Quote: "Did you use a plugin for the networking, if so which one? (just out of interest)"

Yup, I use Multisync by Benjamin.

Quote: "Look into dynamic DNS. Some routers can do it, others will need software installed on your PC. In any case, these systems provide you with a web address that can be easily accessed pointing to your external IP and updated automatically by the router or PC. Then, using port forwarding, you can direct inbound traffic on your game's port to a specific internal IP. I've got one set up and currently linked to an empty web server for experimentation.
"

Interesting, I'll look into it, I'll probably need help if I do decide to do it though, so thanks for the offer .

I've decided on releasing a hot fix tonight or tomorrow before the update later this week, that will fix some more important or easier things:
Quote: "-Fixes move times between rooms
-Emotes added: wink, beg, giggle (because they are so easy to add)
-Disallow multiple people to connect from same IP
-Ability of server to send a message to all clients
-Change font option
-New documentation
-Remove debug text at the bottom I forgot to take out
-Auto-patch system that automatically sends latest version if you need to update to prevent having to re-download every time. This one is important but iffy, because if I transfer from the server, the server cannot do anything else (like send info back and forth with other clients) while transferring the file. If I try to create a separate server.exe to send, it closes immediately with a windows not responding error, so it seems I can't run two servers at once. The only thing I can think of to do right now is just freeze up the server while someone downloads, because so far, there isn't enough traffic that it'd be a problem, but I need a solution to this in the near future, so please tell me if you have one. On this hotfix I might just automatically send the player to the download link to at least save them that inconvenience.
"

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 06:33 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 06:43
Double posting so no one misses this:

Update v0.26 (quick fix, full update later this week)
Release Notes:

Download:
http://download156.mediafire.com/4jivb52btedg/zwgm2d22lzj/HP+Online+v0.26.rar

This is the last time you'll have to come sift through this thread to download the latest version, it will now redirect you automatically to download the latest version if your client is not running the same version as the server.

Once again, I'll leave the server up and running all night and day tomorrow, I'll be on, but AFK since I work all day, so feel free to use me as your guinea pig. I don't work Wednesday, so I'll be free to work on the larger update then, as well as be in the game when and if people try it out.

I am still looking for help (mostly with world content, but all testing is good too). Thanks to everyone who has tried it so far, and especially those who have tried it and posted here (especially Plotinus, excellent post-constructively critical, helpfully suggestive, organized, and good grammar, thanks for that). I listen and respond to all advice and suggestions. If you take a wand while playing around, please drop it before leaving so someone else can use it, as there is a limited supply until I restart the server.

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 11:23
Quote: "Is there any danger to my computer or network if people directly connect to my IP address though?"

It is relatively safe to have one port open. If you are really worried about security then you could buy a firewall.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 12:43 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 14:08
There's one built into Windows from SP2 onwards and most routers. Don't bother buying one, it's pointless.

As long as you only forward one port and that port isn't used by anything else (check here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers, though this probably isn't a complete list...) it should not be a problem as only your program will be exposed to the internet. With Hamachi, all ports were exposed to all other players because you were technically on a LAN together. Meaning Windows file sharing works, malware can spread quickly and easily...

EDIT: I forwarded port 80 and it locked me out of the router settings because any attempt to access port 80 redirected from the router back to my desktop...

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
You've included the dbpro and dba files..... just so you know (someone may steal it..... or somthing?)

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 01:33
Quote: "It is relatively safe to have one port open. If you are really worried about security then you could buy a firewall."

Oh, ok, thanks.

Quote: "As long as you only forward one port and that port isn't used by anything else (check here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers, though this probably isn't a complete list...) it should not be a problem as only your program will be exposed to the internet. With Hamachi, all ports were exposed to all other players because you were technically on a LAN together. Meaning Windows file sharing works, malware can spread quickly and easily..."

Ahh, ok. I'll look into port forwarding soon. And when you say you tried port 80 and it locked you out, are you saying it would probably do the same thing for me, so don't try port 80?

Quote: "You've included the dbpro and dba files..... just so you know (someone may steal it..... or somthing?)"

I meant to, I was hoping it would help people become more interested in helping, and since it's free, I could care less if people have the source. To quote my original post:

Quote: "I won't be taking profit away (it's free and open-source)"

Quote: "And here is the demo (includes source, server.exe and client.exe):"

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 01:46
Quote: "And when you say you tried port 80 and it locked you out, are you saying it would probably do the same thing for me, so don't try port 80?"

Yeah, pretty much. Port 80 is the HTTP server port. As the router's configuration is done through HTTP, that's probably why.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 04:20 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 06:38
Quote: "Yeah, pretty much. Port 80 is the HTTP server port. As the router's configuration is done through HTTP, that's probably why."

Ahh, ok.

I'm considering not updating for a while now since the demo has served it's purpose. I released the demo for several reasons:
1) Generate interest in the project
2) Show I had enough to be requesting help with it
3) See what people thought of it so far and get suggestions
4) Find bugs and test how well the server handled multiple people

And now it seems all but #2 have been accomplished (though, I didn't expect to find help here, I was counting on a Harry Potter forum for that). There are only 2 or 3 people a day getting on at sporadic times, so I don't think anyone will really care if I stop updating the demo . If there are several people who want me to keep it up, then I will, but if not, I'll just continue development (and post some progress reports) without preparing updates, until I'm ready for a public beta release of the full game rather than just a sort of "tech demo" as this has been.

So thanks to all who tried the demo out and gave feedback! You can still start your own servers with the HP Server.exe included in the download if you really have someone you want to play with, they will just have to connect to you (obviously) rather than me.

If for some reason there are several people who don't want me to stop updating yet (which I doubt there are, which is fine), post here saying so and I will keep the server running and release at least one more update (the one I had planned for before deciding on this).

Anyone interested in helping me with private testing or the game itself please post here and I'll keep in contact with you through IM so we can coordinate more efficiently.

EDIT: I'll leave the server up and running today and tomorrow, and then stop keeping it running consistently. Sorry to all those I missed who have logged on and tried it, I hate missing people because it feels like a failed opportunity to get someone interested in the game by explaining it to them and showing them what it can do, but I can't be in-game at all times .

Also, if you try to connect to the server with v0.25 client, it will just stop after receiving the objects.txt file, so you'll have to download v0.26. From this update on it should tell you if you have the wrong version.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 01:00
@Nex
Normally port forwarding only affects connections coming from outside, so accessing the router settings from a LAN computer would not be affected (I have port 80 forwarded for my web server, and can still access the router settings). You must have a strange router

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 03:13 Edited at: 9th Jul 2009 03:17
Quote: "Normally port forwarding only affects connections coming from outside, so accessing the router settings from a LAN computer would not be affected"

Not here it doesn't. I tried it again, it did it again; even computers directly linked to one of the four LAN ports were redirected to my desktop when accessing port 80. What can I say, it's a crap router. (Huawei EchoLife HG520s) Signal dives often for no good reason and it needs a power cycle once every few days.

The only way I can get into the settings when port 80 is forwarded is to do a factory reset.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 10:21
I love playing this, it's a lot of fun and reminds me of the good old days of text adventures. Haven't gotten the multiplayer to work as of yet, but only tried once and I don't think I did it right, or I had an old version.

I think you could get away with a little bit of graphics. I personally think it would be cool to have a parchment as the background with ink writing for the font. You could essentially have different colors with this as well, and you could have the letters fade in like they do in the movies.

Though that may be too much work.

I haven't looked at the source, so I'm curious as to how each room is set up. Whether it is hard coded or do you use another system.

Drop me an email, I might be able to help. Me and my wife are huge Harry Potter fans, so something like this would be a lot of fun to do.

Also, I hope your basing the content off the book instead of the movies, as their is considerably more interesting aspects of the world mentioned in the book then the movies depict.

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Good luck with updating it and we'll look forward to the beta. It's a really interesting project.

I had a look through the forum of the "original" Harry Potter MUD site that you linked to. A lot of tumbleweed there. It's a shame when projects like that just grind to a halt, but it seems to be almost inevitable with large and complex projects that have lots of people working on them. It's almost impossible to complete something like that by committee. It reminds me of a line from one of the Dragonlance rules book for D&D (I know this is unbearably geeky, but still). It was on the rules for calculating how long it takes a gnome to construct a device, and said something like: "Having more gnomes working on the project does not reduce the development time. If you have ever worked with gnomes you will know why."
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 14:56
Quote: ""Having more gnomes working on the project does not reduce the development time. If you have ever worked with gnomes you will know why.""

Haha, sad but true.

Just let me get my gnome-club...

I had a go at the MUD last night as well; Gil got most of my comments but I'll reiterate them here. Overall I was very impressed: it felt very immersive and satisfying because the world was easily affected by what you do (eg. destroy then repair a suit of armour). The spell casting mechanics are also excellent!

Shoot, I just realised I forgot to drop my wand before I left last night... sorry, I'm trying to log back in now so I can put it back.

Hmm, don't seem to have it anymore - still, there are 3 wands in the area so I guess it's okay.

I don't mind the fonts at all - they give it a nice retro feel. But since other people aren't so keen on it, it would make sense to give people viewing options.

Also, it might be a good idea to add some sound effects to act as quick alerts or signals to the player. Kind of like msn: you could play a sound for when someone logs in or logs out, and for when someone says something to you; that way you could leave the MUD running in the background if you're waiting for someone, without having to check the console every five minutes or so. You could also have a sound effect for when the flow of your wand movements is broken, so the player knows it's happened as soon as it occurs. It might help the flow if people are, for example, duelling.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 17:19
Most of what I'm missing till now is an acceptable combat system. For now, it's who casts what faster, but there's no way to counter or dodge anything at all. Now, there is not supposed to be a lot of time but still - some would be good.

Gil, I might have accidently left you knocked out. My apologies for that.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 20:50
Quote: "I love playing this, it's a lot of fun and reminds me of the good old days of text adventures. Haven't gotten the multiplayer to work as of yet, but only tried once and I don't think I did it right, or I had an old version.
"

Thanks . Hmm...what error did you have trying to connect? Did you manage to connect to Hamachi? Also, check your firewall to make sure the .exe is allowed access and make sure you have the latest game version (v0.26, other versions will connect but it will just freeze after loading rooms).

Quote: "I think you could get away with a little bit of graphics. I personally think it would be cool to have a parchment as the background with ink writing for the font. You could essentially have different colors with this as well, and you could have the letters fade in like they do in the movies."

Yeah, I might add an option for that, but first I'd rather get the core gameplay elements down before concentrating on the visuals .

Quote: "I haven't looked at the source, so I'm curious as to how each room is set up. Whether it is hard coded or do you use another system."

The rooms are scripted, you can find the file in files/rooms.txt. In the code (under the subroutine "getRooms") I am loading and reading that script. Here is the script for the first room:

Fairly straight forward, the first numbers is the room number, the second is if it is lit all the time (indoor rooms with continuous lights), never lit (dark rooms like closets), or lit during the day (usually exterior rooms or rooms next to windows). Third is the short description of the room which will appear when someone looks into it from an adjacent room. The next 10 lines give info about the adjacent rooms in the format:

Quote: "Drop me an email, I might be able to help. Me and my wife are huge Harry Potter fans, so something like this would be a lot of fun to do.

Also, I hope your basing the content off the book instead of the movies, as their is considerably more interesting aspects of the world mentioned in the book then the movies depict."

Awesome, will do after work today (you can also add me on MSN or AIM at gamedev06 at hotmail dot com or gamedev06 at aol dot com) I'd be glad to have help . And yes, definitely based on the books, I'm a very big canon person, where everything has to be as close as I can get it to the books, haha.

Quote: "Good luck with updating it and we'll look forward to the beta. It's a really interesting project."

Thanks .

Quote: "I had a look through the forum of the "original" Harry Potter MUD site that you linked to. A lot of tumbleweed there. It's a shame when projects like that just grind to a halt, but it seems to be almost inevitable with large and complex projects that have lots of people working on them. It's almost impossible to complete something like that by committee. It reminds me of a line from one of the Dragonlance rules book for D&D (I know this is unbearably geeky, but still). It was on the rules for calculating how long it takes a gnome to construct a device, and said something like: "Having more gnomes working on the project does not reduce the development time. If you have ever worked with gnomes you will know why." "

Yes, it is a shame that such a cool project has basically stopped. It's also frustrating that no one there wants to help me with mine, even though I'm offering them my entire engine to use.

Quote: "I had a go at the MUD last night as well; Gil got most of my comments but I'll reiterate them here. Overall I was very impressed: it felt very immersive and satisfying because the world was easily affected by what you do (eg. destroy then repair a suit of armour). The spell casting mechanics are also excellent!"

Glad you like it and thanks for trying it out .

Quote: "Shoot, I just realised I forgot to drop my wand before I left last night... sorry, I'm trying to log back in now so I can put it back."

No problem, I think I put in 5 wands so there should be plenty . Yeah, I restarted the server after you left so all player stats are deleted (going to change that next version).

Quote: "Also, it might be a good idea to add some sound effects to act as quick alerts or signals to the player. Kind of like msn: you could play a sound for when someone logs in or logs out, and for when someone says something to you; that way you could leave the MUD running in the background if you're waiting for someone, without having to check the console every five minutes or so. You could also have a sound effect for when the flow of your wand movements is broken, so the player knows it's happened as soon as it occurs. It might help the flow if people are, for example, duelling."

Yeah, good idea, I might eventually add sound effects (with the option to turn them off) as well as more advanced visuals. I like to leave options open for players.

Quote: "Most of what I'm missing till now is an acceptable combat system. For now, it's who casts what faster, but there's no way to counter or dodge anything at all. Now, there is not supposed to be a lot of time but still - some would be good."

Yup, I know what you mean. The only thing you can do is hope to cast protego quickly. There is the cover mechanic too, so I hope that gets used in combat. I have a dodge action planned for the next update, and I'm still trying to come up with more interesting and fun counters .

Quote: "Gil, I might have accidently left you knocked out. My apologies for that."

Haha, I see you were kind enough to revive me. Fortunately, I have the password to allow me to connect more than once so I could revive myself anyways .

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 21:23
Quote: "No problem, I think I put in 5 wands so there should be plenty"

Phew, I'd hate to be responsible for a shortage in the wand-economy

Quote: "more interesting and fun counters"

A steel umbrella.

I guess if you add several ways to counter, there would have to be advantages and disadvantages to each. So protego is more time-consuming and fades after a few seconds, but is 100% effective against spells. Cover is 70% effective but takes some typing. Perhaps dodge could be 50% effective but is the easiest, since it's only one word to type?

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 22:24
Also, the babbling spell should be nerfed :p

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 22:48
It's too bad this has to be dependent on Hamachi. I hope you can figure out WAN with Multisync or something.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 23:16
It's just port forwarding and dynamic DNS. That's all you need to set it up.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 01:58
Quote: "Quote: "No problem, I think I put in 5 wands so there should be plenty"
Phew, I'd hate to be responsible for a shortage in the wand-economy "

Haha .

Quote: "Quote: "more interesting and fun counters"
A steel umbrella. "

Hehe, that would certainly be interesting .

Quote: "I guess if you add several ways to counter, there would have to be advantages and disadvantages to each. So protego is more time-consuming and fades after a few seconds, but is 100% effective against spells. Cover is 70% effective but takes some typing. Perhaps dodge could be 50% effective but is the easiest, since it's only one word to type?
"

Yeah, I'll have to come up with different ways to counter each with advantages and disadvantages.

Quote: "Also, the babbling spell should be nerfed :p"

Haha, why? It's in the books .

Quote: "It's too bad this has to be dependent on Hamachi. I hope you can figure out WAN with Multisync or something."

Only for now, in the real version (this was just a "tech demo" of sorts) it will not use Hamachi. Hopefully I'll have my own server, if not, I'll use port forwarding like Nex suggested until I do.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 03:35
Hmm... Port forwarding... What exactly do you guys mean by that? Explain please.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 03:40
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 03:52
I think the babbling spell should prevent the opponent from saying correct spells for a bit of time. I mean how can they shout "Expelliarmus!" if they're too busy babbling to themselves?

The one and only,

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 04:12
All of this is way over my head. Why can't you just use Multisync to network over the internet? What's so different from that? Why can't you do it like the Lego MMORPPG? It seems very efficient, although I've never seen the source code.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 09:16 Edited at: 12th Jul 2009 09:16
Quote: "I think the babbling spell should prevent the opponent from saying correct spells for a bit of time. I mean how can they shout "Expelliarmus!" if they're too busy babbling to themselves?
"

It already does that .

Quote: "All of this is way over my head. Why can't you just use Multisync to network over the internet?"

Multisync corrects using an IP address. Because my computer is on a network, you cannot connect directly to my IP address unless I use port forwarding on the router to say exactly which computer on the network you want to connect to.

Quote: "Why can't you do it like the Lego MMORPPG? It seems very efficient, although I've never seen the source code.
"

Because I have no idea how Lego MMORPG does it? I have not gone around to all of the online projects asking how they did their multiplayer...

Anyways, I've nearly completed a dynamic and scripted dialogue system with NPCs that I think is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself . Hopefully I'll have a video of it tomorrow.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 14:53
Quote: "Anyways, I've nearly completed a dynamic and scripted dialogue system with NPCs that I think is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself . Hopefully I'll have a video of it tomorrow."

Ooh nice

As for all this port multiplayer IP stuff: I just know so little about this stuff that my attempting to join the conversation would be like a chipmunk trying to play a piano concerto.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 17:10 Edited at: 12th Jul 2009 17:11
I think AIML bots would be awesome. Someone made an AIML interpreter plugin before for DBPro. Can't remember who or what it was called, though.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 06:48 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 06:50
Quote: "I think AIML bots would be awesome. Someone made an AIML interpreter plugin before for DBPro. Can't remember who or what it was called, though."

Never heard of those before, but I just looked them up, and they actually look a lot like what I did .

I completed the dialogue system today, and it seems to work very well so far . I may post a video of it tomorrow (it's really not very interesting to watch) since it's getting late now, but here is an explanation of how it works...

If the player wants to talk to a character, they type 'talk [npc name]', which brings up a list of the first parts of options. For example, if the dialogues of a npc are:
Who are you?
Who are the Death Eaters?
Who are the professors at Hogwarts?
What are you doing?
What do you need done?
What do you like to do?

Then the options:
1) Who
2) What

would show up. If the player enters 1, then the options:
1) are you?
2) are the

would show up, and then if he enters 2, then:
1) Death Eaters?
2) professors at Hogwarts?

And then if he entered 1, it would show, "You say, 'Who are the Death Eaters?' to [npc name]", and they would respond with a scripted response. So basically, you are constructing a sentence part by part (with up to 5 parts, though most dialogues won't need more than 2 or 3). This in itself I think is pretty cool, but the best part is that it's all scripted to allow for responses and dialogue options based on certain conditions. Here's an example of code:

Where <d indicates a dialogue the player can select. The ` is the dialogue definition indicates where the dialogue is "broken up" into the separate parts. So in this case, the player would have the option:
1) What
Then, if they selected that,
1) is your
Then if they select that,
1) name?
2) job?

The cool part is that an option will only show up if the conditions are met, for example, in this part:

the player.familiar=0 means that the player must not know the npc (there is an introduce command now, which allows you to see NPC names rather than descriptions) to be able to ask that question.

Then there is allowed to be up to 10 responses for each dialogue, in this case there are only 2:

Which have conditions of their own. If the player is between the age of 0 and 19, she will answer that her name is Professor McGonagall, but if the player is 20 or older, she will answer with her first name as well, Minerva. In the second dialogue:

The option will always be available to ask, but the response will differ based on whether the question has already been asked or not, so that adds some appearance of intelligence to the npc. If you ask someone what their job is twice in real life, they would likely not answer the same way the second time you ask as the first. It's also possible to add actions to each response, for example:

Would set the players age (I know that one's not very useful, but just an example) to 10 if she responded in that way.

Lastly (nope not done yet, for all 3 of you that are still with me ), there are things called "scripts", which allow NPCs to perform actions or talk to you first without you having to initiate contact. That's this part of the script:

Scripts will be initiated automatically if all conditions are met in it, in this case, if the player is in the same room as the npc and knows the player. These can also have actions attached to them, for example adding this between <s and </s>:

Would bound the player (make him unable to move) with the prompt "McGonagall holds you until you greet her back!".

Next I'm planning to add dynamic variables within responses so instead of:

you could so something like:

And it would automatically insert the players name into the text.

So, to the both of you that are still reading this, you probably don't really care, but I just had to explain it to someone because I'm so proud of it . It's probably the most difficult thing to program I've had to do in a while (and almost nothing is difficult for me now, a lot of things are just tedious), but I'm very happy with the outcome, and I think it will allow for some great player-npc dialogue within the game.

Video might come tomorrow if I decide to make one, but it's really not that interesting to watch, just fun to play and script.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:22:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:22:04